The Official Overrated Actors/Actresseseses Thread

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:03 pm

minstrel wrote:John Malkovich. He was good in "In The Line Of Fire", but pretty ordinary in most other things I've seen him in. And he was impossibly, sleepwalkingly awful in "The Man In The Iron Mask".

Mostly, the guy doesn't have it.

Malkovich's acting is very stylized for me to the point where I'm not sure whether he's good or just effective. The same goes for Jeremy Irons to a lesser degree.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:04 pm

king_of_nowhere wrote:
Scarlett excluded, because everyone seems to remember & like Lost In Translation, which i thought was completely overrated, but that belongs in another thread somewhere.

I loved 'Lost in Translation' but it's appeal and success for me wasn't Scarlett, it was Bill Murray.

*Back to overrated actors - sorry for deviating* :)
Maui
WoWie

Postby Zarles on Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:16 pm

Maui wrote:
king_of_nowhere wrote:
Scarlett excluded, because everyone seems to remember & like Lost In Translation, which i thought was completely overrated, but that belongs in another thread somewhere.

I loved 'Lost in Translation' but it's appeal and success for me wasn't Scarlett, it was Bill Murray.

Agreed. Bill made that movie. If it was just Scarlett looking pretty and someone else, it wouldn't have been nearly as successful.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:24 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:
Chilli wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:I don't know why Meryl Streep is always brought up in lists of America's most versatile actresses. She's either really weepy and emotional (The Deer Hunter), or the waspy Ice Queen (Manhattan). I really don't see much range in between.

Word. She can act, but lets not get carried away.

Edward Norton is the same for me.

Good choice. I loved him in Fight Club and American History X. But if I'm honest with myself, he's another impressionist posing as an actor (see The Painted Veil and The Illusionist).

That might be what made his role in Primal Fear so effective, because he totally commits to the idea of creating two distinct characters. At the same time, I feel like he deserves more credit than that. It's weird for me to be taking this stance because I think Norton blands it up in a lot of his movies, but, that scene in Primal Fear where Richard Gere's character tricks him into becoming Roy in the interrogation room? Everything about him noticeably shifts, even his posture. It's hard to put my finger on it, but in that moment he seriously looks like he could destroy Richard Gere if he wanted to. That's what convinced me he was something special (occasionally :wink: ).
Last edited by Ribbons on Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby godzillasushi on Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:27 pm

Zarles wrote:
Maui wrote:
king_of _nowhere wrote:

Agreed. Bill made that movie. If it was just Scarlett looking pretty and someone else, it wouldn't have been nearly as successful.

Awwww,

Well I don't think it would have been the same movie without her! His role was only as special as he felt around her right? Guess I could read too much into it but I think he was good because he was playing off of her. I personally can't see anyone else there.

(Defending her in that movie of course, not the other ones)

I haven't seen enough of her to think overated yet. I need a Nanny Diaries sequel for that...
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:36 pm

godzillasushi wrote: I need a Nanny Diaries sequel for that...

Lord, please no!!!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Zarles on Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:39 pm

godzillasushi wrote:
Zarles wrote:
Maui wrote:
king_of _nowhere wrote:

Awwww,

Well I don't think it would have been the same movie without her! His role was only as special as he felt around her right? Guess I could read too much into it but I think he was good because he was playing off of her. I personally can't see anyone else there.

(Defending her in that movie of course, not the other ones)

I haven't seen enough of her to think overated yet. I need a Nanny Diaries sequel for that...

Nah. Any pretty girl could've done what she did in that movie. Zooey Deschanel, for example...
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:47 pm

Well if it came down to looking pretty then sure.

If it comes down to chemistry we won't know that. :wink:

Sorry for partial thread-jack but we should have every right to debate it! 8-)
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:49 pm

I just found this, I thought it was rather funny and agree with most of the choices:

Julia Roberts- She gets all the good roles for her likability factor and her icon status, not her acting chops.

Angelina Jolie- I think she's a wonderful actress, but she can't choose a role to save her life, and that is half the battle.

Lindsey Lohan- Good in Mean Girls, but hasn't done a single other good movie, which means she shouldn't still be famous, technically.

Katie Holmes- Name one good movie she's done, go! The TomKat wedding video doesn't count.

Hillary Duff- She'll be doing infomercials in another five years. Her acting skills are too shotty to afford any kind of staying power.

Jennifer Aniston- She has a TON of potential, but like Jolie, she needs to learn to choose her roles wisely. Romantic comedies aren't the way.

Gwyneth Paltrow- People like her for her grace and her fashion sense, but her acting is translucent. I want to see her in a powerful role.

Nicole Kidman- People act like she's royalty, but for every one good movie she's done, she has about four flops. She's been playing a variation of the same frail character for over ten years, she should try switching it up a bit.

Meg Ryan- She's queen of the romantic comedy, but how much skill does that really take?

Cameron Diaz- One of the highest paid actresses in Hollywood, and for what? Name one good movie she's done besides Gangs of New York. Yeah, there isn't one.

Jennifer Lopez- Her ego practically explodes off the screen, eclipsing any real talent she might have.

Halle Berry- Has done a few really good movies, but also some really awful ones that were clearly just for the money. Actresses should be worthy of praise when they've done a body of consistently good work, not just getting lucky when showing their boobs.

Jennifer Garner- She belongs on television, not the big screen.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:52 pm

Jennifer Aniston- She has a TON of potential, but like Jolie, she needs to learn to choose her roles wisely. Romantic comedies aren't the way.

Apart from Matthew Perry who has actually shown that he can do a good job, all the main Friends cast are pretty dodgy.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:57 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Apart from Matthew Perry who has actually shown that he can do a good job, all the main Friends cast are pretty dodgy.

The monkey was pretty good in Outbreak...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:14 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:Apart from Matthew Perry who has actually shown that he can do a good job, all the main Friends cast are pretty dodgy.

True. And the coffee shop owner was...satisfactory in that advert Channel 4 made him do.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:18 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:

True. And the coffee shop owner was...satisfactory in that advert Channel 4 made him do.

haha. Gunther? Yeah I know that...sad.

Kudrow is funny here and there. Aniston is really hit and miss. Nobody really likes Schwimmer and I think Matt LeBlanc might be dead? :shock:
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby tapehead on Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:20 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:Nobody really likes Schwimmer

He did a good guest spot recently on 30 Rock (GREENZO!) that made me considerably less indifferent towards him... but he's still David Schwimmer.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby DaleTremont on Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:26 pm

Kudrow will always be A-OK in my book just by virtue of Romy and Michelle's Highschool Reunion (even though Mira Sorvino was totally the Mary.)

I didn't mind her in that movie Happy Endings, and I've heard she's actually really good in The Comeback.

As for the rest...thank god for Friends residuals.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:27 pm

tapehead wrote:

He did a good guest spot recently on 30 Rock that made me considerably less indifferent towards him... but he's still David Schwimmer.

He was in Big Nothing with Simon Pegg. The film it's self isn't great, kinda reminds me of Ice Harvest.
He kinda plays a part quite different to Ross, but, well it's Schwimmer, so even if he doesn't act the same way we're all thinking "ah, it's Ross".
I wouldn't say he's versatile, but i wouldn't say he's over rated either.
He's probably the least rated out of the main 6 in Friends.

I hear he's planning to direct a 3rd movie though, so maybe he's given up on acting.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:28 pm

DaleTremont wrote:Kudrow will always be A-OK in my book just by virtue of Romy and Michelle's Highschool Reunion (even though Mira Sorvino was totally the Mary.)

I didn't mind her in that movie Happy Endings, and I've heard she's actually really good in The Comeback.

As for the rest...thank god for Friends residuals.

I haven't seen P.S. I Love You, but even the really bad reviews (which were most of the reviews) said that the movie could have done with a little more Kudrow, so i guess she was ok in that too...
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Seppuku on Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:32 pm

Didn't expect this from the biggest Band of Brothers fan on the board.

Not saying I disagree with you, mind. Other than Apt Pupil (and BOB), I've never liked anything he's been in.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:35 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:

Didn't expect this from the biggest Band of Brothers fan on the board.

Not saying I disagree with you, mind. Other than Apt Pupil (and BOB), I've never liked anything he's been in.

hahaha, BOB made it worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fucking Sobel.

Schwimmer did a decent enough job in that role, though.
Lord Voldemoo

Overrated Movies (Lists are the new (meet joe) black)

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:55 am

Johnny Depp is overrated. As good as he may be, he is NOT the world's number one best actor as the Channel Four Top 100 survey put him.

Also I think that he may have run out of tricks. Playing Mr Eccentric a bit too much lately and a guy that I always thought a bit bland anyway, I'm not sure where he has to go next. Dramatic heavyweight, he ain't.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Re: Overrated Movies (Lists are the new (meet joe) black)

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:22 pm

i agree that depp needs to take a break from all the eccentric roles. it's fine from time to time, and can be really fun once in a while, but when practically every movie is him doing some weird voice or mannerisms, it's too much. he's in danger of becoming a caricature of himself. if he wants to be taken seriously as an actor again, he needs to take a break from the oddball characters and do a serious dramatic role, something like he had in donnie brasco or what's eating gilbert grape. mainly, he needs a trial separation from tim burton, it would do them both some good. maybe this will happen when he starts yearning for a best actor oscar and goes searching for one of those oscar-bait roles. hopefully he won't be playing a retard though, since that would kind of defeat the purpose.

maybe in the next POTC movie, he can play a retarded pirate... it can be called POTC: Simple Captain Jack.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Marksman230591 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:29 pm

I don't think Depp's overrated at all. And Cpt Kirks 2pay, I think your problem with him is that he's just playing weird, unusual roles too much for your taste, not really that he's actually a bad actor, because he's not. If you've seen other, more dramatic roles he's played, like in Finding Neverland, you'd see that he's just as capable of playing real-world dramatic roles as much as his eccentric ones like Jack Sparrow, Willy Wonka and Sweeney Todd. And get ready, because he's gonna be playing Sparrow yet again next year for PotC 4 :D

But in all honesty, I don't think Depp's overrated at all. He's demonstrated to be an amazingly dynamic actor, capable of playing both serious and comedic roles, which is something that VERY few actors can do these days. It's just that he's been playing too many characters lately that really don't show his real acting chops.
Marksman230591
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:54 pm

As great an actor as he is, I think Johnny Depp is put on too high a pedestal though. Again I do not think he is one of the very very VERY best actors alive, let alone the top 10, 5 or number 1 even, as lists have put him. He's watchable and enjoyable, no doubt about it.

But if anyone out there tells me that his looks have nothing to do with his fame or reputation, then that's total horseshit. With so many girls raving about him and him featuring just as high on the sexy lists in the world as much as he does the actors list, if someone says that he didn't get to where he is as an actor due to his good looks, that's just croc. We all know that looks help an actor SO much. Brad Pitt the same. If they didn't have the looks, they wouldn't be working so much, if at all.

How relevant/unrelevant is good looks to an actor though? Or why am I bringing any of this post up? I dunno, it's just a lot better than having to read all of that other unrelevant crap about Johnny taking a crap I guess.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Al Shut on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:23 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i agree that depp needs to take a break from all the eccentric roles. it's fine from time to time, and can be really fun once in a while, but when practically every movie is him doing some weird voice or mannerisms, it's too much. he's in danger of becoming a caricature of himself. if he wants to be taken seriously as an actor again, he needs to take a break from the oddball characters and do a serious dramatic role, something like he had in donnie brasco or what's eating gilbert grape. mainly, he needs a trial separation from tim burton, it would do them both some good. maybe this will happen when he starts yearning for a best actor oscar and goes searching for one of those oscar-bait roles. hopefully he won't be playing a retard though, since that would kind of defeat the purpose.

maybe in the next POTC movie, he can play a retarded pirate... it can be called POTC: Simple Captain Jack.

Looking at his IMDB page that's possibly more perception than thruth, although I'd need to know more about the upcoming movies to be sure or watch Parnassus for that matter
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:34 pm

Well perception these actors are more responsible for more than they would admit, or how their CV shows. It's not just quantity, it's how big the role or movie is, how they know they are gonna be seen and by how many etc.

It's a bit like all that bollox that Harrison Ford tries to fob us off with by saying he is not an action hero actor, he plays lawyers, doctors as well oh bullshit Harrison don't try and fool us! You know EXACTLY what you're doing and how you're gonna come across to your viewers and with good reason. You do too many high brow highly watched roles that you know define you in a certain way that anything else you do is not gonna balance it out.

Same with Johnny. You're controlling that image that you put out, not because of the amount of roles, but because of how well that role is gonna be associated and seen by you.

EDIT.
Just did a IMDB check on Depp, and yep, there's far too many eccentric roles in there that out % him NOT to be an actor of eccentric people. The quantity or such weirdo characters IS that big.

Now we're gonna say, what makes a character to be 'eccentric'? Could his character in From Hell or even the double persona in Donnie Brasco be an eccentric?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:17 pm

for Depp's own sake he should not answer any calls from Tim Burton for the next decade or so at least, imo. he is too good in movies like Gilbert Grape, Donnie Brasco, and Finding Neverland to continue to his current trend of doing one outrageous character after another. i would like to think he would want a substantial role to work with before too long and I am looking forward to seeing what that role is.....one without make-up or special fx or prosthetics...

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:48 pm

Don't get me wrong, I have heartfelt belief in Depp to have a long lasting career that won't burn out as he is remarkably diverse. Try and do a Johnny Depp impersonation? Can't do. You still can't get a definitive handle on the guy, he's so different all the time. Just wish as is what is said above, that he indulges and pulls off some more straight, heavy and demanding roles. If so he could be as diverse as Keanu Reeves.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:12 pm

i can do a johnny depp impersonation. i just mumble in a really low, deep voice.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:15 pm

mine is, i chain smoke and constantly flip or brush the hair out of my eyes

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Seppuku on Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:33 pm

I do a good Johnny Depp tripped out on ether mumbling, "Dogs fucked the pope. No fault of mine."
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:30 pm

I do a great Johnny Depp impression where I sit on top of a large pile of money and give all you guys the finger... the bad one, of course.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby The Vicar on Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:48 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:I do a great Johnny Depp impression where I sit on top of a large pile of money and give all you guys the finger... the bad one, of course.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:52 pm

My Depp impression is shagging Winona Ryder and Vanessa Paradis, I win.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Re: The Official Overrated Actors/Actresseseses Thread

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:52 am

Uma Thurman
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Napset on Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:37 am

DerLanghaarige wrote:Uma Thurman

She's not Overrated: She just works on seriously bad movies.I d0n't get it....why?!?!
I hope Tarantino will call her back soon!!!
Don't Kid a Kidder!
Houseroom Productions :

I'm Italian and I'm writing from Rome so....sorry for my fucking bad english!
Napset
GLIB

Postby Marksman230591 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:08 pm

Napset wrote:
DerLanghaarige wrote:Uma Thurman

She's not Overrated: She just works on seriously bad movies.I d0n't get it....why?!?!
I hope Tarantino will call her back soon!!!

Didn't he say he was planning on doing another Kill Bill movie?

Which I really don't get how he'll pull off. I mean, how can you do more Kill Bill movies if Bill is, you know... dead? Both in the movie and in real-life? (RIP David Carradine)

Unless, of course, he makes up a totally different story with different characters and a different Bill
Marksman230591
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:15 pm

Uma Thurman is going to seek revenge on an expired jar of pickles in Kill Dill.

Or maybe she'll commit suicide by taking a Kill Pill.

Or maybe she'll go after a has-been radio talk show host and Kill Tyll.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:17 pm

Kill Phil?

I'd watch that movie.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby King Of Nowhere on Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:31 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Try and do a Johnny Depp impersonation? Can't do.

Just do a bad David Bowie impression.

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:...he is remarkably diverse.

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:...he's so different all the time.

That's the problem though, he's not.

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:If so he could be as diverse as Keanu Reeves.

Oh, right...
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Peven on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:00 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Try and do a Johnny Depp impersonation? Can't do.

Just do a bad David Bowie impression.

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:...he is remarkably diverse.

That's the problem though, he's not.

Gilbert Grape
Donnie Brasco
Chocolate
The Astronaut's Wife
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Blow
Sleepy Hollow
The Libertine
POTC

no, no diversity there :roll:

on another note: someone today claimed Antarctica wasn't THAT cold......

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Seppuku on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:25 pm

Well in the last few years he does seem to be doing strange synergies of his past characters. Just turn down the HST a little, turn up the Jack Sparrow and give him a green wig: et voila, Willy Wonka! Turn up the HST, add three tablespoons of Donnie Brasko and a sprinkling of Ichabod Crane: it's the blind CIA agent in Once Upon a Time in Mexico. Etc.

The absolute worst thing an actor can ever do is let you know that they're acting, and even in his better movies like Donnie Brasko there's a self-consciousness there that lets you know that he's playing a role. It just doesn't seem real to me in the scenes where he gets angry at Anne Heche for hiding his money. He's too measured and composed a guy to sell it. The range of movies he does may be broad, but the tone of his performances in them isn't.

As far as Hollywood actors go though, I think he's a really nice guy. He became a close friend of one of my personal heroes HST, and I trust Hunter's judgement enough to know Depp is sound as a bell. He also doesn't fall for all that showbiz crap and does the occasional really cool thing, like appear on The Fast Show. I just wish there was more life in his performances.

Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:43 pm

Seppuku wrote:

Typical American. Has to display his acting talent by SWEARING. (Don't believe me, ask Alan Parker, he said he same thing about US actors.) The only actor in that show ever to swear. Whereas the British actors around him have shown more emotional interpretation as well as diversity with their performances and can act him or any American actor off the screen. Says. It. All.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:46 pm

i guess that is why "Love Actually" is SO good, eh Kirk?

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby King Of Nowhere on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:49 pm

Peven wrote:
Gilbert Grape
Donnie Brasco
Chocolate
The Astronaut's Wife
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Blow
Sleepy Hollow
The Libertine
POTC

no, no diversity there :roll:

Out of the 40+ movies he's been in, you can only name nine standout performances where it's not him re-hashing a previous character.

If he's only brining something new to the table one role out of every four or five, that would make him the opposite of diverse.

Seppuku wrote:Well in the last few years he does seem to be doing strange synergies of his past characters. Just turn down the HST a little, turn up the Jack Sparrow and give him a green wig: et voila, Willy Wonka! Turn up the HST, add three tablespoons of Donnie Brasko and a sprinkling of Ichabod Crane: it's the blind CIA agent in Once Upon a Time in Mexico. Etc.

Exactly.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Peven on Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:02 pm

ok, KON, put up the name of an actor or two you think has had a diverse career, and is a quality actor....

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:27 pm

I think if you pick apart any actor's body of work, you can recognize either elements of themselves or prior roles in each film they make. Depp just invites the scrutiny because so many of his characters are superficially different. I wouldn't disagree that he's overrated, because anybody *that* famous kind of is. But I think he's a good actor and I actually have no problem with his career choices; in fact, for me it's the opposite. Burton isn't limiting Depp in any way, that's just who he is. Look at Jack Sparrow, Benny and Joon, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, the work he's done with Terry Gilliam. His sensibilities just skew towards the weird, for the most part. And while I think he CAN play "normal" people effectively, I wouldn't say he's wasting his talents by doing so less often. Starring in children's movies or as oddballs isn't any less legitimate than playing John Dillinger or J.M. Barrie, even if most actors have other goals. And actually, I think someone with the ability and inclination to create so many distinct, compelling (and yes, strange) characters is all the more special for how rare they are.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:08 am

well put, Ribbons. and i think you saw what i was trying to get at, and so did KON, which is why he failed to respond. because he knows that any actor he puts up could be accused of taking bits from one character to use for another in a long career, it is part of the nature of the profession.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:16 am

Peven wrote:ok, KON, put up the name of an actor or two you think has had a diverse career, and is a quality actor....

Off the top of my head: Viggo Mortensen, Sean Penn & Christian Bale.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Peven on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:24 am

King Of Nowhere wrote:
Peven wrote:ok, KON, put up the name of an actor or two you think has had a diverse career, and is a quality actor....

and these guys don't borrow pieces of characters from what they have done in the past for roles??? Bean's character in Ronin is obviously a big part of how he played Borimir. Mortensen has used pieces of the navy seal drill sargeant in various roles since then, and then Arogorn was added to his repertoire, and Bale uses the same slick charm part of his American Psycho character to play Bruce Wayne, just for starters.

and i really like all three of these guys, too.

though i do find it more than coincidental that 2 of the three were major characters in LOTR....someone partial to Middle Earth?

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:36 am

King Of Nowhere wrote:

sean penn, definitely.

christian bale, i dunno. check out reign of fire and then terminator salvation. or check out how he borrowed from his american psycho performance for bruce wayne. i think bale is a good actor, but you can definitely see him carrying certain things over from one film to the next.

viggo, i can't really say, i haven't seen enough of his performances outside the LOTR films and eastern promises.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

PreviousNext

Return to Actor Discussion