Does Will Ferrell Suck?

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

Does Will Ferrell Suck?

Postby JpPrewitt789 on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:49 am

Me and a few of my friends were arguing about this the other day. Seeing all of his movies, in which he basically plays the same character every time, I now think that will Ferrell sucks. It seems like he thinks he's way funnier than he actually is, and he's just more annoying than funny. Anyone share this sentiment?
JpPrewitt789
REAL DRAGON

Postby so sorry on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:52 am

Yes.

Next question?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:55 am

I think he's funny, it may be like you say that they are putting the same character in different situations... I loved anchorman and old school... i also liked his little bit in wedding crashers... and i even quite liked stranger then fiction, although it could have done with being a little more out there...

aside from the cowbell sketch what i have seen of his Saturday night live stuff appears to not be too good... Wasn't a fan of some of his other films - blades of glory for one, which i thought was quite lame...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby tangerine on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:56 am

One word: TYPECAST! I prefer Vince Vaughn.
tangerine
AIRWOLF

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:11 am

you mean, you prefer Vince Vaughan as a shitty actor/comedian who plays the same role in every movie. It's like having a cow turd in one hand and a horse turd in the other and saying you prefer the cow.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:12 am

The best I have seen him is in Winters Passing.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fawst on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:17 am

He IS a funny guy, and he can be really good. The problem is that he has Chris Rock syndrome. Chris is a fuckin funny bastard. That guy makes me CRY laughing. But he just can NOT do good movies. There's something about him, he's just not funny like that.

Will Ferrell always made me laugh my ass off with his Alex Trebec impression during Celebrity Jeopardy. I also liked the Spartans cheerleader bit. It was good stuff. So yes, he can BE funny, but his movies are just very blah. I don't think all of his characters are the same, but there's no denying that it's close. Anchorman is certainly not Ricky Bobby, or what's-his-name from the skating movie. But Ricky Bobby and the skating guy? Pretty interchangeable I think.

At least he wasn't the same completely in Stranger Than Fiction. I think (hope) he'll try something fresh for Land of the Lost. I don't see that character as a bumbling moron, even though he loves to make bumbling morons into highly successful characters. *shrug*
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tangerine on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:20 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:you mean, you prefer Vince Vaughan as a shitty actor/comedian who plays the same role in every movie. It's like having a cow turd in one hand and a horse turd in the other and saying you prefer the cow.

Well yeah, I do put these guys in the same category, and they've acted together a number of times. They were introduced to me at about the same time and I will always compare them to each other.

Plus, Vaugn is more fuckable.
tangerine
AIRWOLF

Postby godzillasushi on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:20 am

Night at the Roxbury 8-)

His SNL stuff is pretty memorable. Alex Trebek was my favorite character of his.

But yea Old School was a good one. Anchorman is great.

Blades of Glory was a credit to the entire cast, not him alone. Talledega Nights is the popular hater. Whatever, he's not going anywhere anytime soon.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:30 am

No.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:33 am

tangerine wrote:
Retardo_Montalban wrote:you mean, you prefer Vince Vaughan as a shitty actor/comedian who plays the same role in every movie. It's like having a cow turd in one hand and a horse turd in the other and saying you prefer the cow.

Well yeah, I do put these guys in the same category, and they've acted together a number of times. They were introduced to me at about the same time and I will always compare them to each other.

No way, Will Ferrel is way cuter. Vaughn has goblin eyes.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:36 am

Ferrell is comedy gold. Just very particular comedy gold.
The thing that makes him so funny to me is that he plays his characters very seriously even though they're being very very stupid.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby tangerine on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:41 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:
tangerine wrote:

Ferrell: crap comedian with horse-like face

Vaughn: tall, handsome father figure

tangerine: messed up girl who needs looking after

I'd totally do Vaughn :cool:
tangerine
AIRWOLF

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:43 am

tangerine wrote:
Retardo_Montalban wrote:
tangerine wrote:

Ferrell: crap comedian with horse-like face

Vaughn: tall, handsome father figure

tangerine: messed up girl who needs looking after

I'd totally do Vaughn :cool:

Vince Vaugh got Steve Buscemi stabbed in the neck. He is A-#1 asshole
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Vegeta on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:46 am

Does Will Ferrel suck?

Yes and no. I think it's the problem I have with almost every Saturday Night Live alumni that is in films. Can they be funny? Ofcourse, all have had some very funny comedic moments and can be downright hysterical. On the other hand, they almost all are comedic whores who will take damn near any part without much thought and jam their resume full of less than funny performances in very weak films.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby tangerine on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:49 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:Vince Vaugh got Steve Buscemi stabbed in the neck. He is A-#1 asshole

:?:
tangerine
AIRWOLF

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:03 am

While I got no idea about his sexual preferences, I would say "no". I wouldn't call him comedy gold or one of the best comedians out there, but his movies make me most of the time laugh very hard.
Although he's best when he is surrounded by a good ensemble (like in Anchorman or Talladega Nights).
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby thomasgaffney on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:25 am

No.

Next question?
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:29 am

Milk was a bad choice......
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bluebottle on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:45 am

it's not just SNL alumni, it's comedians in general. we love them, we get too much of them, we bash them, someone new comes along.

and lately it's been "groups" (frat pack, apatow's league)...

we loved jim carrey and mike myers, then got sick of them. then we loved ferrell and his crew, now we're getting sick of them.

5 years from now, we'll be complaining that steve carell and seth rogan suck.

it has less to do with the comedians and more to do with the public's need for MORE and the studio's desire to cash in on a hit.

i'm not exempt, i loved anchorman, but got tired of ferrell during blades of glory.

this new movie looks really tiring... the whole "wow... that's unbelievable" schtick (paul rudd does it a lot) has worn thin.

anyway.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:50 am

bluebottle wrote:this new movie looks really tiring... the whole "wow... that's unbelievable" schtick (paul rudd does it a lot) has worn thin.

Paul Rudd can do other things besides comedy though and do it well.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby bluebottle on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:53 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
bluebottle wrote:this new movie looks really tiring... the whole "wow... that's unbelievable" schtick (paul rudd does it a lot) has worn thin.

yeah, no, i really like paul rudd, i think he's got a lot of charm.

i was just trying to... that group (the frat pack) does this "thing" - paul rudd does it a lot, and the trailer for the new ferrel movie - it's a way they talk... i don't know how to describe it... it's starting to get irritating.

"what? no... that's classy... that's unbelievable... he's just a baby". fuck, i dunno.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:58 am

bluebottle wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

yeah, no, i really like paul rudd, i think he's got a lot of charm.

i was just trying to... that group (the frat pack) does this "thing" - paul rudd does it a lot, and the trailer for the new ferrel movie - it's a way they talk... i don't know how to describe it... it's starting to get irritating.

"what? no... that's classy... that's unbelievable... he's just a baby". fuck, i dunno.

I can understand where your coming from. I think it's because that's what the public expects from their comedians. The unfortunate state of affairs.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Bayouwolf on Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:00 pm

Will Ferrel sucks in my eyes. I loathe Dane Cook for the same reasons. One trick ponies. Boooooooring...

(Oh, and they're not funny either...)
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:02 pm

Bayou wrote:Will Ferrel sucks in my eyes. I loathe Dane Cook for the same reasons. One trick ponies. Boooooooring...

(Oh, and they're not funny either...)

Is their a thread for most over-rated comedian? Dane Cook would surely be the top contender there. I'm not funny so if I repeat it louder and louder then people will laugh!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby bluebottle on Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:04 pm

yeah, the first time i saw dane cook on tv, i couldn't believe how a) awful he was, and b) how much the audience loved him.

it was a strange experience.

he's that guy in high school who THINKS he's hilarious, and tries so hard to be funny, but he just isn't funny at all - to the point where you feel embarrassed for him.

yet people eat it up. so what the fuck do i know.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bayouwolf on Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:06 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote: I'm not funny so if I repeat it louder and louder then people will laugh!

Sam Kinison
/exception to that rule
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:18 pm

Does Will Ferrel Suck?

he did last night!

ba-ka-choo-BAH!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:44 pm

Will Ferrell can be extremely funny depending on the material and his supporting cast. I thought he was hilarious in both Old School and Anchorman... but if he had a different supporting cast in both, I can't say he would have still been as funny.
The material in both Ricky Bobby and Blades of Glory sucked for me, so I don't think the cast had anything to do with that.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby minstrel on Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:04 pm

I haven't seen every Will Ferrell movie, and that's probably because I don't think he's very funny. While I enjoyed Anchorman, the funniest parts came from the other cast members, not Ferrell. On the other hand, the most painfully, embarrassingly unfunny moment (the Jethro Tull flute imitation) was all Ferrell.

I give him full marks for trying, but he doesn't have the gift, IMO.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby so sorry on Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:05 pm

There seems to be a consensus here:

Old School and Anchorman are good, what follows is bad.

Allow me to analyze: Will was in a supporting role in Old School, so taken in smaller doses, his schtick was funny.

Anchorman was his first feature film* as that kinda guy... the douchey, misogynist, dumbass, goof ball, but oh so lovable dipshit.

What followed Anchorman was that same dumb shit, except as a Nascar driver, or a TV star, or a soccer coach, or a figure skater, etc etc etc.

*yes, I know that he did Elf a year before anchordouche, but I'd be willing to say the elf-schtick is different enough
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:06 pm

bluebottle wrote:he's that guy in high school who THINKS he's hilarious, and tries so hard to be funny, but he just isn't funny at all - to the point where you feel embarrassed for him.

Yeah...he's the jock who thinks he's all hot and sexy and cool and funny...
And he tells you a joke at a party that he figures is the most amazing thing ever...even though it's a joke you actually told him (and told it better) many many parties ago...

But because he's popular for some reason, everybody laughs at it now like it's the most brilliant shit ever spouted...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby unikrunk on Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:25 pm

Everyone is taking crazy pills - the man is fucking hilarious; cowbell, anyone? Jesus fuck he makes some bad movies though, and there is where I think the problems lie.

His SNL stuff was almost always fucking drop dead
funny.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:31 pm

well, i've liked almost every will ferrel movie i've seen.

i liked elf. i liked anchorman. i liked talladega nights. old school was just kinda ok, overrated in my opinion. i really really liked stranger than fiction. and i liked him back on SNL.

as for the other stuff, the soccer movie, which i can't even remember the name of, sucked. but i think that was more because of the writing than ferrell. some of his SNL skits annoyed me, like the cheerleaders. and i haven't seen blades of glory.

so over all, it's a pretty high hit-to-miss ratio for me.

i think most comedic actors end up suffering a similar fate. look at what happened to chevy chase, dan akroyd, eddie murphy, jim carrey, adam sandler etc. all these guys were huge at some point, only to see their act get old. the "lucky" ones like john belushi and chris farley die before the public gets tired of them; if belushi was still around, we'd probably be talking about where his career went off the rails sometime during the late-80s, like we do with chase and akroyd. some have been able to branch out and continue to have success doing other things, usually more dramatic in nature, like steve martin or bill murray, or like carrey has tried to do with mixed success, or like murphy did with dreamgirls until he shitted that away with norbit. basically, any comedic actor seems to have a limited shelf life, at least as a comedy actor, and only a few can increase the longevity of their careers by expanding into non-comedic roles.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Seppuku on Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:04 pm

Me from the We Are in The Golden Age of Comedy Thread wrote:Will Ferrell and his goon crew all seem to me like the kids who would constantly over-act in drama class, shouting all the time, making douchebags of themselves, and always getting the best grades as a result. I just find that stuff more irritating than anything else, "Ooh ee, look at the crazy man on speed! Look at him go!" I'm not saying I don't laugh every now and then, it's just that his hyper shtick can get on my nerves quite often.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby DennisMM on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:22 pm

The second time anyone suggested doing "The Cheerleaders" he/she should have been beaten black and blue and locked in a closet. "The Cheerleaders" and the "Roxbury Guys" overwhelm everything else and make Will Ferrell's career un-funny.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby unikrunk on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:29 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:
Me from the We Are in The Golden Age of Comedy Thread wrote:Will Ferrell and his goon crew all seem to me like the kids who would constantly over-act in drama class, shouting all the time, making douchebags of themselves, and always getting the best grades as a result. I just find that stuff more irritating than anything else, "Ooh ee, look at the crazy man on speed! Look at him go!" I'm not saying I don't laugh every now and then, it's just that his hyper shtick can get on my nerves quite often.

I have to agree with Dennis on the Roxbury thing and the Cheerleader; I am sure there were many things that fell flat, but these examples are just fucking painful.

That being said, I don't think 'hyper' when I think of Ferrell; most of his stuff is deadpan, the more stoic or utterly ordinary the delivery the better. I am thinking of skits like "Training your new puppy through humiliation and Sarcasm"

Of course, there is the crazy shit out there too, but to my mind the good far outweighs the bad. I mean, we are not talking David Spade territory here.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:30 pm

I will admit a great fondness for the SNL sketch where the teenagers are trying to get cozy and the parents come downstairs in their underwear.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby theangiechrist on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:31 pm

bluebottle wrote:it's not just SNL alumni, it's comedians in general. we love them, we get too much of them, we bash them, someone new comes along.

and lately it's been "groups" (frat pack, apatow's league)...

we loved jim carrey and mike myers, then got sick of them. then we loved ferrell and his crew, now we're getting sick of them.

5 years from now, we'll be complaining that steve carell and seth rogan suck.

it has less to do with the comedians and more to do with the public's need for MORE and the studio's desire to cash in on a hit.

i'm not exempt, i loved anchorman, but got tired of ferrell during blades of glory.

this new movie looks really tiring... the whole "wow... that's unbelievable" schtick (paul rudd does it a lot) has worn thin.

anyway.

Agreed.
theangiechrist
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:34 pm

I like Ferrell in Elf because it's just a fun Christmas flick. I like him in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back because his line delivery is spot on. Everything else I've seen him in I've found him annoying and over-the-top. But I don't think that means he sucks, that's just my personal preference.

I'm the same with Adam Sandler - I thought he was bloody amazing in Reign Over Me but everything else he's done I find tedious, annoying and I just want to slap the man in the face. It's just down to personal taste!

After seeing Dumb & Dumber, I was close to feeling the same about Jim Carrey. But he's done many many many films I love, so he escaped my personal dislike (although The Grinch was a close call :-P ).
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:51 pm

i always loved the SNL skit where he's the dad of a dysfunctional family at dinner. i think sarah michelle gellar was in it as his daughter.

"you don't talk to me that way! i drive a dodge stratus! you don't talk to me that way!"

anytime i'd driving behind somebody in a dodge stratus now, i still crack up.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby beastie on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:52 pm

Will Ferrell's personality (which seems to appear in almost all of his characters) is a guilty pleasure of mine. So, for the most part, I like his movies. The one film I had a great dislike for, though, is Talladega Nights. His character being such a jerk throughout the entire movie, coupled with my loath of the racing culture made me hate it.
Anyway, there are a couple of comedians out there who, I think, do good movies every 3 times, but I still enjoy the bad ones. These are Vince Vaughn (actually hated Wedding Crashers), Will Ferrell and Ben Stiller.
Still, one of the hardest I've ever laughed in a theater was in Night at the Roxbury when Will Ferrell accidently slapped Chris Kattan across the face when he was trying to dance.
beastie
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby JpPrewitt789 on Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:29 pm

I will admit I never saw Blades of Glory, which is supposed to be okay, but I remember just being so disappointed after walking out of Taladega. He always makes me laugh whenever I watch him as Gene the cowbell player though, and Frank the Tank was a great character also.
JpPrewitt789
REAL DRAGON

Postby bluebottle on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:18 pm

the Semi-Pro trailer has some laughs in it...
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:22 pm

The only movie that I liked him in was Stranger Than Fiction. The rest are so over the top that I feel it is the exact same movie over and over again with a different title...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:14 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:Stranger Than Fiction

I still haven't seen that movie, but I'm told it's worth the effort.

Then again, someone told me the same thing about Magnolia.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:35 pm

I really liked him in Old School and Anchorman. Two of my favorite recent comedies.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby burnhollywood on Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:00 pm

Trying to generate longevity as an actor is a bitch. The money says to just play the same role over and over, but the critical element sneers at this, driving some to range out a little too much--witness Jim Carrey in "The Number 23".

Maybe Will needs to try this--once--to silence the haters...he'll get the shit kicked out of him by the critics, but so be it... :twisted:
burnhollywood
GLIB

Postby Towelie on Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:05 pm

All of his films seem to be

'Crazy Named Dude - The Story Of Some Nut From A Risible Sport or Profession Who Takes Himself Too Seriously.'
Towelie
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby justcheckin on Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:14 pm

I think that Stranger Than Fiction was different than the rest of what he is putting out. Honestly, anyone would go where the money is and just like Jim Carrey, when people get tired of the same old thing and the typical Will Ferrell movie quits making money, the he will be able to broaden out a bit. Personally, I am already tired of these movies. I will skip the basketball one that is coming out.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Next

Return to Actor Discussion