Who keeps greenlighting these Eddie Murphy shitfests?

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

Who keeps greenlighting these Eddie Murphy shitfests?

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:44 pm

1. The Incredible Shrinking Man (2010) (in production)
2. Untitled Eddie Murphy/Romeo and Juliet Project (2009) (announced)
3. Shrek Goes Fourth (2010) (pre-production) (voice) .... Donkey
4. A Thousand Words (2009) (filming)
5. NowhereLand (2009) (completed) .... Evan
6. Meet Dave (2008) .... Dave / Captain
7. Shrek the Halls (2007) (TV) (voice) .... Donkey
8. Shrek the Third (2007) (voice) .... Donkey
9. Norbit (2007) .... Norbit / Rasputia / Mr. Wong
10. Shrek: Smash n' Crash Racing (2006) (VG) .... Donkey
11. Dreamgirls (2006) .... James "Thunder" Early
12. Far Far Away Idol (2004) (V) (voice) .... Donkey
13. "Father of the Pride" .... Donkey (1 episode, 2004)
14. Shrek 2 (2004) (voice) .... Donkey
15. The Haunted Mansion (2003) .... Jim Evers
16. Shrek 4-D (2003) (voice) .... Donkey
17. Daddy Day Care (2003) .... Charlie Hinton
18. I Spy (2002) .... Kelly Robinson
19. The Adventures of Pluto Nash (2002) .... Pluto Nash
20. Showtime (2002) .... Officer Trey Sellars
21. Dr. Dolittle 2 (2001) .... Dr. John Dolittle
22. Shrek (2001) (voice) .... Donkey
23. "The PJs" .... Thurgoode Orenthal Stubbs / ... (29 episodes, 1999-2001)
24. Shrek in the Swamp Karaoke Dance Party (2001) (V) (voice) (singing voice) .... Donkey
25. Nutty Professor II: The Klumps (2000) .... Sherman Klump / Buddy Love / Granny Klump / Mama Klump / Papa Klump / Young Papa Klump / Ernie Klump / Lance Perkins
26. Bowfinger (1999) .... Kit Ramsey / Jeffernson 'Jiff' Ramsey
27. Life (1999/I) .... Rayford Gibson
28. Holy Man (1998) .... G
29. Doctor Dolittle (1998) .... Dr. John Dolittle
30. Mulan (1998) (voice) .... Mushu
31. Metro (1997) .... Insp. Scott Roper
32. The Nutty Professor (1996) .... Professor Sherman Klump / Buddy Love / Lance Perkins / Cletus 'Papa' Klump / Anna Pearl 'Mama' Jensen Klump / Ida Mae 'Granny' Jensen / Ernie Klump, Sr.
33. Vampire in Brooklyn (1995) .... Maximillian / Preacher Pauly / Guido
34. Beverly Hills Cop III (1994) .... Det. Axel Foley
35. Dangerous: The Short Films (1993) (V) .... Pharaoh ('Remember The Time' video)
36. The Distinguished Gentleman (1992) .... Thomas Jefferson Johnson
37. Boomerang (1992) .... Marcus Graham
38. Another 48 Hrs. (1990) .... Reggie Hammond
39. Harlem Nights (1989) .... Quick
40. What's Alan Watching? (1989) (TV) .... Protester / James Brown
41. Coming to America (1988) .... Prince Akeem / Clarence / Randy Watson / Saul
42. Beverly Hills Cop II (1987) .... Det. Axel Foley
43. The Golden Child (1986) .... Chandler Jarrell
44. Beverly Hills Cop (1984) .... Det. Axel Foley
45. Best Defense (1984) .... Lieutenant T.M. Landry
46. "Saturday Night Live" .... Various / ... (63 episodes, 1980-1984)
47. Trading Places (1983) .... Billy Ray Valentine
48. 48 Hrs. (1982) .... Reggie Hammond

Discuss.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Re: Who keeps greenlighting these Eddie Murphy shitfests?

Postby John-Locke on Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:08 am

Heh, it's true, I think only 9 of his films have been any good at all.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby tapehead on Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:14 am

I'd push that to 11 if we include 'Raw' and 'Delirious'
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby havocSchultz on Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:52 am

John-Locke wrote:Heh, it's true, I think only 9 of his films have been any good at all.

tapehead wrote:I'd push that to 11 if we include 'Raw' and 'Delirious'

And yet...

MOST $100 MILLION MOVIES IN A CAREER (List includes animated films and excludes cameos)
1. Tom Hanks — 15
2. Tom Cruise — 14
3. Eddie Murphy — 13
4. Will Smith — 12 (including Hancock)
4. Harrison Ford — 12
6. Jim Carrey — 11
6. Robin Williams — 11
8. Mel Gibson — 10
9. Matt Damon — 9
10. Bruce Willis — 8
10. Jack Nicholson — 8
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:54 am

Shitfests - yes.

But, sadly, that studios keep greenlighting them is a bigger reflection of the idiocy of the general viewing public than the studios themselves. Lots of people actually go out to the cinema and pay to see these films. The only way to stop them getting made is to stop people paying to see them.

In other news, he likely has a "let me star in some comedy and I'll keep doing the donkey voice" clause in his Shrek contracts.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:18 am

So are we discussing how he should have met with an accident in 1990?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Fievel on Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:31 am

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:So are we discussing how he should have met with an accident in 1990?

But he didn't get caught with the tranny hooker until 1997.... :|
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Vegeta on Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:07 pm

I would have to assume the Mr. Murphy is the producer of his own films, therefore he's hopped one hurdle right there.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

NowhereLand---IMAGINE THAT

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:17 am

From Cinematical:
'Imagine That' This Was Going to Be a Better Movie
William Goss wrote:In his continued quest to pursue proud family-friendly mediocrity, Eddie "Meet Dave" Murphy seems to be starring in a comic fantasy about a workaholic dad (Murphy) who neglects his pweecoshus daughter (Yara Shahidi) until imaginative elements of her creation begin to have an effect on his career. Is it called Bedtime Stories? No. Is it called Liar Liar? Nuh-uh. Is it called The Santa Clause? Nope, it's actually called Imagine That, and I'm afraid it's coming our way without a surprise in store.

Trailer Addict has the first footage from it (embedded below), and while it doesn't look necessarily bad (not Norbit bad, I mean), it does come off as an exceedingly bland effort for Murphy to mug and just act generally goofy at every turn. Normally, I'd insist that most moviegoers are above this (Meet Dave's theatrical gross fell under $12 million last summer), but Kevin James Falls Down, Goes Boom has just raked in $65 million to date, so, in the words of Kate Capshaw, anything goes.

Imagine That -- formerly called Nowhereland, perhaps too apt to describe Murphy's current career trajectory -- opens on June 12th.

From The Denver Post 08/01/2007 : Eddie Murphy to film in Denver
Mike McPhee wrote:Actor Eddie Murphy will be working in Denver this fall, filming a new movie for Paramount Pictures called "Nowhereland."

Murphy plays a money manager whose career is falling apart, so he seeks solace with his daughter in her fantasy world of Nowhereland.

Production of the movie begins in Los Angeles in September, then moves to Denver for filming in October.

"This will be the largest production in Colorado in several years and we hope this is a sign of good things to come for our film industry," said Gov. Bill Ritter.

Last year, the independent film "Looking for Sunday" was filmed entirely in Denver. It was premiered earlier this year at the Denver Film Society's annual festival in the Starz complex on the Auraria campus.

"In 2006, filming in Denver increased by 27 percent and created more than 4,000 jobs," said Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper. "We are thrilled the Mile High City will be a backdrop for this high visibility production."

"Nowhereland" is directed by Karey Kirkpatrick, best known for writing and directing "Over the Hedge" and writing the screenplay for "Chicken Run" and "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." The film is written by Chris Matheson and Ed Solomon.

Murphy was nominated for an Academy Award in 2006 for Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role for "Dreamgirls."

Eddie Murphy brings 'imaginary' movie, film crew to Denver
Slick LoDo locales star in Murphy flick
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:45 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Non Union Super Hero on Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:53 am

Are you guys trying to tell me you don’t think the Oscar nominated Norbit was a GREAT movie?

Seriously this is quite sad because Eddie Murphy used to be the funniest most likeable actor on the planet. Beverly Hills Cop is still to this day the standard bearer for action comedy it's pretty unreal. Lately his movies have been crappy because Eddie Murphy is at his best when he I free. PG13 Eddie sucks balls, rated R Eddie kicks you in the balls and you like it! so he could turn things around given the right material, its not like he all of a sudden lost his funny or ability to act, its the projects he is in that are bad, oh yeah and the fact that he swims in a money pit like Scrooge McDuck probably doesn’t help the "good movie vs. Bad Movie" argument because for that kind of scratch they are ALL good movies in his eyes...Until he gets his anyways
Non Union Super Hero
GLIB

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:07 am

I'm not sure that argument holds up.
It's not like you watch The Klumps & see Eddie on the verge of something great that you know has been toned down.
It's mostly just drivel.
He picks & choses his projects & doesn't want to make anything but family films, so it's really his own fault that he's shite.
He didn't loose his funny, he sold it & now he has to do without.

It's like Pauly Shore.
Remember when everyone liked Pauly Shore?
Then one day the world said "fuck Pauly Shore!"
That was because Pauly lost his funny.
Actually, maybe it's because he wasn't that funny to begin with, i dunno, i thought In the Army Now was good.
Kinda brings me to my next comparison though.

Steve Martin.
Steve Martin is going down the same route, some might say.
I could never stand him though , aside from Planes, Trains... & my opinion's certainly not gonna change when Not The Pink Panther 2 comes out.
But Steve's funny reserves have been majority depleted over the years.
He was running on empty before the disgrace that he called Bilko.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Non Union Super Hero on Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:31 pm

I'm not sure using Steve Martin or Pauly Shore as examples really seems all that apt.
To me Steve Martin's brilliance has always been in his stand up and aside from one or two pictures his humor didn't really translate. Where as Eddie went from doing comedy on stage to doing comedy on screen that was very very similar.
And Pauly Shore's movies at there best were only good or funny because of how bad they were. Eddie's movies now are bad with no redeeming quality to anyone not making a paycheck. But there was a time when he was more that a pay for play hack.
That said the argument that he sold his funny, seems solid. But if he cared to, he could reclaim it by doing something R rated or going back to write himself and getting on stage or just ignoring the studly suits and terrible material he seems drawn to these days. I think as a performer he can still be good with good material but he has to choose it over a payday and really I don't fault him for the cash grab. I'm just not going to see his movies until they stop sucking.
Non Union Super Hero
GLIB

Postby minstrel on Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:45 pm

I agree with Non Union Super Hero. Steve Martin was a genius at standup, and he traded that career in for a mediocre (but lucrative) career in movies. He's a very sad case of utterly wasted talent.

But Pauly Shore? Who ever actually liked Pauly Shore? He was always embarrassingly untalented, IMO.

As for Eddie Murphy, he has a lot of talent, but is having trouble finding the right vehicles to express it. I don't know what he can do about that, other than hope the writers start writing better stuff.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:18 pm

minstrel wrote:Steve Martin was a genius at standup, and he traded that career in for a mediocre (but lucrative) career in movies. He's a very sad case of utterly wasted talent.

See, to me, that's not all that different from what happened to Murphy.
The Eddie in Norbit, Spaceship Dave etc. doesn't seem like the same person as the Eddie on stage in Raw & Delirious.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby BuckyO'harre on Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:57 am

Murphy doesn't have mad skillz on the banjo.

So there.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am

King Of Nowhere wrote:Remember when everyone liked Pauly Shore?

no.

King Of Nowhere wrote:Then one day the world said "fuck Pauly Shore!"
That was because Pauly lost his funny.
Actually, maybe it's because he wasn't that funny to begin with

now you're on the right track.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby theunforgettablefire on Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:27 am

I do find it odd...have any of his later "works" even made that much money? IE Meet Dave, Norbit, etc? I thought they all bombed horribly? At least Steve Martin's embarrassing films still manage to bring in the coin!
theunforgettablefire
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Brit Pop on Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:43 am

I think it all started to go downhill after Coming To America, which was about the last 'original' EM vehicle...

The first (and funniest) time he really started to do the whole 'playing multiple characters' thing...

Then it was like, everyone loved you and Arsenio playing all those other characters, lets keep doing it!

You can see how much stock he puts into multi-roles, during the credits at the end of Coming To America - everything stops so Eddie can tell a bad joke in the guise of the Jewish guy in the barbers shop!

But without the multi-roles, we would have never been treated to Randy Watson or Guido (Vampire In Brooklyn)
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby Archive on Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:56 pm

IT'S ME!!! CALL ME THE GREEN LIGHTNING!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!!!
Archive
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Non Union Super Hero on Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:53 pm

It's almost as though someone in the 'business' was reading this, because this Eddie Murphy as Richard Pryor rumor could be the exact project a few people have mention that gets Eddie back on track.
This has two things going for it from the get go:
1) Richard Pryor is funny as hell AND his life is an interesting one from top to bottom
2) You can’t make this movie without an R rating and it actually be about Richard Pryor a.k.a. the guy who set himself on fire freebasing cocaine.

Time will tell but this seems like a good start.
p.s. maybe to prepare for the role Eddie will get onstage again himself?
Non Union Super Hero
GLIB

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:46 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby papalazeru on Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:18 pm

Brit Pop wrote:I think it all started to go downhill after Coming To America, which was about the last 'original' EM vehicle...

The first (and funniest) time he really started to do the whole 'playing multiple characters' thing...

Then it was like, everyone loved you and Arsenio playing all those other characters, lets keep doing it!

You can see how much stock he puts into multi-roles, during the credits at the end of Coming To America - everything stops so Eddie can tell a bad joke in the guise of the Jewish guy in the barbers shop!

But without the multi-roles, we would have never been treated to Randy Watson or Guido (Vampire In Brooklyn)

I agree that things moved downhill quite quickly after Coming to America but there are pockets on genius still to be had.

Bowfinger is a brilliant film and The Distinguished Gentlemen was a very entertaining film albeit setting Eddie up for his future career of trying to become a role model for kids instead of his foul mouthed persona which we all loved. Life was also an impressive film and, I hate to say this but Martin Lawrence wasn't bad either. Dr Doolittle, although we could live without it, he still did an alright job of updating the film.

Admittedly, none of these are his scripts but they all have memorable characters in.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:44 am

Saturday Night At The Movies: Why Eddie Murphy Breaks My Heart - A look at the rise and fall (and fall and fall) of one of SNL's great movie stars
Drew McWeeny wrote:When I walked out of the first early screening of "Dreamgirls" that I attended, Bill Condon was standing there, and I walked over to share some thoughts with him. I've known Bill for a while now, and I was just going to offer him some quick impressions, then let him go because I knew other people wanted to talk to him. As I started to tell him what I thought, I was fine until I got to my feelings about Eddie Murphy in the film. Suddenly, as I tried to articulate just what it meant to me to see a great performance from Eddie, I got choked up. I found myself almost overwhelmed by emotion, and I couldn't even fully explain why. I just had to thank Bill for giving Eddie something to do, something worth his talent and my time, and then hurry to the car, embarrassed by the unexpected depth of my own feelings.

It's not my fault, though. Like many film fans, the relationships I have with the work that actors and directors and writers do is a personal one. It means something very particular to me, and in the case of Eddie Murphy, I consider him an important part of my formative years, and the arc of his career has been almost crushingly sad to witness.

I mentioned Murphy briefly in one of the columns recently, and I would argue that very few "Saturday Night Live" alumni have ever started their film careers with quite the same degree of instant, overwhelming movie stardom. Sure, "Animal House" was huge for Belushi right out of the gate, but that movie worked because of the large ensemble cast and the writing and the fact that no one had made a movie about the '60s quite like that before and people who lived through it had to see it. But with Murphy, if you were there for "48 HRS" and "Trading Places" and "Beverly Hills Cop," you remember… those weren't just hits. Those were movies that instantly entered the pop lexicon, monster pop phenomenons that you couldn't avoid. It was amazing to see the nuclear-blast level impact they left on movies, and to be part of those audiences.

One of the things that attracted me to Murphy as soon as he showed up on "Saturday Night Live" was that he was dangerous in a way that show wasn't at that point. Murphy felt like anything could happen when he was performing, and that was part of the appeal of the series in the first place. I don't think anyone should ever underestimate the appeal of having "live" be part of that title. Eddie was not above totally breaking up in the middle of a sketch, often dragging Joe Piscopo down with him, and it made him feel like a naughty kid who had somehow wandered onto the set. It made him human. It also made every kid who watched that show feel possessive of Eddie. It helped that his comedy albums were so blisteringly filthy, so we knew what he was just barely holding back during the show, and part of what we watched for was the chance that one week he might just snap and start dropping f-bombs non-stop.

That's one of the reasons we were all so thrilled when he moved from TV to film so quickly. "48 HRS" is a hard-R even by today's standards. Walter Hill didn't make mild-mannered movies, and from the moment Reggie Hammond appeared onscreen, butting heads with grizzled cop Jack Cates, the movie was so gloriously, resolutely not for kids that I think it might have accelerated my own personal puberty. Violent, profane, and unafraid to stare America's still-itchy race issues right in the face, "48 HRS" could not have been more carefully engineered to turn Murphy into an instant movie star, and for me, it was the moment where he borrowed Jack's badge to work the country/western bar where I knew we'd be watching Eddie Murphy films until we were all old and grey. He tears into that scene without apology, fully aware of what a great opportunity it is and what a release that moment was for audiences on both sides of the color line.

"Trading Places," released in '83, made great use of another "Saturday Night Live" veteran, Dan Aykroyd, who was always a hard person to build a movie around. We'll get into Aykroyd in another column, and I plan to write a full piece about just one of his films in the next few weeks. For now, I'll just say that he turned out to be an inspired co-star for a young and hungry Murphy. Aykroyd was great at playing twits, and he makes Louis Winthorpe absolutely deserved to be deflated. John Landis, who directed what I might personally consider the greatest SNL film of all time, made great use of both Murphy and Aykroyd, and one of the things that really made the films feel like events was the quotability. In 1982, I knew people who could do Eddie Murphy's impression of Sting singing "Roxanne," but who had never heard the real song. After "Trading Places," so much of Billy Ray Valentine's patter made its way into the vernacular of my friends that it felt like we could just recite the whole film at the slightest prompting.

It wasn't until "Beverly Hills Cop" in 1984, though, that Eddie opened and carried a movie entirely on his own. And, yes, I know I just skipped "Best Defense," but so did everyone else when it came out, so that's only fair.

"Beverly Hills Cop" is lightning in a bottle, one of those cases where a decent little programmer became something much bigger because of a number of elements working together. Martin Brest was a promising young director at the time, and his breakthrough hit "Going In Style" is a gentle, human little movie with a nice high-concept hook. It worked because Brest had a '70s sensibility that made room for movie stars in a very smart way, and that's exactly what distinguished "Beverly Hills Cop" as well. Pick up the new Blu-ray of the movie and take a look at the opening title sequence. What could just be throwaway shots of Detroit to set up the location of the film actually does a marvelous job of establishing what an alien planet Detroit is compared to the Beverly Hills we'll see later in the movie. The sequence is loaded with personality and wit, so by the time Murphy shows up as Axel Foley, it feels like we're grounded in a real world. And throughout the film, Brest is just as important to its success as Murphy is, something that hasn't always been the case with his films.

It's hard to believe that Murphy's career started its implosion not long after the unfettered success of "Beverly Hills Cop," and certainly there were a few moments after that where it looked like he was starting to get things back on track, but for the most part, he had those first three films, and then immediately, the rot started to set in. I blame whoever managed Murphy in those days, whoever his agents were, because they strangled that golden goose with both hands. It was obvious that he was scared to follow up "Beverly Hills Cop" because it took him two full years to release his next movie, which turned out to be the stunningly awful "The Golden Child," and he almost immediately retreated to the safety of a sequel. The problem is, Tony Scott's "Beverly Hills Cop II" is as phony as the first film is sincere, an ugly, stupid, painful relic of all the worst excesses of the '80s on film. And the Axel Foley character, so fresh and simple the first time around, was an ego-driven asshole in the second film.

"Coming To America" is perhaps the most likable film Eddie ever made, and his only truly successful romance on film. For the most part, Eddie always seems to be too into himself to be convincing opposite anyone in a love story, but "Coming To America" is so sweet and Prince Akeem is such a bright, simple spirit that it works. The film is also significant because it marked the first collaboration between Eddie and Rick Baker, whose make-up transformed Eddie into several different supporting characters, including the old white Jewish guy, and it seemed to set Eddie free in some way. I'm sad that Eddie and John Landis had a contentious relationship, so bad that at one point during the "Coming To America" trial Eddie actually said "John Landis has more of a chance of working with Vic Morrow again than me," and I'm also sad that when they did work together again, it was the unwatchably awful "Beverly Hills Cop III."

Whatever happened between Landis and Murphy, it led to the one time Eddie has ever directed, and "Harlem Nights" is a revealing look at the unbridled ego of a movie star who was already on the wane, even if he didn't know it. The film doesn't work at all, but it was nice to see Red Foxx, Richard Pryor, and Eddie all in the same film. I just wish it was a good film. "Another 48 HRS" caught Eddie at the height of his studly Elvis phase, and while I think the movie's actually not bad, it's more a case of Walter Hill making it work than anything else. "Boomerang," "The Distinguished Gentleman," "Vampire In Brooklyn"… these are desperate, forgettable films that capture Eddie at his most disinterested. He appears genuinely adrift in the films, not sure why he's even on the set.

With "The Nutty Professor," you can see Murphy enjoying himself again, and that's due in part to his work with Baker again. I have a theory that the more make-up you bury Eddie under, the more he can forget about being "Eddie Murphy" and simply enjoy the craft of acting again. He's got to be cool when he's Eddie Murphy. He can't be unguarded and loose and allow himself to be a fool, but when he's under make-up, anything goes. The rest of Eddie's career is almost too sad to detail. There are films like "Life" and "Bowfinger" where he's good and the films work in a low-key sort of way, but there are also a whole lot of movies like "Holy Man" and "Metro" and the "Dr. Dolittle" films that are genuinely terrible. I would argue that if not for the "Shrek" films, Murphy would have vanished completely already, but those movies at least made giant money, and they kept him somewhat relevant. Without them, what would have have to point at? "I Spy"? "Showtime"? "The Adventures Of Pluto Nash"? "The Haunted Mansion"? "Daddy Day Care"? "Meet Dave"? "Imagine That"? Good god, that's a litany of shame and pain.

So when I was standing there talking to Condon in that parking lot at Paramount, the reason that emotion was so powerful, so unexpected, is because there was a point where Eddie Murphy, like Harrison Ford, meant something to me. Where he was my generation's movie star. And I watched him throw that promise away and trash that goodwill, film after film after film, until it started to feel like I'd been wrong in the first place. And to see that potential confirmed, even if only for one movie, was a powerful thing. I still believe that Eddie Murphy could be great if he was willing to trust a filmmaker and if he took scripts that were about the material and not just about him being cool and not just easy family gigs that anyone could do. I don't think Eddie Murphy cares as much about his onscreen career as I do, though, and that might be the thing that hurts most.

And, please, Eddie… don't make "Beverly Hills Cop IV." You've already killed Axel Foley. No need to molest the dead body, too.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:08 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:09 am

aww man. i used to love watching those hong kong phooey cartoons on saturday mornings when i was a kid. but i just know this is gonna be the typical unfunny cgi crap filled with fart and shit jokes, while completely ignoring or missing what was fun and appealing about the original character, like garfield or yogi bear. what's next? The Rise of the Planet of the Grape Ape?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:14 am

But will he channel the spirit (and voice) of Scatman Cruthers?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:32 am

so sorry wrote:

But will he channel the spirit (and voice) of Scatman Cruthers?

yes. scatman cruthers is a little boy who lives in eddie murphy's mouth.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:00 pm

So Eddie Murphy is being mentioned as the front-runner to host the next Academy Awards. I hope this happens. Why?
Perhaps if he is a successful host of the Oscars, saying things that make people laugh, then perhaps he will have the urge/confidence to get back to his roots and start performing standup comedy again.

Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby theangiechrist on Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:19 pm

If he was smart, he'd have Ricky Gervais write his lines.
theangiechrist
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby minstrel on Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:20 pm

The rumor is, apparently, true.

This could be worse. Eddie used to bring the funny regularly, so we know he has the talent. He's certainly a better choice than Adam Sandler.
minstrel

Postby SilentScream on Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:20 am

And so begins the rehabilitaion of one Eddie Murphy.

Good luck to the geezer. He's hit and miss as far as I'm concerned but he deserves his second shot. And, yes, he's certainly better than Adam Sandler, a weedy and inconsequential comic with zero charisma.

Course they wouldn't have given the gig to Gervais. They know he genuinely doesn't give a shit what tinseltown thinks of him and that scares them.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby so sorry on Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:36 am

SilentScream wrote:Course they wouldn't have given the gig to Gervais. They know he genuinely doesn't give a shit what tinseltown thinks of him and that scares them.

Sidebar: so what? This notion that Gervais is getting screwed out of the gig is pretty silly. Its an award show for tinseltown, produced by tinseltown, and really designed to promote tinseltown. Why the fuck would they want some guy on stage making (extreme) fun of them? That's just stupid. So the idea that they are "scared" of Gervais doesn't fly with me. They aren't scared. They just know that he'll do his best to be outrageous, and they don't want that.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby SilentScream on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:09 pm

so sorry wrote:
SilentScream wrote:Course they wouldn't have given the gig to Gervais. They know he genuinely doesn't give a shit what tinseltown thinks of him and that scares them.

Sidebar: so what? This notion that Gervais is getting screwed out of the gig is pretty silly. Its an award show for tinseltown, produced by tinseltown, and really designed to promote tinseltown. Why the fuck would they want some guy on stage making (extreme) fun of them? That's just stupid. So the idea that they are "scared" of Gervais doesn't fly with me. They aren't scared. They just know that he'll do his best to be outrageous, and they don't want that.

No, I didn't say Gervais was getting screwed out of the gig at all. The Globes were an award show, too, and tinseltown booked him for that. So what if they're made fun of? Aren't they man/woman enough for a bit of piss-taking? Or are their oh-so-sensitive-fragile-egos not able to cope with it?? Ahhhh, BOOO-WHOOOOO. PASS ME A HANKIE PLEEEASE. I CAN'T COPE!!!!!!! BABY'S BEEN MADE FUUUUUN OF!!!!
Get real.
A good old fashioned piss-taking (and I'm sure even Gervais would've toned it down slightly) didn't do anyone any harm and I'm sure most of them would take it on the chin. If they didn't, well they need to get their heads out of their arses and live in the real world a little.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Al Shut on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:41 pm

On a different note, the reason I'm not allowed to play tennis at Wimbledon is they're scared I'd win
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:59 pm

SilentScream wrote:
so sorry wrote:

No, I didn't say Gervais was getting screwed out of the gig at all. The Globes were an award show, too, and tinseltown booked him for that. So what if they're made fun of? Aren't they man/woman enough for a bit of piss-taking? Or are their oh-so-sensitive-fragile-egos not able to cope with it?? Ahhhh, BOOO-WHOOOOO. PASS ME A HANKIE PLEEEASE. I CAN'T COPE!!!!!!! BABY'S BEEN MADE FUUUUUN OF!!!!
Get real.
A good old fashioned piss-taking (and I'm sure even Gervais would've toned it down slightly) didn't do anyone any harm and I'm sure most of them would take it on the chin. If they didn't, well they need to get their heads out of their arses and live in the real world a little.

Calm down dear, its just an awards show.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby SilentScream on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:21 pm

Hermanator X wrote:
SilentScream wrote:
so sorry wrote:

Get real.

Calm down dear, its just an awards show.

I AM CALM SWEETHEART!!! (Where's the meds?)
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby so sorry on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:29 pm

SilentScream wrote:
so sorry wrote:

Get real.

I don't think anyone associated with the Golden Globes or the Oscars has a problem with being made fun of, to a certain extent. These are award shows, not raunchy roasts. So if somebody in charge decides they don't want to get blindsided by Gervais (or whoever) on their own show, then more power to them. Yes the humor may not throw you into a belly busting laugh attack. If that's really what your looking for than the Academy Awards aren't for you. That's all I was saying.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby SilentScream on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:34 pm

Shall we just agree and say ANYONE is better than what James Franco was last year?
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby minstrel on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:57 pm

SilentScream wrote:Shall we just agree and say ANYONE is better than what James Franco was last year?

Yes. Except maybe Adam Sandler.

They should let Conan O'Brien try it. Or, heck, Andy Richter.
Or Craig Ferguson.

Or (my favorite choice!) Eddie Izzard!

Or how about a fascinating experiment: Let Keith Olbermann co-host with Bill O'Reilly.
minstrel

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:20 pm

minstrel wrote:
SilentScream wrote:Shall we just agree and say ANYONE is better than what James Franco was last year?

Yes. Except maybe Adam Sandler.

They should let Conan O'Brien try it. Or, heck, Andy Richter.
Or Craig Ferguson.

Or (my favorite choice!) Eddie Izzard!

Or how about a fascinating experiment: Let Keith Olbermann co-host with Bill O'Reilly.

they should let Sarah Palin host the awards...

in a bikini!!!!!!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:23 am

excerpts from Rolling Stone eddie murphy interview

the full interview should be pretty interesting.

sounds like eddie is going to stop greenlighting his own shitfests now.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby minstrel on Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:59 pm

Eddie Murphy has ungreenlighted his Oscar show shitfest.

Apparently he loves Brett Ratner, who hates g@y people and therefore cannot produce the Oscars, and Eddie won't host unless his man-pal Ratner produces. Or something.

Hollywood is full of Dumbledore people. What kind of business did these two chowderheads think they were getting into?
minstrel

Postby SilentScream on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:43 am

How VERY TOUCHING is Murphy's solidarity with Mr Ratner. It's all rather moving don'tcha think?
Oh, but excuse me, wait a minute, wait a minute..... Is this the same Eddie Murphy who was stopped by cops for picking up a TRANSVESTITE prostitue???

Wonder what his g@y friendly hetero bosom pal thought of THAT?
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby SilentScream on Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:38 am

Apparently they're lining up The Muppets to replace tranny-loving Eddie as host.

Either a work of genius or someone in TV la-la land has been freebasing a bit TOO much....
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby SilentScream on Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:03 am

They chickened out.

Just heard it's Billy Crystal apparently.

One word: SAFE.

Make that two: BORINGLY SAFE.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:11 pm

SilentScream wrote:Apparently they're lining up The Muppets to replace tranny-loving Eddie as host.

Either a work of genius or someone in TV la-la land has been freebasing a bit TOO much....

That would have been brilliant...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Ribbons on Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:45 pm

minstrel wrote:Eddie Murphy has ungreenlighted his Oscar show shitfest.

Apparently he loves Brett Ratner, who hates g@y people and therefore cannot produce the Oscars, and Eddie won't host unless his man-pal Ratner produces. Or something.

Hollywood is full of Dumbledore people. What kind of business did these two chowderheads think they were getting into?

Keep in mind that Murphy took a lot of flak for his use of the word "f@g" as well, back in the '80s, so he's probably still got strong feelings about the issue:

The other thing to keep in mind is that neither Ratner or Murphy were technically fired, both "stepped down" -- there's a possibility that Murphy was encouraged to quit for the same reason (since it would look kind of weird if the guy who said way worse about homosexuals got to host the show). Also, I would hesitate to say Ratner "hates Dumbledore people" because of his one dumb comment, but who knows.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:08 pm

'Twins' Sequel 'Triplets' in the Works for Arnold, DeVito...and Eddie Murphy (THR Exclusive)
The story would reteam Schwarzenegger and DeVito as brothers Julius and Vincent, conceived experimentally, who discover they have third sibling.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby minstrel on Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:47 pm

TheButcher wrote:'Twins' Sequel 'Triplets' in the Works for Arnold, DeVito...and Eddie Murphy (THR Exclusive)
The story would reteam Schwarzenegger and DeVito as brothers Julius and Vincent, conceived experimentally, who discover they have third sibling.

Nominated for the Dimwit Idea of the Year!

Arnold is a has-been, and has none of the amazing physique he used to have. DeVito is ... old, but still effective. Murphy has such as long string of flops recently (many in studly suits, it seems), that nobody cares about him anymore, and THIS is his attempt at a comeback.

Murphy is desperate. He's lunging for the lifeline, and THIS is the best one he could find?
minstrel

Next

Return to Actor Discussion