THE BOB HOSKINS THREAD OF AWESOME!!!

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

THE BOB HOSKINS THREAD OF AWESOME!!!

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:22 pm

I think that this atrocity has gone on long enough...

THIS BOARD IS LACKING IN BOB HOSKINS!

One of the greatest actors to grace the sliver screen!

The man chews up scenery and spits it in your face!

THE MAN WAS SMEE!!!!

So lets talk about the greatness that is bob hoskins...

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Re: THE BOB HOSKINS THREAD OF AWESOME!!!!!

Postby tapehead on Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:35 pm

bastard_robo wrote:Image

Mona Lisa - what a fantastic movie, one of Caine's great performances too.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:09 am

Okay, I'll chip in my support of Bob Hoskins. This guy is hugely underrated.

The first thing I saw him in was THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY when I was a kid, and I still really like that movie. Then I saw him in Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and he did a great job of acting next to a cartoon bunny.

I also like that he channelled his Long Good Friday performance for Unleashed: The Ballad of Danny the Dog, putting a similiar character in such a ridiculous movie and making it work.

He's one of those few actors like Ed Harris can seem all nice and warm like the dad you wish you had and also play the scariest bastard in the room convincingly.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby papalazeru on Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:22 am

Thing is with Bob is that there have been some aweomse film moments, ones that should be cherished, but I can't forgive him for singing 'Against all odds' and 'I can't dance'.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Seppuku on Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:55 am

papalazeru wrote:Thing is with Bob is that there have been some aweomse film moments, ones that should be cherished, but I can't forgive him for singing 'Against all odds' and 'I can't dance'.

He should stick to miming old '40s numbers, like he did in Pennies From Heaven- still his finest moment by far, if you ask me.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby papalazeru on Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:59 am

Seppuku wrote:He should stick to miming old '40s numbers, like he did in Pennies From Heaven- still his finest moment by far, if you ask me.

You know what Seppu, I stuck the clip on, and it has Bob munching a biscuit and someone elses voice audio, the first thing II thought 'WTF! Hoskins ventriloquism!!!!'

:lol:

papalazeru

Postby Seppuku on Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:01 am

papalazeru wrote:
Seppuku wrote:He should stick to miming old '40s numbers, like he did in Pennies From Heaven- still his finest moment by far, if you ask me.

You know what Seppu, I stuck the clip on, and it has Bob munching a biscuit and someone elses voice audio, the first thing II thought 'WTF! Hoskins ventriloquism!!!!'

Haha, I thought it was some audio-syncing fuck-up or something, too. Stick around, though...Hoskins randomly breaking into song (kinda) mid-sentence is worth waiting for!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby papalazeru on Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:28 am

Seppuku wrote:
papalazeru wrote:

Haha, I thought it was some audio-syncing fuck-up or something, too. Stick around, though...Hoskins randomly breaking into song (kinda) mid-sentence is worth waiting for!

Oh it so is.

He still looks fucking psycho!!!

papalazeru

Postby The Vicar on Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:54 am

Fred Gwynne and Bob Hoskins stole Cotton Club right out from under supposed stars Richard Gere and Diane Lane.
The scene after Gwynne's kidnapping ends, when they're together in Hoskin's office, is golden. ( as is the moment when the Hines brothers are reunited on stage - gawd I miss Gregory Hines ).
You could chuck that whole film and keep the parts with them and the other bits with the Hines brothers and have something worth watching. And that's the good stuff. I'm always happy to see Hoskins name in the credits.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby minstrel on Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:36 pm

Not just Who Framed Roger Rabbit ...
Not just his great turn as J. Edgar Hoover in Nixon ...
But he was the best thing about Lassiter! "My 'ome? My bleedin' ome! YOU DON'T COME TO A MAN'S 'OME!!!" And (paraphrasing - it's been a LONG time since I saw this movie): "Look, Lassiter. There's three ways this can work out, and they're all good for me. One, you go in there and steal the diamonds, and I get a pat on the back. Good. Two, you go in there, and they kill you. And I'd rather like that. Three, you don't go in there, and I put you away for twenty to life. And I'd REALLY like that!"

Hoskins can elevate even the most run-of-the-mill material into stuff you'll remember a long time. He's one of the great, great character actors in movies today!
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:03 pm

I would just like to chime in with this comment. If Bob Hoskins ever needs a place to sit, my face is immediately available.

Oh and yeah's a good actor too.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby papalazeru on Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:05 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:I would just like to chime in with this comment. If Bob Hoskins ever needs a place to sit, my face is immediately available.

Oh and yeah's a good actor too.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

papalazeru

Re: THE BOB HOSKINS THREAD OF AWESOME!!!

Postby monorail77 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:53 pm

YES!! I heartily join the praise for the awesomeness that is Hoskins.

The Long Good Friday is one of the best movies of all time.

And to conclusively prove the awesomeness of Hoskins (as if there were any doubt), two words:

Sweet Liberty

Seriously, Sweet Liberty is one of my guilty pleasure movies. Would it have been as good (or bad) without Bob? Probably, but I love Bob anyway.

Even in crap TV fare like "Flickers" which I recently got out of the library, he is good.

Looking at his IMDb folmography, Bob has done plenty o crap. But its been balanced with plenty o quality too. Hoskins gotta eat, right? I say bring on the Hoskins. Whether he be in crap or quality, I'll probably give anything he does a look just because he's in it.
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:13 pm

Yes his early stuff was great, Mona Lisa being a personal fave, awesome performance on Hoskins part but....

Unleashed?

I say that's Hoskins not only sending himself up but also show his bad guy range. He was pretty shit hot in that.

papalazeru

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:11 am

He was great in Spice World.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Raziel on Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:49 pm

SHAT-IT!! :wink:
Raziel
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby ironic name on Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:09 am

its Khrushchev bitches.
ironic name
had cheer sex with Megan Gale

Postby TheButcher on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:35 am

8 Surprising Details About The Hellish Production Of The Super Mario Bros. Movie
Kristy Puchko wrote:With his big mustache, red overalls and gawky brother, Mario of Super Mario Bros. has been an icon of video gaming since the 1980s. His adventures rescuing Princess Peach while collecting coins, and trouncing grimacing Goombas, made little narrative sense yet made for countless hours of entertainment for gamers old and young. So following the successful release of Super Mario Bros. 1-3, it made perfect sense for some enterprising producer to attempt a movie spin-off. Of course, the result was the totally ludicrous Super Mario Bros., which starred Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo as two Brooklyn plumbers who haphazardly enter a portal to another dimension where dinosaurs have evolved into human-life creatures. You know, nothing like the game!

If you've ever wondered how the filmmakers strayed so far afield from what the games were known for, Game Informer has got the answers, detailing the Super Mario Bros. bizarre and bumpy path from pitch to one of the worst movies of 1993. The whole tale is pretty incredible, but below you can check out some bewildering behind-the-scenes facts.

1. Danny DeVito, who had recently helmed the dark comedies Throw Momma from the Train and The War of the Roses was initially approached to direct Super Mario Bros., and star as Mario. When he passed on the project, Turner & Hooch-era Tom Hanks was considered, but hot off such kid-friendly blockbusters as Hook and Who Framed Roger Rabbit, producers decided Bob Hoskins would be a more "bankable" star.

2. Before Dennis Hopper signed on to play King Koopa, '80s A-listers Arnold Schwarzenegger and Michael Keaton were considered for the role. Yep, The Terminator and Batman. Obviously, both passed.

3. Producers commissioned several scripts to decide on a direction for the project, and before they settled on co-directors Annabel Jankel and Rocky Morton's vision of a dystopic cyberpunk-styled, dinosaur-populated Manhattan, they considered a light-hearted adventure in the vein of The Wizard of Oz or Alice in Wonderland, an action-packed Die Hard-inspired version that would ideally feature a Bruce Willis cameo, and a Mad Max-styled riff complete with death races.

4. The studio wanted a kid-friendly flick, so when they felt Jankel and Morton's vision was skewing too dark, they called in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure scribe Ed Solomon to do a pass on the script just weeks before production. Morton recounts, "We were forbidden to work with that writer. And that was only a couple of weeks before we went into principle photography. I’d already had the set built and a lot of characters with prosthetics had already been made, so that script came in and a lot of it didn’t match what we’d already started working on.”

5. While only three writers ultimately got credit from the Writers Guild of America, Game Informer says at least nine worked on the script, accounting for the mess it became.

6. With so many script changes, the screenplay was in flux during production, adding to stress all around, resulting in some monumental bad behavior like Morton reportedly pouring coffee over an extra he decided didn't look "dirty" enough for Dinohatten, and Leguizamo drinking on set while driving, resulting in an accident that cause Hoskins to get a cast that can be seen randomly throughout the final film.

7. With havoc on set and the schedule ballooning from 10 weeks to 15, producers scrapped the original finale that would have had Mario scaling the Brooklyn Bridge and defeating Koopa by "dropping a Bob-Omb down Koopa’s throat then kicking him into the river before he exploded." Instead, he is shot by a gun that devolves him into slime.

8. When principal photography wrapped, Morton and Jankel weren't only barred from the editing bay, but also kept out of second-unit reshoots that aimed to add more action to the narrative.

Ultimately, Super Mario. Bros. Bob-Ombed at the box office, earning only $20 million, $28 million less than its budget, which doesn't account for print and advertising costs. It was also loathed by critics, and arguably crippled Hoskins' career. So, let's leave the recently retired actor—who will always be remembered with fondness as Smee and Eddie Valiant—with the last word:

"The worst thing I ever did? Super Mario Bros. It was a f---in’ nightmare. The whole experience was a nightmare. It had a husband-and-wife team directing, whose arrogance had been mistaken for talent. After so many weeks their own agent told them to get off the set! F---in’ nightmare. F---in’ idiots.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:38 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Bloo on Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:31 am

thanks for sharing this, we're revisiting this soon in our Oleg Movie Club
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:53 am

Making Fun of the Super Mario Bros. Movie
The movie versions of Mario and Luigi finally get what they deserve thanks to the guys at RiffTrax.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 01, 2014 1:11 am

Bob Hoskins Was ‘X-Men’ Writer's First Choice for Wolverine
"Who Framed Roger Rabbit" actor died with a casting dream unrealized
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Actor Discussion