Actors you forgive bad movies for

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

Actors you forgive bad movies for

Postby geekgrrl on Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:13 am

Tonight I was watching The Lost Boys for what had to have been the 30th time and I got to thinking about Corey Feldman's career and where is has gone. Which as we all know is no where. However Corey is one of those rare actors that no matter what he does now a part of you will always forgive him because of the kick ass movies he has already been in. Prime examples are of course The Lost Boys, Goonies, and Stand by me. Those three movies alone are enough to forgive him for The Two Coreys and that celebrity big brother house show he was in. so any one know of any other actors or actresses that can be forgiven for almost anything because of one or two past movies?
http://lostinreviews.com/ For those of us who live outside of normal
geekgrrl
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Re: Actors you forgive bad movies for

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:36 am

Good topic! I say Kurt Russell!

I would guess this thread might be a dupe, but I'm too tired to look! :D

If someone provides me with a link, I'll merge the thread.*

*your Zone tax dollars in action!
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:02 am

The only thread that comes close is this one:
Pacino's "Great Actors, Lots Of Crap Movies."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:15 am

Ron Perlman. He makes even the crappiest movie watchable. And HOLY SHIT, did he made many crappy movies! (But at least he is joking about it a lot and admits that he is just trying to pay the bills.)
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:39 am

anthony hopkins, ben kingsley, two examples of guys who've made great films in the past, but occasionally phone one in for the paycheck. i mean, kingsley took a part in an uwe boll movie, for zod sakes.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:49 am

I'm thinking of Sly Stallone. He was the pinnacle of a movie star. People often had heated arguments over who was bigger, he or Arnold. And then you see him in crap like EYE SEE YOU. WTF!?!?!

Good to see him back on top. I hope he stays there until he retires.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:19 pm

I will always love Sean Connery. He can do all garbage the garbage in the world and come out clean.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby minstrel on Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:47 pm

Tim Curry is the kind of guy who can make utter crap watchable. I forgive him the crap and just enjoy his performances.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:04 pm

TheButcher wrote:The only thread that comes close is this one:

Good catch, but I think the tone if this one is just different enough to warrant its own thread (if another mod disagrees, feel free to merge)

minstrel wrote:Tim Curry is the kind of guy who can make utter crap watchable. I forgive him the crap and just enjoy his performances.

Clue!
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:54 pm

Walken & Bobby D still have careers because of this.
Possibly Pacino too, he's getting there anyway.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby The Vicar on Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:59 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:

Good catch, but I think the tone if this one is just different enough to warrant its own thread (if another mod disagrees, feel free to merge)

minstrel wrote:Tim Curry is the kind of guy who can make utter crap watchable. I forgive him the crap and just enjoy his performances.

Clue!

With one possible exception......
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:03 pm

Hey! :evil:

http://zone.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=54031

But yeah, this thread is still pretty different
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Spandau Belly on Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:51 am

Alright, here's a riskier one: Ben Affleck. This guy is prettymuch synonymous with how to flush great potential down the shitter with bad career choices, but I'm still rooting for the guy. I want him to be in good movies. Even in all the shitty movies I find him likeable and charming on screen.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:Alright, here's a riskier one: Ben Affleck. This guy is prettymuch synonymous with how to flush great potential down the shitter with bad career choices, but I'm still rooting for the guy. I want him to be in good movies. Even in all the shitty movies I find him likeable and charming on screen.

The only thing I really enjoyed him in was Jersey Girl, a film that a lot a nerds hate because there's not enough dick jokes or something.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby minstrel on Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:58 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:Alright, here's a riskier one: Ben Affleck. This guy is prettymuch synonymous with how to flush great potential down the shitter with bad career choices, but I'm still rooting for the guy. I want him to be in good movies. Even in all the shitty movies I find him likeable and charming on screen.

The only thing I really enjoyed him in was Jersey Girl, a film that a lot a nerds hate because there's not enough dick jokes or something.

I'm not a big Affleck fan. He hasn't impressed me in anything yet. I haven't seen most of his work, but Pearl Harbor was junk and that Tom Clancy movie he did (which was it - Sum of All Fears or Clear and Present Danger?) was very disappointing - especially his performance. However, I've seen him talking about politics on Bill Maher and he comes across as an intelligent and well-informed guy in that setting. Maybe he should drop the acting thing and get into political journalism. I think he'd be better at it. (But the paychecks would be smaller, of course!)
minstrel

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:19 pm

I just don't know what leading man roles you give Ben Affleck. The only time I really thought he knocked it out the park was in Changing Lanes, he was good in his Boiler Room cameo too. So perhaps he should go for more corrupt or sleazy lawyer/businessman supporting roles.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Seppuku on Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:13 pm

He's not bad, and the extreme hate circa the early 2000s does smack of a bunch of blowhards egging each other on, but I reckon he and Mel Gibson would both be far better off staying behind the camera. He brought far more to Gone, Baby, Gone as a director and co-writer than I can ever remember him bringing as an actor.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:05 pm

Yeh that's completely true, Sepp. He should def just stick to directing.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:25 am

He, Mel Gibson and George Clooney!
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby DennisMM on Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:07 pm

There's something about Nicolas Cage that draws me to most of his films. I doubt I'll ever see The Wicker Man, but even something like Ghost Rider appealed to me. I hate many action movies, particularly the really dumb ones, but I loved Con Air, in part because of Cage. (I'll grant that it has perhaps the greatest modern action movie cast imaginable.)

On this, I suspect I'm alone.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby minstrel on Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:06 pm

Nicolas Cage is a quirky but appealing actor who has more talent than he usually shows. He's been on a taking-the-big-paychecks binge over the past few years, and I think he's made enough money that he should go back to doing interesting, indie-type work, in which he can stretch out and show what he's capable of. He's got more range and talent than Brad Pitt and George Clooney, so I wish he'd stop trying to take their roles.
minstrel

Postby geekgrrl on Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:20 am

minstrel wrote:Nicolas Cage is a quirky but appealing actor who has more talent than he usually shows. He's been on a taking-the-big-paychecks binge over the past few years, and I think he's made enough money that he should go back to doing interesting, indie-type work, in which he can stretch out and show what he's capable of. He's got more range and talent than Brad Pitt and George Clooney, so I wish he'd stop trying to take their roles.

Nic Cage is one of those actors that when he is on he is really on, but when he is not on his game he stinks. Ad some of the choices he has been making is just sad. Sometimes it seems as though he is one bad movie away from a Lifetime Movie of the Week and even they have been winning emmies lately so maybe not.
http://lostinreviews.com/ For those of us who live outside of normal
geekgrrl
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:35 am

Y'know, I really would love to see Nic Cage starring in a TV Show. Maybe a low-key drama or a flat out silly comedy. (I always wanted him to guest star in 'Scrubs'.)
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:18 am

Cage is amazing. I will see and generally love anything he does. I disagree with you guys about him being off and on. I find he MAKES the movie. It doesn't matter what movie it is, once Cage is the lead actor it is all about Cage. I don't care what the genre or story is, he'll make it interesting.

P.S.
Look up DEADFALL on YouTube (if you haven't seen it already) to witness the true essence of Cage.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:14 pm

I'll admit that he looks pretty entertaining in that new BAD LIEUTENANT movie. But he's about 50/50 for me. I like him in stuff where he's not trying to be a superhero type of guy.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby buster00 on Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:14 am

I don't care what the haters say. Eddie Murphy and Chevy Chase each get a lifetime pass from me.

Mind you, I wouldn't pay full price to watch any of their more recent output, but you'll never hear me say anything resembling "he's not funny" about either of them.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Sweettea on Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:52 pm

eddie murphey became such an ass in the 2000s, or he would be one.

Jim Carry gave me dumb and dumber, truman show, and eternal sunshine...for this he has an unconditional respect.
Sweettea
GLIB

Postby SilentScream on Mon May 23, 2011 1:29 pm

Gary Oldman.

Fucking Ace actor. Numero Supremeo. Starred in a lot of poo-poo over the last few years. But MAN I forgive him almost anything. Love to see him get back to his former glory.

Such bitching on here for Ben Affleck. But I like the guy. Some god-awful films, yes. But he's shaping up as a pretty good director now and is the lead in Malick's next. He's coming on good as his career rolls on. He comes across as a sincere actor. And that's OK by me.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Return to Actor Discussion