Favorite acting moments

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

Favorite acting moments

Postby minstrel on Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:44 pm

I was just thinking about "The Cincinnati Kid". It occurred to me that one of my favorite moments I've ever seen any actor deliver was Edward G. Robinson at the end of the movie, when he lights a match and says to Steve McQueen, "You're good, kid, but as long as I'm around, you're second best. You might as well learn to live with it." The match is burning down to his fingers as he says this, but he doesn't care. He's the MAN. It's a perfect take, and whenever anyone mentions Robinson, I think of that moment.

What are your favorite acting moments?
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Re: Favorite acting moments

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:49 pm

I thought I made this thread ages ago. If not I certainly thought about it.

Here's one anyway...

Robert de Niro's Jake La Motta from Raging Bull in jail, where he breaks down, hits the walls, mutters incoherently about how he isn't an animal. The performance is all exploring the dude hitting bottom and his soul finally being defeated but it's the way it's shot, all hiding him in the shadows that you can't even see his face, a long shot of the cell. I always admired Martin Scorsese and De Niro to decide NOT to show his acting so visually. Achieved a greater effect psychologically as it presented him being in a cold dark place more this way.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby The Vicar on Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:03 pm

Al Pacino's opening remarks to the jury near the end of And Justice for All. Probably his finest moment on film, and a scene that is as electric today as it was back then. I remember people actually cheering in the theatre for the line"...and ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the prosecution is not going to get this man today. No sir. Because I'm going to get him! My client, the Honorable Henry T Fleming, is guilty and should go right to fucking jail! The son of a bitch is guilty!" (spoilered for them what's not seen the said flick). Good stuff.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby SilentScream on Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:20 pm

Brando's monologue when he sits by his wife's body after she's committed suicide in Last Tango In Paris.

Two words: ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT.

In that one scene alone, lasting only a few minutes and largely improvised by Brando himself, I can see why he is one of the top 2 or 3 greatest ever screen actors. The sheer power he puts into that moment is truly remarkable. He shows us a man consumed by guilt, futility and self-loathing. Tortured by his own inability to love. And the great thing is Brando doesn't flinch. Oh, no, siree; he goes the whole way, stripping his character till what you see is a man reduced to an emotional wreck, consumed by his own demons and left like a bereft child. Lonely and isolated.

It's a powerhouse scene and one of the bravest pieces of acting I've seen.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby DennisMM on Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:19 pm

Jeff Bridges in the diner with his high-school sweetheart, in Fearless. She thinks for a moment that he's come to propose a tryst, but he gently dissuades her, smiling as he consumes a huge quantity of strawberries. It's a quiet moment of pleasure, slightly soured later when we learn that Bridges has massive survivor's guilt after an airplane crash and is convinced that he's more or less dead. I'd crown him for the opening of the film, but all he does is walk through smoke and a cornfield while holding a small child's hand, and it must be seen to be understood.

Why did it take so long for Jeff Bridges to win an Oscar? The Last Picture Show, The Last American Hero, Cutter and Bones, Fearless, Tucker: The Man and His Dream, Starman -- incredible work from the time he was in his twenties.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby SilentScream on Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:26 am

DennisMM wrote:
Why did it take so long for Jeff Bridges to win an Oscar? The Last Picture Show, The Last American Hero, Cutter and Bones, Fearless, Tucker: The Man and His Dream, Starman -- incredible work from the time he was in his twenties.

Did you ever see him in F@t City that John Huston flick? He was VERY, VERY good.
As for his belated Oscar? Well, look how long it took them to acknowledge Paul Newman (in maybe his dullest performance too). And any film organization who never gave one to Hitchcock or Welles or Chaplin can never fully be taken seriously.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Elwenaur on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:12 am

Charlie Chaplin's monologue at the end of The Great Dictator - ridiculously awesome.
For someone who hated the whole idea of sound to movies, he really took it for all it was worth.
Elwenaur
GLIB

Postby Elwenaur on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:58 am

Oh, towards the end of Reservoir Dogs when Marvin is all like - aw man I don't have an ear anymore i'm-a be disfigured foreva!
And then Tim Roth writhes around in a pool of his own blood and screams "FUCK YOU! I'm fuckin' dyin' here!" Still my favorite part of that movie.
Elwenaur
GLIB

Return to Actor Discussion