What is you favourite Arnold Schwarzenegger Moment?

Discuss all the finest actors, living or dead -- their films, their talents, and their weird, drug-related escapades.

VOTE! DO EET NAO!

Hercules in New York (1969)
No votes
The Long Goodbye (1973)
No votes
Happy Anniversary and Goodbye (1974)
No votes
Stay Hungry (1976)
No votes
Pumping Iron (1977)
No votes
Cactus Jack/The Villain (1979)
No votes
Scavenger Hunt (1979)
No votes
Conan the Barbarian (1982)
21%
Conan the Destroyer (1984)
No votes
The Terminator (1984)
7%
Red Sonja (1985)
No votes
Commando (1985)
No votes
Raw Deal (1986)
No votes
Predator (1987)
7%
The Running Man (1987)
7%
Red Heat (1988)
No votes
Twins (1988)
No votes
Total Recall (1990)
29%
Kindergarten Cop (1990)
No votes
Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
14%
Last Action Hero (1993)
No votes
Dave (1993)
No votes
True Lies (1994)
7%
Junior (1994)
No votes
Eraser (1996)
No votes
Jingle All the Way (1996)
7%
Batman and Robin (1997)
No votes
End of Days (1999)
No votes
The 6th Day (2000)
No votes
Dr. Dolittle 2 (2001)
No votes
Collateral Damage (2002)
No votes
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003)
No votes
The Rundown (2003)
No votes
Around the World in 80 Days (2004)
No votes
The Expendables (2010)
No votes
The Expendables 2 (2012)
No votes
The Last Stand (2013)
No votes

Total votes : 14

Postby DennisMM on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:24 am

DaleTremont wrote:When he punches that camel in the face in Conan.

lolzers

Gets me every time!

A wonderful steal from Blazing Saddles
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Seppuku on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:50 am

DennisMM wrote:I just caught up with this thread. No, RT doesn't seem a likely soccer coach. But you forget, dads of young second families can change in many ways.

I guess I should have seen this coming when he covered "Oops! I did it again."

ETA: And thanks to the wonders of the internet, here it is!

Wow, that's actually pretty good... :shock:
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby DennisMM on Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:22 am

I like the audience singalong.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby buster00 on Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:42 am

Yoo meen yoo eet ahther peeble's lahnchez?

ZTOP EET!!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:10 am

Ok, in the spirit of the made up fight reference/jokes...

Arnie is fighting a clown in a bar, Arnie assumes the role of Bouncer/doorman, and the clown is making a show of himself, spraying people with water from his lapel 'flower' throwing buckets of tinsel all over the place and scuffing the floor with his square wheeled car...

Arnie comes over and grabs the clown by the back of the neck and throws him out of the door, as the clown looks back from the pavement he sees Arnie in the doorway, with a broad smile on his face, lighting a cigar and saying....

"Fuck off you red nosed cun-t!"
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:17 am

thebostonlocksmith wrote:Ok, in the spirit of the made up fight reference/jokes...

Arnie is fighting a clown in a bar, Arnie assumes the role of Bouncer/doorman, and the clown is making a show of himself, spraying people with water from his lapel 'flower' throwing buckets of tinsel all over the place and scuffing the floor with his square wheeled car...

Arnie comes over and grabs the clown by the back of the neck and throws him out of the door, as the clown looks back from the pavement he sees Arnie in the doorway, with a broad smile on his face, lighting a cigar and saying....

"Fuck off you red nosed cun-t!"

That sounds akin to a version of The Dark Knight, with Arnie as Batman and Jim Belushi as The Joker.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:37 am

I'm sorry, but it's always going to be:

'GED TOOOO DA CHAAWWPPER!!'
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:07 am

A different Chawper reference from the running man...

With Arnie at the helm of said chopper and being asked to fire on the amassed crowd below, he earnestly belows into his head set and at the other people aboard...

"For gawds saykes, there is innocent wimmin and childrin downs there!!"

brings a tear to my eyes each and every time...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Geeve these people aiaaaaaaaah! *nargh*: The Ahnold Thread

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:03 pm

I want to see your favorite quote of his, your favorite movie of his, your memories of seeing some of his eighties movies back when you were a little jimmy, your thoughts on if those same movies hold up... general Ahnold thread, basically.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Re: Geeve these people aiaaaaaaaah! *nargh*: The Ahnold Thre

Postby minstrel on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:00 am

Since you only gave us one option, I have to go with Terminator. Best quote? "I'll be back."

Sorry for being so predictable.

Predator would take second place for me. Then Conan the Barbarian, Commando, Total Recall, etc. etc.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby so sorry on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:51 am

As an unabashed Arnold 80s and 90s fan, I always struggle between Predator and Conan the Barbarian as his best film. But Predator is almost an ensemble film, so I usually pick Conan. Start to finish a
Kick ass movie. Fucking LOVE Conan.

" what is best in life?"
"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Bloo on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:48 am

Total Recall it was for me
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:32 am

I think 'T2' is the best film featuring Arnold, 'Conan the Barbarian' is the best one built around him, and 'Commando' the best way to test a potential relationship with an extraterrestrial species. If they don't get it then we probably don't want to know them, and vice versa.

For quotes, I like some of the more oddball, e.g.," I did nothing, the pavement was his enemy.", but the prayer to Crom is probably the best.

Favorite moments would be a tie between his roar in Predator and this:

BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:58 am

TERMINATOR 2: JUDGEMENT DAY is my favourite action movie. The film is perfectly built to deliver a good variety of action. You get some hand to hand stuff, some shoot-outs, some vehicle chases, some explosions all in one movie that never feels bloated. Cameron really shows his chops in being able to go between scenes of big spectacle and then back to the more intimate tension-driven stalker sequences that are more in line with the first film's roots in horror. The escape from the mental institution as well as the steel plant sequence at the end are both very tense and serve to balance out the bigger moments and put the focus back on the characters. The character arcs are all handled very well and Cameron really puts the weight of an epic on their shoulders. Perfect movie.
Last edited by Spandau Belly on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Al Shut on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:41 pm

Maybe I can come up with some clear thoughts later, all I can say now is that it's probably not the same watching him dubbed without an accent.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:25 pm

I know it was cheesy but Running Man holds a special place in my heart. I will watch it any time it is on.

"I don't do requests"
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby papalazeru on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:39 pm

Had to be Total Recall for me.

It's the culmination of years of muscle movies and then Twins came along which really just appreciated Arnie for his size and made him the butt of most of the jokes, it didn't do him justice.

When Total Recall came out, it was the most expensive movie ever made at the time (40 or 50 mil if I remember correctly) and it utilised ever part of Arnies limited acting range with the perfect balance of comedy.

To be honest it was a close call between this and Kindergarten Cop but because of his wonderful tongue in cheek performance throughout the movie, Total Recall wins.

CONZIDERDADADIVOAS!!!!!

There's just so many quotable and memorable moments that would never have been possible without Arnie.

Just look at the new version, an almost carbon copy of the Arnie vehicle with a bigger budget and yet it falls so much shorter than Danny Devito.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:48 am

Al Shut wrote:it's probably not the same watching him dubbed without an accent.

Yeah, I live in the billingual part of Canada, so we have television channels in French and English. The French channels frequently show Hollywood movies, but dubbed in French. I saw a lot of movies like this as a child and it frequently took something away from the performances. A big part of Clint Eastwood's charisma is his voice and delivery, I saw his movies dubbed in French as a child but found I really connected with him as an actor when I finally saw them in English with his real voice.

It makes me sad that Arnie doesn't dub his own voice for German releases of his films.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:49 am

Merged with Kirk's old Arnold thread. :D
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Al Shut on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:15 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:
Al Shut wrote:it's probably not the same watching him dubbed without an accent.

Yeah, I live in the billingual part of Canada, so we have television channels in French and English. The French channels frequently show Hollywood movies, but dubbed in French. I saw a lot of movies like this as a child and it frequently took something away from the performances. A big part of Clint Eastwood's charisma is his voice and delivery, I saw his movies dubbed in French as a child but found I really connected with him as an actor when I finally saw them in English with his real voice.

Most of the time, when done right, it also adds something to the performance. But judging from all the fake accents in everybody favorite quotes the accent is a huge part of Arnold's charm-

Spandau Belly wrote:It makes me sad that Arnie doesn't dub his own voice for German releases of his films.

Austrian accent for an action hero? Dear God, no.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Re: What is you favourite Arnold Schwarzenegger Moment?

Postby Wolfpack on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:23 pm

PUT THAT COOKIE DOWWWWN!
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:10 pm

The Terminator

"fuck you, asshole"
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:32 pm

I finished reading Arnie's autobiography, Total Recall: My Unbelievably True Life Story, and I greatly enjoyed it. If some ghostwriter wrote this thing, then he did a great job of capturing Arnie's voice. The whole book is written in short simple sentences with every second word being either a cuss word or in German. Arnie also employs a John McClane style of talking to himself, frequently starting sentences with "I said to myself..." and ending with "Fuck this!".

I was most interested in Arnie's career as a moviestar, but enjoyed that Arnie really gives the reader the full picture of his life as a bodybuilder, politician, pussyhound, businessman, and family man. Arnie also has many pearls of wisdom to offer from a life full of success, here are a few I remember:
-When you meet your girlfriend's mum, the first thing you should say is "Your daughter has a great ass!"
-If you are an Austrian immigrant trying to gain acceptance in the American media and become a lead actor, you should not say that you admire Adolf Hitler on camera.
-Method acting does not apply to your penis. Getting boners during love scenes in movies such as CONAN THE BARBARIAN just makes everybody on the set feel awkward.
-Vincent Van Gogh's biggest problem was bad marketing.
-Neither Wilt Chamberlain nor Grace Jones are black.
-Your wife will eventually catch on that the Putzfrau's kid looks exactly like you. Give her time. Be patient.

Arnie offers lots of great insight into some of his most beloved hits and a few of his misses. He credits himself with being able to predict which movies would be hits while he was making them, except for RED HEAT, which he thought would be much more popular. He offers some amusing trivia, such as wanting the line "I'll be back." in THE TERMINATOR changed because he thought it sounded feminine, but James Cameron stuck to his guns.

You also learn about his relationships with Hollywood bigshots. He details getting somewhat fucked by Dino DeLaurentis after CONAN THE BARBARIAN, and also his relationship falling out with Joel Silver over the direction they went with the PREDATOR sequel. I also did not know that everybody in Hollywood turned their backs on Arnie after his heart surgery, because they felt he might die while making a movie or that audiences would no longer accept him as an invincible action hero.

So I think this is a really good autobiography and a must-read for any Arnie fan. I really liked how he left it somewhat ambiguous at the end as to whether or not he really did all this stuff or whether it was just a memory implant. I doubt Colin Farrell's autobiography would do that.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:41 am

STAY HUNGRY

This was a film early on on Arnie's filmography that I had never really bothered to investigate. But after reading Arnie's autobiography and reading about how much he felt he learned as an actor from working on this film, I decided it would be worth a look. My grindhouse was showing FIVE EASY PIECES, a film that I love and consider among the best of those smallscale 70s character piece movies. And since STAY HUNGRY and FIVE EASY PIECES are both written and directed by Bob Rafelson, it seemed like a double bill written in the stars.

STAY HUNGRY is a small scale drama with a fairly recognizable/predictable main plotline, Jeff Bridges is sleazy rich businessman who plans to buy up a city block of small businesses, then flatten them, and build a skyscraper. The last business to be bought up is a bodybuilding club, but the owner won't sell. Bridges comes around trying to buy the place and quickly falls in love with the front desk girl, played by Sally Field, and forms a friendship with the resident champ, an eccentric Austrian bodybuilder played by Arnold Schwarzeneggar.

The movie goes through its motions and ends up exactly where you expect it to, and it's an okay movie, but I never really connected with it. The main reason probably being the main character. Both the writing and Bridges's performance fail to make this guy watchable. Bridges does an adequate job emoting. He smiles when he's happy, he raises his voice when he's angry, he frowns when he's troubled. But he never really injects this character with anything that makes him interesting. He has no charm, or edge, or angst, or wit, or energy. He's just a guy who follows the path of his character arc. The other problem probably being that the film never really becomes about bodybuilding to the degree that it should have. Since the main character's arc is that he comes to respect and love the bodybuilding community, we should see more of him learning about the details of bodybuilding and getting into it. We should see him learning more about their techniques, routines, and the relationships among the bodybuilders. Arnie's autobiography was actually very interesting because of the insider's view it gave the reader of this world, but this film is just lacking that.

Obviously Arnie found his success playing larger than life characters in far fetched movies, but it was neat to see Arnie in a downtoearth human drama role, and I felt he did a fairly good job. His character is supposed to be somewhat eccentric, but he never feels out place in terms of acting style or ability (he won a Golden Globe for his performance). Bridges and Field would later become strong dramatic actors, but at this early stage in their careers they're not exactly acting circles around Arnie.

The novelty of seeing The Dude, The Flying Nun, The Terminator, and Freddy Kruger all on screen together was not without merit, but I can't really say this movie is anything great. I can't call it bad, but it was really only interesting as a curiosity.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:55 pm

After reading your review of Arnold's book, I went straight to Amazon to order the audio version. Unfortunately, Arnold didn't read the audio version, Stephen Lang did. Lang is pretty good and all, but I'd rather listen to Arnold narrate his own debauchery.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:02 am

Did they market it all deceptively?

"Listen to Arnold Schwarzeneggar's memoirs as read by the star of Conan The Barbarian himself!"
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby so sorry on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:54 pm

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:29 pm

why is Kermit the Frog singing about the Hunger Games?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:57 am

Exclusive First Look at Schwarzenegger's Super Bowl Ad (2014)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:02 am

CROM!
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:54 am

Arnold Works at Gold's:
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:30 am

TheButcher wrote:Arnold Works at Gold's:

That was great. The uber-fake mustache and hair were not though.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:00 pm

so sorry wrote:
TheButcher wrote:Arnold Works at Gold's:

That was great. The uber-fake mustache and hair were not though.

Put that cookie dowwwwnnn....and get on the elliptical!
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:03 am

Arnold Schwarzenegger Pooped His Pants Filming ‘Predator’: 7 Other Things We Learned on Reddit

Old Arnold is a gift to us all

Review: Schwarzenegger and Stallone team up for so-so 'Escape Plan'
Someone lit a fire under Arnold, though
Moriarty wrote:Midway through "Escape Plan," the agreeably cheesy new thriller that stars both Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone, I found myself cackling as I imagined Arnold sitting in his agent's office, asking them to find him a project where he could do a whooooooooole lot of acting.

"I know you've found me a few starring roles since I made my comeback, and I did that 'Expendables' gig, but what I really want is a role where I get to do a lot of voices and improv comedy and I'm a mastermind who is constantly playing characters. Like I said. Lots and lots of acting."

I'm not sure I'd necessarily call all of that acting good, but it sure is fun to watch Arnold throw this much effort at anything. I'm not sure I believed he still had it in him, but he looks like he's having a blast here as Rottmayer, a convict who is locked away in The Tomb, the highest of high security prisons. He doesn't show up until about a third of the way into the film, but once he does, he can barely stop smiling.

"Escape Plan," directed by Mikael Hafstrom, is the exact kind of B-movie that was the bread and butter for both stars in the '80s, and the script by Miles Chapman and Jason Keller feels like it could have been sitting on a shelf all this time, just waiting for its moment.

Film Review: ‘Escape Plan’
Sean Hutchinson wrote:The best thing the film’s got going for it by far is the chemistry between the two formerly (possibly presently) juiced-up leads. As said before Stallone tries to act—the pair even gets into some self aware humor with Arnie saying, “You don’t look that smart,” and Stallone responding, “Neither do you”—but Schwarzenegger really shines as the wise-ass prison vet who knows more than he lets on because Schwarzenegger knows exactly what type of movie it is. He knows the fans want the one-liners and the tropes to be legit and he’s there to make it happen despite nothing making sense around him. I want to see Arnold fire a huge gun and he knows exactly how to fire it to make it look badass, case closed. I think this gets to the point of why Escape Plan works so well. A lot of the movies Stallone and Schwarzenegger have made recently try to live up to the one’s they made in their golden age and ultimately fail, yet this one seems like it could have been made right there in between Commando and Cobra. It retains the same balls-to-the-wall absurd spirit as the shoot-em-ups we grew up on even though both actors are now old enough to be in the AARP and they may not have done all of their own stunts this time around.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:23 am

Another Look At The Last Stand – Look! It Moves! By Adi Tantimedh
Guess what? It’s a good action movie. Perfectly good fun. It’s also a very well-directed action movie not getting enough credit.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: I'll Be Back

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:26 am

Moriarty vs Arnold:

Arnold Schwarzenegger on the honor of returning to both 'Conan' and 'The Terminator'

We discuss the inevitable part of this phase in his iconic career
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:31 am

For once I agree with McWeeny. I have no interest in a new TERMINATOR movie despite loving the first two. I just don't see anywhere for this story to go except backwards. As for a new CONAN movie, I agree that there is potential to tell an interesting story about old Conan. It has to be a really well-written movie, and the odds of this new movie being that good are slim, but at least I see potential. However, I feel that even if his new Conan movie is outstanding, people still won't turn out to see it.

I don't think Arnie took his comeback for granted. If you read Arnie's autobiography you can see he's pure business. He reads the numbers. He knows verywell that his career was a steady climb to TERMINATOR 2: JUDGEMENT DAY and his popularity/profitability as a movie star has been in steady decline ever since. Neither he nor the type of movie he is most assoicated with are terribly big anymore.

So far, I've liked that Arnie's comeback hasn't been sequels or remakes of his old movies and I'd rather see him continue to pursue fresh projects. He's still very charismatic and I still get a kick out of seeing him on screen. Neither THE LAST STAND nor ESCAPE PLAN were amazing, but they were okay movies. I'm looking forward to SABOTAGE. I always like David Ayer's writing. He's a solid storyteller, and I'm interested to see how he uses Arnie and incorporates him into this cast.
Last edited by Spandau Belly on Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Peven on Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:09 am

the only two Ahnold movies I enjoy are "Conan the Barbarian" and "Terminator", the ones that embraced their genre and used Ahnold in a way that fit his "skill" set. he didn't have to speak much and it was all about his physicality. T2 was too contrived, almost like fan fiction, and wasn't much more than a bunch of expensive gee whiz special effects. it lacked the raw, visceral, physical element Ahnold brought in the two movies I like him in. if they make a Conan movie that uses the Barbarian template for the character and don't try to make Conan something he isn't it could work, best if he goes down swinging before the end credits

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:28 pm

Man, no love for PREDATOR and TOTAL RECALL?
caruso_stalker217

Postby Peven on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:28 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Man, no love for PREDATOR and TOTAL RECALL?

you know what, I do like Predator, I forgot that one, I guess because it is the predator that makes the movie memorable, along with the side characters, more than Arnie, he is almost a supporting character. when Total Recall came out I liked it, but I was about 20 and not very discriminating at that time either, watching it now I see all the dumb shit I overlooked before and I end up just talking to the TV pointing it all out. :) back then, as a science fiction starved kid I was glad to watch almost any piece of shit movie in the genre, it was a very different entertainment landscape back then, not nearly as many sci-fi/fantasy movies made

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:46 pm

Not to derail the thread too much, but as an unabashed Arnold fan, my ranking is Conan, Terminator, Predator, Commando....then all the rest depending on my daily mood. I firmly stand in the camp that Total Recall is one of my least favorite flicks. It is very dated, his acting was sub par even for him, and the special effects were laughably bad for the most part. IMO.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:03 pm

i thought he was excellent in Kindergarten Cop. definitely the zenith of his acting resume. although i really do admire his work in Junior. that role was a real stretch for him.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:48 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i thought he was excellent in Kindergarten Cop. definitely the zenith of his acting resume. although i really do admire his work in Junior. that role was a real stretch for him.

Although I'm 87% sure you're being sarcastic, I agree completely.
caruso_stalker217

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:49 pm

Personally, I think PREDATOR is one of his best performances. And this was the same year he did THE RUNNING MAN, which features some of his worst acting.

TOTAL RECALL is still a great film.

His best performance is in TRUE LIES.
caruso_stalker217

Postby so sorry on Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:22 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Personally, I think PREDATOR is one of his best performances. And this was the same year he did THE RUNNING MAN, which features some of his worst acting.

TOTAL RECALL is still a great film.

His best performance is in TRUE LIES.

Dammit, how did I miss True Lies on my list! I'd put that 4th (still behind Conan terminator and predator).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:37 pm

I like TOTAL RECALL, although it's not among my top Arnie movies, it's still an fun flick. Lots of good twists and turns and memorable funny moments. It managed to be a meta-commentary on escapist action entertainment while also being it, which is tricky. Verhoeven also managed to get the whole virtual reality thing up on screen in a clear way, which is easy now but was trickier at the time.

I agree with sosorry that the production value is very shoddy. The sets feel very stagey. Arnie is also miscast. However, they did a remake of TOTAL RECALL with what I would call very good special effects and the type of actor that seemed more right for the role and the results were quite boring and made me even more forgiving of the original's shortcomings.

I can't stand TRUE LIES. Nothing to do with Schwarzenegger or Cameron, they did the best they could. For some reason I just always hate any movie about some dull yuppie dad who is really a super-spy/assassin. They just bug the shit out of me with the same joke over and over again.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:37 am

Pumping Iron and the birth of the 80s action hero
The 1977 docu-drama Pumping Iron launched Schwarzenegger's career, and led to an era of fitness obsession and action heroes
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Old Man Arnold is a gift to us all

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:38 am

VIDEO: Arnold Schwarzenegger Recalls His Iconic Lines With Jimmy Fallon
Fried Gold wrote:GEYT TOOO DAH CHAAPPPAAHH!!!!!!!!!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:33 am

Schwarzenegger Reveals The Secret Of His 'Terminator: Genesis' Character
Arnold reveals his robot will age; and there's more than one of him.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:33 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Actor Discussion