THE FILMS OF QUENTIN TARANTINO

Which director made the best films, made the best visuals, or smelled the best? This is the forum to find out.

Whats Your Favorite Tarantino Film?

Reservoir Dogs
13%
True Romance (screenplay)
No votes
Pulp Fiction
38%
Jackie Brown
25%
Kill Bill 1/2
No votes
Deathproof
No votes
Django Unchained
No votes
Inglorious Basterds
25%

Total votes : 8

Re: 'The Hateful Eight'

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 08, 2015 12:14 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: THE FILMS OF QUENTIN TARANTINO

Postby minstrel on Fri May 08, 2015 2:32 am

"The 10 most powerful babies"?
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Al Shut on Fri May 08, 2015 3:56 am

And now imagine Tarantino making a movie about that
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Re: The 10 Most Powerful Babies!

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:10 am

More awesome Kurt Russell-stache in this new HATEFUL EIGHT image!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:39 pm

Looks like QT finally got Ennio Morricone to do a score for him:

http://www.avclub.com/article/new-poster-ennio-morricone-score-revealed-hateful--222145
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:43 am

Ribbons wrote:Looks like QT finally got Ennio Morricone to do a score for him:

New poster, Ennio Morricone score revealed at The Hateful Eight Comic-Con panel

Nice!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:41 am

The Five Best Things Tarantino Said In His New York Mag Interview
Highlights of one of the best QT interviews ever.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: THE LOST FILMS OF QUENTIN TARANTINO

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:02 am

TheGuardian Thursday 19 February 2009:
Happy birthday, Len Deighton: we need you now more than ever
Jeremy Duns wrote:"It was the morning of my hundredth birthday." So begins Len Deighton's Billion Dollar Brain, published in 1966. Yesterday Deighton himself turned 80. Last year, the centenary of Ian Fleming saw a resurgence of interest in James Bond's creator – could it be Deighton's turn? HarperCollins has announced that it will reprint eight of his novels this year, including The Ipcress File, Funeral in Berlin and Billion Dollar Brain, all with new introductions by the author. Quentin Tarantino has also said he is contemplating filming the Game, Set and Match trilogy, featuring Deighton's embattled British agent Bernard Samson.

WhatCulture August 14, 2009:
Tarantino doesn’t need James Bond to make a British spy/Cold war movie!
Matt Holmes wrote:According to Tarantino himself who has been speaking to Yahoo – he claims he is musing over an adaptation of the trilogy of British writer Len Deighton‘s novels, Berlin Game, Mexico Set and London Match… Tarantino said…
I love England. It would be a wonderful life experience to have an excuse to work here for six or nine months. One of the things I am musing about doing is the trilogy of Len Deighton books, Berlin Game, Mexico Set and London Match. The story takes place in the Cold War and follows a spy named Bernard Samson. What is attractive is the really great characters and the wonderful opportunities of British and German casting.

In the interview, Quentin even mentioned which British actors he would be interested in…
I am a huge fan of Simon Pegg, so I would definitely love to work with him. I also think Kate Winslet is one of the best actresses that ever lived, so I would be honoured to work with her. I am also a huge admirer of Anthony Hopkins. I would also love to work with Michael Caine. I can see them appearing in my movies, it just has to be right.

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: THE LOST FILMS OF QUENTIN TARANTINO

Postby RaulMonkey on Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:41 am

TheButcher wrote:TheGuardian Thursday 19 February 2009:
Happy birthday, Len Deighton: we need you now more than ever
Jeremy Duns wrote:"It was the morning of my hundredth birthday." So begins Len Deighton's Billion Dollar Brain, published in 1966. Yesterday Deighton himself turned 80. Last year, the centenary of Ian Fleming saw a resurgence of interest in James Bond's creator – could it be Deighton's turn? HarperCollins has announced that it will reprint eight of his novels this year, including The Ipcress File, Funeral in Berlin and Billion Dollar Brain, all with new introductions by the author. Quentin Tarantino has also said he is contemplating filming the Game, Set and Match trilogy, featuring Deighton's embattled British agent Bernard Samson.

WhatCulture August 14, 2009:
Tarantino doesn’t need James Bond to make a British spy/Cold war movie!
Matt Holmes wrote:According to Tarantino himself who has been speaking to Yahoo – he claims he is musing over an adaptation of the trilogy of British writer Len Deighton‘s novels, Berlin Game, Mexico Set and London Match… Tarantino said…
I love England. It would be a wonderful life experience to have an excuse to work here for six or nine months. One of the things I am musing about doing is the trilogy of Len Deighton books, Berlin Game, Mexico Set and London Match. The story takes place in the Cold War and follows a spy named Bernard Samson. What is attractive is the really great characters and the wonderful opportunities of British and German casting.

In the interview, Quentin even mentioned which British actors he would be interested in…
I am a huge fan of Simon Pegg, so I would definitely love to work with him. I also think Kate Winslet is one of the best actresses that ever lived, so I would be honoured to work with her. I am also a huge admirer of Anthony Hopkins. I would also love to work with Michael Caine. I can see them appearing in my movies, it just has to be right.

I predict this one will remain one of his musings, given how he feels about his experience adapting Elmore Leonard for Jackie Brown. We've all heard the quote, how he loves the movie but didn't have quite the same excitement on the final laps of promoting it as he did with the films that were all his.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:05 am

THR:
Quentin Tarantino Confirms Retirement Rumors: Two More Films and Out!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:54 am

Variety APRIL 28, 2017:
7 Things You Don’t Know About ‘Reservoir Dogs,’ As Told by Quentin Tarantino and the Cast
Gordon Cox wrote:Mr. White, Mr. Orange, Mr. Blonde, Mr. Pink, Mr. Brown: They all reunited for the 25th anniversary retrospective screening of “Reservoir Dogs” at the Tribeca Film Festival April 28. Cast members Harvey Keitel, Tim Roth, Michael Madsen, Steve Buscemi and writer-director-actor Quentin Tarantino all got together to reminisce after the 1992 movie screened to a packed house at the Beacon Theater. Here are seven fun facts they revealed.

1. Tom Waits auditioned.
Tarantino let this tidbit slip as he discussed the casting process. “We had the casting director from ‘L.A. Law,'” the director recalled. “A lot of really wild people came in and read the parts. Tom Waits came in and read. I had Tom Waits read the Madonna speech, just so I could hear Tom Waits say those lines. And actually, other than Harvey, he gave me one of the first profound compliments on the script. No one had ever told me my work was poetic before.” (Roth, Madsen and Chris Penn all got their parts through those L.A. auditions; Buscemi came aboard after a round of casting in New York.)

2. Tarantino wanted to stage “Reservoir Dogs” as a play.
Keitel brought up this factoid as he recalled the film’s unusually long rehearsal process. “We had two weeks of rehearsal, which is unheard of in Hollywood,” he said. “We actually almost went to four, because Quentin thought at one time about doing a play.”

3. Madsen had never done his “Stuck in the Middle With You” dance until the day they shot the scene.
The most iconic moment in “Reservoir Dogs” is unquestionably the scene in which Madsen’s character, Mr. Blonde, tortures a captured cop (Kirk Baltz), cutting off his ear after doing a little dance to the jaunty tune of Stealers Wheel’s “Stuck in the Middle With You.” That dance was entirely spontaneous, it turns out. “You never made me do it in rehearsal, because I was so intimidated by it,” Madsen reminded Tarantino at the panel. “I didn’t know what to do. In the script, it said, ‘Mr. Blonde maniacally dances around.’ And I kept thinking, ‘What the f–k does that mean? Like Mike Jagger, or what? What the f–k am I gonna do?'”

4. Madsen eventually got his inspiration from James Cagney.
The actor didn’t even practice his big moment at home. When it finally came time for him to shoot the big torture scene, he found inspiration in an unlikely source. “I heard the music, and I said, ‘Oh, f–k, I better do something,’ and I started thinking about Jimmy Cagney,” Madsen said. “I remembered this weird little thing that Jimmy Cagney did in a movie that I saw. I don’t remember the name of it. He did this crazy little dance thing. It just popped into my head in the last second. That’s where it came from.” They only shot the scene three or four times, and the first shot of him breaking into that dance is the from the very first take.

5. Tarantino took a cue from the Coen Brothers.
The director said he had always intended for “Reservoir Dogs” to be more than a genre film. He was particularly intrigued with the idea of casting Roth because the British actor had some real art-house cred after his breakout work in 1990 films “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead” and “Vincent and Theo.” “You were like this budding art-film superstar,” Tarantino told Roth at the panel. “And I didn’t want ‘Reservoir Dogs’ to be a straight-to-video genre movie. I wanted it to be a genre-based art film, like ‘Blood Simple,”” he added, referring to the Coen Brothers’ 1984 film.

6. Most walkouts in a single screening: 33.
Creatives relished when the movie made audience members flee during festival screenings. “I started counting the walkouts during the torture scene,” Tarantino said. “33 was the largest walkout.” He added that he had thought that at least everyone would be able to sit through it when it screened at the Sitges Horror Film Festival, where they had just shown Peter Jackson’s gore-soaked early film, “Dead Alive.” “I thought, ‘Finally, I’ve got an audience that won’t walk out.’ Five people walk out of that audience — including Wes Craven! The f–kin’ guy who did ‘Last House on the Left’! My movie was too tough for him?”

7. One of Taratino’s favorite memories from the film didn’t happen on set.
During the panel, Tarantino reminisced about one of his favorite moments making the film, which happened at a cast dinner at Keitel’s house after the cast had spent two weeks rehearsing the material. “I really realized that gosh, a lot of the pressure was off my shoulders cinematically,” he said. “These guys were so perfect in their parts; they were so vibing with each other; they so understood the material. I thought, ‘F–k, if I just keep this movie in focus, I’ve got a movie. Anything else I bring to it will just be frosting. The cake is here. ‘”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Brad Pitt is Tarantino's MANSON

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:01 pm

THR JULY 11, 2017:
Quentin Tarantino Prepping New Movie Tackling Manson Murders (Exclusive)
Borys Kit wrote:Quentin Tarantino is quietly starting to put together his latest project, and is talking to A-list actors for what is promising to be a unique take on the Manson Family murders.

The project, whose title is unknown, was written by Tarantino, who would also direct. Harvey and Bob Weinstein, who have produced and executive produced the previous Tarantino films, are involved, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

WME is said to be in the early stages of shopping the project to studios to co-finance and co-distribute the venture. The move apes the way Tarantino and the Weinsteins made the filmmaker’s 2009 movie Inglourious Basterds, which had Universal Studios as a financial and distributing partner.

Sources say that Tarantino is putting the finishing touches on the script and that Brad Pitt, who worked with the filmmaker on Basterds, and Jennifer Lawrence have been approached. Studios could receive the package after Labor Day, according to one source. The plan is to shoot in 2018, possibly in the summer.

Script details are fuzzy but one of the stories centers on Sharon Tate, the actress and wife of director Roman Polanski who was murdered by Manson and his followers in 1969.

Manson had ordered a group of his followers to attack the inhabitants of a house in the Benedict Canyon part of Los Angeles, believing it was owned by a record producer who earlier had rejected him.

Over the course of several hours on the night of Aug. 8, the four followers, using guns and knives, brutally killed Tate, who was eight months pregnant, and four other occupants.

In 1971, Manson and certain members of his crew were sentenced to life imprisonment for these and several other murders committed that summer.

If the Manson-Tate project does become Tarantino’s next film, it becomes unique in that it will be his first movie to be based on true events. Tarantino has molded his career into taking his favorite genres such as crime, Westerns and blaxploitation and elevating them to A-list status while also paying homage to them.

He also has proven to be able to create strong and memorable female roles, from the title character in Jackie Brown to the Bride in Kill Bill to the female characters on display in Death Proof.

Tate could be the latest to join that list.

Any actor involvement is on the early side, and one insider said that Lawrence is not considering the Tate role.

WME had no comment.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Tarantino's MANSON: NATURAL BORN KILLERS 2

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:09 pm

Deadline July 11, 2017:
Quentin Tarantino Met With Margot Robbie For Sharon Tate: Sources
Mike Fleming Jr wrote:EXCLUSIVE: Word has gotten out that Quentin Tarantino’s next film will be a drama revolving around the Manson Family murders. Deadline has heard that Tarantino met with Margot Robbie to potentially play Sharon Tate, the actress wife of director Roman Polanski who was slain in 1969 in a brutal murder whose savagery shocked the country.

I’ve also heard that Samuel L. Jackson likely also will play a lead in the film, not a surprise since he is to Tarantino what Clarence Clemons was to Bruce Springsteen. A report in THR posited Tarantino’s Inglourious Basterds star Brad Pitt (and Deadline hears he’s being courted to play the detective investigating the murder) as well as possibly Jennifer Lawrence.

Clearly word of this has gotten out before Tarantino was ready, but every project by the writer-director is major news. No one is confirming anything at this point, and I don’t think any roles have been promised yet. Robbie will reprise in Suicide Squad 2, which now is courting Jaume Collet-Serra to direct at Warner Bros, and she starred in and produced I, Tonya, playing disgraced Olympic figure skater Tonya Harding.

Nobody has read the new script, so all this is a bit liquid at the moment. I just hope Tarantino watermarks the scripts this time before showing them to his potential cast! Stay tuned.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:52 am

Interesting choice.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:09 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Interesting choice.

I'm of course talking about Tarantino's new old man hair.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:22 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:Interesting choice.

I'm of course talking about Tarantino's new old man hair.

he Killed Bill.... and stole his hair.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: Tarantino's Natural Born Killers

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:36 am

Quentin Tarantino on getting rejected by Hollywood Readers

Cinema: Tarantino v Stone
Quentin Curtis wrote:At last it can be told. After months of dispute, Tarantino's screenplay of 'Natural Born Killers' has finally been published. Quentin Curtis reports on a battle of Hollywood heavyweights.

"LADEEEES and gen'lemen, take your seats for the main attraction of the evening: The Fight of the Cinematic Century, a no-holds-barred scrap for the title of Middlebrow Champion of Hollywood, over a dozen rounds of litigation. In the (blood) red corner: from Knoxville, Tennessee, Quentin 'The Kid' Tarantino. In the black corner: a native of New York, Ollie 'Prince of Paranoia' Stone."

It is hard not to view the recent legal tussle between Oliver Stone and Quentin Tarantino in pugilistic terms. Ostensibly there was no more at stake than the rights to Tarantino's screenplay, Natural Born Killers, written in his years as a struggling scriptwriter, and now notoriously filmed (and altered) by Stone. Faber and Faber in this country, and Grove Atlantic in the US, had planned to bring out Tarantino's original script in January of this year. But Stone and the producers of NBK objected, arguing that in selling them the rights to the film, Tarantino had surrendered the publishing rights as well. It wasn't until last Monday that Faber was finally able to publish Tarantino's NBK. A common enough legal dispute, but one spiced up by being contended by two of the heaviest hitters in Hollywood, whose styles of film-making - united only in controversy - represent alternative paths of radicalism for US movies.

Faber rushed out NBK within a week of getting the legal green light, having had their operation on stand-by for months. Their haste was understandable. Tarantino is a publishing as well as a film phenomenon. His screenplay sales have expanded a traditionally meagre market. Pulp Fiction has now sold about 100,000 copies; Reservoir Dogs 50,000; True Romance 20,000 (another 90,000 were distributed free with Premiere magazine); 18,000 copies of NBK have been bought by bookshops. That is a total approaching 200,000 - the figure clocked up by Faber's other sales champion, Alan Bennett's Writing Home. Faber's previous most popular screenplay was Dennis Potter's The Singing Detective, which sold 30,000 copies.

Who buys all these scripts? Do amateur dramatic groups put on Goodfellas (15,000 sales) for their Christmas panto? More likely, fans snap up Tarantino's screenplays as much for their souvenir value, wanting a hip sort of holy relic, as for their unique pith and pungency. Faber's use of large mug- shots of Tarantino, in Reservoir Dogs-style dark suit and tie, on the covers of NBK and True Romance, may have been prompted by legal restraints on the use of stills. But it suggests the promotion of a pop star rather than an auteur.

The first point to make about Tarantino's NBK script is that it's not very good; the second is that it's a lot better than Stone's film. In an introduction to the script of True Romance (which Tony Scott directed), Tarantino explains that both it and NBK were written to be his own directorial debut. NBK certainly reads like an apprentice work. If you'd received it to assess as a movie proposition, you'd have recognised the immense promise (you hope), but turned it down. It has the canny dialogue and dark exhilaration of Tarantino's later work, but less control. Yet there's a touching sincerity in the script that is totally absent from the film. Tarantino has said of his decision not to direct NBK and True Romance: "I think of them as old girlfriends: I loved them, but I didn't want to marry them anymore." You can understand, then, his chagrin at NBK getting screwed by Oliver Stone.

NBK (for those lucky enough not to have seen it) is about a pair of serial- killer sweethearts. The movie chronicles their crimes, capture, imprisonment and eventual escape - and the escalation of their perverse celebrity. Stone's argument - proclaimed so loudly and insistently that no viewer could miss it - is that the media are complicit in these crimes, their amoral prurience having destroyed society's sense of reality. Stone makes his point with a pell-mell of shooting styles - film, video, television. But without any logic in their use, the film becomes a promiscuous mess. Tarantino's script is much more disciplined. There are fewer styles of shooting, and each makes dramatic sense (a hold-up in a 7-Eleven store is shot throughout by a security camera, where Stone uses a stylistic kaleidoscope) - while also casting light on our culture of viewing.

Stone has squeezed the subtlety out of Tarantino's script. The script's mercurial tone - now a Tarantino trademark - shifts between humour and horror, romance and savagery, perceptiveness and derangement, wisdom and naivety. Of his killer Tarantino says: "Restrained as he is by the symbols of society (the chains, jail, guards, guns, jumpsuits), he remains a dangerous, intimidating, and fascinating figure." There is insight there, a curiosity about character missing from Stone, even if it is tinged with infatuation. And Tarantino's violence is more complex than Stone's - both appalling and hilarious. In the 7-Eleven shoot-out, Tarantino switches between realism and cartoon knock-about. First: "Mickey shoots a customer who lies on the ground screaming." Then: "Mallory blasts a female customer, holding a Big Gulp. She flies into the comic-book rack." As in Marx's theory of history, the first time is tragedy, the second farce.

Tarantino's Grand Guignol gags lay him open to accusations of anarchy. But his NBK is much more serious and responsible than Stone's. His theme is suggested in a speech cut in the film. A slyly written psychiatrist analyses the authorities' treatment of the killers:

"Well, what they decided to do was to set up a kangaroo medical court that found them crazy. Then they get them transferred to Nystrom Medical Asylum or Lobotomy Bay as it's referred to in psychiatric circles. Put 'em on a strict dope and electric-shock diet, and Mickey and Mallory cease to be a problem to anybody except the orderlies who clean out the bedpans, which, if you want to see them get theirs, is all well and good. But there's something being said here ... What the board is saying is 'We give up'. Mickey and Mallory ran amok in polite society. They were put in an alternative society and they ran amok there, too. All the powers that be can't deal with these two kids. And whatever can't be assimilated has to be terminated."

That last line is very much the approach of Tarantino's detractors to his films - and it should serve as a rebuke to them. Tarantino's subject is extremity, and he has the boldness to look it in the eye - and often laugh at it - while others turn and wish it would go away.

And yet Tarantino isn't a message movie-maker. Where Tarantino hints, Stone bludgeons - the difference between an artist and an egomaniac. "To me the best thing about him is his energy," Tarantino, who claims not to have seen NBK, has said of Stone. "But his biggest problem is that his obviousness cancels out his energy and his energy pumps up his obviousness." Tarantino's wit deflates portentousness, and his acute ear ensures that his wild fantasy is grounded in reality. Some of his dialogue is even more fun on the page than on the screen. Too much of it has been heedlessly cut by Stone, such as a London fan's verdict on the killers: "Their cause is each uvver!"

But Tarantino's virtuosity may carry as many dangers for American film as Stone's crudeness. There are already signs that his parodic style is rendering traditional genres obsolete. And Stone may be the man to redress the balance with his forthcoming Nixon, whose script is said to be both riveting and perceptive. Whatever these two heavyweights go on to produce, it is a shame their recent bout produced a film that is anything but a knock-out.

/film December 9th, 2010:
John August’s Coverage of Quentin Tarantino’s ‘Natural Born Killers’

FlavorWire August 25, 2014:
Imagining the Quentin Tarantino-Directed ‘Natural Born Killers’ That Could Have Been

Natural Born Killers: The Tarantino Cut

Read an excerpt from Matt Zoller Seitz's new book "The Oliver Stone Experience."
Oliver Stone Reveals ‘Natural Born Killer’ Secrets, From Working with Tarantino’s Script to Bob Dole’s Angry Reaction

The Cinemaholic August 6, 2016:
‘Natural Born Killers’: The Best Tarantino Film Not Made by Tarantino
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:28 pm

NATURAL BORN KILLERS = visual diarrhea.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheButcher on Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:25 pm

TREK WEB SEPTEMBER 23, 2017:
Quentin Tarantino Is Open To Directing A Star Trek Movie…And He Has Some Ideas
ANTHONY PASCALE wrote:There is a lot going on related to Star Trek returning to TV on Sunday but this week has a tiny bit of news in the Star Trek film area. There is still no news on progress on a new feature moving forward at Paramount, but a notable Oscar-winning writer/director has indicated he would be interested. Yesterday TMZ posted an short ambush interview with Quentin Tarantino from LAX airport asking if he would direct a Star Trek movie and he replied “It would be worth having a meeting about.” He also confirmed his previous statements that he plans to direct two more films before retiring.

Why did TMZ choose to ask Tarantino about Star Trek? Well in the last couple of weeks an audio clip of Tarantino has been buzzing around the Internet where he talks about Star Trek. The clip (below) has picked up around 180,000 views on YouTube since it was published two weeks ago, but it was actually from a 2015 Nerdist podcast interview.

When asked if he would be interested in directing a Star Wars film, Tarantino told the Nerdist crew he would prefer to do a Star Trek film. He said he was a big fan of the original Star Trek series and liked the J.J. Abrams 2009 Star Trek film, but didn’t care for 2013’s Into Darkness follow-up. Tarantino also noted that many classic Star Trek episodes could be “easily expanded” into a feature film, and he specifically mentioned the TNG episode “Yesterday’s Enterprise” as one that could work on the big screen.

Talking about Tarantino doing a Star Trek film is fun, but is certainly premature and probably not very likely. Tarantino is not the kind of director who could be brought in to make a film based on an story or script developed by others, which is the most likely scenario for the next Trek feature. Plus, he is already set to write and direct a film about the Manson family which is due in 2019, so would he want to make a franchise film like Star Trek be his 10th and final film? And while Paramount hasn’t been in a rush to move forward on another Star Trek, would they want to wait until 2019 to start the next project?

NERDIST PODCAST DECEMBER 18, 2015:
EPISODE 774: QUENTIN TARANTINO
Quentin Tarantino (director, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill) chats with Chris and Matt about going to Comic-Con back in the day, what movies inspired him as a kid, and how he turns everything he reads and sees into a movie in his head. He also talks about his process while directing and writing, things that almost made it into his movies, and what to expect with The Hateful Eight!

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:27 pm

Deadline December 4, 2017:
Quentin Tarantino Hatches ‘Star Trek’ Movie Idea; Paramount, JJ Abrams To Assemble Writers Room
Mike Fleming Jr wrote:EXCLUSIVE: Already busy prepping to direct the film he just set up at Sony Pictures, Quentin Tarantino is also planning to boldly go where he has not gone before. Sources said that Tarantino has come up with a great idea for a Star Trek movie at Paramount. After sharing his idea with JJ Abrams (who himself is busy prepping Star Wars Episode IX), I’ve heard the plan is to assemble a writers room of scribes who’ll hear Tarantino’s take and begin to put together a movie. If it all works out, Tarantino might direct it, with Abrams producing.

While Tarantino has always come up with his own original films, many have wondered what he might do if he took the reins of an existing franchise. He has only done that on television, twice directing episodes of CSI and once an episode of ER. He has spoken about the appeal of taking on one of the James Bond movies, but the hard part of something like that is getting the rights holders to give him a wide creative swath that comes along with a final cut auteur like Tarantino. This would give a remarkable boost to the venerable franchise for Paramount, which is looking to build them under studio chief Jim Gianopulos.

As Deadline revealed last month, Tarantino agreed to make his next film for Sony Pictures. The untitled film is an ensemble that deals with a period in Los Angeles around the time of the Manson murder spree around 1969. He has asked Margot Robbie to play Sharon Tate, and has been discussing two great male lead roles with Tom Cruise, Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt, though he hasn’t yet set final casting. Release date is August 9, 2019. That is the 50th anniversary of the death of Sharon Tate, but the description of the picture as a Manson Family pic isn’t really accurate, kind of like describing Inglorious Basterds as a movie about Hitler.

Paramount declined comment, and attempts to reach Tarantino’s camp were unavailing. Stay tuned.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:38 pm

i look forward to the scene where Michael Madsen cuts off Spock's ear while dancing to Stuck In The Middle With You.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:36 pm

What ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak Klingon on What?

Do I LOOK like a Cardassian?

Get me my phaser. It's the one that says badass motherfucker.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Previous

Return to Director Discussion