WOODY (he-he) ALLEN

Which director made the best films, made the best visuals, or smelled the best? This is the forum to find out.

The best Woody

Annie Hall
21%
Bananas
5%
Bullets Over Broadway
5%
Crimes and Misdemeanors
5%
Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex...
5%
Hannah and Her Sisters
No votes
Manhattan
16%
Mighty Aphrodite
5%
The Purple Rose of Cairo
No votes
Sleeper
21%
Take the Money and Run
No votes
What's Up, Tiger Lily?
11%
Other
5%

Total votes : 19

WOODY (he-he) ALLEN

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:50 pm

say what you will 'bout the man, but he's had quite a career. I've heard his latest, Match Point is his best in years. Here's a (French subtitled) trailer I found.

http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/003649.html

Oh Scarlett, sweet sweet Scarlett. Anyway, vote, discuss, blah blah blah.

I'm torn between Annie Hall and Bananas. Brilliant comedic writing.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:08 pm

HUGE Woody Allen fan here. Ive seen almost all his movies. They are both very witty and funny and brilliantly shot/scored. I can watch them anytime.

My favorites being: Whats Up Tiger Lily? (the redubbed Japanese spy film) Bananas, Sleeper, Love and Death, Annie Hall, Manhattan, Stardust Memories, Zelig, Broadway Danny Rose, Radio Days.

"These goddamn Japanese rocket packs!" - Sleeper
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:38 pm

I was thinking about saying Manhattan, but damn, too many other movies on this poll are just as much an accomplishment or even moreso, as this film.

Did you know I was an Extra on Woody's first Scarlett Johanson film? He'd shoot only up to the point where he was happy with the day, unlike ANY OTHER Director that had a proper shooting schedule including late wrap time. Not Woody man. He did whatever he wanted. I think it was 'cos he respected (like Clint Eastwood does), that his crew have families and don't wanna lose their entire evenings working. He also wanted to piss off and do other stuff too.

There was also a rumour that one of his main reasons for shooting those 2 Scarlett films in London, was just to give him an excuse to be here, and be close to his Jazz venues.

He'd let his actor shoot long takes and improvise freely. If they made a mistake he'd let them continue without having to 'go again' as many Directors do. Didn't seem to do too many angles for a dialogue scene either, but instead have each angle go on for a long time. Then again, when I peeped a look at the script for the scene, it did go on long, but that's characteristic of all his films, in a good way too. The best Directors are the ones from the 70s it seems man. THAT's how you direct the actors.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:48 pm

Wait, which movie? Match Point? Were you in the vicinity of Scarlett? SWEET!

That's some great intel. on Woody, thanks man.

Stupid question, but did you pull a Cosmo Kramer? "These peanuts are making me thirsty?" Gotta ask.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:56 pm

Yeah, turns out it is Match Point. Thought that film had already been released! No Scarlett that day though. Johnathan Rhys Meyers was being interviewed in the Police Station by James Nesbitt about Scarlett's character I believe.

Woody seemed like a bloody nice guy. Very pleasent. You know I can't remember if I even spoke to this guy when we were shooting, even if it was a few words. You do so many films like these for just one day, it seems to go in a blink of the eye, and you forget so much of what you've done. Yeah, go Woody!

Cosmo Kramer? Peanuts? Explain, and I'll answer.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:06 pm

Episode of Seinfeld.

Kramer got a bit part in a Woody Allen movie.

His line was "these peanuts are making me thirsty."
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:14 pm

First of all that was a tough movie choice, I had to plump for Mahnhatten, just because I saw it for the first time recently, and I fell in love with it.

Secondly, this whole thing is kinda weird, cause not only have I just watched Manhatten a matter of days ago, but the same with that episode of Sienfeld you mentioned keepcoolbutcare. And not on TV either, I'm in the UK, so I have that 3 season boxset deal, and now and again I slip in a random episode to watch you know, and a few days ago I watched that very episode! And if I remember the line, I think it goes "These pretzels are making my thirsty!", it's a great episode, espically Jerry's whole plotline with the rental care company...
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:16 pm

Oh! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

No, no such luck. Damn. I did get stared right out by Colin Firth as I just stared at and fell in love on the spot with his co star Irene Jacob, when they were shooting Four Play over here. He was well pissed off and I didn't care. All I knew was Irene Jacob Irene Jacob Irene Jacob.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby athenabodicea on Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:17 pm

We could have a whole topic dedicated just to Seinfeld...And it could go on and on and on.... I love that show.... Ummm Flummm??? Did you just double dip that chip?? You might as well stick your whole mouth in the dip bowl...lol
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Flumm on Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:55 am

Sienfeld does literally rule, puts a lot of other stuff in a completely different light, like Buffy, and Friends, espically friends. I just wish I could buy another boxset with seasons 4. 5, 6. I even knew they were luring me in with the first 3 season boxset, and I bought it anyway. Bastards.

I'm off to watch an episode over breafast, and then watch the second half of Citizen Kane.

I wish I had the wit to make that up.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:52 am

Hey Captain do you have any screen caps from movies where we actually see you in a shot or whatever? Like, could you post these pics with an arrow pointing to some random dude but that random dude is really you in the movie? In how many movies do you actually show up on screen as an extra?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Flumm on Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:20 am

:shock:
Last edited by Flumm on Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:29 am

Flumm wrote: :shock:

Yeah, but my favorite physical activity is scaring the hell outta little shits. Next time, instead of confusing the hell outta me, why don't you put your posts where they're relevant? (In this case in the Late Friday/Early Saturday thread)
Last edited by Pacino86845 on Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Flumm on Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:03 am

You make a convincing arguement.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:59 pm

That was for you, buddy!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:05 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Hey Captain do you have any screen caps from movies where we actually see you in a shot or whatever? Like, could you post these pics with an arrow pointing to some random dude but that random dude is really you in the movie? In how many movies do you actually show up on screen as an extra?

If you're a good boy, I'll see if you can get this as your Christmas wish. Meanwhile I'm looking at posting clips of me dancing like a prat in a NY club - just before I get the shit kicked outta me.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:21 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:If you're a good boy, I'll see if you can get this as your Christmas wish. Meanwhile I'm looking at posting clips of me dancing like a prat in a NY club - just before I get the shit kicked outta me.

To be perfectly honest, I´m more interested in seeing the "shit kicked out of you" part.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:26 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:If you're a good boy, I'll see if you can get this as your Christmas wish. Meanwhile I'm looking at posting clips of me dancing like a prat in a NY club - just before I get the shit kicked outta me.

To be perfectly honest, I´m more interested in seeing the "shit kicked out of you" part.

Again, if you're a good boy, I'll see what I can do.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:11 pm

Where's a the vote for a King Kong, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:04 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Where's a the vote for a King Kong, eh?

:?

Unless you're jesting at Voldemoo.

Poor guy STILL hasn't lived that one down huh?
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:15 pm

I swore to hate Annie Hall years ago, well before I'd even seen it because it was the movie that beat Star Wars for Best Picture. Then I saw it and fell in friggin' love. The entire end piece, from Woody directing his play based on his relationship with Annie to the end montage over "Seems Like Old Times"--that movie made me a better boyfriend.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Cbabbitt on Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:41 pm

Woody Allen's career revisited:

Top Ten Favorites:

1. Husbands and Wives
2. Match Point
3. Annie Hall
4. Broadway Danny Rose
5. Hannah and her Sisters
6. Purple Rose of Cairo
7. Crimes & Misdemeanors
8. Manhattan Murder Mystery
9. September
10. Manhattan

Honorable Mentions: Shadows & Fog, Sweet and Lowdown, Deconstructing Harry, Bullets over Broadway.

Man, what a career. Then there's Zelig, Love & Death, Alice, Take the Money and Run, and Radio Days.

One of the best filmmakers ever. What are your favorites?
Cbabbitt
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby jgraphix on Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:43 pm

Was Celebrity a woody allen movie?
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:44 pm

Goddamn it, where the hell's Sleeper on that list. Not even on the honorable mentions section either.

And Woody Allen never made a film called Deconstructing Grande Rojo.

You know, I'm starting to think you don't even like Woody Allen at all ;)
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Cbabbitt on Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:44 pm

Yeah, Celebrity is Woody Allen. I'm one of the few that really enjoys it.
Cbabbitt
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby jgraphix on Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:49 pm

Ok..well my 2 favs are Match Point and Celebrity
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby bluebottle on Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:52 pm

Love and Death is IMHO his funniest and most interesting in terms of his career. You can see him growing out of his early slapstick phase as he gets ready for his more personal phase. (Annie Hall came immediately afterwards)

It's like the track "Echoes" on "Meddle" which preceded "Dark Side of the Moon"
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:22 pm

hmmm...Annie Hall or Bananas?

Thanks a lot fellow mods...when one of your topics gets repeated, it's "oh, let's lock this, we can't have two threads on the same subject."

Yesterday it's Doc "let's shit on kc's Literary Cons thread", today it's Babbit (I WENT TO YOUR DAMN SITE ALL THE TIME, BACKSTABBER!) who proves he's not an excellent driver.

Kirks, does your "Overthrow the mods" movement need a mole?
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cottonwood on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:33 pm

Oh boy, quite a few to choose, but here goes, in no particular order:

Purple Rose of Cairo
Annie Hall
Play It Again, Sam
Crimes and Misdemeanors
Zelig
Cottonwood
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:37 pm

Umm, keepcool, you can do the honors with a tasty lock and re-direct. I often post in repeat threads without knowing they're repeats.

And Annie Hall. Hands down.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:46 pm

nah', give this thread another hour and it'll surpass the paltry 20 posts that my initial thread generated.

the damage to my psyche is done...i'll just be under my sheets, head in my pillow to absorb the plaintive wails of sorrow 'bout how nobody loves me. But I do that everyday, so it's no big deal.

I'll quote the man himself...

"Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon."
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stupitt on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:51 pm

The best Woody Allen movie ever was "What's Up, Tiger Lily?" Woody worked really well with his all-Asian cast... it makes one wonder why Asians are mostly absent from all of his subsequent films?

http://www.writingup.com/blog/stu_pitt
stupitt
GLIB

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:02 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:nah', give this thread another hour and it'll surpass the paltry 20 posts that my initial thread generated.

the damage to my psyche is done...i'll just be under my sheets, head in my pillow to absorb the plaintive wails of sorrow 'bout how nobody loves me. But I do that everyday, so it's no big deal.

I'll quote the man himself...

"Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon."

Pull yourself together man, or I'll purple-nurple you!!! Pansy!

Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:08 pm

ooh, HARDER!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Iconoclastica on Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:52 pm

Crimes and Misdemeanors is untoppable . . . it epitomizes Allen's whole jewboy existential angst perspective, in addition to entailing the most interesting and compelling relationship questions that he brings up in so many of his movies (yet this time, with spot on execution by a cast of actors one would kill to pull together with such chemistry at this point in time).

I haven't seen Match Point yet though, so I'm willing to keep an open mind that there's still hope . . . seems almost too sexy to be a true Allen movie, though. Am I wrong? Regardless, I'm sure it's magnificently done considering the widespread appraise.

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby bluebottle on Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:06 pm

Sorry, KC, i thought the thread looked familiar... I thought i was just having a case of deja vu.

I'm a bad mod.

:(
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:09 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Sorry, KC, i thought the thread looked familiar... I thought i was just having a case of deja vu.

I'm a bad mod.

:(

Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:11 pm

Match Point is a MUST see. A MUST!!

EDIT: IPAMPILASH, keepcool.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby jgraphix on Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:12 pm

Yeah..it was a great flick...totally surprised me.
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby bluebottle on Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:14 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:Image

why is his left hand cupping under his chest?

it's like he's anticipating milk to squirt out.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby jgraphix on Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:15 pm

IPAMPDAPOY-coining new phrase
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:25 pm

Bluebottle wrote:
keepcoolbutcare wrote:

why is his left hand cupping under his chest?

it's like he's anticipating milk to squirt out.

rotfl..."literally".
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:28 pm

Another really interesting thing about that image is that contrary to the normal reaction of someone receiving the dreaded purple nurple, this dude is holding his shirt UP for maximal purple nurpling effects.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby bluebottle on Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:32 pm

hAHAHAH, yeah, that dude WANTS it.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:34 pm

I got to go with Purple Rose Of Cairo, I saw this film for the first time when I was about 9 and I thought it was literally amazing, one of the first times I came across the blurring of reality and fiction especially in such an overt way, admittedly a fair bit went over my head, but when I watched it for the second time (I was about 19) I remembered why it had enthralled me so much to begin with, put simply: Cinema is magic, pure magic and of course Allen knows this.

Then I'll have to say Love and Death for similar reasons to Blue, very very funny but the whole existential angst thing is developing along at a roaring pace. I love the epic feel he manges to pull out of nowhere too.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Cbabbitt on Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:45 pm

Keepcool,

Sorry for repeating your topic. Whoops.
Cbabbitt
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Dark Knight on Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:15 am

I really liked Small Time Crooks for some odd reason, I know it's not his best but it's still a good time. As for my favorite, Match Point seems to be creeping up there
El Wray will find the missing reel, just watch...
Dark Knight
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby magicmonkey on Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:17 am

Its gotta be "Manhattan" for me. Come on, its got Gershwin and blue borders. A film that draws attension to itself like no other. As a symphonic experiment alone it rocks my world.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:35 am

A three-way tie between 'Manhattan', 'Bullets Over Broadway' and the much misunderstood 'Stardust Memories.'
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:09 pm

I like his earlier, funny movies.

Well, I do. I happen to think the worst thing that ever happened to Woody Allen was critical success. He hasn't made a good movie in about ten years (well, okay, "Sweet and Lowdown" was all right but nothing special)...and it's been a loooooooong decade listening to Woody fans whine and defend him as he shows his comedic skills have shot right down the toilet.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Next

Return to Director Discussion