Round 3: Talented music directors turned movie directors

Which director made the best films, made the best visuals, or smelled the best? This is the forum to find out.

Who's better?

Spike Jonze
41%
David Fincher
41%
Michel Gondry
18%

Total votes : 22

Round 3: Talented music directors turned movie directors

Postby PVIII on Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:55 am

I put three to shake it up a bit. WWF Macho Man Randy Savage style.

PVIII
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:11 am

Those there are some tough choices... I'll go for David Fincher because I think he's a better director, but Spike Jonze and Michel Gondry have had better material to work with, overall...
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby PVIII on Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:23 am

I too went for Fincher, but I think Gondry has the most potential. Eternal Sunshine was sublime. My favorite movie of last year, hands down.

PVIII
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby John-Locke on Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:51 am

I had to go for Jonze, the man is a genius and has a sweet sense of humour, Gondry may be technically more astute and Eternal Sunshine is IMHO the best film made by any of the three but a lot of that was in the script. Jonze I like more because of his persona, have you seen the interview with him on the Being John Malkovich DVD? he's driving around LA in his flashy car giving a really nervous performance to camera when suddenly he pulls over, opens the door and spews out the side. The interview ends before it starts, classic. That and the man came up with Sabotage, which is maybe my favourite Music Video of all time. Fincher is great and I enjoy most of his film immensely however his films (other than Fight Club) aren't as deep as the other two guys and that’s my personal preference.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Mr. Jonze and me...

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:13 am

Methinks Spike sometimes gets a short shrift due to his rather restrained directorial style, but how else can you film the lunacy of the Kaufman? Tough call here, tough call.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:37 pm

I gotta vote a the Jonze... best scene? Inna the John Malkovitch a movie, when a the monkey, he have a the flashback to a the jungle when a his parents got a captured anna he could not a untie the knots... but then he a save a the day for Cammie Diaz! Oooh I love a the monkey.
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Man-in-the-Box on Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:48 pm

These choices are getting tougher and tougher, If this keeps up, I'll have to knock the dust off the trusty old Magic 8-Ball.
I'm not with Cowbell, he's with me.
Man-in-the-Box
AIRWOLF

Postby Man-in-the-Box on Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:53 pm

Oh yeah, by the way, I went with Jonze. I just love those old funny songs on Dr. Demento. Actually Malkovich is brilliant. Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich, hell, you get the point.
I'm not with Cowbell, he's with me.
Man-in-the-Box
AIRWOLF

Postby PVIII on Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:58 pm

Man-in-the-Box wrote:These choices are getting tougher and tougher, If this keeps up, I'll have to knock the dust off the trusty old Magic 8-Ball.

I'm thinking El Spielbergo Vs. Lucas for the next one. That'll really have people bumping heads...

ohhh or Kubrick Vs. Hitchcock. This could be good.

PVIII
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER

Had to go with Spike

Postby Pissed-Off Crawdad on Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:06 pm

I ended up choosing Spike Jonze, because while Gondry made the best Kaufman film (Eternal Sunshine), he also made Human Nature, which was the worst. Jonze, on the other hand, made Being John Malcovich and Adaptation, both of which were great. And Fincher's good, too, but I guess I was in a Kaufman kind of mood when I made my choice.
Pissed-Off Crawdad
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby PVIII on Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:08 am

Winner: Spike Jonze. Previous winners: Paul W S Anderson, Francis Lawrence.

Next up: fucked up directors face off!

PVIII
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:00 am

Being John Malkovitch is one of my favorite films of the past 10 years. I also really like Se7en and The Game by Fincher. Michel Gondry's Eternal Sunshine was an interesting movie.

I think Jonze's music videos are better than Finchers and Gondrys, but for theatrical films, I think Fincher is prob the best out of the three.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:03 am

Now it's a two way tie. Face off.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:50 pm

GUYS GUYS GUYS, What about Jonathan Glazer, ok so he wouldn' have one the poll but he should have least been an option. Birth and Sexy Beast are very very well crafted films.

I went for Gondry overall because he uses practical affects instead of cgi, I'm not a purist or anything but, the idea to film the scene in "Eternal" where Kate Winslet is popping up all over the apartment, in one take by using hidden doors and paasgeways for her to get around was honest to goodness genius.

Was anyone else terrified and disturbed by the end of Being John Malkovich? That creeped me out for weeks.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby PVIII on Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:11 pm

Smack. It's all tied up. It's a walkoff people! It's a walkoff.

PVIII
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:14 pm

Was I the only one on the face of the planet who liked Torque? I mean, yeah, the movie's shit, but the visual style was incredible. Joseph Kahn, of Enrique Iglesias's "Hero" and Destiny's Child's "Say My Name" fame really delivered the goods. No substance, sure, but the guys got a set of eyes on him.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:18 pm

Torque was terrible. I had it TiVo'd and the movie was about to end and I got up to go and meet a friend for a drink. So the DELETE ME NOW feature pops up and I instinctively said yes and deleted it before watching the end. I don't even care that I missed the end. I wish I had missed the beginning too.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby PVIII on Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:20 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Was I the only one on the face of the planet who liked Torque? I mean, yeah, the movie's shit, but the visual style was incredible. Joseph Kahn, of Enrique Iglesias's "Hero" and Destiny's Child's "Say My Name" fame really delivered the goods. No substance, sure, but the guys got a set of eyes on him.
Though I don't agree in the slightest, I won't judge. And that's what's great about the Phantom Zone.

PVIII
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:28 pm

Again, Torque is a pretty shit movie, but it's got style in spades. And I don't give that excuse for many films. It really has to have style coming out its ass for me to justify watching crap and Torque does.

It's gratuitous and it's shallow, sure, but I enjoyed that movie ten times more than any other shitass Fast and the Furious or XXX because if a movie's going to be dumb as hell from the get-go, embrace your dumbness and go with it!!

Joseph Kahn is a glorified cinematograpger, sure. The guy doesn't really know how to tell a story, but he sure as hell knows how to frame a shot, move a camera and blow shit up real good. He's a lightweight Michael Bay, but sometimes that's even fun to watch.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby PVIII on Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:34 pm

Well, what you call style I call a high filter and some stolen David Fincher shots, but yes, video director's are very MTV "stylized," which comes off as slick and pretty, I agree.

Someone needs to break this thing so I can start a new one.

PVIII
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby PVIII on Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:55 am

Ok, I'm declaring this a tie, and moving on to the next round.

WINNERS: David Fincher, Spike Jonze.

PVIII
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:15 am

Man-in-the-Box wrote:Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich, hell, you get the point.

Malkovich!

What can you say about the director? He works with Charlie Kaufman. He directed "It's Oh So Quiet." And he made "Sabotage," the single greatest episode of "Starsky and Hutch."

The only thing I've ever disliked about Spike Jonze is his name. I just don't get these rock people and their crazy names!

Shouldn't Tarsem be on this list? Or is it only for video directors who have made good movies? Because "The Cell" was awful.
Last edited by DennisMM on Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby PVIII on Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:17 am

Fuck, well now the tie is broken. I keep forgetting to put a day limit on these things.

PVIII
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:41 pm

PVIII wrote:Fuck, well now the tie is broken. I keep forgetting to put a day limit on these things.

PVIII

In PeeWee Herman (Cheech and Chong mode) voice:

I'M SORRY!

Truly, I am. II get here late, and I don't see a limit, so I assume the tie remains to be broken.

The tie remains a tie, okay?

sorry
<whimper>
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby PVIII on Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:41 pm

Dennis, I wasn't pissed at you, it's all good. Vote for which spanish dude you like now. There's a tie over there too.

PVIII
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby evolvingsensblty on Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:50 pm

I have to go with Spike too. Fincher and Gondry have had a few mis-steps. I look forward to new films from all three, but I have enjoyed Spike's movies the most. Fincher seems to have slowed down. It's been awhile since Panic Room.
evolvingsensblty
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby PVIII on Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:53 pm

Yeah, and Panic Room was nothing great. BTW, I'm planning on getting a Michael Bay, Rob Coen, Renny Harlin, poll going tomorrow, so watch out.

PVIII
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:06 pm

Hmm...if I had to vote for one of the three as a favourite it'd definitely be Fincher.

Michel Gondry, I think, needs someone to write for him...someone to give him a proper structure to base his ideas around. However, he really does have a unique visual style.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:11 pm

FG, if you keep bumping old threads, I'm just gonna bump others to spite and bury you.

I'm going for Finch. I think Spike Jonze is a gentleman. So is Gondry a bit.

"Ohhh look at them, they're so cool and differen't!"

No they're not. They're W*nkers!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:13 pm

Hey at least they're movie-related topics...
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:16 pm

Stop trying to disagree with me on things that I never said and Master Debate me to pieces man. This thread is music related anyway and should be LOCKED AND BURNED AT THE STAKE!!!!

You'll never steal my Fave Mod Zonie with what you're doing, FG!! ! NEVERRRR!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:21 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Hey at least they're movie-related topics...

Just thought they might be decent topics to stir up some movie discussion. (it also de-bumps the werewolf/globalwarming/sports/imgoingactuallyimnot goingimback/werewolf threads.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:29 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:Hey at least they're movie-related topics...

Just thought they might be decent topics to stir up some movie discussion. (it also de-bumps the werewolf/globalwarming/sports/imgoingactuallyimnot goingimback/werewolf threads.

You're such a miserable gentleman, man. You're nothing but a negative vibe to this place. I bet all the Mods told you to bump your threads too, eh?!

I WAS gonna do the same thing, Mods. I was. I really was.

Actually just to spite you as you're so argumentative, I'm gonna start playing the Werewolf Game.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:35 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Actually just to spite you as you're so argumentative, I'm gonna start playing the Werewolf Game.

Play the Werewolf Game? That's just crazy talk.

Besides, how would that spite me?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:36 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Actually just to spite you as you're so argumentative, I'm gonna start playing the Werewolf Game.

Play the Werewolf Game? That's just crazy talk.

Besides, how would that spite me?

Oh mate, don't answer a question with a question. That's the worst thing a master debator can do? I ain't falling for it.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:49 pm

Actually Kirk, not that I read all of your crazy rambling, but I think FG's doing a cool thing bumping some of these oldies... :)
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:51 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Actually Kirk, not that I read all of your crazy rambling, but I think FG's doing a cool thing bumping some of these oldies... :)

Only 'cos you told him to. You really think I think that FG can do my job better than me? Again, as I was saying, I WAS gonna do it myself. But I've had a bad case of the Bats this week, so I've been off my normal 'I'm the best movie expert EVAAHH' mode this week.

As if FG is that smart, Winslow Please! Image
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:53 pm

i think with all this quality thread-bumping FG may have pulled past Kirk in the Favorite Mod Wannabe contest

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Vegeta on Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:03 pm

Jonze and Gondry are so similar IMO...

The choices are like:

Jonze/Gondry
Jonze/Gondry
David Fincher
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby minstrel on Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:23 pm

Well, Michel Gondry can be rearranged to spell "Dig more Lynch", so he's not original.

David Fincher can be rearranged to spell "Hind-fed Vicar", so clearly he's out of the running. And The Vicar is offended.

But Spike Jonze can be rearranged to spell "I zonk jeeps", so he clearly is the winner.

:wink:
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Vegeta on Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:08 pm

Hind-fed Vicar... IPAMPILASH!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby DaleTremont on Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:37 am

PVIII wrote:Yeah, and Panic Room was nothing great. BTW, I'm planning on getting a Michael Bay, Rob Coen, Renny Harlin, poll going tomorrow, so watch out.

PVIII

okay okay but when you talk about david fincher, you shouldn't talk about panic room. you should talk about seven, zodiac, and the gloriousness that is FIGHT CLUB. [sorry for the caps i got excited.] people give fincher shit about only being a brilliant visual director but think about the narrative perfection of fight club. especially when you go back and watch how he filmed edward norton's character interacting with tyler durden. the clues were always there, which is why the twist worked so well. it takes a pretty wily filmmaker to pull that off gracefully. not to mention the fact that he's quite simply the master of atmosphere- take a look at the scene in zodiac when jake gyllenhal is in the scary film collector's basement. makes your skin crawl.

fincher wins.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:53 am

Spike Jonze in my exposure to him was always overrated. "Look at this video, look at THAT video which aren't that impressive to Kirk, man he wears glasses and hangs out with the likes of Clooney and is so cool, and now he does these quirky movies which are great mostly 'cos of the script and are low budget and are relatively easy and straightforward to make, but overall 'MAN!!!' he is soooo like, weird and orginal. HE'S THE BEST FILM DIRECTOR - EVAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!! Even though he's made, what, like ONE!??!"

Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Re: David Fincher

Postby TheButcher on Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:46 pm

From io9:
David Fincher reveals the operatic title sequence for his Spider-Man movie that never was
Meredith Woerner wrote:David Fincher is bringing your favorite Swedish hacker girl Lisbeth Salander to life in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo — but he almost tackled Spider-Man instead. In our exclusive interview, the director told us how he would have handled the web-slinger... and walked us through his operatic title sequence in great detail.

Last January, Fincher was one of the names tossed around to reboot the Spider-Man movies, before Marc Webb took the job. Sadly he never took the gig — but here's what he told us about his plans:

My impression what Spider-Man could be is very different from what Sam [Raimi] did or what Sam wanted to do. I think the reason he directed that movie was because he wanted to do the Marvel comic superhero. I was never interested in the genesis story. I couldn't get past a guy getting bit by a red and blue spider. It was just a problem… It was not something that I felt I could do straight-faced. I wanted to start with Gwen Stacy and the Green Goblin, and I wanted to kill Gwen Stacy.

The title sequence of the movie that I was going to do was going to be a ten minute — basically a music video, an opera, which was going to be the one shot that took you through the entire Peter Parker [backstory]. Bit by a radio active spider, the death of Uncle Ben, the loss of Mary Jane, and [then the movie] was going to begin with Peter meeting Gwen Stacy. It was a very different thing, it wasn't the teenager story. It was much more of the guy who's settled into being a freak.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:25 am

From First Showing:
Exclusive: Fincher Explains Reasons Why He Made Each of His Films
Alex Billington wrote:Time for a Fincher recap. In my recent interview with David Fincher, the first question I asked was: "what are the defining factors that help you decide what project you're going to take?" It was a primer for figuring out what made him so interested in a Girl with the Dragon Tattoo remake, but before we even got to that, he took about 10 minutes to explain his interest in most of the films he has made, starting with Alien 3 and mentioning Zodiac and The Game. I pulled quotes for each film as well as updates from other films that he didn't mention for a complete look at why Fincher directed the 9 movies he has over his career. Read on!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:05 pm

David Fincher - And the Other Way is Wrong
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Round 3: Talented music directors turned movie directors

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:02 pm

Film School Rejects:
Get to know new Spider-Man director Jon Watts through his music videos and movies
Scott Beggs wrote:It seems like Marvel and Sony have plucked Watts off a street corner in Millberry, Ohio and asked if he wants to helm their latest run at global franchise dominance, but his non-feature resume is lengthy, and the 47 videos he has on his personal Vimeo page paint the picture of a modestly accomplished filmmaker with a twisted sense of humor, a heart for horror and a hinted at talent for action.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Director Discussion