Favorite David Lynch Movie

Which director made the best films, made the best visuals, or smelled the best? This is the forum to find out.

Best Lynch Movie

EraserHead
2%
Elephant Man
12%
Dune
14%
Blue Velvet
14%
Twin Peaks feature Length Pilot Episode
7%
Wild at Heart
11%
Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me
1%
Lost Highway
10%
The Straight Story
5%
Mullholland Drive
23%

Total votes : 83

Favorite David Lynch Movie

Postby John-Locke on Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:12 am

I love me some Lynch I do

Whats currently your favourite of his movies and WHY?

What of his non feature length stuff have you liked?

Discuss
Last edited by John-Locke on Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby PVIII on Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:35 am

I put Mulholland drive, just because the lesbian scene put it over the top (and the freaky bum behind the fast food joint). But Fire Walk With Me is a sweet, sweet movie. Man does Bob creep me out.

PVIII
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:39 am

Here I go again!

It's a tough decision to make, and I certainly think that the Twin Peaks pilot is pretty much the best pilot of all time

However, I've gone for Mulholland Drive, simply because it's the closest I think a film has ever come to getting the multilayered depth which can be achieved in a novel.

By that, I mean that at the end of your first viewing of Mulholland, the viewer really has to think for him- or herself. Everyone can have a slightly different interpretation of it, but still enjoy it.

Another weird thing about MD is that I find these days that I can put the DVD in, and watch even a single scene from that film, any scene, then take the DVD back out, and be happy with what I've seen. I think you can watch the scenes in almost any order you choose, and still find it a satisfying experience. And you can't say that about many films
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby PVIII on Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:44 am

^It's also great viewed as a satire.

PVIII
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:02 pm

The Dino? Onna the record, he like a the Dune. Offa the record, I like a the Wild atta the Heart. When a the gang a street toughs walks uppa to the Nicky Cage anna he says "whaddyou stick want?" anna then they beat a the crappa outta him? Anna then he says later "I wanna apologize for a referring to alla you gentlemen as a the homosexshuls?" BWAHAHAHA! Dino love a that flick.
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby WinslowLeach on Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:05 pm

I chose Blue Velvet because it was the first Lynch film I ever saw and I found it very easy to watch. It has that twisted Lynch style his die hard fans love AND its also a really cool crime film with great characters esp Dennis Hopper as Frank Booth!

I like Eraserhead, Dune, and I loved The Straight Story. His other films like Wild At Heart, Lost Highway, etc. I found myself really disliking, and yes, I tried several times to watch them with an open mind. I just cant get into them.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:18 pm

Dino, every day I love you more and more
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Man-in-the-Box on Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:25 pm

Blue Velvet, it's a time in my life kinda thing.
I'm not with Cowbell, he's with me.
Man-in-the-Box
AIRWOLF

"Rockin good news"

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:36 pm

"Wild at Heart". I was all of 16 and suddenly realized that movies could be art as well as entertainment.

"My dog barks some. Mentally you picture my dog, but I have not told you the type of dog which I have. Perhaps you even picture Toto, from "The Wizard of Oz." But I warn you, my dog is always with me. WOOF!"

I've always wanted a girl to ask me to take a bite of peach.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:28 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:The Dino? Onna the record, he like a the Dune. Offa the record, I like a the Wild atta the Heart. When a the gang a street toughs walks uppa to the Nicky Cage anna he says "whaddyou stick want?" anna then they beat a the crappa outta him? Anna then he says later "I wanna apologize for a referring to alla you gentlemen as a the homosexshuls?" BWAHAHAHA! Dino love a that flick.

That is the ONE piece of that movie I really like, apart from Cage repeatedly explaining that his snakeskin jacket is a symbol of his individuality and freedom.

And the phony broken nose on Cage is just artificial enough that when the Blue Fairy (or was it Glinda the Good Witch?) shows up, you're not freaked out.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby DennisMM on Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:30 pm

"Blue Velvet" remains my favorite after all these years, because it was the first time I ever saw a mainstream movie take those kinds of chances with the audience. Just what sort of movie were we watching? I thought it was a mystery!

I also like the feature version of "Dune" instead of that hacked-up, stretched-out, badly narrated thing that constantly shows up on SciFi. They didn't even lay out the cash to hire a decent artist to paint the pictures under the opening narration. The feature version doesn't have a whole lot to do with the book, but it tries.

"Mulholland Drive" I could not abide. Many speak of the subtext and sybolism in the last scenes. I thought it looked like Lynch wanted to salvage the TV pilot and figured he'd throw in something arty. Perhaps I'm not in tune with what's going on. Honestly.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby evolvingsensblty on Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:31 pm

DennisMM wrote:
DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:The Dino? Onna the record, he like a the Dune. Offa the record, I like a the Wild atta the Heart. When a the gang a street toughs walks uppa to the Nicky Cage anna he says "whaddyou stick want?" anna then they beat a the crappa outta him? Anna then he says later "I wanna apologize for a referring to alla you gentlemen as a the homosexshuls?" BWAHAHAHA! Dino love a that flick.

That is the ONE piece of that movie I really like, apart from Cage repeatedly explaining that his snakeskin jacket is a symbol of his individuality and freedom.

What about the scene when Crispin Glover is "making his lunch"? The first time I saw that, I missed the next 2-3 minutes of the movie because I was laughing so hard.
evolvingsensblty
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:28 am

Elephant Man is Lynch's most coherent and wrenching film (well, of the ones I've seen, which are most, but not all)
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Agent Alonzo on Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:30 am

Elephant Man is an amazing movie, but I also have soft spots for both Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart.
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby PVIII on Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:59 am

There's an amazing DVD of Elephant man available only through Davidlynch.com. It really is a great film.

PVIII
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Man-in-the-Box on Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:34 pm

I'm ashamed to say, I've never seen The Elephant Man. I'll get around to it, I swear.

PVIII, I see that you've got your assistant back on the couch. Ican't decide which of your avatars I like better.

Don't just stare at it...Eat it.
Man-in-the-Box
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:38 pm

Yah, Crispy Glover makin' a his a lunch, that was a the good one... Dino, he forgot about that until a just a now!
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:47 pm

I'm going with "Wild At Heart" as well.

When that movie first came out, I recommended it to all sorts of friends and family. Needless to say, friends and family don't ask me for recommendations anymore.

Fire Walk With me pulls in at a close second. The scene with the girls at One-Eyed-Jacks is about as strange as it gets.
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby PVIII on Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:15 pm

Man-in-the-Box wrote:I'm ashamed to say, I've never seen The Elephant Man. I'll get around to it, I swear.

PVIII, I see that you've got your assistant back on the couch. Ican't decide which of your avatars I like better.

Don't just stare at it...Eat it.
Yeah, I'm playing around a bunch. I liked the Xenu one too...so hard to choose.

PVIII
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:36 pm

Ok, I went with Lost Highway, I like all Lynch's films, wait I love all Lynch's films even Dune (props to the Dino)

But for some reason Lost Highway just knocks it out of the park (boy I'm speanding too much time in the American forum) for me.
Can't really put my finger on it. It's pretty incomprehensible but the atmosphere, oh the atmosphere, Robert Blake, Bill Pullman, Patricia Arquette naked, the best Marilyn Manson cover ever (put a spell on you), Balthazar Getty. Ahh all of it just does stuff to me, hot dirty things to me.

After that I'm going with Blue Velvet.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:51 pm

I actually really like the much maligned "Dune". Elephant Man is amazing. Blue Velvet is a classic. But I've got to give my vote to the Twin Peaks pilot, it sucked me in to the show for 3 years, even the really, really bad year after Lynch left. Best pilot in history.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby John-Locke on Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:02 pm

Finally some more love for Lost Highway, definitely my favourite, Every time I see it, I have a new level of understanding for it, there are multiple ways of reading it if you so wish. It manages to create an extraordinarily disturbing and nightmare like mood. I mean, that bit when Patricia Arquettes’ face turns to Robert Blakes is directly from a friggin nightmare for Christ sake, That bit with the cell phone is worse than any nightmare I’ve ever had but Lynch still manages to make me feel like it’s my dream. Another example is when Gary Busey and wife refuse to tell Balthazar Getty what happened to him the night before, and you get the flash back to what they saw only it ends before it ends if you know what I mean? It’s all about the tone of this film for me, which I find to be remarkably similar to my own dreams/nightmares, It manages to remind you of what it feels like to be dreaming whilst being awake, something normally only familiar whilst actually dreaming.

Does any of that make any sense to you guys, Honestly I confused myself. Hopefully you get the gist.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby cockknocker on Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:23 pm

Ive only seen Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet and The Elephant Man and a little of Eraserhead. I like them all but the Elephant takes it for me, just an amazing film, my sister saw it and I think it had quite an impact on her and I know she would hate BV and MD.

Blue Velvet gave me a real weird feeling throughout and till the end, its just so odd, especcially the dead guy standing frozen. It was a really affecting atmosphere i think, like John was saying about Lost Highway, I must check that out, if only for Patricia...
Last edited by cockknocker on Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Around dawn in Edinburgh is a really good time to see the castle wandering around, having a wank. "
cockknocker
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:56 pm

John Locké I'm with you all the way on this one. Superb atmosphere, terrifying and truly dreamlike/nightmarish. I was 15 when I watched at 1 in the morning I was still leaving with my folks, they were away for the week and I had a huge house all to myself. I didn't sleep at all that night.
Call me a masochist but that's the mark of a great film to me.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby John-Locke on Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:04 pm

To a certain extent Mullholland Drive is Lynch Perfecting his nightmare style, however I made sense of it the first time which for me means that maybe he over simplified it to a degree. I still love it and it does brilliantly manage to create a similar atmosphere but in my book the original is usually better despite it flaws.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby so sorry on Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:13 pm

Dune for me. I was WAY into scifi/fantasy at the time that came out, and i remember reading that fucking book and not understanding a thing. Elephant Man is a powerful movie.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Lynch's plan for world peace...

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:10 pm

Transcendental meditation? Stick with the fucked up films my man...

http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,12589,1533146,00.html

Though if he gave me a cut of the 7 billion I would promise to stop hating people. Well, maybe hate a little less. Um, on third thought...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:20 pm

Interesting story, I can't imagine he's going to change the world but even if only a few people benefit from the programme, it's still nice to see someone wanting to do good not bad in the world. Lynch is da man.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:46 am

It's a toss-up between The Elephant Man and Lost Highway for me. I loves 'em all though. I did a research paper on Lynch in high school and, though I liked it before, I have much more respect for Dune knowing how much he had to deal with while making it. To think he turned down Return of The Jedi to make Dune. I so hope they were able to make the deal for Lynch's participation in the super duper Dune DVD. I just wish he gave a shit about his films on video.

"Are you talking about that little girl that got killed?"
"Do you know anything about it, sir?"
"I don't know shit from Shynola."
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:33 am

Nice quotation Tyrone - that's one of my favourite bits in Fire Walk with Me!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:05 am

I still love Dune to this day, even it doesn't hold up as well, the more movies I see. I still haven't gotten around to Mullholland Drive yet, even though it's been recommended.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby John-Locke on Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:40 am

To coincide with the brilliant David Lynch “Consciousness, Creativity and the Brain" video I found I thought I would do a shameless bump of this thread if only to get some more votes on the poll.

BUMP
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:52 am

Anyone who lives in Chicago, the Musicbox Theatre is showing David Lynch movies all this month (actually it might even be all spring). It should be an awesome time! (I mean a David Lynch movie up on the big screen again, come on.)
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby cinephile2000 on Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:55 am

Wild at Heart is my favorite movie of his. Its got the plot you can follow easily with the crazy shit in there too. One of my favorite scenes ever is in this movie. The one where Bobby Peru comes to take a leak. The best build up of tension in one scene EVER. Just made me go ape shit the first time I saw it.
Just remember, your special like everyone else.
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Seppuku on Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:01 am

I think I'd say Eraserhead, mostly because of the fact that it feels almost like it's got a different gravity; like it was filmed on an alternate Earth where something's changed that you can't quite put your finger on- something's off-kilter. Like a lot of Lynch's movies it's a subliminal mood-piece, you come out in a completely different state than you were when you went in. One minor quibble: it should really have been called Lugwormhead, because that thing sure as hell ain't an eraser.

Also The Straight Story is a movie of his I love as well. Richard Farnsworth put in a heartwarming performance, and it's just a change of pace from most movies released nowadays, it's not about battles waged in the star constellation Ceylon Daffon by two rival alien clans, it's just a touching story told by one of the great directors.
Last edited by Seppuku on Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby John-Locke on Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:08 am

I found out the other day that you Yanks don't get to see Willem Dafoe blowing his head off with the shotgun, it's obscured by a flash of fire which hides the gore and stopped the film from getting an X certificate.

I also found out that Harry Dean Stantons death was immensly more gory and disturbing in an early cut that Lynch showed friends, they were so disturbed he cut it all so everything was implied. With the head cracked on the marble, the car crash victim and Dafoe's demise it may have beeen the most violent film of it's time if he didn't make the cuts.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby buster00 on Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:17 am

Lost Highway is one of the most disturbing films I've ever seen. By any director.

I don't know how we didn't see the Robert Blake thing coming. Seriously. All the clues were RIGHT THERE in Lost Highway.

True story -- when my friends and I were driving back from seeing Lost Highway, the guy driving accidentally ran over a dog. It was a bad trip.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:10 am

Blue Velvet is not only his best film, but it is also on my top ten greatest films ever made.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Cabiria on Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:23 am

Pretty much, if it says Lynch on it, I'm there in the theatre the night it opens. So, I'm not the most objective judge of his work.

I voted for The Elephant Man because I love what it has to say. For me, the best bio-pics take the specificity of the subject and make it applicable to us all. And ya can't get more specified than a man with a rare debilitating disease in Victorian era England. But for me the film is less about Merrick than about what we do to those who are different among us, and how we all must come to terms with our own place in the world. I love Lynch's nightmare visions of Mulholland Dr. and Lost Highway, but The Elephant Man gets to me in a much deeper way.

And I'm glad to see my obsession with Twin Peaks is shared by several on this board. Hell, I had a pair of saddle shoes because of that show. :roll:

I still have them in a closet somewhere... :oops:
Cabiria
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby JabberJaw on Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:13 am

I went with the elephant man. That is such a great movie.
ImageImage
JabberJaw
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:16 am

It's really hard for me to choose my favorite Lynch film, but for now I'll say MULHOLLAND DRIVE. As to why, I'd have to say Naomi Watts, beautifully horrifying imagery, hot lesbian scene, revenge, self-loathing, and the usual Lynchian schizophrenic emotional breakdown doppleganger stuff...

the only Lynch film I didn't like (at first) was FIRE WALK WITH ME. Now, I was a huge TWIN PEAKS fan; at least of the first two seasons which, to me, represents perhaps the greatest tv ever (next to THE PRISONER); but FIRE came too late, and, wtf, NO AUDREY?!?! Inexplicable cast changes?! WTF?! Now, however, with distance, I love it. I especially love the music at the dark club where Laura gets all dirty and has a freak out.

Oh yeah, btw, I think I dated Laura Palmer -- the girl who acts sweet and innocent on the surface, but is a rampaging whore with severe emotional trauma underneath that drags you furhter and further down the spiral of her madness until you look around and can barely distinguish where you end and she begins...

I'm assuming that most of us here have been there at one time or another...

eventually you wake up and get healthy / smart though... or not...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby StarWarsRedux on Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:10 pm

Mulholland Dr.

Because the first girl I fell in love with, kissed and nearly went out with dumped me for a girl after leading me on for four goddamn years, and thinking about the fates of the lovers in this film gives me a warm, vengeful feeling in my heart.

Still, too bad it didn't become a series. If only he'd pitched it to the ABC of today...
StarWarsRedux
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Peven on Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:32 pm

John-Locke wrote:I found out the other day that you Yanks don't get to see Willem Dafoe blowing his head off with the shotgun, it's obscured by a flash of fire which hides the gore and stopped the film from getting an X certificate.

I also found out that Grande Rojo Dean Stantons death was immensly more gory and disturbing in an early cut that Lynch showed friends, they were so disturbed he cut it all so everything was implied. With the head cracked on the marble, the car crash victim and Dafoe's demise it may have beeen the most violent film of it's time if he didn't make the cuts.

not sure where you heard that, mr Locke, but back in '91 a friend of mine rented it and the memory of seeing Defoe's head being blown to bits when he falls on the shotgun is imprinted on my brain. (btw, Wild at Heart is my pick for fav Lynch film) now, maybe since then they have altered that scene due to the Tipper Gore's and Bob Dole's, much like the thought police bullied producers to change the scene at the end of the original cut of "True Romance", where Alabama is the one to shoot Chris Penn's cop character, and was altered so that it apears one of the mobsters shoots Penn.

back to Wild at Heart, the friend of mine i watched it with called his girlfriend "peanut" for months after that and it drove her crazy. i think it may have been one of the reasons she dumped him. :lol:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby John-Locke on Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:51 pm

I read it a few weeks back whilst surfing the Empire Online David Lynch thread, the guy seemed pretty sure of himself, they are a strange lot over there and I haven't been back since. He didn't say that his head wasn't blown off just that you get a flash of fire which obscures it more than the UK version.

Whatever :)
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Brocktune on Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:39 pm

i picked the elephant man, because it is truly a triumph. rarely am i so gripped and moved to the point that i would weep, if i hadnt of had my tear ducts surgically removed. but i love all of lynch's flicks that i have seen. i totally gotta agree with dino and evolvingsensibility about wild at heart. i was in 8th or 9th grade when i saw it i think. it was the first of his movies that id seen. and i had never seen anything like it. it was such a creepy dirty flick yet it drew me in nonetheless. many of the images in that film have been imprinted in my memory as well. dafoe's suicide, dafoe's sexual assaulting of laura dern in their motel room, cage demolishing that dude's skull like a hard boiled egg, and of course, take a bite of peach. in a way i think wild at heart was sort of a turning point for me as well. like it was really kind of the beginning of me trying to seek out artsy-er flicks, than the standard hollywood crappe du jour. but nonetheless, i still picked the elephant man. for while it may not have been as pivotal a film in my developement, if any of lynch's films were to be described as a masterpiece, well i think TEM would be the front runner.

btw jl, that new av is totally gross and awesome!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:43 pm

Brocktune wrote:i picked the elephant man, because it is truly a triumph. rarely am i so gripped and moved to the point that i would weep, if i hadnt of had my tear ducts surgically removed. but i love all of lynch's flicks that i have seen. i totally gotta agree with dino and evolvingsensibility about wild at heart. i was in 8th or 9th grade when i saw it i think. it was the first of his movies that id seen. and i had never seen anything like it. it was such a creepy dirty flick yet it Grande Rojo's favorite person me in nonetheless. many of the images in that film have been imprinted in my memory as well. dafoe's suicide, dafoe's sexual assaulting of laura dern in their motel room, cage demolishing that dude's skull like a hard boiled egg, and of course, take a bite of peach. in a way i think wild at heart was sort of a turning point for me as well. like it was really kind of the beginning of me trying to seek out artsy-er flicks, than the standard hollywood crappe du jour. but nonetheless, i still picked the elephant man. for while it may not have been as pivotal a film in my developement, if any of lynch's films were to be described as a masterpiece, well i think TEM would be the front runner.

btw jl, that new av is totally gross and awesome!

I love Elephant Man too, but its hard for me to watch. Its just so
crazy depressing. That poor man. Hey, at least the nurse
gave him some love. :cry:

And, yeah, JL, yer new AV totally freaks me out! What the hell is
that from? Its Freakouttastic!!!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:46 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:I love Elephant Man too, but its hard for me to watch. Its just so

that from?

I'm still not able to use my own laptop and download the Scanner Darkly trailer, but apparently that is from whence it derives.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:49 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:
ZombieZoneSol utions wrote:I love Elephant Man too, but its hard for me to watch. Its just so

that from?

I'm still not able to use my own laptop and download the Scanner Darkly trailer, but apparently that is from whence it derives.

Cool! So that's what happens when you do too much Substance D!

(I read the book along time ago. Pretty sure the cosmo-brainkill drug
is called Substance D.)
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:58 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:
Cool! So that's what happens when you do too much Substance D!

(I read the book along time ago. Pretty sure the cosmo-brainkill drug
is called Substance D.)

It's been a while for me too, but as far as I remember that's the exact same chemical, and it's right up there in the fictional drug stakes with Soma and whatever it is poor Dr Jekyll fell prey to.

I wonder what Lynch would have made of that movie...I think if Scanner becomes a hit then the perfect Dick book for him to adapt would be Valis: it's almost as if that book were written for Lynch to adapt. Maybe he'll get a revelation in the middle of a transcendental meditation session to "do Dick". I'm too tired to create it, but that seems like Thread Fodder: "Match made in heaven". Maybe when I've got some down-time.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Brocktune on Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:02 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:I love Elephant Man too, but its hard for me to watch. Its just so

dude, i know.
i have to watch that movie alone. seriously. sometimes, i cant even watch parts of it. im such a sap, but it breaks my fucking heart every single time. who ever would've thought a brooksfilms production could move one to tears.... intentionally i mean, i dont mean like men in tights or dracula dead and loving it. :wink:
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Director Discussion