Favorite David Lynch Movie

Which director made the best films, made the best visuals, or smelled the best? This is the forum to find out.

Best Lynch Movie

EraserHead
2%
Elephant Man
12%
Dune
14%
Blue Velvet
14%
Twin Peaks feature Length Pilot Episode
7%
Wild at Heart
11%
Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me
1%
Lost Highway
10%
The Straight Story
5%
Mullholland Drive
23%

Total votes : 83

Re: Favorite David Lynch Movie

Postby so sorry on Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:31 pm

wonkabar wrote:
so sorry wrote:
wonkabar wrote:

Kinda pointless...

Uh...how so? :?

Sorry. Didn't really give an insight into David Lynch did it? There's a blurb in the beginning about her perception of how he got the Dune project, and then a blurb way at the end about how Lynch seemed overwhelmed with the project, but the bulk of the video is her reminiscing about the other cast mates (mostly of them eating!).

So...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby wonkabar on Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:37 pm

Well, I think it's kinda interesting...being a Dune fan...and I didn't really see any place else to put it

so...sorry
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby so sorry on Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:09 pm

wonkabar wrote:Well, I think it's kinda interesting...being a Dune fan...and I didn't really see any place else to put it

so...sorry

:lol:

I LOVE Dune, so I sat thru that entire thing hoping for some cool tidbits (the still suit bit was cool). But yeah, I guess here is as good as any place to put it.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby wonkabar on Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:28 pm

Cheers. :D
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby papalazeru on Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:19 pm

wonkabar wrote:Well, I think it's kinda interesting...being a Dune fan...and I didn't really see any place else to put it

so...sorry

Personally, I thought it's the best commentary I've seen on a movie.

It feels like, 'Lost in La Mancha', there's a vulverability there which I really enjoy (and chani will always be sexy!!!). Thank you for posting. I would have missed it otherwise.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:21 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:01 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:40 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:51 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:37 am

That was pretty down right awful don'tcha think?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:41 am

looks like something made by a first-year graphic design student in his Computer Graphics 101 course using a Commodore 64.

this isn't his first commercial directing gig though. check out his ad for Pizza Boli's
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:30 pm

10 Kickass Things Mel Brooks Did (Besides His Movies)
3) Produced David Lynch's The Elephant Man

THE ELEPHANT MAN (1980)
Michael Warren wrote:David Lynch first learned and employed several innovative film techniques during the production of Eraserhead (1977) that he would later master in his second feature film The Elephant Man (1980). David Lynch took Hollywood by storm on the release of this film, receiving some of the strongest critical acclaim of his career and enjoying more success at the box office than he would with any of his other films. The Elephant Man is widely considered Lynch's most accessible film for mainstream audiences, and is considered a good starting point for most viewers interested in his work.

Ebert Reviews:
THE ELEPHANT MAN
Roger Ebert wrote:January 1, 1980

The film of The Elephant Man is not based on the successful stage play of the same name, but they both draw their sources from the life of John Merrick, the original "elephant man," whose rare disease imprisoned him in a cruelly misformed body. Both the play and the movie adopt essentially the same point of view, that we are to honor Merrick because of the courage with which he faced his existence.

The Elephant Man forces me to question this position on two grounds: first, on the meaning of Merrick's life, and second, on the ways in which the film employs it. It is conventional to say that Merrick, so hideously misformed that he was exhibited as a sideshow attraction, was courageous. No doubt he was. But there is a distinction here that needs to be drawn, between the courage of a man who chooses to face hardship for a good purpose, and the courage of a man who is simply doing the best he can, under the circumstances.

Wilfrid Sheed, an American novelist who is crippled by polio, once discussed this distinction in a Newsweek essay. He is sick and tired, he wrote, of being praised for his "courage," when he did not choose to contract polio and has little choice but to deal with his handicaps as well as he can. True courage, he suggests, requires a degree of choice. Yet the whole structure of The Elephant Man is based on a life that is said tobe courageous, not because of the hero's achievements, but simply because of the bad trick played on him by fate. In the film and the play (which are similar in many details), John Merrick learns to move in society, to have ladies in to tea, to attend the theater, and to build a scale model of a cathedral. Merrick may have had greater achievements in real life, but the film glosses them over. How, for example, did he learn to speak so well and eloquently? History tells us that the real Merrick's jaw was so misshapen that an operation was necessary just to allow him to talk. In the film, however, after a few snuffles to warm up, he quotes the Twenty-Third Psalm and Romeo and Juliet. This is pure sentimentalism.

The film could have chosen to develop the relationship between Merrick and his medical sponsor, Dr. Frederick Treves, along the lines of the bond between doctor and child in Truffaut's The Wild Child. It could have bluntly dealt with the degree of Merrick's inability to relate to ordinary society, as in Werner Herzog's Kaspar Hauser. Instead, it makes him noble and celebrates his nobility.

I kept asking myself what the film was really trying to say about the human condition as reflected by John Merrick, and I kept drawing blanks. The film's philosophy is this shallow: (1)Wow, the Elephant Man sure looked hideous, and (2)gosh, isn't it wonderful how he kept on in spite of everything? This last is in spite of a real possibility that John Merrick's death at twenty-seven might have been suicide.

The film's technical credits are adequate. John Hurt is very good as Merrick, somehow projecting a humanity past the disfiguring makeup, and Anthony Hopkins is correctly aloof and yet venal as the doctor. The direction, by David (Eraserhead) Lynch, is com-petent, although he gives us an inexcusable opening scene in which Merrick's mother is trampled or scared by elephants or raped_who knows?_and an equally idiotic closing scene in which Merrick becomes the Star Child from 2001, or something.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Director Discussion