Favorite David Lynch Movie

Which director made the best films, made the best visuals, or smelled the best? This is the forum to find out.

Best Lynch Movie

EraserHead
2%
Elephant Man
12%
Dune
14%
Blue Velvet
14%
Twin Peaks feature Length Pilot Episode
7%
Wild at Heart
11%
Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me
1%
Lost Highway
10%
The Straight Story
5%
Mullholland Drive
23%

Total votes : 83

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:34 pm

The Vicar wrote:
Chilli wrote:Blue Velvet. Fucked up to say the least, but very well-made.

Dennis Hopper on the gas is classic shit.

I agree

"mama, baby want to fuck, num num num num". Genius
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby instant_karma on Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:37 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:
The Vicar wrote:

I agree

The fact that Hopper went after the part so hard is kinda scary...
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:38 pm

A candy colored clown they call the sandman
Tiptoes to my room everynight
Just to sprinkle stardust and to whisper
Go to sleep, everything is alright

Great movie...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:40 pm

instant_karma wrote:
Retardo_Montalban wrote:
The Vicar wrote:

I agree

If I was 30 years older, I would have murdered Hopper for the part. MURDERED!
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby instant_karma on Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:47 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:
instant_karma wrote:
Retardo_Montalban wrote:
The Vicar wrote:

I agree

If I was 30 years older, I would have murdered Hopper for the part. MURDERED!

Yeah, but such was his drug fuelled paranoi, that he would have been expecting your attempt, and he'd have killed you. And your situation would probably only get worse after that...
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:46 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:A candy colored clown they call the sandman
Tiptoes to my room everynight
Just to sprinkle stardust and to whisper
Go to sleep, everything is alright

Great movie...

For the longest time I didn't know who sang that song, when one night I put on my Roy Orbison greatest hits CD to listen while I drifted off to sleep. Track 3 and BAM! I'm sitting up holy shitting myself. I was caught completely off-guard, and a bit creeped out.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:53 pm

Yeah I love me some Roy
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby monorail77 on Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:41 am

instant_karma wrote:
Retardo_Montalban wrote:If I was 30 years older, I would have murdered Hopper for the part. MURDERED!

Yeah, but such was his drug fuelled paranoi, that he would have been expecting your attempt, and he'd have killed you. And your situation would probably only get worse after that...

This is my fave quote this year so far - perfect for this thread.

I haven't seen all of the Lych films on the poll (specifically, Wild at Heart, Fire Walk With Me (the only Twin Peaks related item I haven't seen), Eraserhead and The Straight Story.

Of the films I have seen, its such a toss up. Elephant Man is just so different from Blue Velvet, which is again different from Mullholland Drive. If I could, I go three-way tie for those ones. Also, if I could, I'd vote about the first 8 or 9 episodes of Twin Peaks Season 1 as the standout above all.

But Lynch is pretty great. And, after reading this thread, I really gotta rush out and see Wild at Heart. It sounds the shit!
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:36 am

John-Locke wrote:I found out the other day that you Yanks don't get to see Willem Dafoe blowing his head off with the shotgun, it's obscured by a flash of fire which hides the gore and stopped the film from getting an X certificate.

I also found out that Grande Rojo Dean Stantons death was immensly more gory and disturbing in an early cut that Lynch showed friends, they were so disturbed he cut it all so everything was implied. With the head cracked on the marble, the car crash victim and Dafoe's demise it may have beeen the most violent film of it's time if he didn't make the cuts.

The version of the flick that went to Cannes was 10 minutes longer and much more violent. He cut it after the festival to placate the producers and the ratings board. In the scene where Sailor and Lula go see Powerhead Lynch darkened the bit where Lula licks Sailor's crotch while they're dancing. You can still see it but it took me a few viewings to spot it. A few years ago a reissue label (can't remember which one) got the rights to release Wild At Heart and when they went to the vault to get the elements the guy at the door asked, "Which version you want?" When they said they didn't know what he was talking about he explained, "We have the Cannes cut and the theatrical cut. Which one do you want?" They asked for, and got, both and ran. Sadly, the deal to release that DVD fell apart because the company ran out of money or something. After the flick came out I found the book and read it. Would you believe that Lynch gave the movie a happy ending? I've since become a fan of Barry Gifford - who has worked with Lynch a couple times since - and picked up a few of his books, including the sequel to Wild At Heart.

Carolian wrote:On a completely different note, what the hell is "David Lynch's Hotel Room"?! I found it on IMDB while looking for his writing credits...

"Hotel Room" was a feature-length pilot that Lynch did for HBO. It was never picked up for series. It was a set of stories that take place in one hotel room in three different eras. Yes, it was weird. I used to have it on tape but Lord only knows what happened to it. Useless fact: it was the first time Lynch worked with Alicia Witt since Dune.

Great, now I'm really itchin' to watch some Lynch and it's way past my bedtime. There is tomorrow! Maybe if you guys are good - and, um, want it - I can dig out that paper I did in high school. I think I handed it in wearing my "I killed Laura Palmer" t-shirt. Somewhere there is a picture of me eating a piece of cherry pie at the Twin Peaks diner. Damn fine piece of pie.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:53 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Maybe if you guys are good - and, um, want it - I can dig out that paper I did in high school. I think I handed it in wearing my "I killed Laura Palmer" t-shirt. Somewhere there is a picture of me eating a piece of cherry pie at the Twin Peaks diner. Damn fine piece of pie.

DO WANT

You went to Snoqualmie Pass? One day I will go there, but until that day, I will wallow in jealousy.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Eunuch Provocateur on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:05 am

INLAND EMPIRE should be added to this poll.

It's not there, so I voted for Lost Highway. That's some fucked up shit. Mobius Strip action.
There's no Devil, just God when he's drunk. -Tom Waits.
Eunuch Provocateur
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby tapehead on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:48 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Maybe if you guys are good - and, um, want it - I can dig out that paper I did in high school. I think I handed it in wearing my "I killed Laura Palmer" t-shirt. Somewhere there is a picture of me eating a piece of cherry pie at the Twin Peaks diner. Damn fine piece of pie.

DO WANT

You went to Snoqualmie Pass? One day I will go there, but until that day, I will wallow in jealousy.

SECONDED.

Just based the tidbits in your post above, if you post your essay I will read it.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:28 pm

I haven't forgotten, I'm just not sure where the damn thing is right now.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:27 am

At long fucking last! Lost Highway is available! WOO!
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:38 am

I was honestly surprised by how many other people voted for Dune.

I think I have a soft spot for that movie because it was the first David Lynch movie I remember watching. It just has certain images that still stick with me and that's not including the trippy Toto score music.

There are a few films I haven't seen that are listed, and I've got a feeling that Lynch probably doesn't even think Dune is even close to his best film, but it got my vote.
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Re: Favorite David Lynch Movie

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:06 am

I finally found my report. A transcribing I will go!
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:11 am

Awesome!

After making us wait for the best part of a year, if this isn't the best thing I've ever read, I may have to go Bob on your ass...

:wink:

Looking forward to it, man.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:22 am

Just keep in mind that this was written in '91 or '92, before I had mastered the flowery prose I so skillfully execute here on The Zone.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:54 pm

Here it is. I can't remember if this was written in the APA or MLA format but I left off the title page and abstract, otherwise it pretty much looks the same. Spoiler warnings for those that may not have seen the movies discussed. All rights reserved, and all that jazz. Have to love the internet: that's the same strip I included in the original report.

Back in high school I wrote:David Lynch

On January 20, 1946, David Lynch was born to Donald and Sunny Lynch in Missoula, Montana. His father was a forest research scientist for the Department of Agriculture, and his mother was a housewife.

Because of his father's career, Lynch spent most of his adolescence in towns like Missoula and Spokane, Washington. He also lived in Boise, Idaho for a while. In Idaho, Lynch spent his childhood summers hunting rabbits, playing woods, and making bombs. As a result of some of these bombs a friend blew off his foot, and Lynch was arrested. While in his teens, Lynch, his parents, and his brother and sister moved to Alexandria, Virginia.

To become a painter was Lynch's ambition from a very early age, but he did not know he could make a living of it until he met a professional painter named Bushnell Keeler (Moritz 1987). While Lynch was attending Hammond High School in Alexandria, he took courses at the Corcoran School of Art in Washington D.C. After graduation in 1964 he traveled Europe briefly. Planning to stay four years, Lynch returned in ten days after the realization that he "was 7,000 miles from McDonald's" and that he was "an American artist" (Moritz, 1987, p. 375).

While in high school, Lynch read The Art Spirit, a book by painter and educator Robert Henri (Ansen 1990). Wrote Henri: "The most beautiful art is the art which is freest from the demands of convention, which has a law unto itself, which as technique is a creation of a special need" (Ansen 1990). Henri's book turned Lynch onto what he calls the "Art Life." About it, Lynch says: "In the Art Life you don't get married and you don't have families and you have studios and models and you drink a lot of coffee and you smoke cigarettes and you work mostly at night. Your place smells like oil paint and you think beneath the surface of things and you live a fantastic life of ideas. And create stuff" (Thompson, 1985, 106). To Lynch, the art comes first. This is evident in his films. Lynch thinks like a painter, not like a writer: he never talks about themes and messages; what interests him are textures, moods, contrasts, and silences (Ansen 1990).

After returning from Europe, Lynch attended the School of the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. After a year, he enrolled in the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts.

It was the late Sixties before he began to experiment with film. His first experiment was a minutes worth of film which played on a continuous loop. It started off with six heads and then arms and stomachs grew in. The heads caught fire and then all of the heads got violently sick and then it started all over again (Moritz 1987).

It is a deep fear that spurs Lynch to create. His "fear of being restricted - in every way" developed while in art school in Philadelphia. When he lived there he considered Philadelphia "the sleaziest, most corrupt, decadent, sick, fear-ridden, twisted city on the face of the earth" (Moritz, 1987, p. 376). Also, while he was in Philadelphia, Lynch and his roommate, Jack Fisk, lived next door to the morgue. From all of this Lynch got his original ideas about art and filmmaking.

In 1970, Lynch moved to Los Angeles, and enrolled at the American Film Institute as a fellow in the Center for Advanced Film Studies. There, he made The Grandmother, a partially animated , thirty-four minute film.

In The Grandmother, a lonely, emotionally abused boy grows a grandmother from a seed; they are happy together for a little while; then she dies (whistling like a tea kettle), and shortly afterward he follows her (Rose 1984)

In 1972, Lynch began work on Eraserhead. During the five years it took to make Eraserhead, Lynch very much lived the Art Life. He continuously ran out of money, he even borrowed some from his parents. He slept on the set, he had friends padlock him in so the guards wouldn't notice, and he took on a paper route, delivering the Wall Street Journal for forty-eight dollars a week.

Eraserhead is the story of Henry, who agrees to marry his girlfriend, Mary X, when she gives birth to a hideous, mewling "thing" that seemed to lack an epidermis. Then nature goes awry. She gives birth to a series of strange creatures that Henry liquidates by flinging them against a wall. Eventually, he kills the first and most gruesome of all his offspring in what has been called "one of the most repugnant scenes in film history." For that "crime", Henry is decapitated (Moritz, 1987, p. 376).

In 1978, comedian Mel Brooks was looking for a writer-director to do the story of John Merrick, the so-called Elephant Man. Merrick suffered from neurofibromatosis, which resulted in a large, disfigured head, a twisted spine, and an otiose right arm (Moritz 1987).

After a screening of Eraserhead, with Lynch waiting nervously outside, Brooks came out yelling, "You're a madman, I love you, you're in" (Woodward, 1990, p. 43). Surprised when he met Lynch, Brooks has since described him as "Jimmy Stewart from Mars" (Moritz, 1987, p. 377).

Brooks chose Lynch to direct The Elephant Man, which went on to earn eight Academy Award nominations, including one for best director.

After receiving a reputation as bankable, Lynch next directed Dune for DeLaurentiis Entertainment Group. Expected to be a blockbuster of blockbusters, instead it was a forty million dollar dud.

Many things contributed to its failure. One of them was the post-production editing. Scenes were taken out and narration removed to make it a suitable theater length. The result was a mutilated and confusing film. He hopes that someday a four hours plus version can someday be released on home video. Lynch also had to change the 500 page novel into a 120 page script, and went through seven versions before pleasing De Laurentiis and Frank Herbert, the author. He also had to over see construction of over seventy sets.

Dune is the sprawling intergalactic saga of a young nobleman named Paul Atreides, the messiah whose coming has been foretold, who in the year 10,191 leads the Fremen in a holy-war against the corrupt, decadent powers that rule the universe. The Fremen, who inhabit the desert planet Arrakis, known as Dune, are miners of "melange", a narcotic spice found only on Dune, and it is for control of the coveted consciousness-expanding, life-prolonging spice, guarded by monster worms, that the ruling families of the four advanced planets conspire against one another (Moritz 1987).

Rather than blame Lynch for Dune's failure, De Laurentiis gave Lynch complete artistic control over a film, if he made it on a small budget. The result was Blue Velvet.

Blue Velvet is a coming of age story of Jeffrey Beaumont, played by Kyle MacLachlan. Jeffrey returns to his normal-seeming hometown, Lumberton, when his father, the proprietor of the local hardware store, is felled by what appears to be a cerebral hemorrhage. Returning from a hospital visit with his father, Jeffrey chances upon a severed, ant-infested human ear in a field. Tantalized by the mystery of the ear, which so resembles a seashell that when the camera enters its dark aperture the soundtrack swells with the roar of the ocean, Jeffrey launches an investigation that leads him to tunnel beneath Lumberton's placid surface and into its fetid underworld of sleazy dope dealers, official corruption, and dark sexual violence (Moritz 1987).

After its fall release, Blue Velvet began to reap profits. Also, Blue Velvet was voted 1986's best film by the National Society of Film Critics, and earned Lynch another Academy Award nomination for best director.

In 1988, De Laurentiis Entertainment Group went bankrupt, leaving several of Lynch's projects unmade. After Blue Velvet, Lynch was set to shoot Ronnie Rocket, and then possibly Dune II and Dune III.

Lynch's next project was for TV, the offbeat and unusual Twin Peaks, which had people wondering, who killed Laura Palmer? The pilot has been described as, "a hybrid of fairly typical nighttime soap fare crossed with a murder mystery" (Severin, 1990, p. 67). The response to Twin Peaks has been overwhelming. It has been hailed as the series that will change TV. A group of parents even rushed away from a school board meeting to get to their sets by nine PM (Twin Peaks' Freaks 1990).

Twin Peaks has also been proved to be marketable, with products such as T-shirts, Laura Palmer's Secret Diary, and a Twin Peaks soundtrack. There are even Twin Peaks trading cards about to be released.

Lynch's most recent film is Wild At Heart. It is a road movie with several Wizard of Oz references, even a bad witch and a good witch.

Initial reactions to screenings of Wild At Heart scared the producers. Upset by the film's surreal and graphic violence, people were walking out (Rugoff 1990). Ten minutes were then edited out of the film.

Wild At Heart, which is based on the novel by Barry Gifford, is the story of just out of jail Sailor Ripley and Lula Fortune and their trek from South Carolina to Texas to get away from Lula's tyrannical mother, and the hit men sent after them.

Wild At Heart won the Palme d'or at the Cannes Film Festival in Cannes, France.

Lynch's other credits include co-writing Blue Star, and Mysteries of Love, and acting in Zelly and Me, some episodes of Twin Peaks, and a cameo appearance in Dune.

For seven years Lynch has done a comic strip called "The Angriest Dog in the World." The only thing that changes from week to week is the often cryptic words of the four panel cartoon. At the beginning is the long standing caption: "The dog who is so angry he cannot move. He cannot eat. He cannot sleep. He can just barely growl. Bound so tightly with tension and anger, he approaches the state of rigor mortis" (Thompson, 1985, p. 105).

This is one of the cartoons (Medich 1990).

From Lynch's first marriage he has a daughter, Jennifer, who is herself a filmmaker. She has written a script called Boxing Helena, about a woman whose boyfriend cuts off her arms and legs and keeps her in a box. Lynch has a son, Austin, from his second marriage. He lives with his mother and wants to direct and act. Lately, Lynch has been seeing the actress/model Isabella Rossellini.

References
Ansen, D. (1990, April 9). The kid from mars. Newsweek, pp. 66-67+.
Medich, R. (1990, October). Another weirdness from david lynch. Premiere, p. 33.
Moritz, C. (Ed.). (1987). Current biography. New York: The H. W. Wilson Company.
Rose, L. (1984, October). Tumoresque: the films of david lynch. The Atlantic, pp. 108-109.
Rugoff, R. (1990, September). Wild at heart. Premiere, pp. 81-82, 84.
Servin, J. (1990, March). prime time provocateurs. Harper's Bazaar, pp. 67-68.
Thompson, T. (1985, January). Alien. Esquire, pp. 105-109.
Twin peaks' freaks. (1990, May 3). New York Times, p.26, sec. A
Woodward, R. B. (1990, January 14). A dark lens on america. New York Times Magazine, p. 19+
Smith, J. (Producer), & Lynch, D. (Director). (1980). The elephant man [Film]. Hollywood, CA: Paramount.
Smith, J. (Producer), & Lynch, D. (Director). (1985). Dune [Film]. Hollywood, CA: Universal.
Smith, J. (Producer), & Lynch, D. (Director). (1986). Blue Velvet [Film]. Hollywood, CA: De Laurentiis Entertainment Group.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Archive on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:49 pm

As it grows with me, Inland Empire has gradually become my favorite. For me, it works as an emotional dissection of the relationship between an actor and a director on all kinds of emotional levels, and is the most honest, unflinching work David has done, I think. Maybe the lack of production was a way for David to keep himself honest, by removing the temptation for artifice. If so, I think it worked.

I love that whe folks ask David what the film is about, all he'll say is "a woman in trouble." Is that a description of the woman in his mind, or of Laura Dern? What is the difference, in the end?

Before seeing Inland Empire, it would have been Mulholland Drive, followed by Dune.
Archive
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:49 pm

Wild at Heart. It just gets goofier every time I watch it.
"One eyed Jack's yearning to go peepin' in a seafood store"
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Bloo on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:32 am

Favorite Lynch movie, has to be The Stright Story, there's just something about that movie that even though it's so different then Lynch's other stuff, could ONLY be done by Lynch
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:42 am

I will say the Twin Peaks pilot is my favorite. It sold me on the whole series right there.

Mullholland Drive was also conceived and shot as a television pilot, so it counts as a movie as much as the TP pilot, but I think I prefer the TP pilot, but only slightly. They're both great.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Al Shut on Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:58 pm

I have to give props to Fire Walk with Me for showing me (for dummies) how little literal the crazy stuff in a Lynch movie has tio be taken. After watching that Lost Highway and Mullholland drive both made more sense to me.

that view doesn'tm necessarily reflect in the poll, apparently I voted there before without posting in the thread and I have no clue how I voted.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby BuckyO'harre on Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:45 pm

Al Shut wrote:
that view doesn'tm necessarily reflect in the poll, apparently I voted there before without posting in the thread and I have no clue how I voted.

The choice you voted for is in black if you use the AICN style.
Not sure what it looks like in phantom mode.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:07 pm

I do use AICN

it doesn't

but it's not really imprtant
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby BuckyO'harre on Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:15 pm

Your page shows the results, but one of them isn't darker?

You're sure you voted?

Something's amiss.

Maybe you never voted and the poll is closed.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby redeemerE on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:08 pm

I put Wild At Heart because Willem Dafoe was freakin awsome!!
redeemerE
GLIB

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:15 am

Crap! Eraserhead is on Sundance right now! Why didn't anyone tell me?
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby marineboy on Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:13 am

The elegant Mullholland Drive for me - with possibly the most tragically beautiful lesbian sex scene ever
marineboy
GLIB

Postby darkjedijaina on Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:43 am

So, I watched Blue Velvet last night.... I don't get it. I really don't. I mean, I GET IT. But, I don't get the appeal.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue May 18, 2010 2:34 am

David Lynch Makes 16 Minute Advert for Christian Dior

Click the HD button on the embedded video to get a bigger version.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Tue May 18, 2010 4:06 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:David Lynch Makes 16 Minute Advert for Christian Dior

Click the HD button on the embedded video to get a bigger version.

Beat me to it! I was just coming to post this... It's pretty fucking good stuff.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby MacCready on Tue May 18, 2010 11:59 pm

darkjedijaina wrote:So, I watched Blue Velvet last night.... I don't get it. I really don't. I mean, I GET IT. But, I don't get the appeal.

Dennis Hopper with the nitros oxide...otherwise? Not much.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:00 pm

Lynch plays favorites at AFI Fest
By MIKE CIDONI, AP Entertainment Writer – Fri Oct 29, 9:54 am ET

LOS ANGELES – David Lynch has segued from making movies to showing them.

As the first guest artistic director of the AFI Fest, the "Blue Velvet" director has programmed a mini festival within the film festival, which begins next week in Hollywood.

His selections: director Ingmar Bergman's "Hour of the Wolf" (1968), Stanley Kubrick's "Lolita" (1962). Jacques Tati's "Mon Oncle" (1958), Alfred Hitchcock's "Rear Window" (1954) and Billy Wilder's "Sunset Blvd." (1950).

Whittling his list down to just a half-dozen was "impossible in a way," Lynch noted. "These are films that really inspired me and films I love."

Lynch and the festival have a long history, dating back to his first feature, "Eraserhead" (1976). "I'd been rejected from the New York Film Festival, and Cannes; I was supposed to go," Lynch recalled, adding that he finally scored a screening for "Eraserhead" at Filmex, the AFI Fest predecessor. "Ben Barenholtz from Libra Films saw it (there) and the film was distributed on the midnight circuit."

"Eraserhead" would become a cult classic and the film that launched Lynch's Hollywood career, which also includes "The Elephant Man" (1980), "Blue Velvet" (1986), the TV series "Twin Peaks" (1990-91), and "Mulholland Dr." (2001), for which he received one of his four Oscar nominations.

The director, who has produced video introductions for select screenings, will be on hand Nov. 6 to present the double bill of "Eraserhead" and the classic Hollywood drama "Sunset Blvd.." "Billy Wilder created such a world and I say I would love to live in that world," Lynch commented. "I loved watching this film and being in that world. William Holden and Gloria Swanson: beyond the beyond, the mood, it's like a beautiful dream."

In addition to serving as guest artistic director, Lynch also created artwork that serves as the official image of the festival, which is in its 24th year. AFI Fest 2010 is set for Nov. 4-11.

___

Online: http://www.AFI.com/AFIFEST
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:51 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:07 pm

Wondering what Lynch is doing next? A Duran Duran concert.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:23 pm

God, finally
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby SilentScream on Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:34 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Wondering what Lynch is doing next? A Duran Duran concert.

Let's hope it's better than that distinctly underwhelming flick which Scorsese recently made about The Rolling Stones. What a bore that was.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri May 20, 2011 12:18 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ye Black Knight on Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:03 am

Lo, for although a view non-popular, this knight beloveth ye lengthy'er telling of "Dune", as hath I seen upon ye DVD discus! For ye saga be'ith more complete, fuller, and more meaty; just as Lady Kim Kardashian fill her suit-o'-bathing more voluptuously (and erotically) than lady Keira Knightley!

This post now concludeth!
VIEW THIS KNIGHT'S WEB'TALES OF METAL, PRESENT'ETH'D IN YE ART OF PURE CINEMA:
http://www.heavymetalsuperstar.com
Ye Black Knight
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby wonkabar on Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:43 pm

wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby so sorry on Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:09 pm

wonkabar wrote:

Kinda pointless...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby SilentScream on Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:51 pm

I'm sorry but there is NO WAY on earth that Dune should have the same amount of votes as Blue Velvet and more than Eraserhead and The Elephant Man. That is just PLAIN WRONG. It's like saying Hook is as good as Close Encounters or The Aviator as good as Taxi Driver.
Absurd.

Nice to see Mulholland Drive out in front though.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Al Shut on Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:00 pm

SilentScream wrote:It's like saying Hook is as good as Close Encounters

Hook is better :twisted:
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby SilentScream on Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:11 pm

Al Shut wrote:

I'm assuming you haven't took your meds yet? :wink:
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:21 pm

Al Shut wrote:

better at putting me to sleep? you are correct.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Al Shut on Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:30 pm

I should rephrase that: I'd rate Hook higher than Close Encounters

Yeah, I confess, only because I haven't seen close encounters

but in all all honesty and back to the topic, when given the choice between watching Dune or the Elephant Man I'd choose Dune. Why anyone would ant to see the Elephant Man is beyond me.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby so sorry on Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:56 pm

Al Shut wrote:but in all all honesty and back to the topic, when given the choice between watching Dune or the Elephant Man I'd choose Dune. Why anyone would ant to see the Elephant Man is beyond me.

I liked Elephant Man alot, but like Al said, not a movie I enjoy watching. Dune, however, is infinitely watchable!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby wonkabar on Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:28 pm

so sorry wrote:
wonkabar wrote:

Kinda pointless...

Uh...how so? :?
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

PreviousNext

Return to Director Discussion