The Coen Brothers

Which director made the best films, made the best visuals, or smelled the best? This is the forum to find out.

Which are your favourite Coen Brothers Films? (choose two)

Blood Simple
4%
Crimewave (they only wrote it and disown it but hey, why not)
No votes
Raising Arizona
12%
Miller's Crossing
12%
Barton Fink
12%
The Hudsucker Proxy
8%
Fargo
4%
The Big Lebowski
20%
O Brother Where Art Thou?
8%
The Man Who Wasn't There
No votes
Intolerable Cruelty
No votes
The Ladykillers
No votes
No Country for Old Men
16%
Burn After Reading
No votes
A Serious Man
No votes
True Grit
4%

Total votes : 25

The Coen Brothers

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:34 am

If you love movies, chances are you really enjoy the wacky, eclectic films of Ethan and Joel Coen. Theyve been making films for over 20 years now and theyve created a cinema style all their own. From their debut film, the pitch black comedy Blood Simple to their later works like Fargo, The Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou? and The Man Who Wasnt There, theres something for everyone in Coen Bros films. Colorful characters, funny as hell dialogue, great direction and music. Heres the place to discuss your favorite Coen Brothers film works.
Last edited by WinslowLeach on Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

"Ya ate sand???!!!"

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:22 pm

"Or my name isn't Nathan Arizona!"

The combination of hysterical dialogue, inventive camera movements (Barry Sonnenfeld was DP), and some downright zany performances make Raising Arizona not only my fave Coen Bros. film but one of my favorite comedies of all time.

Tough call for me to not go with "Barton Fink" (keepcool had sex for the first time after seeing that movie :D) or "Miller's Crossing".

But methinks the bros. have been in a slump since Lebowski.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:25 pm

Miller's Crossing or Big Lebowski, I can't choose. No way.

Someone argue for one or the other. I love those films so much.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:38 pm

Love the Coens and Lebowski is their crown jewel.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby John-Locke on Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:22 pm

It's like Sophie's Choice, I love them all. If I must choose I'll go for Fargo because it has a great mix of Comedy and Violence.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby evolvingsensblty on Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:55 pm

This is definitely Sophie's Choice...it's either Lebowski or Miller's for me too...or maybe Fargo...or Raising Arizona...Blood Simple!! 8) 8)

I like Goodman screaming about "the life of the mind!!" in Barton Fink...

I'll say Lebowski (today). Bridges' performance puts it a little ahead of Miller's, I think.
evolvingsensblty
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Man-in-the-Box on Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:15 am

They're all so damn good. I don't know which way to go. In the end, I'll go for Raising Az. I must have watched that a thousand times when I was in high school. Who know's, if Lebowski or O'Brother had come out at that time instead my vote might have been different. I just watched Fargo again the other day. One thing is for sure, their movies hold up after multiple veiwings. I havent seen The Man Who Wasn't There, how's that?
I'm not with Cowbell, he's with me.
Man-in-the-Box
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:18 am

The Man Who Wasn't there is maybe their most technical achievement, the cinematography is supurb, The Dialogue is witty and fast. The actual story is rather simple but the execution is near perfect.

Better than either Intolerable Cruelty or Ladykillers this was their last Independant movie before deciding to give the studio system a go. Not as great as their earlier work but still far better than most of the crap out there. I bought it on DVD for £5/$9 well worth the price. Check it out.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Man-in-the-Box on Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:39 am

Thanks for the tip.

I'm sure that I saw Intolerable Cruelty, but I'll be damned if I remember it. It mustn't have been all that good, or perhaps I was tired. Ladykillers I missed altogether.
Man-in-the-Box
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:53 am

Ladykillers is quite funny, worth a rental if only for JK Simmons.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby PVIII on Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:50 am

I couldn't stand Intolerable Cruelty. I went for Miller's Crossing. Love me some Johnny T.

PVIII
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Man-in-the-Box on Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:15 am

O' Brother is fantastic. Just thinking about it, I've got the soundtrack going through my studly dome.
Man-in-the-Box
AIRWOLF

Postby Cbabbitt on Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:10 am

I LOVE Hudsucker Proxy. It's my fave Coen film. Tim Robbins is great, as is Paul Newman.
Cbabbitt
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby bluebottle on Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:13 am

I love Hudsucker Proxy too, and I think Jennifer Jason Leigh is amazing in it, despite what people at the time said.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Man-in-the-Box on Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:55 am

I agree,she was terrific.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amy Archer: Is this guy from Chumpsville or what? Ha! I even pulled the old mother routine.
Smitty: Adenoids.
Amy Archer: Lumbago.
Smitty: [whistles] That gag's got whiskers on it!
Man-in-the-Box
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Sun May 13, 2007 3:05 pm

I found O Brother to be really too slow and lacking when I first saw it.

Having rewatched it again recently, I found it to be really fantastic.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lisse on Sun May 13, 2007 5:22 pm

Almost went for Fargo, but I really, really love "O Brother" and that got my vote in the end. Everything was just wonderfully done in that one.
Lisse
GLIB

Postby yaz67 on Sun May 13, 2007 8:53 pm

Sam McMurray deserved awards for his small role in Raising Arizona.

Say that reminds me, how'd you get that kid so darn fast? Me and Dot went in to adopt on account something went wrong with my semen and they said we had to wait five years for a healthy white baby.

I said, "Healthy white baby? Five years? What else you got?"

Said they got two Koreans and a negra born with his heart on the outside. It's a crazy world.

Someone oughta sell tickets.

Sure, I'd buy one.
yaz67
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby minstrel on Sun May 13, 2007 11:22 pm

It's hard not to go with Fargo. It's perfect.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Mon May 14, 2007 7:39 am

John-Locke wrote:The Man Who Wasn't there is maybe their most technical achievement, the cinematography is supurb, The Dialogue is witty and fast. The actual story is rather simple but the execution is near perfect.

Yeah - maybe not their best movie as to the story- (although not bad at all) - but the clair-obscure light effects in this film really make me drool.
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon May 14, 2007 8:08 am

I voted for Lebowski, not necessarily 'cause I find it to be their best film per se, but because it so perfectly married their brand of filmmaking to the more "mainstream" class of comedies... I'd even rank it up there along with Dr. Strangelove as one of the all-time original great comedies. OF ALL TIME!!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:04 pm

Im watching Lebowski again, right now. I havent seen it in a few years and I really do think its a perfect movie. The attention to detail is awesome, and every time I watch it I find something new. For instance, the scene where he goes to watch his Landlords performance. The landlord dances behind a white screen, and comes around it with a pathetic little roll and does his thing in front of the screen. A funny enough scene, but I noticed that the sap has a crash mat for his roll, and it set me off laughing for a good 5 minutes.
And it looks glorious in HD, I actually got a little motion sickness during the bowling ball POV in the first dream sequence.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:08 pm

Hermanator X wrote:Im watching Lebowski again, right now. I havent seen it in a few years and I really do think its a perfect movie. The attention to detail is awesome, and every time I watch it I find something new. For instance, the scene where he goes to watch his Landlords performance. The landlord dances behind a white screen, and comes around it with a pathetic little roll and does his thing in front of the screen. A funny enough scene, but I noticed that the sap has a crash mat for his roll, and it set me off laughing for a good 5 minutes.
And it looks glorious in HD, I actually got a little motion sickness during the bowling ball POV in the first dream sequence.

It is a bit disconcerting....depending on your mental state......
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby judderman on Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:12 pm

I need to confess something. Perhaps someone can diagnose my illness.

I love, love, love the Coens when they do screwball comedy. The Big Lebowski, Raising Arizona and O Brother Where Art Thou are three of my all time favourite films.

But I hate the Coens when they do noir. I hated Barton Fink, I hated Fargo, and I hated The Man Who Wasn't There.

Maybe I just don't like noir. I mean, technically and visually, those films are remarkable, and I will hold on to certain scenes til the day I die, but I just couldn't take the nihllism at their core. I don't like being asked to laugh when innocent people die for no reason. Yes, Quentin Terentino does the same, but his films have characters I actually cared about and sympathised with. I have never liked any of the characters in Coen noirs, even the ones I was supposed to like.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:13 pm

Sober as a judge, clean as a whistle, and loving it.
Remind me never to tell a taxi driver I hate the eagles.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:15 pm

judderman wrote:I need to confess something. Perhaps someone can diagnose my illness.

I love, love, love the Coens when they do screwball comedy. The Big Lebowski, Raising Arizona and O Brother Where Art Thou are three of my all time favourite films.

But I hate the Coens when they do noir. I hated Barton Fink, I hated Fargo, and I hated The Man Who Wasn't There.

Maybe I just don't like noir. I mean, technically and visually, those films are remarkable, and I will hold on to certain scenes til the day I die, but I just couldn't take the nihllism at their core. I don't like being asked to laugh when innocent people die for no reason. Yes, Quentin Terentino does the same, but his films have characters I actually cared about and sympathised with. I have never liked any of the characters in Coen noirs, even the ones I was supposed to like.

Did you hate Blood Simple?
Cause in my book, that's the only film to out-Hitchcock Hitchcock - evar....
The Vicar

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:21 pm

Blood simple is excellent, and I think I need to revisit it. I still havent got round to seeing Barton Fink (Criminal I know) but I hope to rectify the situation!!
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:29 pm

I don't know how many times you've seen it judderman, but give Fargo another chance.

First viewing, I didn't like it at all, stopped watching.

Second viewing, adored it.

EDIT: Ok, here it comes... are you ready?

I've seen every Coen Bros. film except Blood Simple. *hides*
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Chilli on Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:32 pm

Fargo is one of those few films that I think is simply too good to be truly appreciated on a first viewing. Its a strange watch, not as immediately awesome as Big Lebowski or as flat-out fantastic as Millers Crossing.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Vegeta on Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:32 pm

Raising Arizona is my favorite hands down! I like a lot of the others, but the madcap lunacy of Raising arizona has yet to be matched by the Coens.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:33 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:I don't know how many times you've seen it judderman, but give Fargo another chance.

EDIT: Ok, here it comes... are you ready?

I've seen every Coen Bros. film except Blood Simple. *hides*

Yeah Fargo is teh awesome and to me has the most heart of all the Coen movies,

@JUdderman how can you not like Margey and her husband!?!?!?! That's just pure insane madness!!!111 They get up together and cook each other breakfast and kiss each other goodnight...

As for not seeing "Blood Simple" Pacino, *points the finger of shame and utters* shame!

One thing I will say is that I too didn't like "The Man Who Wasn't There" either, I've only seen it once so will give it more chances afterall "O Brother" took 5 viewings for me to like it... I think next time I watch it, I'll try and see it as a dull man, living in a dull world with an incapacity for amazement... perhaps that'd help.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:14 am

@magic monkey
5 attempts to like o brother is real perserverence!!
But im with you on man who wasnt there. Im hoping I will "get it" second time around.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:45 am

Yeah, I think the Coens have problems in setting up a correct mood. Usually done through music, it can often be at odds to the humour or hope in their darker tales. If I watch the movies in the right mood,its all good. But, to actually get you in the right mood is a real skill, I think they achieved it with "Intolerable Cruelty" where it opens with "Suspicious Minds" and you have all the comedy ironic hearts and cupids.

Sometimes I think they use their music too much for stylistic reasons... something that Tarantino does alot too but more successfully as its a fully developed style rather than a piece within a patchwork as the Coen's comes across as.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby minstrel on Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:50 am

Fargo is probably one of the five best movies I've ever seen.

It sneaks up on you. It's about such ordinary, unremarkable people that it's hard to take seriously, so maybe it doesn't sink in when serious things happen. It's as if small boys are playing adult games and have no clue how to do it. It has wonderful characters, even in small roles. It has a fantastic script. It has great acting. It has a scene - the scene in Wade's office, when Jerry thinks Wade is going to do the deal he wants him to do, but doesn't - that is one of my favorite scenes in the history of movies. Beautiful. Brilliant.

Fargo is a masterpiece, a quirky gem of a film. I've seen it maybe thirty times, and I'd happily see it another thirty.

Them Coen boys are DAMN talented.

!!!!
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:23 am

Ok I just ordered the Director's Cut of Blood Simple, so in a few short days I will have finally seen every Coen Bros. film!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Nordling on Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:03 am

MILLER'S CROSSING for me. Each line of dialogue is like a perfectly faceted diamond.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:26 am

Nordling wrote:MILLER'S CROSSING for me. Each line of dialogue is like a perfectly faceted diamond.

Hehehe... Gabriel Byrne, he spends a the whole movie getting beat uppa, no? I always a like a the scene where he's a brought inna'to a the room anna the bruiser, he comes in anna the Byrne, he picks uppa the chair anna smashes him inna the face, eh? Anna the bruiser, he just a looks atta him inna'credulously, eh? Anna says "Jesus, Tom..." a like "what inna the hell did a you do that for, eh?"

Hehehehe...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Nordling on Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:52 am

This... this shit is gold.

"I'm talkin' about friendship. I'm talkin' about character. I'm talkin' about - hell, Leo, I ain't embarrassed to use the word - I'm talkin' about ethics. You know I'm a sporting man. I like to make the occasional bet. But I ain't that sporting. When I fix a fight, say - if I pay a three-to-one favorite to throw a goddamn fight - I figure I got a right to expect that fight to go off at three-to-one. But every time I lay a bet with this sonofabitch Bernie Bernbaum, before I know it the odds is even up - or worse, I'm betting the short money. ... He's selling the information I fixed the fight. Out-of-town money comes pourin' in. The odds go straight to hell. ... The point is, Bernie ain't satisfied with the honest dollar he can make off the vig. He ain't satisfied with the business I do on his book. He's sellin' tips on how I bet, and that means part of the payoff that should be ridin' on my hip is ridin' on someone else's. ... It's gettin' so a businessman can't expect no return from a fixed fight. Now if you can't trust a fix, what can you trust? For a good return you gotta go bettin' on chance, and then you're back with anarchy. Right back inna jungle. On account of the breakdown of ethics. That's why ethics is important. It's the grease makes us get along, what separates us from the animals, beasts a burden, beasts a prey. Ethics. Whereas Bernie Bernbaum is a horse of a different color ethics-wise. As in, he ain't got any. He's stealin' from me plain and simple... So it's clear to you what I'm saying?"

"As mud."
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Karl Hungus on Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:13 pm

Has to be The Big Lebowski for me, but quite honestly, both Fargo and Miller's crossing are absolutely brilliant aswell.
Karl Hungus
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Al Shut on Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:38 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:I don't know how many times you've seen it judderman, but give Fargo another chance.

Mhh I might have to give Fargo a second chance myself, I didn't like it the first time (probably didn't even finish it)

For some strange reason I didn't like Lebowski (which is on TV right now. YEHA!!!) the first time I watched it. How can some one watch this and don't realize it funny as hell?
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby tapehead on Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:06 pm

Nordling wrote:MILLER'S CROSSING for me. Each line of dialogue is like a perfectly faceted diamond.

What's the Rumpus?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby The Vicar on Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:23 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Ok I just ordered the Director's Cut of Blood Simple, so in a few short days I will have finally seen every Coen Bros. film!

I think you'll like.
As first films go, this one is a gem.
Try very hard to NOT get interrupted whilst viewing.
Features one of the most excruciating scenes evar - you'll know it when it comes by.....
The Vicar

Postby The Vicar on Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:24 pm

tapehead wrote:

What's the Rumpus?

A "set to".
Some excitement.
A "tussle".
A "fuss."

Like that.
The Vicar

Postby The Vicar on Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:25 pm

Nordling wrote:This... this shit is gold.

"I'm talkin' about friendship. I'm talkin' about character. I'm talkin' about - hell, Leo, I ain't embarrassed to use the word - I'm talkin' about ethics. You know I'm a sporting man. I like to make the occasional bet. But I ain't that sporting. When I fix a fight, say - if I pay a three-to-one favorite to throw a goddamn fight - I figure I got a right to expect that fight to go off at three-to-one. But every time I lay a bet with this sonofabitch Bernie Bernbaum, before I know it the odds is even up - or worse, I'm betting the short money. ... He's selling the information I fixed the fight. Out-of-town money comes pourin' in. The odds go straight to hell. ... The point is, Bernie ain't satisfied with the honest dollar he can make off the vig. He ain't satisfied with the business I do on his book. He's sellin' tips on how I bet, and that means part of the payoff that should be ridin' on my hip is ridin' on someone else's. ... It's gettin' so a businessman can't expect no return from a fixed fight. Now if you can't trust a fix, what can you trust? For a good return you gotta go bettin' on chance, and then you're back with anarchy. Right back inna jungle. On account of the breakdown of ethics. That's why ethics is important. It's the grease makes us get along, what separates us from the animals, beasts a burden, beasts a prey. Ethics. Whereas Bernie Bernbaum is a horse of a different color ethics-wise. As in, he ain't got any. He's stealin' from me plain and simple... So it's clear to you what I'm saying?"

"As mud."

Possibly Jon Polito's best role ( discounting Homicide ).
The Vicar

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:25 pm

The Vicar wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:Ok I just ordered the Director's Cut of Blood Simple, so in a few short days I will have finally seen every Coen Bros. film!

I think you'll like.
As first films go, this one is a gem.
Try very hard to NOT get interrupted whilst viewing.
Features one of the most excruciating scenes evar - you'll know it when it comes by.....

Will do, I can't wait! It should arrive by wednesday or thursday.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby tapehead on Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:40 pm

Best 'tracking along a bar' shot - ever.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

I'll show you the Life of The Mind!

Postby tapehead on Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:43 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Tough call for me to not go with "Barton Fink" (keepcool had sex for the first time after seeing that movie :D)

*Nelson,Bart and Millhouse* "Barton Fink! Barton Fink!"
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Re: I'll show you the Life of The Mind!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:24 am

tapehead wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Tough call for me to not go with "Barton Fink" (keepcool had sex for the first time after seeing that movie :D)

*Nelson,Bart and Millhouse* "Barton Fink! Barton Fink!"

factually, it was Milhouse, Richard, and Lewis...

but LOL anyways, 'cuz that's exactly what my response is when 'ye olde "up the hill to fetch a pail of water" discussion comes up...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:43 am

So I finally watched Blood Simple over the weekend. I thought it was very good, but at this point it's hard for me to call it the Coen Bros.' best film, since they themselves have repeated many of the images and depictions in Blood Simple for their later films (all of which I've seen).

I watched the Director's Cut of the film, but after some online research there seems to be quite an uproar among fans with respect to this new cut... so I of course can't say if it's better or worse than the original, but people seem displeased!

As for the "excruciating" scene, I have no idea what Vicar might be referring to, :D!! Have I become so desensitized that that sort of thing doesn't set off any flags anymore?

In any case, I'm guessing it's one of the following two things:

1- Hedaya being buried alive, or
2- The knife through the hand?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:51 am

Interesting, I'd forgotten about the director's cut. Now I have to track that down.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Next

Return to Director Discussion