Films of The (Hitch)Cock (with Poll)

Which director made the best films, made the best visuals, or smelled the best? This is the forum to find out.

what is the greatest Hitchcock film?

Mary (1931)
No votes
Rich and Strange (1931)
No votes
Number 17 (1932)
No votes
Waltzes from vienna (1933)
No votes
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934)
No votes
The 39 Steps (1935)
2%
Secret Agent (1936)
No votes
Sabotage (1936)
No votes
Young and Innocent (1937)
No votes
The Lady Vanishes (1938)
2%
Jamaica Inn (1939)
No votes
Rebecca (1940)
5%
Foreign Correspondent (1940)
No votes
Mr. & Mrs. Smith (1941)
No votes
Suspicion (1941)
No votes
Saboteur (1942)
No votes
Shadow of a Doubt (1943)
No votes
Bon Voyage (1944)
No votes
Lifeboat (1944)
2%
Spellbound (1945)
No votes
Notorious (1946)
No votes
The Paradine Case (1947)
No votes
Rope (1948)
3%
Under Capricorn (1949)
No votes
Stage Fright (1950)
No votes
Strangers on a Train (1951)
No votes
I Confess (1953)
No votes
Dial M for Murder (1954)
No votes
Rear Window (1954)
12%
To Catch a Thief (1955)
No votes
The Trouble With Harry (1955)
3%
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)
No votes
The Wrong Man (1956)
No votes
Vertigo (1958)
22%
North By Northwest (1959)
19%
Psycho (1960)
14%
The Birds (1963)
10%
Marnie (1964)
2%
Torn Curtain (1966)
2%
Topaz (1969)
No votes
Frenzy (1972)
No votes
Family Plot (1976)
No votes
I Just Giggle Whenever Anybody Says His Name
No votes
He's A Poor Man's De Palma...
2%

Total votes : 58

Postby Maui on Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:19 pm

Oh good lord, I didn't know there was a COCK, ahem HitchCOCK thread.

Guess what, I voted and Northwest is now tied with Vertigo.
Maui
WoWie

Re: Films of The Hitch(Cock) (with Poll)

Postby Seppuku on Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:52 am

I'm not sure if anyone here is freakishly fanatical enough about these two filmmakers to want to listen to them natter on for over 20 hours, but just in case you're as weird as me, the legendary Hitchcock and Truffaut interviews can all be found online here (parts 1-5) and here (the rest).
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby instant_karma on Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:55 am

I know it's not his greatest film, but I went for The Lady Vanishes because it's the one I can just watch over and over again. Michael Redgrave in that film might just be the smoothest fucker ever.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Seppuku on Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:03 am

instant_karma wrote:I know it's not his greatest film, but I went for The Lady Vanishes because it's the one I can just watch over and over again. Michael Redgrave in that film might just be the smoothest fucker ever.

How does that tune go again?

Yeah, I think if I could re-vote, it'd probably be for The Lady Vanishes.

And you're gonna love me for what I'm about to do. There was a pretty decent horror anthology movie released in '45 called Dead of Night, which had an hilarious segment that reteamed the two cricket-loving gadabouts, Charters and Caldicott. It's a MUST-SEE for any fan of The Lady Vanishes. And here it is on Youtube. (The beginning's just part of the wrap-around plot, the actual segment kicks in about 1.20 minutes in).
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Re: Films of The (Hitch)Cock (with Poll)

Postby Ribbons on Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:33 pm

Okay, so Shadow of a Doubt just arrived in the mail via Netflix. I'm probably going to end up watching it anyway, but to anyone who's seen it before: yay or nay? What sayest thou, Zone?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:14 am

My local grindhouse was showing THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY last night and I had never seen it, so I checked it out. Apparently this is Hitch's favorite of his own movies although it wouldn't be mine. He probably likes it because it's not only different from everything else he did, but also a pretty unique movie in general. It's like a more accessible Luis Bunuel absurdist comedy movie. It revolves around a bunch of people all stumbling upon a corpse and generally reacting to it in wacky ways. It's got that feel of a stage play in that characters mostly stand around in one or two locations bantering with all these other characters wandering in and out.

I had some pretty good laughs at the whole thing and enjoyed my viewing experience, but like I said, it definately wouldn't be up in my top Hitch movies. I haven't seen all his films, but if I had to pick a favorite, I'd probably go with VERTIGO. Stewart gets so creepy in that one.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:15 am

this weekend i watched a movie called CHANGELING. this was not the horror movie CHANGELING with george c scott and a ghost. this was the period drama/mystery CHANGELING with angelina jolie. although given what jolie's character goes through in the movie, it almost could be called a horror movie. basically, she's a single mom in the '20s whose kid goes missing one day. then, several months later, the police tell her they've found her kid in another state and are bringing him back. but when they bring him back, it's a different kid. when she tries to tell them it's not her kid, first they don't believe her, then they get mad at her and eventually throw her in a psych ward. how the rest plays out you'll have to watch yourself. there's a lot of mystery about, who is this kid, why is he pretending to be her son (the movie never really suggests the possibility it IS her son and she IS crazy), and why are the police so adamant about making her take care of this kid and think he is her son. also, if it's NOT her son, what happened to her real kid? it's all sufficiently interesting to keep the movie pretty compelling, and the performances and writing are all very good. i could nitpick a few details (for instance, i never really got a good idea of exactly why the kid pretended to be her son.... he gives a couple different explanations, and i wasn't sure which one was true, or if they were both true... the film could have been a bit clearer on that point) but overall the film works very well. this is also based on a true story, and it seems like a pretty incredible story, so i looked up on the arbiter of truth, wikipedia, but there isn't a lot of info on the real case. however, it does seem like all the basic elements of the film (missing kid, impostor kid, being thrown in the psych ward, etc.) really happened. some of the minor details (particularly towards the very, very end) and the importance of certain roles (in particular the radio televangelist/crusader) may have been changed or played up a bit, but it's still pretty accurate it seems.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Bloo on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:35 am

Spandau Belly wrote:My local grindhouse was showing THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY last night and I had never seen it, so I checked it out. Apparently this is Hitch's favorite of his own movies although it wouldn't be mine. He probably likes it because it's not only different from everything else he did, but also a pretty unique movie in general. It's like a more accessible Luis Bunuel absurdist comedy movie. It revolves around a bunch of people all stumbling upon a corpse and generally reacting to it in wacky ways. It's got that feel of a stage play in that characters mostly stand around in one or two locations bantering with all these other characters wandering in and out.

I had some pretty good laughs at the whole thing and enjoyed my viewing experience, but like I said, it definately wouldn't be up in my top Hitch movies. I haven't seen all his films, but if I had to pick a favorite, I'd probably go with VERTIGO. Stewart gets so creepy in that one.

I've always liked that movie, it's very cute
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:52 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:19 pm

Last edited by TheButcher on Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:15 pm

in the above article Pete Hammond wrote:And I have never gotten what is so brilliant about Carl Dreyer’s 1927 The Passion of Joan Of Arc yet there it is perched at No. 9 with these film nerds waxing poetic about its endless use of closeups.

Oh double balls and bollocks!
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:41 am

TheBaxter wrote:
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:"What would it look like if Steven Soderbergh mashed-up both versions of Psycho?"

that would be my guess.

Steven Soderbergh Edited Hitchcock’s Psycho and Gus Van Sant’s Psycho Into One Film
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Director Discussion