Werner Herzog

Which director made the best films, made the best visuals, or smelled the best? This is the forum to find out.

Favorite Werner Herzog film?

Aguirre, The Wrath of God
27%
The Great Ecstasy of Woodcarver Steiner
No votes
The Mystery of Kaspar Hauser
No votes
Nobody Wants to Play with Me
No votes
How Much Wood Would a Woodchuck Chuck
No votes
Heart of Glass
No votes
Stroszek
7%
Nosferatu the Vampyre
20%
Woyzeck
No votes
Fitzcarraldo
20%
Where the Green Ants Dream
No votes
Cobra Verde
7%
Les Gauloises
No votes
Echoes from a Somber Empire
No votes
Lessons of Darkness
No votes
Little Dieter Needs to Fly
No votes
My Best Fiend
7%
Invincible
No votes
Wheel of Time
No votes
The White Diamond
No votes
Grizzly Man
13%
The Wild Blue Yonder
No votes

Total votes : 15

Werner Herzog

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:14 pm

Ok, we've now had a glimpse at the next Werner Herzog film, Rescue Dawn. So what's your favorite Werner Herzog film, and why? I'm starting with Aguirre on the poll, since I don't think I could fit all of his films in here.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:19 pm

The Dino, he voted Aguirre, but he's a got a special place inna his a heart for a the Fitzcaraldo anna Nosferatu, eh?

Oh, anna the woodchuck movie...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:23 pm

A bit of a tangent, but how ridiculous is it that the Oscar Academy failed to even vote Grizzly Man up as one of the finalists for a doc nomination?
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:23 pm

IPAMPILASH! I only know Herzog's Kinski films, but I voted for My Best Fiend because it turned out to be an extremely beautiful tribute to his friend/nemesis. The end of that documentary just blew me away.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:25 pm

I haven't seen Grizzly Man, Gheorghe, care to comment on it? This could be a good place for people to learn more about Herzog. I'm a fan of his work, but I know so little of it!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby tapehead on Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:32 pm

Went for Fitzcarraldo (who builds an opera house in the Jungle?), I always think of that steamboat going up the mountain, although it could just as easily been Kaspar Hauser - bizarre, mysterious, enigmatic and beautiful film, like all the best of Herzog I guess. also one of the best child actors I can think of off-hand - certainly prefer his (no idea what his name was) performance in this to any hollywood kids that come to mind
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:50 pm

Fitzcarldo cause everybody went caa caa coo coo crayzay while making it. i heard an interview with Herzog on npr and apparently at one point he threatened to shoot Klaus Kinski for walking off the set! now that's just straight up nutso crayzay...

fans of Herzog should also check out Harmony Korrine's julien donkey boy. in the film Herzog plays the abusive, hilarious, robitussin-addict wacko father of Julien -- a young man with severe schizophrenia. it's a mess and it's pretensious as all hell, but its hilarious and unique enough to make it worth your while... its also the best movie about schizophrenia i've ever seen... it puts you in the schizo-seat! vroom! help!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:59 pm

Yeah there's a pretty good documentary on the making of Fitzcarraldo called Burden of Dreams
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:00 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:I haven't seen Grizzly Man, Gheorghe, care to comment on it? This could be a good place for people to learn more about Herzog. I'm a fan of his work, but I know so little of it!

Well looking at that list it seems Grizzly Man is the only Herzog film I've seen, and being a documentary I can't say how much of Herzog is in this, he provides an interesting enough narration and of course the big scene where he listens to the final tape, but mostly its stuff he didn't film, but compiled together, and not knowing Herzog its hard to say what he brought to that, all I can say is it was extremely compelling.

Easily the best doc I've seen this year (between Murderball, Penguins, and Rize, all three of which I also enjoyed), and in a long while. Just as a nature film, its interesting to compare next to something like March of the Penguins, Penguins lets you kind of anthropomorphize the animals, Grizzly Man works to avoid that. It doesn't want to let you forget that you're watching animals, not furry friends, which is even more acute because watching Treadwell, its obvious that while the film doesn't do this, Treadwell does. Its tough to think of a film that so succesfully won me over to a character while leaving me with no sympathy to his death. You don't come out of the film approving Treadwell at all, but at the same time there is something admirable about the guy, sure, its a stupid idea and a stupid way to go, but you can't help but like the guy for the goofy, gung-ho way he goes about it. Its just the kind of thing that makes for a great doc cause if it was a plain old film, you'd never believe it.
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:13 pm

Thanks for the review, Gheorghe! I have a lot of catching up to do with Werner Herzog.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:56 pm

I could have sworn there was a Grizzly Man topic somewhere but I guess not. Anyways, making a quick turnaround from DVD to TV, Herzog's doc is going to be on The Discovery Channel tonight at 8, so interested parties be sure to prepare accordingly.
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby Theta on Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:50 pm

tapehead wrote:Yeah there's a pretty good documentary on the making of Fitzcarraldo called Burden of Dreams

That will never feel like anything more than a truncated two-disc set to me. You REALLY need to have seen Fitzcarraldo to fully understand it.

I voted for "Aguirre", but I also love "Fitzcarraldo" and enjoyed "Cobra Verde." How can you not like a movie about a guy they pack off to Africa so he'll stop knocking up entire families?
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:19 pm

i voted for girzzly man, because incident at loch ness wasnt on the list. those are the only two of his ive seen, and i loved them both. grizzly man was one of the best documentaries ive ever seen. i would absolutely put herzog on par with, if not far superior to errol morris. although the two have a totally different feel and style, you come away from both directors feeling like you have learned more than you thought you would, and possibly than you wanted to. but i picked incident at loch ness, as i so enjoyed what a scathing indictment of hollywood it was. in addition to it being a welcome and enjoyable twist on modern pop cultural phenomena like the blair witch project, and more recently, reality television. grizzly man was my introduction to herzog, however, and as a result i will now research his history as a filmmaker. if he has been in the business as long as he has, and he is still producing work of this quality, i am scared to think how good some of his earlier stuff is. fuckin germans, hes like the kraftwerk of the film world.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:40 pm

Funny thing is, Herzog was a teacher of Errol Morris, if I'm not mistaken. That film called "Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe" is a documentary about Herzog losing a bet to Morris, and had to consequently eat his shoe, as promised.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Brocktune on Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:44 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Funny thing is, Herzog was a teacher of Errol Morris, if I'm not mistaken. That film called "Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe" is a documentary about Herzog losing a bet to Morris, and had to consequently eat his shoe, as promised.

thats funny. now i have to see it. i realize in retrospect, i should have omitted the adjective "far" in my comparison of herzog to morris. but i find it no large shock or surprise that morris studied under master herzog.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:29 pm

This is so, so difficult. At a real push I'd say 'Aguirre' followed by 'Heart of Darkness', 'Fitzcarraldo', 'Woyzeck' and 'Kasper Hauser'.

Documentry wise, 'The Wild Blue Yonder' is absolutely stunning and 'My Best Fiend' a complete hoot - if you want to see a real love-hate relationship between actor-director, look no further than this. Also, read Klaus Kinski's autobiography. The man was seriously deranged, I'm telling you!
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby fried samurai on Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:56 pm

I voted for Aguirre.There something about Herzog's films that you become completely engulfed in his world of madness.Aguirre is just a blast to watch."Strip the negro!" I'll never forget that scene.
fried samurai
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Re: Werner Herzog

Postby Seppuku on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:30 pm

I just noticed from his IMDb page that Bruno S, the elusive star of Stroszek and The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, died a couple of weeks back. It's a bit late, but I figured some of you would want to know. Here's a Guardian Obit. I'm still reeling from the fact that the S stood for Schleinstein!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:37 pm

Seppuku wrote:I just noticed from his IMDb page that Bruno S, the elusive star of Stroszek and The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, died a couple of weeks back. It's a bit late, but I figured some of you would want to know. Here's a Guardian Obit. I'm still reeling from the fact that the S stood for Schleinstein!

He's no Kinski but he did some really great work with Herzog.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:07 am

I haven't seen either of those films, there's still a lot of Werner I've yet to discover. RIP to Mr. S nonetheless.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:41 am

Werner Herzog's Filmmaking MasterClass
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Director Discussion