THE FILMS OF QUENTIN TARANTINO

Which director made the best films, made the best visuals, or smelled the best? This is the forum to find out.

Whats Your Favorite Tarantino Film?

Reservoir Dogs
13%
True Romance (screenplay)
No votes
Pulp Fiction
38%
Jackie Brown
25%
Kill Bill 1/2
No votes
Deathproof
No votes
Django Unchained
No votes
Inglorious Basterds
25%

Total votes : 8

Postby Maui on Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:23 pm

minstrel wrote:I never got into Tarantino. I bought Kill Bill 1 to see what the fuss was all about. It started off well, but that House of Blue Leaves sequence was just over-the-top to the point of utter absurdity. And it was boring!

So I didn't watch any more Tarantino until Kill Bill 2 was on TV recently. It is MUCH better than 1. I actually loved the whole Michael Madsen part. And I thought the whole climactic scene with David Carradine was excellent.

So I tried to watch Kill Bill 1 again, but still found myself fast-forwarding through the Blue Leaves bit, while whistling the Benny Hill theme ...

Sounds like you prefer the spaghetti western theme to the asian one. They were both very different, I agree. Madsen is incredible. I had a Kill Bill night a few weekends ago. Had some friends over, watched them back to back. Some prefered KB1 others KB2 - I think KB2 is more realistic. The trailer scene with Hannah and Thurman - loved it. The black mambo in the suitcase of money - wow.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:28 pm

Zarles wrote:There's been talk of it for years. QT wants to use the same girl in the part, though, so there's the little matter of her growing up to be the right age.

I still wanna see the unshot scene of the fight/car chase between The Bride and GoGo Yubari's sister Yuki. Supposedly in the script, Yuki is stalking Beatrix in an ice cream truck, which is the reason why we hear that music outside Vernita Green's house at the very beginning of Volume I.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gogo_Yubari

Cool, I didn't know this. I'd like to see this as well.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Zarles on Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:30 pm

The trailer scene in V2 is incredible, but so is the training montage with Pai Mei at his temple. QT even used really shitty film stock on that part to make it look more authentic.

:: swats away long white beard ::

HA HA HA HA HA!!!
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:33 pm

Maui wrote:
minstrel wrote:I never got into Tarantino. I bought Kill Bill 1 to see what the fuss was all about. It started off well, but that House of Blue Leaves sequence was just over-the-top to the point of utter absurdity. And it was boring!

So I didn't watch any more Tarantino until Kill Bill 2 was on TV recently. It is MUCH better than 1. I actually loved the whole Michael Madsen part. And I thought the whole climactic scene with David Carradine was excellent.

So I tried to watch Kill Bill 1 again, but still found myself fast-forwarding through the Blue Leaves bit, while whistling the Benny Hill theme ...

Sounds like you prefer the spaghetti western theme to the asian one. They were both very different, I agree. Madsen is incredible. I had a Kill Bill night a few weekends ago. Had some friends over, watched them back to back. Some prefered KB1 others KB2 - I think KB2 is more realistic. The trailer scene with Hannah and Thurman - loved it. The black mambo in the suitcase of money - wow.

i really enjoy both, and i like the fact that they are different. for me, the showdown between O Ren and The Bride is near perfect, and the way things went down at the end of 2 with Bill and the Bride was as just as good.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Maui on Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:40 pm

Zarles wrote:The trailer scene in V2 is incredible, but so is the training montage with Pai Mei at his temple. QT even used really shitty film stock on that part to make it look more authentic.

HA HA HA HA HA!!!

You know one thing that I didn't notice, but saw in the special scenes on the DVD, is that the Pai Mei character also stars in KB1. He is the leader of the Crazy 88, the bald dude (the last one to be killed). As well, the sheriff at the chapel, also plays the Mexican dude (father figure to Bill) in KB2. Interesting little tidbits.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Peven on Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:42 pm

Maui wrote:
Zarles wrote:The trailer scene in V2 is incredible, but so is the training montage with Pai Mei at his temple. QT even used really shitty film stock on that part to make it look more authentic.

HA HA HA HA HA!!!

You know one thing that I didn't notice, but saw in the special scenes on the DVD, is that the Pai Mei character also stars in KB1. He is the leader of the Crazy 88, the bald dude (the last one to be killed). As well, the sheriff at the chapel, also plays the Mexican dude (father figure to Bill) in KB2. Interesting little tidbits.

aaahhh grasshopper, you come late to the table, eh? :wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby minstrel on Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:42 pm

Maui wrote:

I agree. The trailer fight was excellent - Hannah not being able to pull out the sword because the trailer was too narrow was a good joke. I loved the sort of justice of having Thurman win the fight by plucking Hannah's only eye out, after the whole history of how she lost her first eye was explained ... excellent!

The Pai Mei sequence was a bit self-indulgent (ok, a LOT self-indulgent) on QT's part. It's as if he thought, "OK, she's buried alive, now how does she get out? I know! Here's a HUGE LONG ULTRA-COOL FLASHBACK scene setting up her escape technique ...". It works, but only just barely.

All told, I think David Carradine owes QT a lot. QT wrote him a great role, and that was a huge gift at this point of Carradine's career.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Maui on Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:43 pm

Peven wrote:

Yeah I did. I hate that - but atleast I can admit my faux pas.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Peven on Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:49 pm

Maui wrote:
Peven wrote:
Maui wrote:

HA HA HA HA HA!!!

Yeah I did. I hate that - but atleast I can admit my faux pas.

no faux pas to admit, Maui. :D

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:36 pm

Zarles wrote:
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:From Dark Horizons: "Amazon.comcurrently lists a November 6th 2007 street date for a 4-disc, 247-minute Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair DVD set."

and

"The DVD release of "Grindhouse Presents Death Proof" is listed as a September 18th street date according to The Digital Bits.."

:: explodes in hysterical fit of joy ::

YAY!

I knew this would happen the minute we bought the ordinary release versions...we've held out for a long time. My sister is going to go on such a rant--maybe this will dampen her worship of Tarantino. :lol:
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Maui on Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:54 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:From Dark Horizons: "Amazon.comcurrently lists a November 6th 2007 street date for a 4-disc, 247-minute Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair DVD set."

and

"The DVD release of "Grindhouse Presents Death Proof" is listed as a September 18th street date according to The Digital Bits.."

Incredible news - thanks for the info! :D
Maui
WoWie

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:16 pm

tapehead wrote:(Who shot Nice Guy Eddie?)

didn't White get off multiple rounds, plugging both NGE & Joe?

Wiki wrote:In the script the standoff is not described. If one watches the film closely one can see that, in sequence:

1. Joe shoots Mr. Orange,
2. Mr. White then shoots and kills Joe for shooting Mr. Orange,
3. Eddie shoots Mr. White for shooting his father, and finally
4. Nice Guy Eddie falls apparently shot, by Mr White as he falls to ground from Eddie's shot.

The bullet hitting Eddie is not seen, although Mr. White's gun points in his direction and fires a round; the mistake was acknowledged by director Tarantino as an error involving blood squibs that did not go off.

no more Tarantino analysis from you Tape-y!

:D

oh and the trailer fight sequence in KBII? Totally tonally inspired by the trailer fight sequence in RAISING ARIZONA...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:33 pm

Maui wrote:

HA HA HA HA HA!!!

Yes, Pai Mei/Johnny Mo is played by the legendary Gordon Liu. He's also in one of the greatest martial arts flicks ever, The 36th Chamber of Shaolin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Liu
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:17 pm

minstrel wrote:So I tried to watch Kill Bill 1 again, but still found myself fast-forwarding through the Blue Leaves bit, while whistling the Benny Hill theme ...

Hahaha, every dvd should have the option to fast forward playing the Benny Hill theme.

Apart from that I totally disagree with minstrel, I found the beginning to be boring but liked the stuff in Japan.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:31 pm

Zarles wrote:He's also in one of the greatest martial arts flicks ever, The 36th Chamber of Shaolin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Liu

don't forget EIGHT DIAGRAM POLE-FIGHTER, which you can peep the dazzling ending to here.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:39 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
tapehead wrote:(Who shot Nice Guy Eddie?)

didn't White get off multiple rounds, plugging both NGE & Joe?

Wiki wrote:In the script the standoff is not described. If one watches the film closely one can see that, in sequence:

1. Joe shoots Mr. Orange,
2. Mr. White then shoots and kills Joe for shooting Mr. Orange,
3. Eddie shoots Mr. White for shooting his father, and finally
4. Nice Guy Eddie falls apparently shot, by Mr White as he falls to ground from Eddie's shot.

The bullet hitting Eddie is not seen, although Mr. White's gun points in his direction and fires a round; the mistake was acknowledged by director Tarantino as an error involving blood squibs that did not go off.

no more Tarantino analysis from you Tape-y!

:D

oh and the trailer fight sequence in KBII? Totally tonally inspired by the trailer fight sequence in RAISING ARIZONA...

I appreciate you enjoy using wiki to make yourself look smart, but the more common anecdote is that Penn's squib went off prematurely, and QT just decided to keep it in the movie, knowing that it would lead to endles geek speculation.

To quote the late, great, Chris Penn: "Nobody shot nice guy Eddie. It was a mistake. What was supposed to happen - and I don't know if Quentin's gonna like me giving this away, but it's too late now, he never told me not to - was Harvey Keitel was supposed to shoot Lawrence Tierney, then shoot me, then get squibbed.

But what happened was the squib (a small explosive charge resembling a bullet hit) on Harvey went right off after he shot Lawrence, so he went down, but my squib went off anyway, so I went down. So, basically nobody shot Nice Guy Eddie. Quentin said 'You know what? It'll be the biggest controversy of the film. We're leaving it.' He was definitely right ..."

Surely you've seen 'Who Shot Nice Guy Eddie?' t-shirts? They were a really popular item that year for hipster schmucks... I had one, and I would have almost bet cash money that you wore one around. That's right, it's a rhetorical question, that's why it's in parentheses and directed at no-one in particular. As to the speculation? look it up, there are websites and FAQs dedicated to the subject.

But frankly, I'd rather listen to this kind of speculation than hear another JFK 'magic bullet' theory again in my lifetime, and it could just as easily been Mr Pink right before he came out from under the ramp to grab the diamonds and get shot in the ass (or did he?) Hell, I've even had some pretty entertaining conversations on whether or not White offs Orange before he gets capped by the cops in that final shot of the movie...

My point being, its the parts of the plot left open to speculation that I enjoy with Reservoir Dogs, and indeed, I think it's a trait of QT's that he has continued in all his subsequent movies.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Zarles on Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:13 pm

Nice one, keepcool. Bits of the soundtrack from 8 Diagram Pole Fighter were actually used in Volume II, as well, mostly during the Pai Mei sequence. :)
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:22 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:oh and the trailer fight sequence in KBII? Totally tonally inspired by the trailer fight sequence in RAISING ARIZONA...

I'm going to check this out, as I own Raising.

What about the trailer scene at the very end of Monsters Inc. when they beat up Randall Boggs, that too? :wink:
Maui
WoWie

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:33 pm

Zarles wrote:Bits of the soundtrack from 8 Diagram Pole Fighter were actually used in Volume II, as well, mostly during the Pai Mei sequence. :)

now that I did not know; cool, geeky intel with that tidbit mate.

Maui wrote:I'm going to check this out, as I own Raising.

lots of similarities, and I think QT himself acknowledged the shout-out...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:17 pm

Cheers, mate. If you listen close to that clip you posted the link to, you can hear a few bits that were used. There's a few flourishes here and there that were definitely used in both movies...
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:20 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
lots of similarities, and I think QT himself acknowledged the shout-out...

Tis a shame. I certainly like originality. But if they copy on purpose, that's ok, if done correctly.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:24 pm

oh definitely, and since the situations are different, I would call it a homage, despite QT's insistence that he just steals...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: THE FILMS OF QUENTIN TARANTINO

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:32 am

From AICN Aug 10, 2001:
Harry talks to Quentin Tarantino about KILL BILL, GLORIOUS BASTARDS and QTV!!!

Hey folks, Harry here... Just got off the phone with Tarantino, where we had a multi-hour geek out about films, talked about his upcoming back to back original from the hand of Quentin epics and well.. just shot the shit so to say...

Ok, first off you should know that the phone that records conversations died on me, so I was left with paper and my memory, so this isn't as fully detailed as I hoped, but hey... I've got the skinny on what's going on...

First off, KILL BILL is Quentin's GRINDHOUSE movie... "It's 30 years of Grindhouse Movie Going Squeezed in A Duck Press!" Now what is a Grindhouse movie you ask? It is pure exploitation joy... Kung Fu, Sex, Revenge, Murder, Blood Gorged Frames, Fast Cars, Fast Women, and a pumping pulsing soundtrack that makes your dick or nipples hard. Grindhouse filmmaking was low budget HIGH THRILLS, and Quentin is aiming to make the EPIC of the Genre.

Now, is Quentin recasting? First off he's been delighted about the rumors online and in press. When that Lucy Liu rumor hit he nearly pissed himself laughing. He has written a small role for Lucy Liu, specifically for her in the film. He went to dinner with her, read her the scene, and he figures someone saw him and figured... Lucy Liu is replacing Uma... Wrong he says. He also said that Lucy hasn't accepted yet, hasn't signed yet, but hopes she will.

As for Uma? Well, KILL BILL was a project that Quentin came up with to work with Uma again, during PULP FICTION. He and Uma went out and hung out on the set and restaurants and would talk about the idea. It was to be the ultimate revenge flick, the ultimate Grindhouse film. And it was Uma's idea to make her character.... 'THE BRIDE' because she thought it would look best to see her bloodied up in a... well as Billy Idol would say, "A WHITE WEDDINNNNNGGG DRESSSSS!"

Now, Quentin told me that he was running about with PULP FICTION hitting festivals and such, and was tinkering with the ideas for KILL BILL... He went to Stockholm and wrote 30 pages, he was really really into the script, but it came time to shoot FOUR ROOMS... "Yet another reason to hate 4 ROOMS," he said laughing... He was very excited about the idea of making his GRINDHOUSE film... but that's when Robert Rodriguez read FROM DUSK TILL DAWN and wanted to make that, and sine that was a 'Grindhouse-type' of film, Quentin didn't want to make two in a row. So he did JACKIE BROWN... Setting KILL BILL down figuring that he'd get back to it, "It's not like I was going anywhere."

Well after JACKIE BROWN he got interested in the idea of doing Guys on a Mission War Flick (aka GLORIOUS BASTARDS). For 6 months after JACKIE BROWN he started doing research for the film... living in the war history books. He then spent nearly a year (I think that's what he said, may have been a year and a half) writing GLORIOUS BASTARDS when he bumped back into Uma and she got him fired up to do KILL BILL again. He felt that it was time to make one for the fans and, "KILL BILL is one for the fans!" He hatched the plan to do 2 films back to back. Back to Back epics. KILL BILL and GLORIOUS BASTARDS. So he set out to finish both scripts and then go at it... back to back. Folks want him making films... Well he'd give them 2 in a row.

Well, it looked like KILL BILL was getting finished first, so he decided it was time to shoot... when he learns UMA was pregnant at Cannes this year. Suddenly, "It was like God was saying, 'remember that idea of finishing two scripts and going back to back? That was my idea, and it was a good idea, and you're doing it!' So that's what we're going to do!"

Quentin finished KILL BILL 2 weeks ago, and a few of his friends have read it. He's taking August off... vacation, come down to Austin to do his festival... recharge the batteries. Then he'll finish the War Script around mid-November. Uma's gonna have her baby. By March of next year, his actresses (many of them) will begin major combat training... SAMURAI, KUNG FU and a whole slew of special stuff he has planned. They'll start shooting in June. Finish the film. He'll be taking the movie out to festivals like he did with PULP FICTION... meaning he'll probably be taking it to CANNES, VENICE, etc... the same places he took PULP most likely. While he's doing that Lawrence Bender will be prepping and location scouting and pre-production on GLORIOUS BASTARDS. By late that Summer/Beginning of the Fall… he’ll begin shooting GLORIOUS BASTARDS, during which he’ll have to take a week off to do talk shows and such to promote KILL BILL. And he’ll finish GLORIOUS BASTARDS by the end of 2003.

So that’s the plan. KILL BILL will be shot in Japan, Hong Kong, Mexico, Texas, Los Angeles… all over. As apparently ‘The Bride’ will be going from place to place for some undisclosed reason, but I’m sure it has something to do with exacting revenge and kicking ass.

At this point I asked Quentin about the Universes that his films take place in. To which Quentin broke it down like so…

JACKIE BROWN takes place in Elmore Leonard’s Universe… not his.

TRUE ROMANCE, RESERVOIR DOGS and PULP FICTION take place in Quentin Universe #1. This universe is REALER THAN REAL.

Meanwhile: His original NATURAL BORN KILLERS script and FROM DUSK TILL DAWN take place in Quentin Universe #2 which is the MOVIE MOVIE universe.

Now according to Quentin, there are specific rules that govern these two Universes of his. For example… Characters from Universe #1 cannot venture into Universe #2, but say Mr Blonde can appear in Pulp Fiction, and Clarence could appear in Res Dogs, but Vincent Vega could never meet the Gecko Brothers or Mickey and Mallory. And in Universe #2 those characters can’t venture into Universe #1, but can go between the films in their universe. Why is this important?

Well, KILL BILL takes place in the MOVIE MOVIE universe… where it is possible that Mickey and Mallory could exist… or the Gecko Brothers. BUT, also in the Movie Movie universe, characters from other movies… folks like BILLY JACK or SHAFT… well they exist in the Movie Movie universe as well. So if Quentin wanted Bruce Lee’s Chen Zhen from FIST OF FURY to appear in KILL BILL… then Chen Zhen could appear, not that Chen Zhen will appear… but it is within the realm of possibility.

GLORIOUS BASTARDS is in Universe #1, the REALER THAN REAL universe, but due to it being set in World War 2, I’d bet money that we won’t see Mr White here. But perhaps his granddad… hehehe…

Quentin then states that there is only ONE character in his Universe that can disobey these rules and that is THE WOLF. THE WOLF can go between the universes because while he exists in the REALER THAN REAL universe… He’s a MOVIE MOVIE character that just exists in reality. And I do not know if he’s in KILL BILL, but I think it odd that he point this out… unless it is possible.

Now, the characters in Universe #1… if they were to go see a movie… They would see the movies of Universe #2.

Next Quentin and I talked about the films for QT5… a top secret list, that well… by god, it’s going to be quite something. The most interesting aspect of it all is that Quentin is going to show a couple of flicks that some would think uncharacteristic of him. In a way, the festival is a preview of KILL BILL… the underlying theme across all other themes is REVENGE.. Revenge in Westerns, Sci Fi, Kung Fu, Good Ol Boys, Sex-n-Violence, and Italian Crime… REVENGE is the order of business. And folks… this year’s fest also has a heavy Hong Kong flavor, both modern and of yesteryear…

I will say this… Quentin is quite giddy about these next two films. The first two films he’s written exclusively for the screen not from pre-existing material since PULP FICTION. He feels the scripts have been a long time coming but "They have been worth it!" He knows that the scripts will most likely leak out onto the Internet, but he feels… Like with Sam Hamm’s fantastic BATMAN script, "Everyone I knew had that script a year and a half before the film came out, and we all went to the film and were pissed that it wasn’t the movie we read. Well, KILL BILL is that movie that you wished you were going to see. It’s that cool script that stays a cool film!"

Folks… Uma’s pregnancy has delayed things a bit, but by the time 2003 hits, we’ll see one new Quentin film, and a second will be in the can, awaiting post-production for release 2004. He’s taken his time and feels he has something very special for film goers. And he wanted all of you to know it first!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:17 pm

papalazeru wrote:Tarantino Mixtape

Very enjoyable.

Eclectic Method - The Tarantino Mixtape
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:09 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown Blu-rays

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:44 am

Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown Blu-rays
This October, two of Miramax's most beloved catalog titles will make their Blu-ray debuts: Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction and its 1997 followup Jackie Brown. Tarantino's award-winning crime dramas have long been unavailable on Blu-ray in the United States; Lionsgate will update them for the high-def format on October 4th, 2011.

Lionsgate has not released any information concerning the discs' technical and supplemental specifications - the earlier Miramax "Collector's Edition" DVDs had a good deal of vintage and retrospective footage on the making of the two films - so check back later for more information.

Early reports do seem to suggest one key detail: Jackie Brown's initial Blu-ray run will be as a Wal-Mart exclusive title.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown Blu-rays

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:58 am

From AICN:
Blu-ray News!! Tarantino’s PULP FICTION And JACKIE BROWN Hit HD Discs In Two Months And Nine Days!!

IGN Exclusive:
Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown Come to Blu
Cindy White wrote:It's time to check off another title from our old list of 25 Movies We Want on Blu-ray, with the announcement of Pulp Fiction on Blu-ray. We've also word of a second title from director Quentin Tarantino, Jackie Brown. Both will be coming from Lionsgate on Oct. 4, 2011, and retailing for a downright reasonable price of $19.99 each.

The films will get the remastering treatment supervised by Tarantino himself. They'll feature brand new 1080p prints and lossless audio. There will also be new bonus material, including retrospective cast interviews for Pulp Fiction and a look at critical reactions then and now for both films.

As explained in the official synopsis, Pulp Fiction follows a pair of low-rent hit men, Vincent Vega (John Travolta) and Jules Winnfield (Samuel L. Jackson), who are sent out to collect a stolen briefcase for their mob boss employer, Marsellus Wallace (Ving Rhames). Having proven himself worthy, Wallace then entrusts Vincent to entertain his wife, Mia (Uma Thurman), while he is out of town. Meanwhile, Wallace has paid off aging boxer Butch Coolidge (Bruce Willis) to throw his next fight. The lives of these wildly entertaining characters intertwine with unexpected and violent consequences.

Here are the special features included (subject to change):

* Retrospective Cast Interviews (New)
    * Critics Corner: Then and Now (New)
    * "Pulp Fiction: The Facts" featurette
    * Deleted Scenes
    * Behind the Scenes Montages
    * Production Design featurette
    * Siskel and Ebert "At the Movies" – The Tarantino Generation
    * Independent Spirit Awards
    * Cannes Film Festival – Palm d'Or Acceptance Speech
    * Charlie Rose Show – Interview with Quentin Tarantino
    * Theatrical Trailers and TV Spots
    * Stills Gallery

Jackie Brown, meanwhile, was Tarantino's love letter to the blaxploitation genre and starred one of its most iconic figures, Pam Grier. She plays a flight attendant who moonlights as a drug mule and gets caught in a plot between the police and an arms dealer. With half a million dollars at stake and six unlikely players out to make the big score, alliances are shaky and it's not always clear who is playing and who is getting played.

And here's what's included on this release:

* Critic's Corner: Then and Now – (New)
    * "Jackie Brown: How It Went Down" featurette
    * "A Look Back at Jackie Brown" – Interview with Quentin Tarantino
    * Chicks With Guns Video
    * Siskel & Ebert "At the Movies" – Jackie Brown Review
    * Jackie Brown on MTV
    * Theatrical Trailer and TV Spots
    * Stills Gallery
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:15 am

I probably haven't watched Pulp Fiction in close to ten years...I think I'll pick this bluray up for sure. The extras sound pretty cool (although my tolerance level for listening to Tarantino ramble is very, very low).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:07 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:51 pm

You all know how much I hate that guy's movies, but I recently learned that his SCRIPTS are actually seriously good. I read out of pure curiosity the script for PULP FICTION and it was a very entertaining and well written read. I then decided to continue with DJANGO UNCHAINED and it made me want to watch the movie for a second. But then I remembered all the shit I hate about his movies, so I guess I won't watch it. Ever.
But seriously, I always said that his movies work best, when someone else directs them (like FROM DUSK TILL DAWN or TRUE ROMANCE) and this is actually the proof. People say that even a shit director can make a great movie with the right script, but that is just not true!* And I hope the day will come when Tarantino lets someone else direct one of his scripts again.

*In fact, it's more the other way. A bad script can be a great movie with a good director.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:56 am

You've got me curious.

Which directors would you rather have directed Tarantino's scripts?
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Peven on Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:33 pm

well, I love Tarantino movies, almost all of them. I even dug 'Four Rooms". I think if someone doesn't like his movies it is a matter of aesthetic taste, not his problem, and there are obviously many people who really enjoy his work. BUT.......it is kind of fun to think about which director you would choose to helm a particular Tarantino film. I think DePalma would have to be in there somewhere, "Reservoir Dogs" or "Pulp Fiction", the Coens would be a great fit for "Pulp Fiction" or "Jackie Brown", Michael Mann for "Kill Bill", if we are doing wish list then I would say Peckinpah for "Inglorious Basterds" but if we are sticking to who would have been possible...hhmmm, Mel Gibson :wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:35 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:You've got me curious.

Which directors would you rather have directed Tarantino's scripts?

To be honest, I don't know. Tony Scott and Robert Rodriguez made some seriously kick-ass movies out of DAWN and ROMANCE, but that was a.) both at points in their career when their filmatism was way more focused than it is today* and b.) we are also talking about early scripts of Tarantino. I haven't read the scripts for these movies (or RESERVOIR DOGS), but I wouldn't be surprised if they are shorter and more focused either. (As much as I enjoyed reading the PULP and DJANGO scripts, they could still lose lots of studly).

So the key is "focus". It should be someone who isn't afraid of cutting everything that doesn't drive the plot forward. As Peven said, the Coens could work, but I think it would be weird to hear Tarantino dialogue in a Coen film. Seriously, right now I can't think of anyone specific.

*I know, Scott is unfortunately dead, but before that his style turned into something way different. (And not necessarily good.)
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Peven on Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:41 pm

see, I happen to think the second half of "From Dusk to Dawn", which Rodriguez directed, is easily the weakest half of the movie, just a lot of cheap visual gimmicks, which is what Rodriguez does, he is nowhere close to being in the same league as Tarantino

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Bloo on Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:32 pm

I would probably go with Soderbergh for Jackie Brown as he made one of, if not the best, of Elmore Leonard's adaptations with Out Of Sight
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:03 am

After thinking about it, I would really love to see Danny Boyle direct a Tarantino script. Or Oliver Hirschbiegel. Maybe even Joe Wright, but the only movie of his that I saw so far was HANNA. Based on that one and its surreal and dreamlike, yet fast paced style, he seems like a good choice, though. EDGAR Wright might be a good choice too. He will probably direct the script more obviously comedic, but at least the humor would work.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Peven on Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:50 am

Danny Boyle is a good choice, he would make a really good movie out of a Tarantino script, I bet

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:03 pm

Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Bloo on Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:54 pm

Peven wrote:Danny Boyle is a good choice, he would make a really good movie out of a Tarantino script, I bet

thus raises the question, would Danny Boyle have gotten the start he did without Tarantino's influence on Hollywood? Obviously Boyle has moved beyond his roots but I remember when he first came on the scene, he was kind of heralded as a British Tarantino.
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:25 am

Yeah, but back in the days EVERY young and hip director was at one point the (insert nationality or just the term "new" here) ________________ Tarantino.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:04 am

Boyle made Shallow Grave and Trainspotting without Hollywood.
With Hollywood, he made The Beach.
Hollywood has a lot of explaining to do.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:56 pm

Peven wrote:if we are doing wish list then I would say Peckinpah for "Inglorious Basterds" but if we are sticking to who would have been possible...hhmmm, Mel Gibson :wink:

a mel gibson version of inglorious basterds would be interesting.... half the film would be in german, and the other half in hebrew.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:57 am

I'm right now slapping myself, because I didn't think earlier of the one and only Alex de la Iglesia.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:29 am

I dug Verhoeven's work on BLACK BOOK, so I would've been cool with a Verhoeven-directed BASTERDS.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby travis-dane on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:31 am

TheBaxter wrote:
Peven wrote:if we are doing wish list then I would say Peckinpah for "Inglorious Basterds" but if we are sticking to who would have been possible...hhmmm, Mel Gibson :wink:

a mel gibson version of inglorious basterds would be interesting.... half the film would be in german, and the other half in hebrew.

And the jews would have been the Nazis.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby tapehead on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:25 pm

Great interview with Howard Stern.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Re: QT's 'Django Unchained'

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:43 pm

Your list and my list begin and end the same way.

I haven't gotten around to ranking the stuff in between. It's all good.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:05 am

I too can agree that JACKIE BROWN is Quinty's best and DEATH PROOF is his worst (since we're not going to count NATURAL BORN KILLERS because that might actually be the worst; I'm willing to side with Quinty that it's Oliver Stone's fault that that movie unbearable).

I'd probably go:

1. Jackie Brown
2. Django Unchained
3. Inglorious Basterds
4. Pulp Fiction
5. Kill Bill (I'll count it as one movie)
6. Resevoir Dogs
7. True Romance
8. Death Proof
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby travis-dane on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:09 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:I too can agree that JACKIE BROWN is Quinty's best and DEATH PROOF is his worst (since we're not going to count NATURAL BORN KILLERS because that might actually be the worst; I'm willing to side with Quinty that it's Oliver Stone's fault that that movie unbearable).

I'd probably go:

1. Jackie Brown
2. Django Unchained
3. Inglorious Basterds
4. Pulp Fiction
5. Kill Bill (I'll count it as one movie)
6. Resevoir Dogs
7. True Romance
8. Death Proof

My top three are Basterds, Django and Kill Bill. I prefer Pulp to Jackie. Dogs is great in it's own raw way but I like the newer Tarantino movies best.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:26 pm

I watched PULP FICTION and RESERVOIR DOGS again recently, along with the KILL BILLs, so I think that's helped put things in perspective a bit. I guess my list would go something like this:

1. JACKIE BROWN
2. DJANGO UNCHAINED
3. PULP FICTION
4. KILL BILL 1&2 (they can fight over this slot, but they're about equal)
5. INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS
6. RESERVOIR DOGS
7. DEATH PROOF

That looks about right to me.

While I enjoy INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS and it has a lot of great stuff in it, basically it's a mess. And Tarantino recycled music he used in KILL BILL which always bugged me. So even though it doesn't have dialogue that can annoy me like in KILL BILL, I still put it under those movies because I thought they were much more focused and better constructed.

PULP FICTION is higher on the list than it would have been a couple years ago, but I really liked it this last time. Stuff that used to annoy me doesn't now (basically Uma Thurman's entire performance). And it feels really different from everything else he's done somehow. I can't put my finger in it.

I watched RESERVOIR DOGS last night and it is showing its age. The acting and line delivery is pretty stilted. Sounds very written, which isn't necessarily bad, but sometimes it seems like the actors are stumbling over their words. Also, I think the film could have used some ADR in places, because it's hard to hear what they're saying sometimes, especially at the beginning. I'll point my finger most directly at Tarantino who is just way too quiet and doesn't seem to be enunciating properly. Chalk it up to inexperience and bad acting. It's not a bad film, but it's a first film. And a clunky one.

DEATH PROOF will always be his worst. Really it should be twentieth on that list. I'll watch it again some day. Maybe my heart will soften and I will see it in a new light. I fucking doubt it.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

PreviousNext

Return to Director Discussion