THE FILMS OF QUENTIN TARANTINO

Which director made the best films, made the best visuals, or smelled the best? This is the forum to find out.

Whats Your Favorite Tarantino Film?

Reservoir Dogs
13%
True Romance (screenplay)
No votes
Pulp Fiction
38%
Jackie Brown
25%
Kill Bill 1/2
No votes
Deathproof
No votes
Django Unchained
No votes
Inglorious Basterds
25%

Total votes : 8

Re: QT's 'Django Unchained'

Postby so sorry on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:16 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I watched RESERVOIR DOGS last night and it is showing its age. The acting and line delivery is pretty stilted. Sounds very written, which isn't necessarily bad, but sometimes it seems like the actors are stumbling over their words. Also, I think the film could have used some ADR in places, because it's hard to hear what they're saying sometimes, especially at the beginning. I'll point my finger most directly at Tarantino who is just way too quiet and doesn't seem to be enunciating properly. Chalk it up to inexperience and bad acting. It's not a bad film, but it's a first film. And a clunky one.

Haven't watched RD in a looong time, but I remember LOVING the scene where Tim Roth practices his drug smuggling story. The back and forth between him talking to the other cop, talking to himself, and imaging it in his head: really fucking cool.

caruso_stalker217 wrote:DEATH PROOF will always be his worst. Really it should be twentieth on that list. I'll watch it again some day. Maybe my heart will soften and I will see it in a new light. I fucking doubt it.

Amen brother.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:19 pm

The Commode Story sequence is still great.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Re: THE FILMS OF QUENTIN TARANTINO

Postby so sorry on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:23 pm

MOD EDIT: I moved the last few posts that talked about QT's filmography from the Django Thread to this one.

Poll updated too...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:32 pm

Good idea.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:37 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:While I enjoy INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS and it has a lot of great stuff in it, basically it's a mess. And Tarantino recycled music he used in KILL BILL which always bugged me. So even though it doesn't have dialogue that can annoy me like in KILL BILL, I still put it under those movies because I thought they were much more focused and better constructed.

Can't really argue with that. On the level of plotting and pacing KILL BILL is a solidly built film and BASTERDS is a fucking mess. But KILL BILL has a lot cringe-inducing shit in it, the worst BASTERDS ever gets is boring (prettymuch whenever Shoshona and/or Zoller come on screen), so I rank BASTERDS higher because it's got more charming and entertaining scenes and characters. Plus the historical revisionist shit is hilarious.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

I think a lot of it depends on the mood I'm in at the time I'm watching the films, but KILL BILL annoyed me a lot less this time around. I also watched them back to back, which I think worked out really well. VOL. 1 has a lot of cringe-worthy dialogue and I still don't buy Uma Thurman as a badass (when she speaks, anyway), but the entire last forty or fifty minutes is flawless filmmaking in my opinion and the Bride/O-Ren fight at the end is fantastic. VOL. 2 also improves the more I watch it. Again, a lot of Uma's performance bugged me, especially during the talky climax, but Carradine balanced it out for me. And I doubt Michael Madsen has ever been better than he is in that film. I still think Budd is one of Tarantino's best and most complex characters.

You're right about BASTERDS. It's one charming motherfucking pig.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Fievel on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:31 pm

I like how everyone skips his entry in Four Rooms.

I saw it when it first hit VHS and after seeing it wanted to immediately take a screwdriver to my eyes, ears, and another extra-long one up through my nose to my brain. I have no intentions of ever seeing it again. I know he made it, but for me - it doesn't exist. If I ever find myself loaded with cash and become some kind of collector film snob, I still won't buy it.

His CSI episode was a billion times better and much more deserving of a spot on my mantle than that turd.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby travis-dane on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:43 pm

Fievel wrote:I like how everyone skips his entry in Four Rooms.

I saw it when it first hit VHS and after seeing it wanted to immediately take a screwdriver to my eyes, ears, and another extra-long one up through my nose to my brain. I have no intentions of ever seeing it again. I know he made it, but for me - it doesn't exist. If I ever find myself loaded with cash and become some kind of collector film snob, I still won't buy it.

His CSI episode was a billion times better and much more deserving of a spot on my mantle than that turd.

Well, he also directed a piece of SIN CITY and an episode of Emergency Room. I thought he did an Baywatch ep too, but it seems not.
I hope they let him do an Bond movie someday.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:45 pm

I still haven't seen FOUR ROOMS, so I can't comment.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:45 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:PULP FICTION is higher on the list than it would have been a couple years ago, but I really liked it this last time. Stuff that used to annoy me doesn't now (basically Uma Thurman's entire performance). And it feels really different from everything else he's done somehow. I can't put my finger in it.

Nic Cage needed to be in this movie somewhere. He'd work in the Walken role, but more likely in Quinty's role as Jimmy The Yuppie. Can you imagine that shit? Instead of Quinty looking all smug delivering his own dialogue we could've had Cage shouting at the top of his lungs "MY GARRRRRRAAAAAAGE ISN'T FOR STORING DEAD NIGGERS!"
Last edited by Spandau Belly on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:46 pm

travis-dane wrote:I hope they let him do an Bond movie someday.

I would kill for this to happen. But it won't, no matter how many people I kill.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:04 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:PULP FICTION is higher on the list than it would have been a couple years ago, but I really liked it this last time. Stuff that used to annoy me doesn't now (basically Uma Thurman's entire performance). And it feels really different from everything else he's done somehow. I can't put my finger in it.

Nic Cage needed to be in this movie somewhere. He'd work in the Walken role, but more likely in Quinty's role as Jimmy The Yuppie. Can you imagine that shit? Instead of Quinty looking all smug delivering his own dialogue we could've had Cage shouting at the top of his lungs "MY GARRRRRRAAAAAAGE ISN'T FOR STORING DEAD NIGGERS!"

I've always thought that Nic Cage needed to work with Tarantino at some point. If he had played Jimmy like Bad Lieutenant, that would have been magic.

What is your signature from, by the way?
caruso_stalker217

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:18 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:What is your signature from, by the way?

SEX & FURY, the film that united Japan and Sweden's exploitation queens, Reiko Ike and Christina Lindberg. Sadly, Pam Grier didn't get in on the act to represent the USA. They could've been like the 3 musketeers except fuckable.

I recently got around to seeing the sequel, FEMALE YAKUZA TALE: INTEROGATION & TORTURE and although it had one of the more outrageous climaxes I've seen in a movie, it lacked the overall elegance of the first film and went flat more often.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:36 pm

I am watching this tonight. I always trust your judgment when it comes to exploitation action cinema.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:37 am

my rankings:

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Django Unchained
3. Inglorious Basterds
4. Kill Bill 1
5. Kill Bill 2
6. Jackie Brown
7. Reservoir Dogs
8,000,000. Death Proof

I didn't think that anything would ever get close to Pulp Fiction, but I liked Django a whole hell of a lot. It's very close. And honestly, only hundredths of a point separate 3-7 in my mind.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:44 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:6. Jackie Brown

I don't even know who you are, man.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheButcher on Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:24 am

Italian Composer Ennio Morricone: I'll Never Work With Tarantino Again
Eric J. Lyman wrote:ROME – Ennio Morricone, the prolific Italian composer and conductor who has written many of the most recognizable film scores in history, says he will never again work with director Quentin Tarantino because he "places music in his films without coherence."

Morricone’s work most recently appeared in Tarantino's Django Unchained, the homage to the Spaghetti Western genre Morricone help popularize in the 1960s with classics including The Good The Bad and the Ugly (1966) and A Fistful of Dollars (1964), both directed by Sergio Leone.

Morricone also wrote most of the award-winning soundtrack for Leone's epic Once Upon a Time in America.

The Django Unchanged soundtrack included Morricone’s "Ancora Qui," sung by Elisa Toffoli, along with three short Morricone instrumental pieces.

Morricone and Tarantino actively worked together on Inglourious Basterds, Tarantino’s 2009 reinterpretation of the end of World War II, and on both installments of the Kill Bill franchise.

But it’ll never happen again, according to the 84-year-old Morricone, who has written music for more than 500 films.

“I wouldn’t like to work with him again, on anything,” Morricone told students in a music, film and television class at Rome’s LUISS University, according to Italian media reports Friday. “He said last year he wanted to work with me again ever since Inglourious Basterds, but I told him I couldn't, because he didn’t give me enough time. So he just used a song I had written previously.”

Tarantino is frustrating to work with, Morricone said, observing that the two-time Oscar winner “places music in his films without coherence" and "you can't do anything with someone like that."

Morricone said he saw Django Unchained but was not impressed: "To tell the truth, I didn't care for it," he said. "Too much blood

Morricone’s credits list includes films with iconic directors on both sides of the Atlantic, such as Europeans Bernardo Bertolucci, Pier Paolo Pasolini, horror master Dario Argento, Pedro Almodovar, Giuseppe Tornatore and Sergio Corbucci, the director of the original Django film, as well as Oliver Stone, Terrence Malick, Brian De Palma and Barry Levinson from Hollywood.

After receiving five Oscar nominations for Best Musical Score between 1979 and 2001, Morricone was given an honorary Oscar in 2007, for lifetime achievement. He has also won nine David di Donatello awards, Italy’s highest film honors.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:53 am

I read that story on IMDB and the comments that followed mostly just ripped Morricone a new asshole. But kudos to him for taking a stand for what he truly believes.
Last edited by Fievel on Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:22 am

Quentin Tarantino Shelves ‘The Hateful Eight’ After Betrayal Results In Script Leak
MIKE FLEMING JR wrote:EXCLUSIVE:
Learning today that his script The Hateful Eight leaked after he gave it to a small circle of actors, Quentin Tarantino tells me that he’s so upset that he has decided that he will not direct that film next. So basically that means the conversation that will be circulating around town following this story with Tarantino goes from an ensemble Western to a whodunit. As in, which actor or their reps leaked the script that, as a result, is going on the shelf — literally a bookstore shelf, because Tarantino tells me he will publish it first and maybe revisit the prospect of a movie in the next five years.

“I’m very, very depressed,” Tarantino said. “I finished a script, a first draft, and I didn’t mean to shoot it until next winter, a year from now. I gave it to six people, and apparently it’s gotten out today.” He learned that when his longtime agent Mike Simpson began getting phone calls from agents looking to pitch their clients for roles in the ensemble Western.

So who could have done this? “I gave it to one of the producers on Django Unchained, Reggie Hudlin, and he let an agent come to his house and read it,” Tarantino said. “That’s a betrayal, but not crippling because the agent didn’t end up with the script. There is an ugly maliciousness to the rest of it. I gave it to three actors: Michael Madsen, Bruce Dern, Tim Roth. The one I know didn’t do this is Tim Roth. One of the others let their agent read it, and that agent has now passed it on to everyone in Hollywood. I don’t know how these fucking agents work, but I’m not making this next. I’m going to publish it, and that’s it for now. I give it out to six people, and if I can’t trust them to that degree, then I have no desire to make it. I’ll publish it. I’m done. I’ll move on to the next thing. I’ve got 10 more where that came from.”

brucedernTarantino told me he suspects the dispersal came from CAA, which reps Dern. I spoke to someone inside CAA I trust, and they vehemently denied they could have been the source. They noted that a problem is that Tarantino possibly dispersed the script himself, without a watermark that usually prevents someone from secretly dispersing the screenplay. Because of that, this is an unsolvable breach. It would be difficult to prove anyway, because if an agent asked an assistant to copy a script, and that assistant shared it with peers at other agencies, and it suddenly found its way to a blogger, the agent would not even know they’d unwittingly put the screenplay into circulation.

This is an odd story. Usually when a guy like me gets the call from a major director like Tarantino and walks away with a seismic story like this, it’s a good day. I must admit, I spent most of the phone call trying to talk Tarantino out of dumping the project. I want to see the movie, and I truly want to see the 77-year-old Dern get another chance to shine in a killer lead role after his brilliant turn in Nebraska. Tarantino said that he loves Dern, and likely will write him a big role in the film he’ll do instead. He would not divulge any details, even the genre of this other project. Given what happened here, who can blame Tarantino?

The filmmaker acknowledges that this is mostly about feeling betrayed, because he does not have an aversion to the inevitable blogger evaluation of his screenplays. He just cannot believe it’s going to happen this early in the process, when he has just begun talking to Harvey Weinstein about how they’re going to make it.

“I am not talking out of both sides of my mouth, because I do like the fact that everyone eventually posts it, gets it and reviews it on the net,” Tarantino said. “Frankly, I wouldn’t want it any other way. I like the fact that people like my shit, and that they go out of their way to find it and read it. But I gave it to six motherfucking people! Starting this week, I’ll be setting meetings with publishers.”
Last edited by TheButcher on Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:15 am

I have to say, this is both strange and disappointing. I really think Quinty is at home in western genre and was looking forward to him spending more time there. Honestly, I think he could spend the rest of his career making westerns and I'd probably be happy with that.

But I don't really get why he's soooooo upset. I get that it's unprofessional for agents to leak scripts, but I don't get why that's such a profound betrayal that he can't even imagine working with the actors these guys represent.
Last edited by Spandau Belly on Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Fievel on Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:43 am

I think he should write a movie about this "betrayal" and it should be in the style of a Mexican soap opera in the late 70's/early 80's.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Al Shut on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:41 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:But I don't really get why he's soooooo upset. I get that it's unprofessional for agents leak scripts, but I don't get why that's such a profound betrayal that he can't even imagine working with the actors these guys represent.

I'm a bit puzzled by this whole story too, but then again whatever is going on in Quentin Tarantinos head has always been a mystery to me.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby so sorry on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:41 pm

Fievel wrote:I think he should write a movie about this "betrayal" and it should be in the style of a Mexican soap opera in the late 70's/early 80's.

Inglorioso Betrayul :wink:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

'The Hateful Eight' script leak

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:38 am

Quentin Tarantino has pulled the plug on 'The Hateful Eight' after a script leak
What makes this particular leak different?

Moriarty wrote:At this point, there are several familiar stages in the life-cycle of a new film by Quentin Tarantino. There's the part the general public is part of, involving the trailers, the press screenings, and the eventual release. But well before that, another cycle has become somewhat set in stone, starting with the moment that each screenplay leaks.

It happened on "Kill Bill." It happened on "Inglorious Basterds." And it happened on "Django Unchained" at a speed that seemed to shock even Tarantino.

Now word has broken that the cycle was accelerated to a point that has infuriated the filmmaker, and as a result, it appears that "The Hateful Eight" will no longer be his next film. Right now, fingers are being pointed, and I can't wait to see how this story unfolds because someone is going to end up being blamed for this film going down in flames before it even set a cast in stone.

The story broke this afternoon on Deadline Hollywood while I was sitting in a Sundance screening of the directorial debut of David Cross. Considering I had checked my e-mail moments before the screening began, the speed of this story's development is somewhat shocking. Speaking to Mike Fleming, Tarantino explained that he gave the script to Reginald Hudlin, who co-produced "Django Unchained," and Hudlin let an agent read the script at his house. Tarantino seems confident that the Hudlin copy is not how the leak occurred, pointing the finger instead at Michael Madsen and Bruce Dern. Tim Roth was the third actor who was given a copy of the script, but Tarantino seems confident it was not Roth.

Here's the thing… I've certainly been responsible for leaking way more than my fair share of information over the last 15 years, and I have driven filmmakers insane at times. Even so, I have happily told any of them who have asked me that there is a way to stop the flow of information, and it's not an answer that makes them very happy. Bottom line: don't give an agency your script. If it is important to you to keep a secret, the number one primary source of all information leaks in Hollywood is from the agencies. Always has been. Every script I've ever seen leaked came directly from some assistant with access to a copy machine.

There is a way to keep something locked down. Ask Christopher Nolan's team how they do it. If you need to audition actors for a part, write a scene that features the same dynamic between characters, the same emotional beats, but write it using characters who aren't in your movie, and make sure there's no information in the scene that has anything to do with your actual movie.

Beyond that? Watermark everything. That doesn't always work, of course. I would imagine one of the things that infuriated Tom Rothman most during our various engagements over the years was that the script I had for "The Fountain," a leak that alternately helped and upset Darren Aronofsky, had a big giant "Tom Rothman" printed on every single page. When I was on the set of the film, Darren and his co-writer Ari Handel signed the script for me, and they both took careful note of that watermark.

I would be perfectly happy working in a system where filmmakers kept their secrets and films arrived in theaters with all of their mysteries intact. I never set out to be the guy who has access to every single secret. Working in Los Angeles since the early '90s, though, I ended up with information flowing steadily to me years before I even had access to the Internet. I have never consciously set out to crack a particular film or to chase down a particular filmmaker, and there have been times where I've written about things and later regretted the impact that I had on the development process.

With Tarantino, I've seen an evolution happen. "Pulp Fiction" was in production at a point when he was still considered a cult success at best. No matter how influential we consider "Reservoir Dogs" now, it didn't set the box-office on fire, and it wasn't a monster cultural sensation. Even so, Jersey Films locked that script down, and even the people working on it, many of which were friends of mine at the time, took the idea of keep the film's secrets seriously. When Tarantino was gearing up on "Kill Bill," he made a conscious decision to court the Internet. We were at a screening in Austin when he walked up, set the just-finished script on a table in front of Harry Knowles, and told him to enjoy the read. Before that film was even half finished, that script was everywhere, so much so that when the film was released, fans were upset that there were chapters cut out and substantial pieces reworked.

Both "Inglourious" and "Django" also leaked early, and I got the feeling that the "Django" leak bothered him in a way that the others did not. It happened earlier than he expected. He took the unusual measure on "Django" of commissioning a comic book adaptation of the first draft of the script so that even though he reworked it quite a bit while shooting, his first version ended up getting a sort of release.

It's interesting that Tarantino pointed the finger at CAA and they immediately and, if Fleming's categorization is correct, vehemently denied it. Of course, it is impossible that they could say that with any confidence. I'd be happy to let someone from CAA come by my garage sometime to stare at the hundreds of CAA script covers I have on things that leaked without their knowledge or permission. Then they can look at me and with a straight face tell me they know what leaves their building.

Quentin is facing a possible shift in his career, anyway. I know Fleming's story mentioned that he was about to sit down to talk to Harvey Weinstein about the film and how they're going to make it, but considering QT's drive-in tastes and Harvey's recent comments about how he won't be making movies that have stylized or extreme violence anymore, I don't see how they stay in business together. At this point, I'm sure any studio in town would be happy to make films with him after the money that "Inglorious" and "Django" made worldwide, Sony and Universal would gladly step up to let him make whatever he wants, whatever way he wants.

If he does indeed decide not to make this film, that would be a shame. He's obviously had his love of filmmaking rekindled over the last few years. He's writing faster than ever, and he seems excited by the ensemble cast he keeps building. I would say this directly to Quentin, though… as someone who is awash in the particular streams in which these things get out, I haven't seen the script yet. None of the usual suspects have it, so I would guess the leak is not as bad as he seems to think it is. There's one blogger who is offering to send it to anyone who asks, but I know for a fact he's got something else entirely, which is just funny.

Whatever he ends up doing, I hope it is because it is what he wants, and not just as a reaction to a betrayal that I'm sure genuinely bothers him. Tarantino's last few films have been a treat, and I want to see whatever else comes out of this burst of creative energy. I don't want the shitty behavior of one agent or one assistant to throw off his entire game plan.

In the end, it's the audience that loses in that scenario.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:39 pm

Here's the article in which Harvey Weinstein claims he will no longer produce violent films as a protest to the NRA and in an effort to decrease violence in USA.

Tarantino has many times pledged his loyalty to Weinstein. The two have had a long, great, and highly profitable relationship in which Tarantino seems to get absolute creative control over his projects.

Ironically, Harvey's newfound nemesis, the NRA, has frequently blamed the entertainment industry for putting violent ideas into people's heads. Most people in the entertainment industry have dismissed this mentality. I don't really know how Harv and Quinty can really even stay friends let alone business partners if Harv sees Tarantino and his movies as part of the evil force that his ruining his country.

Tarantino is a respected and bankable filmmaker and will obviously have no trouble finding a home elsewhere.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:40 am

Quentin Tarantino Scraps ‘Hateful Eight’ Over Script Leak: ‘I Gave It to Six Motherf—ing People’
TheWrap has heard that Tarantino has been considering a prison movie of sorts and has immersed himself in the details of the Robert Blake case, though a representative for Blake told TheWrap several weeks ago that Tarantino has not reached out to the former “Baretta” star, who was acquitted of killing his wife.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:09 am

Quentin Tarantino and Steve Buscemi Rehearse Scenes From ‘Reservoir Dogs’
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:31 am

Fanfuckingtastic movie. The only Tarantino flick that I give an A+ for.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:50 pm

So, uh, anybody find the script yet?
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:55 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:So, uh, anybody find the script yet?

go ask this guy
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:41 pm

Quentin Tarantino Suing Gawker Over Script Leak

I don't think this is going to go far because, as Gawker points out, they didn't leak the script, they just pointed to where everybody else was getting it.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:23 am

The Wrap:
Hollywood Torrent With Lucas Shaw: Did Quentin Tarantino Want His Script Leaked? (Video)
Quentin Tarantino has threatened to sue Gawker over his leaked script, but is he behind the leak?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

QUENTIN TARANTINO vs GAWKER

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:50 am

Gawker to Quentin Tarantino: We're Safely Based in the Cayman Islands
Eriq Gardner wrote:Gawker has a tropical reason why a judge should dismiss Quentin Tarantino's lawsuit over a leak of his Hateful Eight script.

According to a motion filed Wednesday, "This Court lacks personal jurisdiction over [Gawker Media Group, Inc.], a Cayman Islands corporation which is not subject to general jurisdiction because it does not have any continuous and systematic contacts with California and is not subject to specific jurisdiction because it does not publish the website at issue in plaintiff’s Complaint and was not involved in any way with the researching, writing, editing, or publishing of the article that is the subject of plaintiff’s Complaint."

As The Hollywood Reporter first reported, Tarantino is suing Gawker for contributory copyright infringement in connection with Gawker's Defamer blog linking to the 146-page script under a post titled, "​Here Is the Leaked Quentin Tarantino Hateful Eight Script."

The lawsuit says that Gawker "crossed the journalistic line by promoting itself to the public as the first source to read the entire Screenplay illegally."

The dispute could open up a judicial discussion of secondary liability and news reporting privileges, but first Tarantino must deal with the nuances of jurisdiction. The director, who is known for having international cinema tastes, now has to focus on the Cayman Islands.

"GMGI has no operations or employees in California or elsewhere," says a motion to dismiss. "Rather, it is a Cayman Islands holding company. Its sole assets are equity securities in its subsidiaries, one of which is defendant Gawker Media, LLC. In short, GMGI does not publish anything, including without limitation the website found at http://www.gawker.com.

So the lawsuit is taking a little bit of an unexpected detour in how Nick Denton has set up his publishing company.

Even if the judge grants the motion, it probably won't end the dispute. A footnote in the legal brief states that Gawker Media is not contesting personal jurisdiction nor Gawker Entertainment. "However, Gawker Entertainment, LLC was dissolved as a corporation in 2013, and counsel for the parties have reached an agreement that Gawker Entertainment, LLC is not a proper party to this action," says the footnote.

As to the merits of the contributory copyright infringement claim, there isn't any discussion of that just yet. The closest that the motion comes is by talking about the "public dissemination" of Hateful Eight on January 21. "On this date, plaintiff gave an interview, which was widely reported in the media, to the effect that he had given copies of the script to certain individuals and that the script was now circulating publicly," says the brief.

In a Jan. 30 post, Gawker editor John Cook blamed Tarantino for "deliberately" turning the leak into news by revealing it to the media.

Gawker Media Group is being represented by attorney Kevin Vick at Levine Sullivan Koch & Schulz.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: 'The H8ful Eiht'

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:16 pm

Last edited by TheButcher on Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:42 am

Four Rooms - Tim Roth Chats with Margaret
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:03 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed May 28, 2014 6:44 pm

Tarantino’s THE HATEFUL EIGHT Could Be A Movie After All
Time heals all wounds according to this total rumor.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:51 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:10 pm

Tarantino's 'Hateful Eight' will have a trailer attached to 'Sin City 2' in theaters only

BUT WHAT'S IT GOING TO SHOW?

Moriarty wrote:Man, I would love it if he's been sneaking around and shooting a movie without telling anyone. I don't think that's what happened… but who knows? I think it's far more likely that what we've heard is correct. The shoot will happen in the spring, and we can count on seeing the film in time for the holiday season in 2015.

But let's pretend for a moment. After all, word is breaking that The Weinstein Company will have a nearly two-minute-long trailer for "The Hateful 8" attached to the front of "Sin City 2" when it hits theaters next week. It appears the plan is not to officially put it online.

That means someone will bootleg it on Friday, The Weinstein Company will chase it around trying to take it down for two days, and we'll have a high-quality official version on Monday morning by the latest.

But at least at first, the plan is that you'll only be able to see the trailer if you go see Robert Rodriguez's new film, and there's something sort of symmetrical and charming about that. I'm really curious to see what they're going to use as a trailer. It can't just be a title card, not if it's two minutes long.

It's 2 minutes of just the title card.
or
Maybe it will be two minutes of Ben Stiller standing in front of the Madagascar crates talking about the movie.
or
Two minutes of Ben Stiller holding a title card.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:44 pm

2 minutes of QT saying "fuck" and n@gger"?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:35 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:36 pm

so sorry wrote:2 minutes of QT saying "fuck" and n@gger"?

2 minutes of QT talking about dick:
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:53 am

Did you notice a sign on the front of my house that said "Big Dick Storage"?
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheButcher on Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:19 am

Tarantino's 'Hateful Eight' Trailer Leaks Online!
Watch this stylized glimpse into the world of Quentin Tarantino's upcoming Western 'The Hateful Eight'.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:10 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:40 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:06 am

The Curious Case of Vincent Vega’s Stolen 1964 Malibu

"You don't fuck with another man's vehicle."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby RaulMonkey on Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:31 am

Wow, I never knowed who keyed it. Something new everyday.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:25 am

KILL BILL - Pai Mei Expanded Sequence
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Director Discussion