What is your LEAST favorite Kevin Smith film?

Which director made the best films, made the best visuals, or smelled the best? This is the forum to find out.

What is your LEAST favorite Kevin Smith film?

clerks
3%
mallrats
20%
chasing amy
21%
dogma
11%
jay and silent bob strike back
21%
jersey girl
16%
clerks 2
7%

Total votes : 61

Postby tapehead on Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:52 am

I'm pretty surprised by the vote; Chasing Amy and Mallrats (along with Clerks) are his finest and most remarkable works - Mallrats seems a kind of teen movie satire in may ways, and is undeniably 'movie junk food'

rigged I tells ya - all the asses he kicked in the talkbacks must still be a little sore
Last edited by tapehead on Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:21 am

RogueScribner wrote:I'm wondering if people have read the poll correctly. I mean, do the majority of Zoners really think Mallrats and Chasing Amy are Kevin Smith's worst films?

Aren't you asking a little much of the Zoners?
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:22 am

You're right: we're used to voting blindly. I forgot our motto: "Don't think, just nod!"
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:53 am

*nods*

What's this thread about anyway?
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:26 am

Pez.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:37 am

tapehead wrote:Chasing Amy and Mallrats (along with Clerks) are his vest works

I say they are his pants works. :lol:

Not rigged, just voted for by people who do not share your opinion. Deal.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:56 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:I'm wondering if people have read the poll correctly. I mean, do the majority of Zoners really think Mallrats and Chasing Amy are Kevin Smith's worst films?

read thru some of the early pages of this thread and you will find that the voters of this poll knew exactly what they were doing!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Lady Sheridan on Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:40 pm

Well, I did the right thing and voted Jersey Girl. The best part of that movie was the Sweeney Todd bit at the end, if only the rest of the movie had been that funny. I wanted Smith to make a mature film with a bit of an edge, instead we got a really unlikeable yuppie Ben Affleck.

Of course, I am in the minority because Dogma is my favorite. Of course I haven't watched it in a couple of years, so maybe it would totally annoy me now. But I thought it was funny and sharp, although Linda Fiorentino is definitely not, yikes.

Chasing Amy, I know I should like--but I made the mistake of watching it for the first time with my mom. I even made a point of asking my more experienced friends "So is there anything about Chasing Amy I wouldn't want to see with my mom?" "Oh no, it's a great movie, Mallrats is the one you don't watch with your parents." Now, I have very cool parents who rarely blink an eye--but the discussion on going down, you just don't want to watch that sitting next to your mom. Of course after the fact, everyone (including the friend who had told me it was all right) asked me what I was thinking. :roll: So anyway, that awkward experience just colors the whole film for me as an uncomfortable one to watch. Plus it's about a guy being a total dick to his girlfriend, not exactly cheery stuff.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:48 pm

little spoiler !

Lady Sheridan wrote:Well, I did the right thing and voted Jersey Girl. The best part of that movie was the Sweeney Todd bit at the end, if only the rest of the movie had been that funny. I wanted Smith to make a mature film with a bit of an edge, instead we got a really unlikeable yuppie Ben Affleck.

i found the will smith bashing at the start really funny , especially when you see the end of the flick & he shows up .

also the whole "i want your sex , does it sound like hes singing that about a guy" bit

overall i think this movie got way more bashing when it was released than it deserved , its not a great movie , but it shows smith can make a movie without using characters from the last one .
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby unikrunk on Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:53 pm

Why is there no 'All of the Above' in the poll?

Also, doosh wrote the most boring ass Green Arrow comic of all time, which is a hell of an accomplishment; given that Green Arrow is already the lamest shit around.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Of Nowhere on Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:08 pm

it looks like in about a years time your gonna have another one of his movies to moan about

because

over on myspace kevin smith wrote:

Win Big Prizes in the "CLERKS II" BANNER CONTEST!

Wanna help us spread the word about Clerks II in true guerilla marketing fashion, and maybe win some cool shit in the process? The "Clerks II" Banner Contest tasks fearless participants with one of the easiest challenges you'll ever be a part of: getting the "Clerks II" banner on as many websites, messageboards, MySpace pages, and blogs as possible.

As you get the banner placed on various locations across the net, simply send the URL of the site/page/board in to us at bannercontest@viewaskew.com

Well add that site to your running tally. The person who gets the banner placed in the most locations across the net (without repeats!) by midnight on the day of the films release (7/21/2006) will win one of THESE FABULOUS PRIZES!!!

1st PLACE: AN ON-CAMERA, GUARANTEED-NOT-TO-BE-CUT WALK-ON IN THE NEXT VIEW ASKEW PRODUCTION (shooting early 2007)!

just thought i'd let you know
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby The Ginger Man on Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:16 pm

king_of_nowhere wrote:it looks like in about a years time your gonna have another one of his movies to moan about

because

over on myspace kevin smith wrote:

Win Big Prizes in the "CLERKS II" BANNER CONTEST!

Wanna help us spread the word about Clerks II in true guerilla marketing fashion, and maybe win some cool shit in the process? The "Clerks II" Banner Contest tasks fearless participants with one of the easiest challenges you'll ever be a part of: getting the "Clerks II" banner on as many websites, messageboards, MySpace pages, and blogs as possible.

As you get the banner placed on various locations across the net, simply send the URL of the site/page/board in to us at bannercontest@viewaskew.com

Well add that site to your running tally. The person who gets the banner placed in the most locations across the net (without repeats!) by midnight on the day of the films release (7/21/2006) will win one of THESE FABULOUS PRIZES!!!

1st PLACE: AN ON-CAMERA, GUARANTEED-NOT-TO-BE-CUT WALK-ON IN THE NEXT VIEW ASKEW PRODUCTION (shooting early 2007)!

just thought i'd let you know

Not necessarily a Smith film. View Askew does put out other films...though only Smith's get any real publicity.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby King Of Nowhere on Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:17 pm

movies like "vulgar" & stuff ?
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:20 pm

HArd not to view that kinda move cynically... moving people en masse to royally fuck other people in forums off. Watch this space for future spam!

Not you, KON. ;) I keed I keed. ;)
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Coldfire24 on Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:38 pm

Is this even a question? Jay and Silent Bob strike back sucked ass.
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:06 pm

so sorry wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:

read thru some of the early pages of this thread and you will find that the voters of this poll knew exactly what they were doing!

Actually, the early pages of the thread are just you, Burl, BB and Wonka bashing ALL of his movies, with Whedon and I defending some of them. Nothing there to show that the poll isn't screwed up.

I just have trouble believing that people could enjoy J&SB, which is everything you guys hate about Smith, more than Mallrats or Chasing Amy. My opinion.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby so sorry on Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:09 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
so sorry wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:

Actually, the early pages of the thread are just you, Burl, BB and Wonka bashing ALL of his movies, with Whedon and I defending some of them. Nothing there to show that the poll isn't screwed up.

I just have trouble believing that people could enjoy J&SB, which is everything you guys hate about Smith, more than Mallrats or Chasing Amy. My opinion.

don't make me come over there and give you an udder-nuggie.

Who the hell ever chose J&SB over MAllrats and Amy?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:12 pm

so sorry wrote:
don't make me come over there and give you an udder-nuggie.

Who the hell ever chose J&SB over MAllrats and Amy?

I like a little rough play...

No one has directly, but I can't fathom why J&SB doesn't have 1,000 votes in the poll. To me it's such a mishmash abortion of a movie. And that's coming from someone who likes Smith.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby so sorry on Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:17 pm

oh, i get it.

yeah, its kinda odd, isn't it?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:21 pm

so sorry wrote:oh, i get it.

yeah, its kinda odd, isn't it?

Yeah, most people who like Smith list "Amy" as in their top 2 or 3 Smith movies, and I can't imagine anyone who likes Smith would list J&SB or Jersey Girl (which I didn't hate) as being better than Amy. So my only answers as to how the poll got to where it is, are:

1) Some people didn't read the poll and thought they were picking their favorite KS film; or

2) Folks who hate KS movies in general picked "Amy" to spite those of us who do like KS... :wink:
Lord Voldemoo

Postby so sorry on Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:25 pm

alright, here's a sorta rational arguement for you:
I understand that Jay and Silent Bob was never made with the intention of being high class cinema (actually, how that studly fuck got a studio to agree to release that shit is beyond me).

Chasing Amy, on the udder hand, was his first attempt at a "serious" flick, and he failed miserably.

hitherto and therefore, even though i hated J&SB, i LOATH Chasing Amy, ergo and whatnot, i voted for it in the poll.

satisfied?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:28 pm

so sorry wrote:alright, here's a sorta rational arguement for you:
I understand that Jay and Silent Bob was never made with the intention of being high class cinema (actually, how that studly fuck got a studio to agree to release that shit is beyond me).

Chasing Amy, on the udder hand, was his first attempt at a "serious" flick, and he failed miserably.

hitherto and therefore, even though i hated J&SB, i LOATH Chasing Amy, ergo and whatnot, i voted for it in the poll.

satisfied?

I disagree about him failing miserably, but if one felt that he did fail miserably then that logic makes more sense than anything I can come up with.

so sorry wrote:Chasing Amy, on the udder hand

UPUNILASH!
Lord Voldemoo

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:38 pm

See, I laughed my ass off the first time I saw J&SB, just because it's the most expensive in-joke I've ever seen. Upon repeat viewings, it's not nearly as funny and has a less-than-paper-thin plot, but I still WAY prefer it to the mishmash that was Jersey Girl.

And I still say Chasing Amy is a beautiful little film.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby austenandrews on Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:36 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:No one has directly, but I can't fathom why J&SB doesn't have 1,000 votes in the poll. To me it's such a mishmash abortion of a movie. And that's coming from someone who likes Smith.

For my part, given that I quite dislike Smith, I have absolutely no intention of ever seeing J&SB, as it seems to embody everything that makes Smith a poser.
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Re: What is your LEAST favorite Kevin Smith film?

Postby so sorry on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:51 pm

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:56 pm

this will be my LEAST favorite Kevin Smith Broadway show.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:57 pm

Clerks 3 shooting soon. Mallrats 2 is now apparently a thing. No word on Chasing Amy 2.

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2015/03/c ... ats-2.html

I suppose they can't be anywhere near as bad as Tusk.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:07 pm

THE CANON WITH HOSTS DEVIN FARACI AND AMY NICHOLSON
CLERKS

On their way back from Park City, Devin & Amy detour to New Jersey’s Quick Stop convenience store to discuss the Sundance surprise of 1994: Kevin Smith’s Clerks. Is this the View Askewniverse's only good film? Did Clerks prove that anyone could make a movie--and is that a good thing? Can Devin put aside his personal beef with Kevin Smith? Plus, they predict which flicks from this year’s Sundance could be potential canon fodder. Tune in for the battle -- and head to the forums on Wolfpop to cast the deciding vote!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Tue May 10, 2016 1:41 pm

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:05 am

Kevin Smith Suffers Massive Heart Attack

After the first show this evening, I had a massive heart attack. The Doctor who saved my life told me I had 100% blockage of my LAD artery (aka “the Widow-Maker”). If I hadn’t canceled show 2 to go to the hospital, I would’ve died tonight. But for now, I’m still above ground!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:37 pm

Holy shit. Someone tell so sorry about this!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:28 pm

Ribbons wrote:Holy shit. Someone tell so sorry about this!

Snoochie boochies!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:09 am

Is that all you're gonna say a man who directed Yoga Hosers?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:32 am

Well he did give me Clerks which I love, so for that reason alone I don't actually wish death on him. I just wish career death.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:52 am

what about.........Mallrats :wink:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:52 am

Peven wrote:what about.........Mallrats :wink:

I kinda like Mallrats too! It was a natural progression from Clerks.

For me he went off the rails after Mallrats...total dogshit from that point on, and his self-deprecating non stop jibber jabbering is insufferable.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:55 am

Alanis Morissette told him his work here was not yet done and sent him back.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Wolfpack on Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:23 am

Silent Bob will not be silenced!
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Previous

Return to Director Discussion