What is your LEAST favorite Kevin Smith film?

Which director made the best films, made the best visuals, or smelled the best? This is the forum to find out.

What is your LEAST favorite Kevin Smith film?

clerks
2
3%
mallrats
12
20%
chasing amy
13
21%
dogma
7
11%
jay and silent bob strike back
13
21%
jersey girl
10
16%
clerks 2
4
7%
 
Total votes : 61

Postby DennisMM on Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:55 pm

"Dogma," because I'm a former altar boy.
"Chasing Amy"
"Clerks"
"Mallrats"

I haven't seen "Jay and Silent Bob" or "Jersey Girl." Can "Jersey Girl" even be discussed in the same terms as the Askewniverse?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Postby Brocktune on Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:01 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:How come there's no choice for ALL OF THEM?


i couldnt agree more!
Image
User avatar
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6490
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: Pico & Sepulveda

Postby wonkabar on Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:32 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:KG? Kyle Gass?
You got it. He flashed Smith at Comic-con just after KS said something like "these are the next two people I need to suck off now that I got Ben off the list" while introducing the D. KS is a funny motherfucker I must say.
Image
User avatar
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF
 
Posts: 6220
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: The Double Douche

Postby Shane on Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:23 pm

Is someone going to add Clerks II to this some time?
User avatar
Shane
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2476
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:28 pm
Location: Kansas City

Postby Kilgore on Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:02 pm

Shane wrote:Is someone going to add Clerks II to this some time?


Well...considering it's not out yet....
Kilgore
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:33 pm

Postby Hollywood_Bob on Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:43 pm

hmmmmmmm....no jersey girl or J&SB: SB???? if such is the case then it tis mallrats....
"The only way to rid yourself of tempation...is to yeild to it." Oscar Wilde

Image
User avatar
Hollywood_Bob
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD
 
Posts: 959
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:11 pm
Location: Hollywood Ca

Postby austenandrews on Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:47 pm

Sign me up for "all of them except Clerks."

Smith is a wanking poser.
User avatar
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE
 
Posts: 737
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:45 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Postby Shane on Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:10 am

I|'ve grown tired of the thing he does, it was funny at first, now it's redundant. |I'll see his new stuff but the re-watch quality of his movies seems to be going down hill. I like Smith, |I used to like him more. I really think he needs to branch out and direct something new.

Is he too scared to make a change or is he too lazy and stoned?
User avatar
Shane
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2476
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:28 pm
Location: Kansas City

Postby PervOmatic on Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:20 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:How come there's no choice for ALL OF THEM?

I vote for this option.

The man couldn't direct his way out of a wet paper bag......he writes dialog decently, but the acting in his films is always so stilted and staged not to mention that the framing is always so amateurish, boring, and straight out of freshman film school.


Yeah, I vote none of them. He lucked out with Clerks,
User avatar
PervOmatic
GLIB
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:09 am
Location: LA

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:52 am

What no Jersey Girl or Jay and Silent Bob? JG can be placed in the same Smithiverse at least. Jesus, you guys are a bunch of ***insert internet catchphrase of the day here***. C'mon, he aint that bad. A bland director visually, maybe, but he can entertain and retains a hallmark,

You know what though? I'm gonna be contraversial here. Clerks didn't do diddly squat for me. It was OK. The only time I laughed was the whole "37 dicks" line. You know what? Reading it, the script is great. But the delivery fucking blew chunks.

Chasing Amy was and forever will be his best film.
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:36 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Chasing Amy was and forever will be his best film.


:lol:
User avatar
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 5689
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:42 am
Location: London, England

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:42 am

Yeah warrevver beeyotch. Snootchie Bootchies.
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:56 am

LOL - I never knew you were so "ghetto", Atomic!
User avatar
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 5689
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:42 am
Location: London, England

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:58 am

I'm tokin' my fatty-boom-batty blunt, y'all.
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby tapehead on Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:13 am

Indeed. I think his most succesful film is Chasing Amy; it seems like he did what he set out to, it's a nice romantic comedy with a twee kind of indie cred twist. Clerks is like the cinema equivalent of lo-fi or 'no style' - the only elaborations are the pop-culture spiels in the script on Star Wrs and the like - I look forward to the sequel, but I would anyway because of how attractive Rosario Dawson looks in the teaser. I really wanted, being an ex-altar boy myself, to love Dogma - there's so many great ideas and irreverent humour, individual scenes are among my favorite bits of his movies - but the pacing is fucked and, although the story is pretty straight forward (for a plot involving arc angels and God in modern day US society) it comes of as uneven and disjointed. So I gotta go with that over Jersey Girl
User avatar
tapehead
BALLS!!!
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: OZ

Postby thedarksyde on Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:34 pm

Jersey Girl, by a million miles
thedarksyde
GLIB
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:17 pm
Location: Austin

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:37 pm

When did this thread get life again?

I'll add the others to the poll, though this likely won't be accurate now.
User avatar
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE
 
Posts: 9473
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby King Of Nowhere on Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:44 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:


Chasing Amy is a beautiful little film, filled with heart and substance. There are deep, strong conversations in there about love and life, plus the occasional comic book reference. Good stuff.



i have to agree , Amy stands up as the best movie he has made , plus you don't really have to have seen the other flicks to enjoy it . the story & dialogue in that film beat all the rest of his work put together !

except for his commentaries , they always kick ass !
User avatar
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!
 
Posts: 6173
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Postby Brit Pop on Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:48 pm

Jersey Girl was pretty bad... I hated Amy, apart from Hooper X's Star Wars diatribe - one of my lecturers showed that scene as the first thing we saw in science fiction 101.

I can't believe so many people hated Mallrats - its my pick of the week! It has taught me to fear and respect escalators.
Image
User avatar
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1355
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:54 am
Location: Heart Of England

Postby King Of Nowhere on Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:59 pm

Brit Pop wrote:I can't believe so many people hated Mallrats - its my pick of the week! It has taught me to fear and respect escalators.


kevin smith wrote: Mallrats found its audience on DVD
User avatar
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!
 
Posts: 6173
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Postby raasnio on Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:49 pm

I've only seen Clerks, Mallrats & Dogma. (In that order)

I liked Mallrats. It was fun & funny even though I fully expected to dislike it.

Clerks was, I thought, boring. Dogma was not as boring, but I didn't feel it was really any better. So of these two I'd pick Clerks. Just because it was the first one I saw and the biggest disappointment.

I guess I feel the same way about Kevin Smith as I do Quentin Tarantino. I enjoy listening to them discuss filmmaking or reading interviews with them, but I don't really care for their films.
Image
User avatar
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:04 pm

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:23 pm

For some reason, I still think of Dogma as one of the greatest fantasy films ever made.
Image
User avatar
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 10806
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:59 pm
Location: factored in this happening when it has happened

Postby King Of Nowhere on Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:35 pm

Adam Balm wrote:For some reason, I still think of Dogma as one of the greatest fantasy films ever made.


but would you say it was a better film than "amy" ?
User avatar
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!
 
Posts: 6173
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:45 pm

king_of_nowhere wrote:
Adam Balm wrote:For some reason, I still think of Dogma as one of the greatest fantasy films ever made.


but would you say it was a better film than "amy" ?


Very cute. I get it.


("Because if you ask any lesbian, that would NEVER happen...")
Image
User avatar
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 10806
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:59 pm
Location: factored in this happening when it has happened

Postby King Of Nowhere on Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:49 pm

i take it youve seen AN EVENING WITH...
User avatar
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!
 
Posts: 6173
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Postby austenandrews on Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:13 pm

Adam Balm wrote:For some reason, I still think of Dogma as one of the greatest fantasy films ever made.

I think, upon reflection, that Dogma is probably the biggest stinking pile of dookie laid by a man famous for laying dookie.

Then again I went nowhere near any of his subsequent films, not even out of morbid curiosity.
User avatar
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE
 
Posts: 737
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:45 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Postby sleepflower on Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:28 pm

I have to say, I do love KS films. I never saw or heard any hype around clerks, I just got lent it on video when I was about 15. Do people just hate things that are hyped to be godd. There is nothing to be ashamed of saying, it was good, just not that good.

Jay and silent bob was funny, but extremely childish and drawn out. The best bit was easily the scooby doo scene, would love to see a whole movie like that.
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:10 pm

Postby Vegeta on Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:57 pm

Chasing Amy just made me angry... coming to the conclusion that your girlfriend, best friend, and yourself need to have a threesome to "work things out", is by far the fucking stupidest thing anyone could come up with.


Run on sentences anyone?
User avatar
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY
 
Posts: 6274
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:22 am
Location: U.S.S.A.

Postby Lurker Johnson on Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:36 pm

Everyone knows that Kevin Smith's worst film was:





































Homeward Bound II: The Search for Spock.




Yeah. Sorry for making you scroll down for that.
Image
User avatar
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE
 
Posts: 550
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:30 pm
Location: Ninja College

Postby King Of Nowhere on Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:39 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
Chasing Amy was and forever will be his best film.


well , when your right , your right

Image
User avatar
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!
 
Posts: 6173
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Postby MiltonWaddams on Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:17 pm

Mallrats was Jason Lee talking non-stop about goofy shit for the entire movie, what's not to like? It wasn't a groundbreaking film, but it was fun..

I voted for Chasing Amy, knowing full well that Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and Jersey Girl were far worse movies, because I can't compare jump-the-shark Smith with the man of former glory (albiet small scale glory). I just fucking hated Chasing Amy, maybe it's my intolerance for Joey whateverthefuck, but god damnit that movie was just so MEH.
Urer yvrf Z.J.
Xvyyrq ol ungr naq vafvqr wbxrf.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:31 pm

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:19 pm

I really like Chasing Amy.

J&SB is total crap.
Image
User avatar
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked
 
Posts: 17641
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:18 pm
Location: Pasture next to the Red Barn

Postby King Of Nowhere on Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:21 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:I really like Chasing Amy.

J&SB is total crap.


exactly
User avatar
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!
 
Posts: 6173
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Postby Seppuku on Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:26 pm

I don't smoke much, but I decided to watch J&SB blitzed out of my skull...and I can tell you, it doesn't take much for me to get to the point where I'm so high that I'm laughing at the fact that I'm laughing. But, even after zippin on the goo goo coofoo, I didn't laugh once at this film.

Why didn't you make me laugh, Kevin? What do you have against me? Is it because I said your wife looked vaguely horselike and you "pwnt" me on your message board?

I actually like most of his work, even Dogma, but Jay is just poor. Not the character, the film.

I still like Kevin enough to buy Clerks X off View Askewniverse just so I can cherish his signature on the inside cover.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Image
User avatar
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION
 
Posts: 7872
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:52 am
Location: Limeyland

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:20 am

Clerks 2 hasn't opened wide yet, so I haven't caught that one, and I never bothered with Jersey Girl, but from the rest of his movies I'd say Jay and Silent Bob is his worst. Not that it's a bad movie, just sub par. It's like he was pandering to his audience to try to make a buck, but the movie wasn't as funny as it thought it was. Chasing Amy is by far his best work, IMO.


1. Chasing Amy - very good movie
2. Dogma - good movie
3. Mallrats - good movie
4. Clerks - okay movie (it has its moments)
5. Jay and Silent Bob - meh

Not gonna bother with JG and I'll get around to catching C2 eventually, I'm sure.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
User avatar
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger
 
Posts: 9609
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:52 am
Location: Melbourne, FL

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:48 am

did anyone read kevin's book ?
User avatar
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!
 
Posts: 6173
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Postby Shane on Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:06 am

sleepflower wrote:I have to say, I do love KS films. I never saw or heard any hype around clerks, I just got lent it on video when I was about 15. Do people just hate things that are hyped to be godd. There is nothing to be ashamed of saying, it was good, just not that good.

Jay and silent bob was funny, but extremely childish and drawn out. The best bit was easily the scooby doo scene, would love to see a whole movie like that.


I liked clerks at first, not loved, but liked, but |I had a friend who watched it daily and quoted the thing daily, I'd say I grew a bad taste in my mouth from fans like him. I just got tired of seeing the movie and got to the point that seeing it or parts of it just annoyed me. When Mallrats came out I liked it better than clerks because of that, but once more the fans just got too much with it.

The movies are not great films, just funny little films that just give you a few cheap laughs. I think Smith is capable of more just because of his run on Daredevil, and the things he gets into, but I might be wrong.
User avatar
Shane
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2476
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:28 pm
Location: Kansas City

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:31 am

I loved Mallrats too. It was just a fine balls-out comedy.

I don't know, why is it usually listed as the "most hated"? Because Clerks is allegedly far more superior because of its inane cleverness?

And on that note Jersey Girl was OK.
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby austenandrews on Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:54 am

Was anyone else insulted by Smith's DVD extras on Dogma?
User avatar
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE
 
Posts: 737
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:45 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:56 am

there werent any .

at least not on the "cinemaclub" release here in the uk
User avatar
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!
 
Posts: 6173
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:57 am

or was that your point
User avatar
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!
 
Posts: 6173
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Postby austenandrews on Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:03 am

I'm fairly sure it was Dogma (or maybe Chasing Amy?) where he filmed a bunch of intro sequences that consisted of himself, Affleck and Mewes stoned out of their gourds, with Smith mumbling intros into a cheap video camera like he begrudged having to do so.
User avatar
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE
 
Posts: 737
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:45 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Postby captainbrose on Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:03 am

Dogma is my least favorite easily...I find almost zero entertainment in it.

I like clerks, mallrats and chasing amy...but the guy cant get behind using the same characters in every one of his films...

Jay and Silent Bob i thought would be funny but it was just a bunch of characters thrown together...booo

Dogma gets my vote though for least favorite
captainbrose
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:48 pm

Postby colonel_lugz on Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:10 am

Im gonna have to say that Clerks is my least favourite Kevin Smith film (though I am yet to see Jersy Girl)

It's not that Clerks is a bad film I just think that it is completely overrated, I only got around to watching it last year. Everyone had been telling me that I'd been missing out on this great film, but when I finally saw it I was left feeling very underwhelmed. I would hold Mallrats and even Dogma way above it.
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
User avatar
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4864
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:09 pm
Location: London

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:11 am

austenandrews wrote:I'm fairly sure it was Dogma (or maybe Chasing Amy?) where he filmed a bunch of intro sequences that consisted of himself, Affleck and Mewes stoned out of their gourds, with Smith mumbling intros into a cheap video camera like he begrudged having to do so.


is that on the R1 dogma dvd ?
User avatar
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!
 
Posts: 6173
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:16 am

Jay and Silent Bob was truly execrable, the only nugget of non-studio digested ass kibble was the "I'm the clit commander" line, classic, say it aloud to yourself in the mirror, its funny. I've not seen Jersey Girl.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen
 
Posts: 6032
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:26 am
Location: Shanghizzo

Postby austenandrews on Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:45 am

king_of_nowhere wrote:is that on the R1 dogma dvd ?

I guess so. That's the American region, right?
User avatar
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE
 
Posts: 737
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:45 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:49 am

yeah R1 is america , R2 is the the british version , it has a shitty little interview & nothing else
User avatar
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!
 
Posts: 6173
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Postby sleepflower on Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:02 am

Vegeta wrote:Chasing Amy just made me angry... coming to the conclusion that your girlfriend, best friend, and yourself need to have a threesome to "work things out", is by far the fucking stupidest thing anyone could come up with.


Run on sentences anyone?


Hey I can tell you I have been in some odd situations, and they were far more unlikely to happen than this would be to me. In fact, if it wasn't for the film, I can think of a time it may have happened.

I do love chasing amy. Cannot believe people do not like Jersey Girl. No hype (quite the opposite) low key film. Nothing new or original, just a good story. I like stories. Chasing amy was a good story with very funny parts to it. An intelligent RomCom. Hey if you don't like romcoms at all, not even a tiny bit then you will hate it. You all have hearts of stone.
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:10 pm

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:56 am

I'm wondering if people have read the poll correctly. I mean, do the majority of Zoners really think Mallrats and Chasing Amy are Kevin Smith's worst films?
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
User avatar
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger
 
Posts: 9609
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:52 am
Location: Melbourne, FL

PreviousNext

Return to Director Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests