The Future Of Directing Greatness!!

Which director made the best films, made the best visuals, or smelled the best? This is the forum to find out.

The Future Of Directing Greatness!!

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:14 pm

sooooo.... Locke's quest for the greatest director thread got me thinking - than i pulled some sort of weird brain muscle - and took a break - then something came to me - there were ALOT of names BANDIED about during the nomination process - some that were denied due to it being early on in their careers - so - i figured i'd throw this out there - let's say - in about 10-15 years - we're discussing who is the greatest director of the last few years (in the future - you still with me?) - at least from the current crop to choose from...so - let's get some nominations - and then maybe we can do another poll -

off the top of my head:
Quentin Tarantino
Peter Jackson
Sam Raimi
Robert Rodriguez
Guillermo Del Toro
M. Night Shymalan
Joss Whedon
Sophia Coppola
Wes Anderson
P.T. Anderson
Wong Kar Wei
Chan Wook Park
Takeshi Miike
Alejandro Amenebar (Open Your Eyes, The Others)
Walter Salles
Michael Bay ( :wink: )
Bryan Singer
Paul Haggis (Haggis????? - j/k)

etc, etc...

i think you know what i mean - who is really gonna make an impact on us over the next few years - and the up and coming generation - and yes - i know people like spileberg and cameron have alot of good years left in them - but they are already legends in their own right - either way - they'll never be forgotten - and some of these guys listed above have been around for awhile (Raimi and Jackson, for example) - but they really only became "well-known" over the last few years -

so - who else is a (possibly) brilliant up and comer - who should make the cut - who do you think will make a huge impact over the next few years to come...

(VOTE 4 havoc!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Last edited by havocSchultz on Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:52 am, edited 14 times in total.
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:19 pm

Nice thread, Havoc.

I think M. Night, PJ and Quentin are all pretty much masters at their craft, and they make films I really, really enjoy. Wes Anderson, PT and Sophia all make incredibly smart, daring films, and I have no doubt they'll be seen as some of "the greats".

Personally, Joss Whedon just speaks to me. Not only through the films/shows he writes/directs/creates, but through his outlook on life. There's an element of simpatico I feel with him, that if I was in a position to make a film, I'd make something along his lines, that delivers a similar message. He easily gets my vote.

Oh, and Fernando Merielles should definitely be on that list. That man is going to be HUGE.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Ribbons on Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:22 pm

Alfonso Cuaron, mayhaps.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby John-Locke on Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:25 pm

Mathieu Kassovitz (La Haine)
Shane Meadows (Dead Mans Shoes/A Room for Romeo Brass)
Danny Boyle
Oliver Hirschbiegel (The Experiment/Downfall)
Rian Johnson (well Brick looks brilliant)
Eli Roth
Ang Lee
George Clooney
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Shane on Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:28 pm

these directors are all established. They are not the future, they are the present. I think the future of great directors lies with James McTeigue, Matthew Vaugn, and guys that are just starting, and have directed like one film or less. Chris Cunningham has the skill to be something great in my opinion.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Christopher Nolan
Spike Jonze
Michel Gondry
John Turturro (Maybe)
Richard Kelly
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:32 pm

John-Locke wrote:Mathieu Kassovitz (La Haine)
Shane Meadows (Dead Mans Shoes/A Room for Romeo Brass)
Danny Boyle
Oliver Hirschbiegel (The Experiment/Downfall)
Rian Johnson (well Brick looks brilliant)
Eli Roth
Ang Lee
George Clooney

I'm with you on Boyle, Lee, Clooney, and even Johnson (I'm seeing Brick this weekend so this could change), but ELI ROTH?! I'm having a hard time seeing that man ever at the Oscars...

Shane wrote:these directors are all established. They are not the future, they are the present. I think the future of great directors lies with James McTeigue, Matthew Vaugn, and guys that are just starting, and have directed like one film or less. Chris Cunningham has the skill to be something great in my opinion.

Vaughn I'll go with, but McTeigue only did an adequate job with V. At this point, he's still just a Second Unit Director who got the shot at the big chair. There were plenty of nice moments throughout V, some wonderful shot compositions and such, but his staging is rather limited in scope. He's good, but not a master by any means.

Oh, and where the hell is ARONOFSKY?!! I think that man could win this whole thing!!

And Chris Nolan too. And the Wachowskis.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:32 pm

Man, I'm stuck agreeing with Whedon of all people, but I gotta second Fernando Meirelles.....
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:34 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:Man, I'm stuck agreeing with Whedon of all people, but I gotta second Fernando Meirelles.....

It's been a really weird week that way...
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:40 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
thomasgaffney wrote:Man, I'm stuck agreeing with Whedon of all people, but I gotta second Fernando Meirelles.....

It's been a really weird week that way...

HAHAHAHAHA! Tell me about it.....

I should resurrect the X-Men vs. Jedi thread and see if you've finally come to your senses and agree with me on the winning team... :twisted: :twisted:
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby unikrunk on Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:53 pm

Richard Kelly certainly.

I can't really get on board with Roth tho...I mean, we are talking about 'Greatness' here, correct?

I am going to throw Ido Mizrahy out there, but I am biased.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:00 pm

okay - after some more suggestions and thoughts and arguments - here's some more:
Fernando mereilles
darren aronofsky
christopher nolan
matthew vaughn
danny boyle
george clooney
ang lee
spike lee
spike jonze
michel gondry
richard kelly
Mathieu Kassovitz
Oliver Hirschbiegel
eli roth
Alfonso Cuaron

some brilliant suggestions - and - arguably - some not so brilliant - i can't believe i forgot some of these names - but alas - that's what the nomination round is for...

i'll also nomiante:
Zach Snyder for his Dawn of the Dead remake - and the currently lensing 300... he showed some action chops at least with DotD remake - and the opening scene was brilliantly executed...

soooo........who else?

ETA: i would like to hear more arguments for and against some as well - for example - Rian Johnson - isn't Brick his debut - and if so - that's all fine and good - it does look and sound like a possibly brilliant lil film - but - i think - until somebody here has actually seen it - and vouches for it/him - we'll should probably wait - otherwise - hell - i'm sure there's a bunch of us zoners who're gonna have a film come out "one of these days" that should be on the list as well... :wink:

but i think i remember something about Whedon saying he was gonna check it out this weekend (?) - if so - we can find out more after that...
Last edited by havocSchultz on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:00 pm

I don't think Spike Lee belongs here. The man's been around for quite a while, not exactly the "next generation". If anything, he should be an option for the other thread.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby unikrunk on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:07 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:I don't think Spike Lee belongs here. The man's been around for quite a while, not exactly the "next generation". If anything, he should be an option for the other thread.

I hope you mean the re-evaluating directors thread, and not the greatest director thread.

Either way, you are correct that Lee should not be on this list.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:08 pm

unikrunk wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:I don't think Spike Lee belongs here. The man's been around for quite a while, not exactly the "next generation". If anything, he should be an option for the other thread.

I hope you mean the re-evaluating directors thread, and not the greatest director thread.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

I'm not a huge fan of Spike Lee, but he is still a very important figure in the history of American cinema. He's controversial, he's opinionated, he's an alumnus of the Paul Haggis School of Clubbing You Over the Head with Shit--but the man is still important.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:09 pm

understandable - but - his big break came with Do the Right Thing - i think it was his 2nd or 3rd feature - something like that - and it was released 1989 - not nearly as long ago as some of the people we decided to put on the list - but - we can discuss it back and forth - i figured i'd put him there cause he seems to have finally found his biggest "commercial and mass audience" success this past weekend with Inside Man - be interesting to see what he does with the next xoupla projects - or maybe he'll do what scorcese did for awhile - one personal - one studio - could be interesting to see...

and how bout these:
Steven Soderburgh
Tony Scott
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:10 pm

You're right, Havoc. And that's the thing about Spike, Sodebergh, Fincher, and others in their area--they're not necessarily the "next generation" because they've been around for a while, but they can't be considered "the greats" yet either. I'll throw Frank Darabont into this group of "in between greats" as well.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby John-Locke on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:10 pm

Tony Scott?

No way man, he's old school.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Chilli on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:10 pm

Richard Kelly?
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby John-Locke on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:22 pm

The reason I said Eli Roth was because he's part of the new crop, sure he's not blown anyone out of the water yet but he has potential, he used to be David Lynch's assistant or something.

Forget I mentioned him, I was just throwing out some names.

Alexandre Aja?

Christopher Gans?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby tapehead on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:23 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
unikrunk wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

I'm not a huge fan of Spike Lee, but he is still a very important figure in the history of American cinema. He's controversial, he's opinionated, he's an alumnus of the Paul Haggis School of Clubbing You Over the Head with Shit--but the man is still important.

I kinda think 'Do the Right Thing' lights a fire under your ass, but 'Crash' does indeed club you over the head :lol:
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:28 pm

David Gordon Green (check out his debut, George Washington)
Richard Kelly (although I'm reserving judgement as I'm worried about Southland Tales)
Jonathan Glazer (Birth is one hell of an underrated film)
Danny and Oxide Pang
Mars Callahan (j/k)
George Clooney
Last edited by TonyWilson on Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Flumm on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:36 pm

I thin think most of the people I would suggest are already noted. I'm eagerly anticipating several if not more of their work. Watching a directors career is one of the most rewarding things in this ol business they call geek if you ask me.

Anyway, a name I wouldn't hesitate to add is Ki-Duk Kim. He writes, directs, edits, and produces. The guy is NUTS, but in a sincere, genuine, talented, humble, eccentric, and provocotive way.

(wow he could be an aries)

I suspect in a few films time, people are going to be speaking about him in the same breath as the greats of our time.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:52 pm

I don't think I saw Christopher Nolan...

Edit: My bad he was noted :oops:
Last edited by Vegeta on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Theta on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:53 pm

I think Jon Favreau and Darren Aronofsky are the two next big names. Aronofsky admitted has a hell of a shit job ahead of him, somehow making "The Fountain" more than a cult film. At least Time Warner is backing him somewhat.

Favreau I think is going to be the next director of quality blockbusters. We'll certainly see...
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:54 pm

Theta wrote:Favreau I think is going to be the next director of quality blockbusters. We'll certainly see...

Umm, I like Favreau too, but hasn't that spot been filled already by one Peter Jackson?
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby unikrunk on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:02 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
Theta wrote:Favreau I think is going to be the next director of quality blockbusters. We'll certainly see...

Umm, I like Favreau too, but hasn't that spot been filled already by one Peter Jackson?

Indeed it has, and when The Hobbit drops, it will be cemented.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby jgraphix on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:15 pm

I second Alexander Aja..He will be the new master of horror.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:17 pm

unikrunk wrote:Richard Kelly certainly.

Richard Kelly? Not to ruffle any feathers, but why don't we wait 'til he makes at least two movies first? Same argument applies to Zack Snyder and Rian Johnson, whose first movie hasn't even come out yet(!). These guys are rock stars in the making, sure, but I wouldn't trip all over ourselves to give them the title of "next great director" just yet.
Last edited by Ribbons on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Theta on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:18 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:

I'm skeptical, to be honest, that Jackson really wants to go that way. "LOTR" and "Kong" were both stories he had really strong emotional connections to, but I'm not sure other blockbusters would interest him (not to mention that "Kong"'s financial disappointment means his budget aren't going to be quite as carte-blanche in the future.) Let's not forget that the man made "Forgotten Silver" and "Heavenly Creatures", and has "The Lovely Bones" as his next at-bat, the last I heard (I'm terrible at following these things.)

Sure, he's executive-producing the "Halo" movie, but the fact that he could have easily taken that juicy plum and instead handed it off to Guillermo Del Toro is telling, I think.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:22 pm

Yeah, I actually like that Jackson still is drawn to the small stuff. It helps him keep his focus on character and intimacy in the midst of such incredible spectacle.

I pray that guys like Michael Bay would learn a lesson from this.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby jgraphix on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:23 pm

His movies may become blockbusters by accident, with people that loved his previous films and new films all coming together to see what he will be up to in The Lovely Bones...then if it isn't what people expect ...unless the next film he makes is a spectacle..he will probably be forgotten by most.

I for one, would love to see PJ go back to his horror roots.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby unikrunk on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:28 pm

Ribbons wrote:
unikrunk wrote:Richard Kelly certainly.

Richard Kelly? Not to ruffle any feathers, but why don't we wait 'til he makes at least two movies first? Same argument applies to Zack Snyder and Rian Johnson, whose first movie hasn't even come out yet(!). These guys are rock stars in the making, sure, but I wouldn't trip all over ourselves to give them the title of "next great director" just yet.

You make a good point. I guess I am looking at this as a prediction type-a-thingy, regarding very green directors.

That's why I personally would not put Wes Anderson up there. I think he is in the 'in-between' camp that MW was speaking about.

That being said, I think Richard Kelly belongs up there just as much as Aronofsky.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:28 pm

Id like to put Doug Liman up for contention - Swingers, Go, The Bourne Identity, Mr & Mrs Smith - already a good variety, with Bourne exscellent small scale action and espionage better than any Bond lately, with Go, teen cool and a plot that would make a fan of 'Crash' confused, with swingers some freas single guy perspective (courtesy of scriptwriter Favreau) - Cant wait to see what he does next (Jumper next year)
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby John-Locke on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:31 pm

Have you read The Lovely Bones?

It's going to be HUGE, the book has sold millions and it's pretty damn good too story wise, not expertly written but still quite an achievement.

It's certainly going to define him as a director.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:37 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Personally, Joss Whedon just speaks to me.

Joss Whedon speaking inside MasterWhedon's head wrote:Chop uppa you neighbor inna to little bits, eh? Anna put them inna the bag... now drive a through 5 states wearing the face of a you neighbor as a the mask, eh? Anna send a the money to me, you putz!

MasterWhedon wrote:Yes, O Dark Lord anna Master! I hear anna I obey, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby unikrunk on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:37 pm

jgraphix wrote:His movies may become blockbusters by accident, with people that loved his previous films and new films all coming together to see what he will be up to in The Lovely Bones...then if it isn't what people expect ...unless the next film he makes is a spectacle..he will probably be forgotten by most.

I for one, would love to see PJ go back to his horror roots.

I find that premise highly dubious, considering the man created arguably the best fantasy movies ever, the last of which won 11 Oscars. He is a brand now, and people will go see his smaller films. I also think he will do more event films - personally (sorry Harry / Favreau), I think John Carter of Mars would be a nice thing for him to do, or even, dare I say it, something original.

Original, horrifying, and HUGE.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:39 pm

unikrunk wrote:Original, horrifying, and HUGE.

I'm pretty sure he will do something epic soon, hopefully he'll make Bad Taste 2 after Lovely Bones then I want to see him do an over the top adventure with epic proportions, something like Clash of the Titans or Flash Gordon.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby jgraphix on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:41 pm

I will always side with orginality, getting fresh new blood out there is always refreshing..instead of re-hashing something that has already been done, and although my comment was dubious, think of the new viewers in Jackson's fanbase that started with LOTR. If he goes back to making movies like Heavenly Creatures...I bet he will lose that demographic.
Last edited by jgraphix on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:42 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

Joss Whedon speaking inside MasterWhedon's head wrote:Chop uppa you neighbor inna to little bits, eh? Anna put them inna the bag... now drive a through 5 states wearing the face of a you neighbor as a the mask, eh? Anna send a the money to me, you putz!

ahahahahahahah!

IPAMPILASH DINO BAMBINO
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Vegeta on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:46 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha... Oh wait :shock:
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby unikrunk on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:49 pm

jgraphix wrote:I will always side with orginality, getting fresh new blood out there is always refreshing..instead of re-hashing something that has already been done, and although my comment was dubious, think of the new viewers in Jackson's fanbase that started with LOTR. If he goes back to making movies like Heavenly Creatures...I bet he will lose that demographic.

Agreed, a lot of Level 8 Wizards and Chaotic Neutral Mages will not be going to see the smaller stuff. But the ones that have managed to somehow attain a girl/boy friend, or have moved out of their parent’s garage since then may.

I don’t think LOTR made it on geek power - My parents turned me on to the books, and not only are they not geeks, they are very normal. I think a lot of people went because of word of mouth that the movies were very good, not because they had previous exposure to the source material.

/and yes, originality over regurgitation any day of the week.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:50 pm

jgraphix wrote:I will always side with orginality, getting fresh new blood out there is always refreshing..instead of re-hashing something that has already been done, and although my comment was dubious, think of the new viewers in Jackson's fanbase that started with LOTR. If he goes back to making movies like Heavenly Creatures...I bet he will lose that demographic.

Jackson's tols a few stories now for the whole world as his audience, if he wants to go back to the territories of Heavenly Creatures (or bad Taste, Meet the Feebles or Braindead), it could only be a good thing - I think Kong had a few scenes where the filmmakers were revelling in the excessive gruesomeness and bizarre spectacle, I'd love to see more
'the barstids heve lended!'
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:52 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

:twisted:

I've missed the Dino...
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby jgraphix on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:52 pm

I guess I am thinking of the younger crowd, like 18 and under..probably not going to be interested in more of an arthouse movie.
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:05 pm

jgraphix I can tell you now the EMO crowd (especially teenage girls) are going to go absolutely ape shit over The Lovely Bones, Mothers of all ages are going to embrace it, serious film fans are going to love it, the only mainstream demographic he's going to exclude are teenage boys I think, and they will probably get dragged along with their girlfriends. The film will also be visually stunning with Heaven playing a major role in the film.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Chilli on Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:09 pm

Uwe Boll.

Someday soon we will study his career in classrooms across the world.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby unikrunk on Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:17 pm

Chilli wrote:Uwe Boll.

Someday soon we will study his career in classrooms across the world.

Yes, but in a Hitler/Stalin context.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby jgraphix on Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:21 pm

John-Locke wrote:jgraphix I can tell you now the EMO crowd (especially teenage girls) are going to go absolutely ape shit over The Lovely Bones, Mothers of all ages are going to embrace it, serious film fans are going to love it, the only mainstream demographic he's going to exclude are teenage boys I think, and they will probably get dragged along with their girlfriends. The film will also be visually stunning with Heaven playing a major role in the film.

Don't get me wrong...I want it to do great, so he can continue getting whatever projects he wants to do...IMO the man can do no wrong. Meet the Feebles! I mean C'mon!
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:21 pm

Have you read the book jgraphix? I was just under the impression you thought it was going to be Arthouse all the way, sure it'll play to the Arthouse Crowd a treat but it's a mainstream story really just a little dark and morbid in places.

If you want I can write a spoiler light description of just what goes on in the story.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Next

Return to Director Discussion