The Future Of Directing Greatness!!

Which director made the best films, made the best visuals, or smelled the best? This is the forum to find out.

Postby Theta on Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:37 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:
Because I've seen almost everything he's done (I can't sit through KB2 after trying to get some enjoyment out of KB1) including the episodes of ER and CSI and so far nothing has come close to either PF or RD for me.

You see, I do agree that "Pulp Fiction" is likely going to be in the number one slot of his career when it winds down. You mentioned you're going to give "Kill Bill Vol. 2" a chance, which is good, since they're both separate movies and two parts of a whole.

I have to disagree with you on "Reservoir Dogs", though. It is quite a good film, but it's not as good the second time through because you know all the twists. "Jackie Brown" was a very similar movie in many respects, interestingly.

We'll see where he goes next. "Inglorious Bastards" (the title of which comes from an Italian WWII flick) should be interesting.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:51 am

BUMP...

Vote Now...

ETA: oh yeah - and make sure to post who you voted for and why - if it has not already been explained over and over and over and etc already...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby John-Locke on Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:33 am

Way to go with putting them down alphabetically, it makes it much easier to find who you are looking for.

Having said that I studdied the list good and hard, I was in two minds between Verbinski and Gibson, after some deliberation I decided to vote for Gibson, Verbinski is more in the Spielberg mold and Gibson the Kubrick/Malick one, he has a clear Vision and makes entertaining and Artistic movies, he's like one of the last of old Hollywood. Apocalypto hasn't come out yet but I have a strong feeling it's going to be one of the years best and I look forward to what he's got to offer cinema more than any of the young hotshots on the list who will probably only entertain us rather than challenge our view on the world.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:33 am

John-Locke wrote:Way to go with putting them down alphabetically, it makes it much easier to find who you are looking for.

my apologies... it was difficult enough to get pretty much all the names on there and get things to work right... as i'm sure you know...

but thnx for explaining your choices...

i voted Shymalan... i know he gets a lot of flack and hate from the fans - cause of his twist endings and what-not - but i still think he is one of the surest and most confident storytellers out there right now - every seems to unfold exactely as it did in his head - but - that being said - there's probably at least 3/4's of that list that i wanted to vote for...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:09 pm

From that list I'm going with Christopher Nolan. I've been mightily impressed with his work so far and I think his next film 'The Prestige' is going to be one of the best of 2006.
He seems a director who, as JohnLocke says about Gibson, can merge both the artistic and commercial together without losing sight of the creative process in doing that.
I'd give an honorable mention to George Clooney as well. And one director not on the list (no, not Aronofsky!) who I think we'll hear a lot more of is Bennett Miller. 'Capote' was a finely directed movie.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby MisterCynic on Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:59 pm

unikrunk wrote:Brave Heart was a tremendous success in my eyes, well crafted, historically accurate ...

braveheart is historical accurate in that gibson/wallace got the names right. but thats about it.
MisterCynic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby MisterCynic on Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:16 pm

comparing park's and kubrick's early filmographies, i would have no problem saying their names in the same sentence depending on how chanwook's career shakes out.

listing off the great directors of the 50s, 60s, and 70s and saying there arent counterpoints in the more recent decades is sort of silly. those counterpoints do exist, but the business is such a different place that it may be obfuscated a bit.

and a 'generation' is like 20 years. so how do you put someone on the list of potential best directors of the future generation who was making movies 15-20 years ago?

i would say arokofsky, pta, chanwook park, kim ki-duk, maybe mereilles, maybe kelly... they could be considered great 'future' directors. but raimi? jackson? tarantino? theyve been making movies for so long... you might as well put robert altman on the list, its possible prairie home companion could be one of the best films of the year... but hes still not a future directing talent.
MisterCynic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:02 pm

And Mel Gibson takes the lead!

Whodathunk?
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:20 pm

I quote myself:

MasterWhedon wrote:Personally, Joss Whedon just speaks to me. Not only through the films/shows he writes/directs/creates, but through his outlook on life. There's an element of simpatico I feel with him, that if I was in a position to make a film, I'd make something along his lines, that delivers a similar message. He easily gets my vote.

I am a HUGE fan of many, many other guys on that list, but as an aspiring filmmaker I'm looking first and foremost at the guy closest to my artistic goals and my storytelling sensibilities. Joss Whedon is that guy, though others add tremendously... and come very close.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby tapehead on Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:36 pm

It will be interesting to see the first Weadon feature not heavily related to a t.v. series.
until then,
he's a great television writer and director

television

and that is all
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:39 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:I quote myself:

MasterWhedon wrote:Personally, Joss Whedon just speaks to me. Not only through the films/shows he writes/directs/creates, but through his outlook on life. There's an element of simpatico I feel with him, that if I was in a position to make a film, I'd make something along his lines, that delivers a similar message. He easily gets my vote.

I am a HUGE fan of many, many other guys on that list, but as an aspiring filmmaker I'm looking first and foremost at the guy closest to my artistic goals and my storytelling sensibilities. Joss Whedon is that guy, though others add tremendously... and come very close.

Ditto and ditto.

And tapehead, if Serenity weren't such a well-crafted film, I might be inclined to take a wait-and-see attitude towards Whedon's film career, but it's a damn fine debut film and I think he can only get better. I can't wait to see what he does next.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby tapehead on Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:59 pm

I liked Serenity alot

but without 'Firefly', (which I love and own), a things to consider when you're talking Cinema directors;

would it have been made?

if made, would it have recieved as wide a distribution?

would it have found such an audience?

how come no-one cites the Buffy feature script when they praise Wheadon?

I love Joss Wheadon's work

what do you think?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

thus ends posto el diablo, the beast is awakening, his number has been uttered, and there is no response...............................................
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:06 pm

I voted for Gibson since I didn't think anyone else would. I love his films. He has a way of making things seems epic and important, but without losing the sense of fun and adventure. I also really like Shamalayan and Nolan, though.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:08 pm

I haven't read the actual shooting script, but I do own the comic book Origin, which used Whedon's original draft of the script as it's spine, before changes were made during the shooting of the original film. It's hard to say how the movie would have turned out had they stuck closer to Whedon's original vision, but the comic book showcased Whedon's trademark wit and humor and I enjoyed it.

Plus, Whedon has played script-doctor on numerous of well-recieved films, so it's not like he's a neophyte in the world of film. Serenity was his feature film directorial debut. Considering the jump Whedon made from "Prophecy Girl" (the first thing he's ever directed) to "Once More With Feeling" to Serenity, I think he's learned a great deal over the years and he's put it to good use. I also think he's always striving to do better, so he can only improve from here.

This thread is about future greatness, and I think Whedon has as much potential as anyone else mentioned in this thread, if not greater.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby John-Locke on Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:11 pm

HA, Gibson in the lead is really astonishing and I'm suprised but not suprised at the same time, this is fascinating.

Really who would have thought it?

For me it's just that he doesn't comprimise and it's his vision on the screen, he makes what he wants when he wants, a little totalitarian maybe in his approach but still you have to respect him for getting his vision on the screen, the more I think about it the more I think I voted wisely.

As I said earlier Gibson reminds me of Kubrick a bit (although their views on the world are different) and Verbinski reminds me of Spielberg. Thinking about it more I suppose Chan Wook Park reminds me of Hitchcock the most, a vote for him is more than valid for a future great in my eyes. Whedon on the other hand... James Cameron maybe? He's not really got anything to say he just knows how to make it cool, difference being Jim makes it look cool and Joss makes it sound cool (if you like that sort of dialogue).
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby tapehead on Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:20 pm

'You can't take this guy from me"
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:22 pm

tapehead wrote:It will be interesting to see the first Weadon feature not heavily related to a t.v. series.
until then,

television

and that is all

Tapehead, I think that's all sorts of backwards. I've listened to comments like yours many, many times before (when discussing Serenity in particular), and I really don't care for it when film geeks snobbishly look down upon television. While a great deal of TV is cheap, simple and produced simply to make a buck, there is plenty of art there, and it's not all on HBO.

Television shows don't have the time or money to compete with the biggest films, sure, but I will ten times out of ten prefer great long-form storytelling to a two-hour film. Perhaps this has to do more with the writers and showrunners than it does the directors of specific episodes, but I think it's all equal in the end. The auteur theory applies to the author, the creator, and that ain't always the guy literally calling the shots on a TV show.

I think Serenity is an incredibly strong feature debut for any filmmaker, but I personally don't see it as that. I see it as an incredible leap forward by a guy who's already been directing for eigth years or so, and as an indication of how strong his two-hour, feature film storytelling sense is.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Lady Sheridan on Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:41 pm

John-Locke wrote:HA, Gibson in the lead is really astonishing and I'm suprised but not suprised at the same time, this is fascinating.

No kidding.

I felt compelled to vote for Gibson after my vocal defendings, but it was a tough call, but I am amazed to see him in the lead.

Christopher Nolan and Gore Verbinski would probably be my next picks, with a tip of the heat to Joss Whedon.

"The Village" cost M.Night my vote. I'll back up Havoc and say I think he has enormous potential and I am very interested to see more from him. The potential is there. But now he has become a punchline and I want to see him buck that before I consider him a great. He has a unique style, so I have hope, but he has to prove he isn't just tricks. I think the way for him to do that is to adapt something that he didn't write himself. I still think he would be the perfect guy to film Connie Willis' "Passage" although even that has a twist, but it's in the middle and completely changes the nature of the story.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby tapehead on Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:54 pm

Master Whedon, you've not addressed the questions I've posed here or elsewhere
I'm not looking down my nose at television, just pointing out it's a fundamentally different medium - there's no 'previously, on Buffy' for a debut feature, in most cases.
I liked Serenity alot - I knew the characters and premises and much of the back story already.

My initial comments and remarks, and my four queries have not been addressed. I've been teasing a little, but no harm has been intended. I think I have some valid points if you're comparing first featues with, for instance
Aranovsky's 'Pi'
Guillermo Del Toro's 'Chronos'
Danny Boyle's 'Shallow Grave'
Matthew Vaughn's 'Layer Cake'
Christopher Nolan's 'Following'
Jonze's 'Being John Malkovitch'
Richard Kelly's 'Donny Darko'
Edgar Wright's 'Shaun of the Dead'
Steven Soderbergh's 'Sex, Lies and videotape'
Sam Mendes' 'American Beauty'

just off the top of my head

I'm not backwards, I'm looking forwards
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:14 pm

tapehead wrote:I liked Serenity alot

but without 'Firefly', (which I love and own), a things to consider when you're talking Cinema directors;

would it have been made?

if made, would it have recieved as wide a distribution?

would it have found such an audience?

how come no-one cites the Buffy feature script when they praise Wheadon?

I love Joss Wheadon's work

what do you think?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

thus ends posto el diablo, the beast is awakening, his number has been uttered, and there is no response...............................................

#1 Universal was keen on establishing a working relationship with Joss Whedon prior to this project. It just so happened that Whedon was attempting to ressurrect Firefly at the same time Universal was starting talks with him. They eventually came to an agreement and the movie was born.

#2 If Serenity was somehow made in a vacuum, I believe it would have received as wide of a release simply because it's a) Universal and b) they didn't spend all that money on the movie not to try to make it back. They were hoping for a franchise.

#3 I think it's audience size would have remained roughly the same, which is and still would be rather small. The movie was released in the fall and it's marketing was questionable. If Firefly had never existed, Joss Whedon's name still would have pulled the devoted that opening weekend.

#4 I already answered this question in an above post.

Here are some other first films:

Pirhana II: The Spawning - James Cameron

Nomads - John McTiernan

Fear and Desire - Stanley Kubrick

The Pleasure Garden - Alfred Hitchcock

Goldstein - Philip Kaufman

Grand Theft Auto - Ron Howard

Thief - Michael Mann

None of these lit the box office or garnered much acclaim. None of these films are considered classics now. Yet all of those directors went on to great success, directing such films Titanic, Die Hard, A Clockwork Orange, Psycho, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Apollo 13, and Heat.

Some directors hit the ground running while others slowly build their careers over time. The fact that some directors get a better headstart than others isn't really relevant, IMO. The question is, do we think they have the talent and future potential to be listed amongst the greats? In Whedon's case, yes, yes I do.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:42 pm

tapehead wrote:Master Whedon, you've not addressed the questions I've posed here or elsewhere
I'm not looking down my nose at television, just pointing out it's a fundamentally different medium - there's no 'previously, on Buffy' for a debut feature, in most cases.
I liked Serenity alot - I knew the characters and premises and much of the back story already.

I think Rogue handled your questions just fine. Me, I was as interested in tackling them as I was in rebutting your slight of television writer/directors. You can say that you wasn't your intent, but I still take the following comment as such:

tapehead wrote:It will be interesting to see the first Weadon feature not heavily related to a t.v. series.
until then,

television

and that is all

It's the "television/that is all" that gets me. As if to say the directorial work the man has shown in his television shows and his first feature are somehow not worthy of being discussed here. To me, that's silly.

Rogue got it right when talking about the potential of these filmmakers. He and I both see it in Whedon, in everything from Buffy to Angel to Firefly to Serenity to Fray to Astonishing X-Men to, I'm sure, Wonder Woman and Goners.

The man has a clear vision, regardless of the medium. To me, that makes him the truest of storytellers.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby tapehead on Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:17 am

I've had a think on this - fair enough. I do think there is a difference between between television and film, I probably do think, by and large, that . I'm not going to go with this further - Whedon is a promising director and based upon 'Serenity', its valid to discuss him here, and, really, I can't wait to see the next film he directs, or any tv projects in the future (probably films first and foremost, but again, that's my bias). I'd really like to discuss the points I made with someone, so It's good at least I can put them up here.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:11 am

RogueScribner wrote:Here are some other first films:

Okay, can we stop calling this a Cameron film already? I think it's been well documented that he had no control over the outcome of this film.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:34 am

Not to belabor the discussion, but I think MasterWhedon is correct in saying that the quality of television these days is as good, if not better, than films.

IMO, the quality of The Shield, The Sopranos, Battlestar Galactica, My Name is Earl, The Office, South Park, House, 24 and Lost are up there with the likes of 40 Year Old Virgin, Fantastic Four, Batman Begins, War of the Worlds, Crash, Sin City, Munich and Revenge of the Sith. The only real difference between the two mediums is scale, but even that margin is slowly shrinking.

So the fact that a film director got started in TV is not detrimental, in my opinion. Spielberg started in TV, and other notable filmmakers cut their teeth on television as well, like Robert Altman, Wolfgang Petersen, Woody Allen, Mel Brooks, and Ridley Scott. Talent is talent, no matter the medium. Whedon says he wants to focus on a film career now, and considering his work thus far, I think he has a bright future ahead of him.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:35 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:
Here are some other first films:

Okay, can we stop calling this a Cameron film already? I think it's been well documented that he had no control over the outcome of this film.

Okay, how about Jonathan Demme and Caged Heat? That's another winner. :P
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:35 am

What, no Wong Kar Wai? Shame on you! Clearly, asian cinema
is where its at, where its been, and where its going.

And haven't Luc Besson and Soderbergh making films for well
over 20 years or more? (Actaully, I think Wong Kar Wai has
been around awhile as well.)

Anyways, out of the list, I voted for Chan Wook Park; mostly because
his films represent some of the most visually arresting, challenging,
transgressive and (I'd argue) oddly beautiful stuff out
there today...

I think once he gets a change to get away from vengence and
explore some other emotions, he's really going to open up as
an artist.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Chilli on Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:13 am

Okay who voted for Mel Gibson?
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:26 am

Chilli wrote:Okay who voted for Mel Gibson?

5 people so far... and i think most have replied in this thread already as to why...

who did you vote for...?

and:
ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:What, no Wong Kar Wai? Shame on you!

i hear ya - i was originally going to put him in - he was one of my initial nominations in the 1st thread - but i could only put a certain amount - and i believe he was placed in locke's gretest director's poll - sorry... and i kinda agree with youn soderbergh and besson - but even though soderbergh has won an oscar - i believe alot of great work is ahead of him - at least cause of the fact that he keeps experimenting and not always doig the same thing - besson - unfortunately has finally made a new film - first one directed since the messenger - and even though he has alot of geek love - i don't think he's had that one great film yet to define him - he's had moments - but i think - one of these days/years - he's going to completely blow us away...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Chilli on Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:27 am

Joss Whedon - because I thought Serenity was a brilliant evolution of the show... and visually a world away from it -- Joss using the increased scope and effects without minimising the characters.

Plus 'Hush' and 'The Body' are two episodes of TV I'd personally rank above 75% of the films I've seen in terms of directing.

Re: Mel Gibson... I didn't read those posts... I'm just curious how someone whose on his fourth film, and is already considered great by many, gets so many vores on a future greatness poll.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Chilli on Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:34 am

Oh - see I thought we were going to acclaim the hip, happening directors and not the truly established ones.

If its both groups, then thats cool.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:37 am

Chilli wrote:
Re: Mel Gibson... I didn't read those posts... I'm just curious how someone whose on his fourth film, and is already considered great by many, gets so many vores on a future greatness poll.

because he's only on his 4th movie - and considered to be great already - and most of us are curious and pumped to see exactely what he has in store for us in the future... i mentioned it earlier i think at one point - that it's kinda nice to see him do the whole Eastwood thing and focus more on directing now in his later years - and i think he has a long prolific career of directing ahead of him...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby John-Locke on Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:03 am

Well Gibson has only had 3 films come out, he's on his fourth film right now.

Damn I hope Whedon doesn't win, if all the browncoats turn up this poll will become a farce, seriously think about what you are voting for, is he entertaining? Yes, is he going to make anything thats going to be trully great? I very much doubt it, I suppose it all depends on what you'd call great, Spielberg makes films in many genres and deserves the credit, Whedon looks like a one trick pony to me. Where's the depth?

Oh and Buffy sucked big time.

Fucking no good TV Hack.

:)
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby doglips on Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:08 am

John-Locke wrote:Well Gibson has only had 3 films come out, he's on his fourth film right now.

Damn I hope Whedon doesn't win, if all the browncoats turn up this poll will become a farce, seriously think about what you are voting for, is he entertaining? Yes, is he going to make anything thats going to be trully great? I very much doubt it, I suppose it all depends on what you'd call great, Spielberg makes films in many genres and deserves the credit, Whedon looks like a one trick pony to me. Where's the depth?

Fucking no good TV Hack.

LOL!

I was wondering how MasterWhedon voted so many times?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:08 am

John-Locke wrote:

Fucking no good TV Hack.

havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Belac on Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:10 am

Agreed. PT Anderson has made my favourite film (Magnolia) and I love all his other stuff. I agree with all the praise Mel Gibson has received in this thread. Even though I'm not overly keen on most of his films, I think M. Night is a brilliant director. Fernando Mereilles, George Clooney, Christopher Nolan, Spike Jonze, Darren Aronofsky, Frank Darabont and quite a few others from the poll have made amazing films and will go on to do so.

But then of them have effected my like Whedon. None of them have made me wanna write a script of my own, or imagine myself directing. Objectively he's definitely one of the best up and comers. Subjectively he's by far my favourite storyteller of all time.
Belac
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Belac on Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:12 am

Oh, yeah. I forgot I was on AICN. Any praise for Whedon is automatically from an obsessed Browncoat. Oops. Disregard everything I just said. Obviously he SUCKS.
Belac
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:22 am

Wow - can't believe Gibbo has so many votes. Park me up, please!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:57 am

Belac wrote:Oh, yeah. I forgot I was on AICN. Any praise for Whedon is automatically from an obsessed Browncoat. Oops. Disregard everything I just said. Obviously he SUCKS.

I was talking about the way "Browncoats" are notoriously organised and will turn up anywhere on the net to support their Lord & Saviour Jossus Christ, obviously existing members of the Zone don't fall in this category but they do exist and are the main reason Serenity came top in so many polls last year, they'd register numerous times (in some cases hundreds/thousands like the Film 2005 poll in the UK).

I was saying IF they turn up this poll could become a farce, hopefully they are all to busy either doing the old "Tuck between the legs" looking at themselves in the mirror pretending to be Buffy or Lesbian Willow whilst dressed in their sisters halloween costumes (in the case of the boys *BOYS NOT MEN*) or they are busy listening to EMO music whilst participating in a little self abuse and getting blood poisoning (in the case of the girls).

There that should ruffle some feathers

:twisted:
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:13 am

John-Locke wrote: they are busy listening to EMO music whilst participating in a little self abuse and getting blood poisoning (in the case of the girls).

Well it certianly ruffled mine. Who are these girls, where can they be found, what Gothic nightclubs do they go to etc?

As for this Whedon bloke, I dunno. Hard to comment, haven't seen all this Firefly nonsense, but so far he seems to have established himself as a fantasy storyteller (and not all of them that great, Buffy has many a dull moment or an episode, just that it contains chicks).

Dunno how that can give a good enough example so far, that he can achieve the same 'standard' in other genres of movie storytelling, which IMO he needs to do to be considered a true Directing great, and so far it's too early to tell that he's gonna be that I would imagine.

Not many director's here I have checked out. Most ofthe ones who I have done though and get mentioned here I find a bit questionable. Schyamalan if anything, has proved that he is NOT gonna be one of the greats, as he seems to be burning himself out on his own style so far, by repeating it over and over again by the sounds of it, until it has just got stale and inneffective. He needs something new, and hasn't done so yet.

I'll throw my best guess, and it isn't a fully qualified one, that one of the best potential Director's for future greatness would be Bryan Singer. So far he's made solid movies that have the same strengths as some of the past time greats, and rarely has he put a foot wrong so far in his 4 films.

Normally you usually make some kind of a misfire or unappreciated film by the time you've reached your third, but he's kept a confident and assured consistency throughout. It don't look like he's gonna stop, and I guess with Superman, this film is headed for a rather epic approach which I think Singer is ideal for.

The only request I do have for the guy, is that he let's his hair down a bit and let's part of his movies breath/take on an energy of their own, rather than keeping a tight lid on things.

Well, he's the best that I can think of. By no means a perfect director, but pretty damn close. I'll check out the complete list of Directors before I can give my final verdict, which will probably be like never, with the amount of DVD purchase/rent funds that I have available.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:28 am

John-Locke wrote:
Belac wrote:Oh, yeah. I forgot I was on AICN. Any praise for Whedon is automatically from an obsessed Browncoat. Oops. Disregard everything I just said. Obviously he SUCKS.

I was talking about the way "Browncoats" are notoriously organised and will turn up anywhere on the net to support their Lord & Saviour Jossus Christ, obviously existing members of the Zone don't fall in this category but they do exist and are the main reason Serenity came top in so many polls last year, they'd register numerous times (in some cases hundreds/thousands like the Film 2005 poll in the UK).

I was saying IF they turn up this poll could become a farce, hopefully they are all to busy either doing the old "Tuck between the legs" looking at themselves in the mirror pretending to be Buffy or Lesbian Willow whilst dressed in their sisters halloween costumes (in the case of the boys *BOYS NOT MEN*) or they are busy listening to EMO music whilst participating in a little self abuse and getting blood poisoning (in the case of the girls).

That made my day.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:10 pm

John-Locke wrote:Well Gibson has only had 3 films come out, he's on his fourth film right now.

Fucking no good TV Hack.

OH IT'S ON, LOCKE, IT'S A O-ON!!!

:P
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:14 pm

John-Locke wrote:I was saying IF they turn up this poll could become a farce, hopefully they are all to busy either doing the old "Tuck between the legs" looking at themselves in the mirror pretending to be Buffy or Lesbian Willow whilst dressed in their sisters halloween costumes (in the case of the boys *BOYS NOT MEN*) or they are busy listening to EMO music whilst participating in a little self abuse and getting blood poisoning (in the case of the girls).

I only did it those three times and only because I was trying to imbody the spirit of the one true Slayer. All evil must be vanquished and I am the instrument of GOD!!!

:lol:
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:44 pm

John-Locke wrote:Damn I hope Whedon doesn't win, if all the browncoats turn up this poll will become a farce, seriously think about what you are voting for, is he entertaining? Yes, is he going to make anything thats going to be trully great? I very much doubt it, I suppose it all depends on what you'd call great, Spielberg makes films in many genres and deserves the credit, Whedon looks like a one trick pony to me. Where's the depth?

Fucking no good TV Hack.

John-Locke wrote:I was talking about the way "Browncoats" are notoriously organised and will turn up anywhere on the net to support their Lord & Saviour Jossus Christ, obviously existing members of the Zone don't fall in this category but they do exist and are the main reason Serenity came top in so many polls last year, they'd register numerous times (in some cases hundreds/thousands like the Film 2005 poll in the UK).

:evil:

War. This means nothing short of war.

My frist strike will be to destroy your leader--David Lynch.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby John-Locke on Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:00 pm

Bring it don't sing it.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby colonel_lugz on Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:14 pm

Papa.........

GET..............OUT!!
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:16 pm

Think I would go for Joss Whedon.

He is just coming into his own and look how long Serenity has stayed in the charts while everything else has been knocked off.

Im am desperately waiting to see what his next big project is. I hope its more from Serenity.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby John-Locke on Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:20 pm

VOTE NOW

LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:29 pm

Wow this is a pretty tough decision...I am going to have to mull it over for a while.

For me...its between Clooney, Soderbergh and Aronofsky.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:33 pm

I actually went with Edgar wright, I think he is still finding his feet but he progresses more and more with every project he embarks upon..............I was gonna go with Favreau but if he gets any bigger he'll burst hence he wont be in the future.....STOP EATING PIES FAVREAU!
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:21 am

Fucking no good TV Hack.

i just don't see how Whedon can be compared to talents such as P.T. Anderson, Wes Anderson, Aronofsky, Del Toro, Tarantino, etc.- guys who are real artists. sure, "Serenity" was entertaining fun, but it is fluff compared to the works of the above-mentioned guys' work, and nothing Whedon has done in any medium so far is anything other than lightweight fare, as fun or entertaining as some may find it. and Buffy was fluff compared to fluff. even a guy like Tarantino who's subject material is pulp-ish, really crafts his films, using framing, color, angles, score, etc, to create something more than a script being read by actors in front of a camera. imo, Whedon has a lot of growing to do before earning a spot among his contemporaries who have exhibited a higher degree of skill and maturity as filmmakers to date.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

PreviousNext

Return to Director Discussion