The Future Of Directing Greatness!!

Which director made the best films, made the best visuals, or smelled the best? This is the forum to find out.

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:40 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Yeh they can go off but we should add some new ones too because that poll is about 2 years old now.

I think we should put on whomever made the Chad Vader youtube clips...

Maybe Reitman?? (ducks the Juno haterz) Or do you think he's done too much.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby DaleTremont on Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:47 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Yeh they can go off but we should add some new ones too because that poll is about 2 years old now.

I think we should put on whomever made the Chad Vader youtube clips...

Maybe Reitman?? (ducks the Juno haterz) Or do you think he's done too much.

He's only done two features, no?

I'd add him and Joe Wright, as I said before. Also James Gunn. He's built up an interesting body of work but is still pretty untested as a feature director.

You could put Karyn Kusama up there, I suppose. Aeon Flux was pretty much godawful but it had its moments...and she's doing Jennifer's Body (takes cover with Moo from Juno haterz).
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:50 pm

Go with director's with 3 or less full films on their CV.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:16 pm

Howsabout whatshisface? You know who I mean. That guy who directed that movie... he's the best!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:40 pm

Ribbons wrote:Howsabout whatshisface? You know who I mean. That guy who directed that movie... he's the best!

Apollo Creed?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:49 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Go with director's with 3 or less full films on their CV.

Ben Affleck

He only has Gone Baby Gone.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:52 pm

Sarah Polley

"Away from Her"

Cuz there's no women on that damn list!!!
Maui
WoWie

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Maui wrote:Sarah Polley

"Away from Her"

Cuz there's no women on that damn list!!!

We could add one of the Wachowskis...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Maui on Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:35 pm

We can now, we couldn't 2 years ago when this thread was created.

Just add Sarah, please?

Surprises me really the lack of female directors out there.
Maui
WoWie

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:58 pm

Maui wrote:Surprises me really the lack of female directors out there.

Your ovaries command you to read this thread...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby filmtx1 on Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:41 pm

I voted for Darren Aronofsky, but I would have voted for Michael Winterbottom (my favorite contemporary director) if he had been on the list.
Nobody likes a blonde in a hamster ball.
filmtx1
GLIB

Re: The Future Of Directing Greatness!! Joe Wright

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:26 pm

Joe Wright Discusses HANNA, Tracking Shots, Rock-Star Camera Operators, And His Love Of Filmmaking With Mr. Beaks!
Since making his feature filmmaking debut in 2005 with PRIDE AND PREJUDICE, Joe Wright has seemed acutely aware of Orson Welles's admonition that "anybody can make movies with a pair of scissors and a two-inch lens." In each of his films, he's executed at least one technically complex tracking shot - typically as a means of immersing his audience in a "foreign" land (e.g. The Netherfield Ball in PRIDE AND PREJUDICE, the beach at Dunkirk in ATONEMENT, and downtown Los Angeles's Skid Row in THE SOLOIST). But in his latest film, HANNA, Wright's obligatory single-shot flourish serves a more formal purpose: it's about demolishing an aesthetic. By staging a one-take brawl - between Eric Bana and four assassins in an underground train station - that allows you to clearly view every punch, feint and kick, Wright has reminded us that fight scenes can be every bit as fluid and breathtaking as an Astaire-Rodgers pas de deux. It's the badly-needed antidote to too many years of BOURNE-inspired shoot-for-the-edit sloppiness.

But there's much more to Wright than lengthy takes. Along with knowing how to let a shot play well beyond the point of blinking, the man possesses - in concert with Paul Thothill - a remarkably clean and kinetic editorial sensibility. In ATONEMENT, he timed passages of the film to the clickety-clack typewriter rhythm of Dario Marianelli's magnificent score; with HANNA, it's the throbbing music of The Chemical Brothers that drives the picture - and the action - forward. Wright is one of the few filmmakers I can think of who gets in the pocket like a drummer; you might even find your head bobbing to the editing beat as Saoirse Ronan cracks one skull after another. This movie grooves. And, again, the action is staged and cut with such precision, you always know what's going on.

With HANNA, Wright has proven he can break free of the prestige-picture racket and craft a straight-up crowd-pleaser anytime he likes - which seems a relief to him. In talking with the director a few weeks ago during the film's press junket, he expressed considerable distaste for the awards season "snake pit". Though there will likely be an awards push down the road for some aspects of his latest picture, he's quite happy that HANNA will, for now, be judged simply as a movie. He better enjoy it while he can: his next film - a Tom Stoppard-scripted adaptation of Leo Tolstoy's ANNA KARENINA starring Keira Knightley - will surely live and die on its potential to earn multiple Academy Award nominations.

Prior to the start of our interview, Wright, who was a little punchy from a long weekend of answering the same questions over and over again, decided to stretch out on a couch adjacent to the chair in which I was seated - thus creating a psychiatrist/patient tableau. It made us both laugh, so I decided to run with it before getting into the Q&A - which was far livelier than I expected. It's always a pleasure to chat with a filmmaker who genuinely loves making movies as much as we love watching them. Wright has it in him to be one of the greats before it's all said and faded to black.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Future Of Directing Greatness!! (VOTE NOW!!!)

Postby Ribbons on Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:32 am

SPEAKING of the talented Mr. Wright, now might be a good time to revamp the poll (or start a new thread if you're so inclined :wink: ). A lot of these guys have been around long enough to cross over into "established" greatness, and there's a fresh new crop of up-and-comers to choose from.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Seppuku on Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:42 am

It's pretty funny seeing Luc Besson's name on that poll.

I voted Wright- if he can ever get any funding again.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Ribbons on Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:54 pm

I pared down the list to people who I thought would still qualify. I didn't add any names yet, but if anybody wants to suggest some - Duncan Jones, Cary Fukunaga, etc. - let me know.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Robert Altman

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 03, 2014 5:35 am

MisterCynic wrote:comparing park's and kubrick's early filmographies, i would have no problem saying their names in the same sentence depending on how chanwook's career shakes out.

listing off the great directors of the 50s, 60s, and 70s and saying there arent counterpoints in the more recent decades is sort of silly. those counterpoints do exist, but the business is such a different place that it may be obfuscated a bit.

and a 'generation' is like 20 years. so how do you put someone on the list of potential best directors of the future generation who was making movies 15-20 years ago?

i would say arokofsky, pta, chanwook park, kim ki-duk, maybe mereilles, maybe kelly... they could be considered great 'future' directors. but raimi? jackson? tarantino? theyve been making movies for so long... you might as well put robert altman on the list, its possible prairie home companion could be one of the best films of the year... but hes still not a future directing talent.

Departures looks at films by talents who defied expectations and tried something different. Are these films true anomalies, or not quite the left turns they appear to be?
How Robert Altman turned Popeye into an Altman movie
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Future Of Directing Greatness!!

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:37 am

‘Maleficent’s Robert Stromberg Closing On ‘Ted’ For Most Successful In Losing Helming Virginity
MIKE FLEMING JR wrote:UPDATE:
Well, my bad on this one. Robert Stromberg has a ways to go before his camp can claim the first timer worldwide gross record. Right now, that resides with Seth MacFarlane, whose feature debut Ted grossed $549 million worldwide. They can call me back if he eclipses the mark as his reps had claimed. I forgot about MacFarlane.

With Maleficent reaching $521 million, Robert Stromberg has set the global box office record for the biggest-grossing live-action directing debut. He has toppled Joseph Kosinski, whose first outing Tron Legacy grossed just slightly more than $400 million worldwide. Stromberg far outpaces Rupert Sanders, who came up just short of passing Kosinski when he directed Snow White And The Huntsman, which grossed $396 million. In setting his record, Kosinski beat JJ Abrams, whose Mission: Impossible III grossed $398 million.

Now, people still dispute whether the $170 million Tron Legacy was a hit or not, and some might feel that with today’s escalating budgets that breaking the first-timer record is no big deal. I’d argue it’s quite an accomplishment. Consider the other highly touted first time shooters who didn’t fare nearly as well. Wally Pfister made his directorial debut after a long career as an ace cinematographer for such filmmakers as Chris Nolan. He helmed Alcon’s Transcendence, the Johnny Depp film that was a colossal flop, costing $100 million and grossing only $78 million worldwide. The other big debut came from Carl Rinsch, the commercials wiz who helmed 47 Ronin. Another massive flop, it cost $170 million and grossed $151 million worldwide for Universal.

Stromberg is the Oscar-winning visual effects artists whose past experience set him up well to handle a fairy tale tapestry. Among his films have been James Cameron’s Avatar, Tim Burton’s Alice In Wonderland, Sam Raimi’s Oz The Great And Powerful, and Ang Lee’s Life Of Pi. Kosinski held the first timer record for three years. It seems likely that the CAA-repped Stromberg will hang onto it for longer than that.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:26 pm

I'm a big fan of the up-and-coming Jeff Nichols, who with his new film Midnight Special is on the cusp of having "arrived," as the kids say. This thoughtful interview makes me like him even more:

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/jeff-nichols-doesnt-care-if-you-like-the-ending-to-midnight-special
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Previous

Return to Director Discussion