Best Peter Jackson

Which director made the best films, made the best visuals, or smelled the best? This is the forum to find out.

Favourite PJ

Bad Taste
2%
Meet the Feebles
2%
Braindead aka Dead Alive
17%
Heavenly Creatures
15%
Forgotten Silver
3%
The Frighteners
No votes
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring EE
28%
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers EE
8%
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King EE
18%
King Kong
7%

Total votes : 60

Best Peter Jackson

Postby John-Locke on Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:35 pm

In honour of our newest Zoner dimnix I thought we could decide on the Zones favourite Peter Jackson film.
Last edited by John-Locke on Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:44 pm

Braindead. It's Jackson venting all his blood n guts obsesssions ready to move into "serious" film making.

And of course the immortal, "I kick ass for the Lord"
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby St. Alphonzo on Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:49 pm

Bad Taste paved the way for the mayhem to come in Braindead and Feebles. Its disgusting and just plain goofy.

I love that flick.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Bean on Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:50 pm

Return of the King was mouth droppingly good.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:17 pm

I've said this elsewhere, but I still weep during the Ride of the Rohirrim. ROTK is PJ's crown jewel. Kong will have to do A LOT to even touch it.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby lyra belacqua on Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:20 pm

Heavenly Creatures.

I really liked the LOTR movies, but HC was everything a small little drama should be. Melanie Lynskey and Kate Winslet were perfect in it. Plus, it was the first Peter Jackson movie I ever saw and the horror ones that I saw later never compared to the horror in Heavenly Creatures.
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:26 pm

Lyra, I agree wholeheartedly, though I still put it a notch below the grandeur of ROTK. I'm a big geek though, so take it with a grain of salt.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby dimnix on Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:27 pm

Hehe, man, so hard to choose! Different genres, very different films...all are great in some way.

Cheers for the poll in my honor, although I've gotta tell ya - I havent seen the full film of King Kong. but from what I have seen I expect it to be nothing short of extraordinary.

And which one did I vote for? well, since it's so hard to choose, I didnt even pick one that I'd consider a favourite, but since nobody else will - I gave FORGOTTEN SILVER some love. It deserves atleast one vote. That mockumentry cracked me up. It's a real kiwi thing, too.

But when it comes to favourites...I'd say it's a mix between Brain Dead and Return Of The King.
dimnix
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby bluebottle on Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:06 pm

Braid Dead has a special place in my heart.

I was 18, stoned and had a big bowl of pasta in front of me, and a friend said, "do you want to see the goriest film ever made?!"

and i was like, "sure, whatever."

i sat there and ate my big bowl of pasta, transfixed by what WAS INDEED the goriest film ever made.

Heavenly Creatures is his best film, IMO, but I have to vote Brain Dead because of that very special memory.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:14 pm

I think Bad Taste is sicker than Brain Dead, Drinking from the bowl of hot Vomit "Mmm, I got a crunchy bit" Derek's head opening up, The magnum shot to the head on the beach, PJ eating remains of head with a spoon. I first saw it when I was about 12 and don't think anything else has ever been made quite like it. I voted for Fellowship though, I just think it's exceptional, it's scary and beautiful, epic and intimate all at the same time.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby bluebottle on Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:17 pm

I'm ashamed to admit, I've never seen Bad Taste.

I'm afraid.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:18 pm

Oh man I wish I was you and could sit and enjoy Bad taste again with fresh eyes, find it, buy it, enjoy.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:26 pm

With you on Fellowship as well JL, but Creatures and Dead Alive are only a thin pube behind it.

The only time I've ever gagged (and it gets worse each and every time I see it) while watching a film is the pudding scene in Dead Alive. Something about the way he used the sound mix (the slurping), the purely disgusting visual contrast of red blood in the yellow pudding goop, and then the ear getting chewed...automatic gag reflex. It's worse now just knowing it's coming. <shudder>
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:36 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:The only time I've ever gagged (and it gets worse each and every time I see it) while watching a film is the pudding scene in Dead Alive. Something about the way he used the sound mix (the slurping), the purely disgusting visual contrast of red blood in the yellow pudding goop, and then the ear getting chewed...automatic gag reflex. It's worse now just knowing it's coming. <shudder>

Have you seen Bad Taste? The vomit drinking scene is a pretty close second.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:50 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:
Have you seen Bad Taste? The vomit drinking scene is a pretty close second.

I haven't seen it for a looong time but I know I didn't have a gag-eous reaction to it like I did with Dead Alive.

What freaks me is that it gets worse each time I see it. Maybe the anticipation, the knowing that it's coming. I try to detach myself, try to figure out the how and the why those images get to me...but it still makes me queasy.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:31 am

"Heavenly Creatures" astounded me when I saw it in the theater. The human clay sculpture sequence with "Mario Lanza" was astonishing, as was Kate Winslet. I saw it again a couple of years ago and wasn't entranced, but on first viewing I couldn't not watch.

This may be a show of ignorance on my part, but did anyone else know before a few years ago that Winslet's character, Juliet, is now a best-selling novelist? She returned to England upon her release from detention in New Zealand and changed her named to Anne Perry.

She claims she remembers little of the murder. Coincedentally, a character in one of her series of novels is an amnesiac.
Last edited by DennisMM on Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby DennisMM on Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:33 am

St. Alphonzo wrote:Have you seen Bad Taste? The vomit drinking scene is a pretty close second.

Julia and I couldn't ever watch "Bad Taste" together. The very hint of vomiting disturbs her. Neither of us understands why on-screen vomiting with accompanying gagging sounds is used so much.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:14 pm

*hangs head in shame* I have not seen Bad Taste. I love Heavenly Creatures and would like to know whom I have to throttle to get a proper DVD release of it. I have fantastic memories of reading about Dead Alive in Fangoria when I was in high school and then being astounded when I finally saw it. However, I think I would cast my vote for Meet The Feebles based on its sheer lunacy. Puppets aren't supposed to do such things! Even Greg The Bunny is ashamed. If PJ ever takes a break from making giant movies I hope he has the time to make a real DVD of this.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:38 pm

Fellowship!
MasterWhedon, I get chills at the Rohirrim speach in ROTK, but the movie as a whole i didn't like. Felllowship had it all, and was the most anticipated movie of my adult life (and it didn't let me down).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:43 pm

so sorry wrote:Felllowship had it all, and was the most anticipated movie of my adult life (and it didn't let me down).

You can a believe that a the studio anna everyone else involved, they were alla holding a their breaths when a this hit a the theaters, eh? "Holy crappa we've got a lot a the money wrapped up inna the other two films already inna production... what iffa they donna like a this one???"
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:50 pm

I loved Fellowship also because it didn't let me down. After Phantom Menace I was prepared to be let down by every movie that truly meant something to me going forward. Fellowship restored my faith. That said, Fellowship has serious pacing issues, in my opinion (unavoidable, given the source material) and at times feels like a highlight reel to me. Each of the movies is like that in some respects, but I guess I noticed it less in ROTK.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:06 pm

Didn't we just talk about this recently? I guess it wasn't Jackson centric, but I remember comparing the LOTR movies. I remember sharing that the scrubbing bubble army of the dead ruined ROTK for me.

Or was that in Bizarro PZ?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby John-Locke on Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:22 pm

That was in the Starwars Vs LOTR Vs Harry Potter etc thread, basically all the Fantasy Epics.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:59 pm

Who won?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:01 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Who won?

as I recall, there was some debate as to whether you could excise Eps I, II and III from the conversation....if so, I think SW won, if not, I think it was LOTR.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby John-Locke on Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:04 pm

Didn't James Cameron win?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:05 pm

I think you are all winners.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:08 pm

thanks Burl.

JL, now that I think of it, you might be right. I was trying to find the thread, but can't remember where it is, and I'm guessing that doing a search on Star Wars, Harry Potter, LOTR, or Cameron might be an exercise in futility on this site.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:11 pm

Star Wars kicked all of your paltry asses: http://wooderson.aintitcool.com/viewtop ... 8&start=30
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:12 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Star Wars kicked all of your paltry asses: http://wooderson.aintitcool.com/viewtop ... 8&start=30

thanks burl...

wow, I thought it was closer than that...
Lord Voldemoo

Postby John-Locke on Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:17 pm

Yeah I remember it being Star Wars, LOTR & Speilbergo on 3 with Cameron on 4. I guess Star Wars had a late flourish?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:19 pm

Everyone loves some Wookie.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby tapehead on Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:52 pm

Yes I am digging up old threads - there's so many of these polls from pre the Decemberists that didn't get beyond twenty or forty posts, and I was looking for somewhere to talk about Heavenly Creatures.

I watched Bad Taste when it first went to video, on the strength of the title and the cover shot (a cartoon version of the head alien giving the finger) and I've watched it maybe twenty times - "The barstids heve lended!", but not for at least five years, so a repeat performance of his first three movies is coming up soon for me.
Following that I've seen every Jackson film in the Cinema, which for Meet the Feebles and Brain Dead were some of my first trips to art house and cult movie screenings. For that alone I have PJ to be grateful to.
But I think its when I came to Heavenly Creatures that I realised I wasn't just dealing with a master of the bizarre who revelled in the most obscene and disgusting, ridiculous and funny of subject matter.
I've watched HC again recently (after a disagreement in the Hobbit thread about exactly how the murder protrayed is framed and shot), and apart from realising I had remembered a couple of shots wrong (sorry Lugz, there's no strobe effect in the actual murder scenes, but interestingly enough, there is in the the series of shots leading up to it, and the murder itself is shown in an odd time shift where we see the girls being separated, a boat going abroad, and them screaming as they kill her), I saw the film as something else entirely.
I would say that Jackson made Brain Dead as his swan song (at least for now) to gross out, inventive 'b movie' fare - and it's beautiful. Kong, at some points makes slight returns to this territory.
Heavenly Creatures is the template for the films that have followed. For instance, I actually laughed out loud to see the same 'walking shots' used so well in the LOTR trilogy - of a group of travellers walking along a trail, right down to the camera following one of them reaching up and locking on their hand as it gripped an overhanging tree branch - 'invented' in HC.
But it's more than that, this seems to be the film where Jackson and co have explored bringing fantasy to reality, to create a fiction between a group of people that they fully believe on some level. The girls growing obsession with Orsen Welles and Mario Lanza and each other becomes a full blown fantasy world shared just between them, and then us as we watch the movie. It's also the movie where the Wingnut Puppetry and 'men in suits' of his first three movies moved seiously into the Weta workshop and digital era. Significantly, it's the film where his screenwriting partnership with Fran Walsh began, which has continued for everything after (Fran did work on turning Brain Dead into a musical, but wasn't involved in the screenplay)
There are a lot of directors who seem to get trapped by the genre that first gives them success - I'm thinking of Horror directors like Carpenter and Craven in particular, and in this light HC is the place where Jackson was determined to demonstrate he was more than a Director locked into one genre. Off hand I can only think of Sam Raimi as an example of someone who has done similar.
I would love as much as anyone to see Jackson return to the delirium and obscenity of his roots, but it was with HC (and to some extent, the TV mockumentary Forgotten Silver and the mistakes made with the Frighteners - which is not without some nice effects, later employed on LOTR) that jackson proved that was only part of his skills as a filmmaker.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Nordling on Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:02 pm

It took some thinking on my part, but I have to go with FELLOWSHIP. Not only is it a perfect film in its own right, it's the closest to Tolkien.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:13 pm

I've always had a love for Braindead personally. Again, like Tape, it was one of my first 18 certificuate films (that and Reservoir dogs). I never laughed and cried so loud during a film. What I came to realise after owning the film over 4 times is that its not just the slapstick cheap violence, its the characterisations of each individual done to the extreme. Plus, the addition of those wonderous cuts which go from real to fake heads beings ripped off is a work of genius. Does anyone know where he stole that from?
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby tapehead on Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:16 pm

papalazeru wrote:I've always had a love for Braindead personally. Again, like Tape, it was one of my first 18 certificuate films (that and Reservoir dogs). I never laughed and cried so loud during a film. What I came to realise after owning the film over 4 times is that its not just the slapstick cheap violence, its the characterisations of each individual done to the extreme. Plus, the addition of those wonderous cuts which go from real to fake heads beings ripped off is a work of genius. Does anyone know where he stole that from?

The best of them - The Andalusian Dog By Bunuel and Dali

slicing up eyeballs - I want you to know

go on

tell the people I own your movie loving ass.
Last edited by tapehead on Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Vegeta on Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:18 pm

Nordling wrote:It took some thinking on my part, but I have to go with FELLOWSHIP. Not only is it a perfect film in its own right, it's the closest to Tolkien.

I think that is accurate. I have to go with FOTR too. I do love TTT as well, but ROTK is painfully long and would have been better if Jackson followed the book more closely. Leaving Sauramon completely out pissed me off. :x

The rest of his films, though I do love them, sans King Kong :roll: , do not compare to the brillance and huge scope of LOTR series. Basically, those are the only films to even consider on this list if you ask me.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Best Peter Jackson

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:23 pm

Heavenly Creatures:

When i first got into jackson at the beginning of HS, i went out to my local video store and (luckly) they had all his films sans Meet the Feebles.

HC was the last one i rented. Expecting some halfed ass drama that Directors like him go through in their career (Raimi and Craven both had one around that time)

I was floored by how good it was.

I hold it as Jacksons water mark, and he's come close to hitting it again with LOTR but just fell short each time.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby tangerine on Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:34 pm

Yeah, tough choice between FOTR and HC, but I went for HC in the end. Though Bad Taste will always be something special, thanks to the way it was made. Have you guys seen the documentary, Good Taste made Bad Taste? I'm so inspired by PJ's DIY attitude, it's amazing how these guys did everything themselves with no help or budget, PJ built his own steadicam and they built these models of the house that they blow up and stuff. It's amazing. PJ is my hero.
tangerine
AIRWOLF

Postby Nordling on Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:39 pm

If it weren't for the LOTR series... MEET THE FEEBLES would be my pick. That movie almost killed me laughing.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:57 pm

I dunno. I think it's a bit early to do a Best of Peter Jackson thread. It's only 10 films thus far and 3 of them are a series of their own. I'd have waited for him to get deeper into his career before doing this.

Anyhow, I might just go for Heavenly Creatures. LOTR had a lot of the blueprint spelled out for him practically speaking and required that he follow a formula already made out for him and less opportunity to be as creative and go wild with his own imagination if he was doing something more personal and that he himself had created. In many ways I don't feel that LOTR is so much his as it belongs to others that made that story come to life.

But I think that Heavenly Creatures is not only more internal and emotional, that really gets into the heads of it's characters and more importantly, into their hearts with it's deep exploration of their intimacy for each other - but also the film goes pretty nuts with it's dreaminess, and lets it's imagination really off the leash. Yeah yeah you can poxy argue that it was based on a true story, but still, Peter Jackson did take this story and twist and turn it into his own personal creation.

So it's the best one for me - so far.

Kong can Fuck Off!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:06 pm

No love for The Frighteners?!?!?!?!?!

That movie fucking rocked...!!!!
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:13 pm

Frighteners started out terrificly, but I thought the last third dragged it out too long and it got dreary for me.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:58 pm

so sorry wrote:Fellowship!
MasterWhedon, I get chills at the Rohirrim speach in ROTK, but the movie as a whole i didn't like. Felllowship had it all, and was the most anticipated movie of my adult life (and it didn't let me down).

I agree. Being an enormous fan of the books, it was as if I was watching my imagination unfold on the screen. I still tear up at that moment when Gandalf is riding through the Shire and the little Hobbit children are yelling his name and laughing. It was exactly how I imagined it, and I've never had a more fulfilling moment at the movies.

I thought the other LOTR films were good as well, but I think PJ exceeded what I had imagined with FOTR, but what I had imagined for TTT and ROTK was actually cooler in some parts. That's why Fellowship gets my vote.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby tapehead on Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:05 pm

havocSchultz wrote:No love for The Frighteners?!?!?!?!?!

That movie fucking rocked...!!!!

no - much love, but the love you might have for a dog with three legs
a broken love
for something that just isn't right
or the love you have for that slutty ex
you can't respect her
but you had some fun while it lasted
or the love you have swell in your chest
watching one of the most talented directors in the world today
jumping through hoops, and compromising, and following formulas, to realise a studio's expectations

that kind of love.
Last edited by tapehead on Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:06 pm

I haven't seen his first two. Watched Braindead. I can't honestly say any of them really impressed me, but it's been a while so I may like them now.

Heavenly Creatures is a wonderful film.

The Frighteners was good but lost it's way later on.

The Lord of the Rings films are really very good. It's a tough choice to call each one.

I didn't think King Kong was too good.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Wrong Guy on Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:13 pm

Forgotten Silver all the way.
The Wrong Guy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:24 pm

"Heavenly Creatures" closely followed by "Brain Dead". It was a tough call but the versatile/u-turn of HC demands a double take, as he looks more seriously at social matters. Great filmmaking, delivered with a grim touch.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby dimnix on Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:01 am

Honestly...

I cant pick a favourite Peter Jackson movie.

I've got love for 'em all. Some are a tad more flawed than others, but I just cant pick one to come out ontop.
dimnix
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:43 am

I like any Jackson pre-freakish weight loss. His creativity and passion seemed to be in his belly.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Next

Return to Director Discussion