Best Peter Jackson

Which director made the best films, made the best visuals, or smelled the best? This is the forum to find out.

Favourite PJ

Bad Taste
2%
Meet the Feebles
2%
Braindead aka Dead Alive
17%
Heavenly Creatures
15%
Forgotten Silver
3%
The Frighteners
No votes
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring EE
28%
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers EE
8%
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King EE
18%
King Kong
7%

Total votes : 60

Postby bluebottle on Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:05 am

i finally watched the lotr trilogy over christmas, and i gotta say...

meh.

i hate kevin smith, but what randall says about the lotr trilogy in clerks 2 was pretty much bang on for me.

and i love peter jackson. bad taste, meet the feebles, dead alive (or brain dead) frighteners, heavenly creatures... all good.

and i love d&d, and i recognize that it's just a full on rip off of lotr... but i can't help it.

bored out of my skull.

maybe it's just from watching all 12 hours straight...

(yeah, i watched all three extended cuts... merry x-mas)

burl's right... he should get studly again.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby dimnix on Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:06 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:I like any Jackson pre-freakish weight loss. His creativity and passion seemed to be in his belly.

I can guarantee you, the man is as full of creativity and passion as ever.
dimnix
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:51 am

When with ROTK

but have been a long time fan of Bad Taste and Braindead (yes, you crazy fuckers its Braindead!!!! :-) )

Shame to see no love for the Frightners though as I am quite fond of this film! :-)

Mercy mercy, mercy me :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:24 am

silentbobafett wrote:the Frightners though as I am quite fond of this film! :-)

Then why didn'y you represent as it were Bob? It is a good film, but not up there with his best.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:27 am

OH no, I'm not saying IT SHOULD have a vote, because it is not his best in anyway!

But its a lovely little film that I would like to see get a little love i.e some guy really fucking loves it above all things and gives it a vote. A Croatian for example... :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:29 am

I really like the Frightners as well. It's funny to think he went from that to Fellowship.

I still have that on VHS somewhere at home, the well loved metalic tape was starting to give up when I watched it last.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby dimnix on Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:42 am

I love The Frighteners. It may be the nostalgic thing because I was 10 and I'd just moved to Wellington and then saw this new film by some Wellingon-based film-maker in The Embassy Cinema...

...but I dont think thats it. I genuinelly really fuckin dig The Frighteners. I dont see why it isnt appreciated more.

It's such a fun film, with a lot of genuine, great fantastical horror.
dimnix
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:13 am

Bluebottle wrote:i finally watched the lotr trilogy over christmas, and i gotta say...

meh.

the problem for me is that the best film is the first film. While there are some great sequences and pieces in the latter films, they just don't measure up.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:34 am

Frightners is a great looking film and you can see how, visually, he passed on to Fellowship. For me its astrange that the film wasn't a huge hit yet he went on to make the biggest films of all time

As for the first being the best, for me the third is what brings it all together...a nd not to so und like a some kind of gentleman but they wrok as one whole fim to me. Its not which one. Its LOTR... its that simple with me... first is great, but won't work on its own, same is obvious for two and three

They are one film... youc an see by watching the EE's how that is meant to be. I never watch just one now, its always a day marathon of all three... other wise there is just no point! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:39 am

silentbobafett wrote:They are one film... youc an see by watching the EE's how that is meant to be. I never watch just one now, its always a day marathon of all three... other wise there is just no point! :-)

That's true, the EE's are all you need to talk about any more, but I can completly understand why Bluebottle would get over it after watching over 6 hours of one plot line. I have to admit, they are some of my favourite movies but I struggle to watch all of the EE's in one sitting.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:51 am

Oh, I just love it! Although I feel like I could do it all the time I think once or twice a year is the limit. Because, no matter how good the film is, if you watch it too much you start to learn all the dramtic beats and then the emotion within looses it some what

THis happened to me in a way with King Kong remake. I so fucking derly loved it.

Bu I then used a piece of the score for a temp track on a film I was working on. The piece of music was from his death scene.

It played over early versions of my film for a while and then when I sat down to watch my DVD of Kong it didn't work so well at the end cos I new the music so well... I knew every que and it stuck out to me...

I try and keep a lot of distance on movies until I am happy I have experienced the emotion contained within that movie to its max.

I did that with LOTR and I have since develled into every piece of Behidn the scenes information I can get my hands on.

For Christmas I got the offical biography of PJ.... looks good.

I don't usually like gettig biographies of people until they're dead. Sounds morbid. But its because from the minute they are printed they are out of date. You know something the book doesn't. So endings like: "I wonder where they go from here..." "what lies in the future for.......... is anyones guess..."

But PJ has made such an achievement and the book offers a big personel look on Hollywood that I just gotta read it... if for nothing more that the gossip. Oh, that and the fact i hope PJ has a long and healthy career/life :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:53 am

Well last shot I saw of PJ he had dropped a fair few pounds and had blond tips in his newly cut (but still shaggy) hair.

Things have changed already. :wink:
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:42 pm

I need to bump this thread so Lugz can see I watched Heavenly Creatures again after our disagreement in the Hobbit thread - Hey Lugz!
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby colonel_lugz on Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:51 pm

I see it, I see it

So we were bothe kinda right and wrong at the same time, sort of.

Have you got HC on DVD or can I get it off you by "other means"? I feel I should now watch it again
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:56 pm

I do own a dvd copy, it's a long way away - I've got a copy I can give to you next time I see you.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:12 pm

Missed most of this thread first time around. I adore Bad Taste and Braindead, tough call but I'm going with Braindead. Re LOTR, this sums up my own viewpoint:

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:the problem for me is that the best film is the first film. While there are some great sequences and pieces in the latter films, they just don't measure up.

The first film is also the most faithful to the book, another reason why it's my favourite of the trilogy....
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:21 pm

Heavenly Creatures was a pretty effective little movie and well underestimated. But LOTR was a superb achievement - great populist entertainment, beautifully crafted and without sacrificing the heart of the book. Hard to pick between the trilogy - but on balance, part 2 by a hair's whisker.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:49 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:The first film is also the most faithful to the book, another reason why it's my favourite of the trilogy....

to quote Cameo, word up.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:00 pm

I'm as indecisive as ever on this one. I very nearly went with BRAINDEAD - I loved that flick, too many scenes to mention - htough the simplicity of the head in the blender and the wide eyes just before it gets switched on genuinely had me rolling on the floor in pain laughing.

That's what you get when you drink cheap lager called Heldenbrau I guess (tasted like piss - but hey, it was something like £2.49 for 3 litres back in the day).

In the end I went with ROTK, though I also agree with TitG and KCBC about Fellowship. When I watched the 3 LOTR separately in the cinema Fellowship was heads and shoulders my favourite - my brain is happier with linear stuff for a start.

But now I have them on DVD I normally watch all 3 within a 24 hour tme period and ROTK really benefits from that. Because they are so damned long you really do feel like you've been on something of a trek yourself watching them - and the emotional pay-off in ROTK is heightened tenfold, which just tipped it for me.

But give me one minute and I'll probably change my mind again...
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:08 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:I'm as indecisive as ever on this one. I very nearly went with BRAINDEAD - I loved that flick, too many scenes to mention - htough the simplicity of the head in the blender and the wide eyes just before it gets switched on genuinely had me rolling on the floor in pain laughing.

That's what you get when you drink cheap lager called Heldenbrau I guess (tasted like piss - but hey, it was something like £2.49 for 3 litres back in the day).

In the end I went with ROTK, though I also agree with TitG and KCBC about Fellowship. When I watched the 3 LOTR separately in the cinema Fellowship was heads and shoulders my favourite - my brain is happier with linear stuff for a start.

But now I have them on DVD I normally watch all 3 within a 24 hour tme period and ROTK really benefits from that. Because they are so damned long you really do feel like you've been on something of a trek yourself watching them - and the emotional pay-off in ROTK is heightened tenfold, which just tipped it for me.

But give me one minute and I'll probably change my mind again...

Minute's up...

Now vote for The Frighteners...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:13 pm

I haven't seen Meet The Feebles in years - be interested to see how that one stands up - I remember being faintly disappointed by it - though amsued by a fly as I recall.

I haven't seen The Frighteners - didn't Samwise's Dad act in that? (Its the one with Michael J Fox, yes?)

I do want to catch that film at some point.

Bad Taste.

No. Fellowship.

Braindead.

Fellowship.

ROTK.

AHHHHHHHHHH *head explodes*
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:24 pm

Does anyone know what these new "Special Edition" Lord of the Rings DVDs are?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:43 pm

Well, they like a the original version of a the trilogy, eh?

Only special.
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:09 am

Doc Holliday wrote:I haven't seen The Frighteners - didn't Samwise's Dad act in that? (Its the one with Michael J Fox, yes?)

I love this fucking film...no, it's not my actual favorite of Jackson's - but I enjoy it every single time...

Yeah, Michael J. Fox and Samwise's dad are in it...

And Jeffrey Combs is hilarious...

It's got some weak points - but it's fun little film that I can continuously re-visit...

Haven't had a chance to check out the recent Special Edition with all the features yet - but I will...and you will know it - cause you'll hear the glee all the way to whatever popular area you Brits congregate to...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:05 am

havocSchultz wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:I haven't seen The Frighteners - didn't Samwise's Dad act in that? (Its the one with Michael J Fox, yes?)

I love this fucking film...no, it's not my actual favorite of Jackson's - but I enjoy it every single time...

Yeah, Michael J. Fox and Samwise's dad are in it...

And Jeffrey Combs is hilarious...

It's got some weak points - but it's fun little film that I can continuously re-visit...

Haven't had a chance to check out the recent Special Edition with all the features yet - but I will...and you will know it - cause you'll hear the glee all the way to whatever popular area you Brits congregate to...

You had me with "And Jeffrey Combs is hilarious..."

Long Live the Reanimator!
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:51 am

Long Live That Guy Who Plays Every Decent Guest Role On Star Trek!
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:52 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Well, they like a the original version of a the trilogy, eh?

Only special.

You're special.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:07 am

Fried Gold wrote:
DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Well, they like a the original version of a the trilogy, eh?

Only special.

You're special.

not as special as this poor bastich...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:17 am

Fried Gold wrote:Long Live That Guy Who Plays Every Decent Guest Role On Star Trek!

David Warner? Mandy Patinkin?
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Best Peter Jackson

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:41 am

Peter Jackson Won't Helm A Marvel Movie
"I've Never Read A Comic Book In My Life"
"I don't really like the Hollywood blockbuster bandwagon that exists right now," Jackson told Movie Fone in a recent interview. "The industry and the advent of all the technology, has kind of lost its way. It's become very franchise driven and superhero driven. I've never read a comic book in my life so I'm immediately at a disadvantage and I have no interest in that."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:54 am

TheButcher wrote:Peter Jackson Won't Helm A Marvel Movie
"I've Never Read A Comic Book In My Life"
"I don't really like the Hollywood blockbuster bandwagon that exists right now," Jackson told Movie Fone in a recent interview. "The industry and the advent of all the technology, has kind of lost its way. It's become very franchise driven and superhero driven. I've never read a comic book in my life so I'm immediately at a disadvantage and I have no interest in that."

"Its become very franchise driven" says the guy who made 6 movies about one franchise??????
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:14 pm

HEAVENLY CREATURES is just such a towering masterpiece. It's definitely one of the best films of the 90s. I liked Jackson's b-movie cheese leading up to that one, but HC was just on a whole different level. After that, Jackson prettymuch lost me. Part of me wishes he could get that HC mojo back, which is what he was trying (and failing) to do in LOVELY BONES. At this point, I'm not sure there's a film I would want Peter Jackson to direct.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:50 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:HEAVENLY CREATURES is just such a towering masterpiece. It's definitely one of the best films of the 90s. I liked Jackson's b-movie cheese leading up to that one, but HC was just on a whole different level. After that, Jackson prettymuch lost me. Part of me wishes he could get that HC mojo back, which is what he was trying (and failing) to do in LOVELY BONES. At this point, I'm not sure there's a film I would want Peter Jackson to direct.

at this point, i guess we're just lucky that he didn't try to turn LOVELY BONES into a trilogy, devoting half the first film to building up the backstory of the rapist-murderer, making up some extra love story subplots, and ending the whole thing with a giant CGI battle in Susie Salmon's Heaven.

jacksons sounds an awful lot like Lucas and Spielberg do sometimes when they start moaning about blockbuster movies. it's not even the pot calling the kettle black... more like the inventor of the pot complaining about other people making kettles black.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:04 am

Spandau Belly wrote:At this point, I'm not sure there's a film I would want Peter Jackson to direct.

PETER JACKSON'S DUNE!
You know you want it!
:wink:
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:03 am

didn't we see this already, in the last Hobbit film?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:16 pm

TheBaxter wrote:didn't we see this already, in the last Hobbit film?

5 seconds is not enough Peter Jackson DUNE!
We need 12 more hours man!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:04 pm

of course, LOTR would have been so much better as just one 2 hour movie.....

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:28 pm

He did manage to sneak the sandworms (or "weirworms") in there
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:03 am

Ribbons wrote:

He did manage to sneak the sandworms (or "weirworms") in there

The Bore Worms!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:30 am

Peven wrote:of course, LOTR would have been so much better as just one 2 hour movie.....

because that's EXACTLY what everyone in this thread is saying :roll:

LOTR (based on three separate books) makes sense as a trilogy. the Hobbit (based on a single children's book) would have been better as a 2 hour movie, or at least a 3 hour one. i'll give PJ an extra hour for it.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Previous

Return to Director Discussion