Official George Lucas Discussion Thread (Now w/ Civility..?)

Which director made the best films, made the best visuals, or smelled the best? This is the forum to find out.

What do YOU think about George Lucas?

No Talent Hack
20%
One of the All-Time Best
37%
Grow up, fanboys.
44%

Total votes : 41

Re: Official George Lucas Discussion Thread (Now w/ Civility!)

Postby so sorry on Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:11 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:I think the real problem is that there is no real problem. Lucas is doing what he enjoys, making gobs of money doing so and pleasing alot of people worldwide (based on BO gross) so unless he's gunning for an award why should he want to question everything he does incessantly?

Chairman Kaga ftw!

That about sums it up... Locking the entire Internet.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:20 pm

Serious IPAMPILASH. Co-workers were asking me why I was laughing so loud.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bayouwolf on Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:28 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:I think the real problem is that there is no real problem. Lucas is doing what he enjoys, making gobs of money doing so and pleasing alot of people worldwide (based on BO gross) so unless he's gunning for an award why should he want to question everything he does incessantly?

Kaga... You've put into words what I've been trying to say for years.
PM me the royalty account information, and I'll make sure you are compensated for your work every time I use it...

BTW...
This is the exact type of argument I use when defending the works of Kevin Smith to people.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:38 pm

Ahhh, the "he's an artist he can do what he wants" defense. It's true! And thank jebus for that. But it doesn't mean that the end product wont, objectively, suck. And it doesn't mean that I can't comment on the suckage or theorize as to why such suckage has occurred.

So it's not a problem for Lucas. He has ultimate power and money to do ANYTHING he wants forever. It's a problem for me...and for others that would prefer that Star Wars didn't suck.

For the record (and at the risk of using the same word 50 times in one post) I didn't think ROTS sucked. It had probllems but I actually liked it quite a bit at the end of the day.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:46 pm

Considering Star Wars is still quite popular worldwide the work must subjectively suck.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:51 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Considering he still makes quite a bit of money the work must subjectively suck.

Not necessarily. I, for example, realize that the work sucks...but I go anyway. Why? Because I'm that stupid and the sound of a lightsaber wizzing through the air makes me pee a little when I hear it.

You could argue that it's impossible for any work of art to objectively suck, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I can't really disagree. But don't base it on the gross because, ESPECIALLY when it comes to Star Wars, money does not necessarily equal quality. I, like so many others my age, are slaves to our nerdstalgia....
Lord Voldemoo

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:58 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:You sure let actors off the hook on that one. All that acting stuff is the director's job. :-P

i'm not letting actors off the hook. like most things in filmmaking, it's a collaboration, and both the actor and the director need to work together to get, not just a good performance, but the RIGHT performance for the film. you can't get a good performance out of a bad actor no matter how good of a director you are. if you can't get a good performance out of a GOOD actor, it might be the director's fault, or it might be the actor just had an off day (or week, or month, or year). but if you can't get good performances out of any of your actors, including some really talented ones, then that's a shortcoming of the director.

i agree that the biggest problem... err i mean, uh, shortcoming... is the writing. the most brilliant director and the most brilliant actors probably couldnt do much with lucas' shit dialogue.
Last edited by TheBaxter on Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Bayouwolf on Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:58 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:Considering he still makes quite a bit of money the work must subjectively suck.

Not necessarily. I, for example, realize that the work sucks...but I go anyway. Why? Because I'm that stupid and the sound of a lightsaber wizzing through the air makes me pee a little when I hear it.

You could argue that it's impossible for any work of art to objectively suck, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I can't really disagree. But don't base it on the gross because, ESPECIALLY when it comes to Star Wars, money does not necessarily equal quality. I, like so many others my age, are slaves to our nerdstalgia....

True dat' cow...
true dat'.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:01 pm

TheBaxter wrote: but if you can't get good performances out of any of your actors

Do you really believe Lucas has never had any good performances in any of his films? Seriously?
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:05 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
TheBaxter wrote: but if you can't get good performances out of any of your actors

Do you really believe Lucas has never had any good performances in any of his films? Seriously?

Miraculous things do happen randomly ;)
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:22 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:

not in his recent films. the good performances are few and far between. and even the ones that do decent work, in and of themselves, don't mesh together. look at liam neeson and ewan macgregor in TPM. both very talented actors, but completely left out to dry by lucas. there's no chemistry at all, and the best you can say about neeson is he didn't embarrass himself. watching the prequels is like watching a bunch of actors working in bubbles, each doing their own thing, some to greater or lesser success than others, but none able to lift the material beyond the writing.

i'm not saying lucas was NEVER a good director. but he hasn't been a good director since the 70s. there's some good stuff in the prequels, i'm not saying there isn't, but the acting is definitely not one of those things.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:28 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:I would say that Lucas is a better Director than he is a writer. And he's a better story writer than he is a screenplay writer. As the writer of a screenplay he's pretty much a hack. I am NOT a writer, so that's just a layman's opinion.

I think he knows that there are limits to his screenplay writing capabilities. If you watch the documentary on the THX1138 DVD, there is some quite frank talk about how his screenplay wasn't too great until others (Walter Murch et al) helped him rewrite it.

But as Kaga says:

As with any filmmaker, he makes the films he wants to make. If I was in his position, I wouldn't care what people thought (beyond my immediate peer group).
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:57 pm

again, it's fine if he doesn't care. But I do.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:54 pm

i think someone else here already said this, but i agree so i'll repeat it.

i think he DOES care. i think that's why he basically gave jar-jar the boot after TPM. why he put jango fett in AOTC. why he made ROTS as dark as he did. he probably cares about the fan's opinions more than I or most fans do, who really mostly only care about our own opinions. sadly, i don't think he knows how to satisfy most of us the way he used to anymore. he, and we, would probably all be better off if he stopped trying.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:50 pm

Bayou wrote:

Kaga... You've put into words what I've been trying to say for years.
PM me the royalty account information, and I'll make sure you are compensated for your work every time I use it...

BTW...
This is the exact type of argument I use when defending the works of Kevin Smith to people.

Except Kevin Smith movies don't make "gobs of money" . . . ;)
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:29 am

TheBaxter wrote:i think someone else here already said this, but i agree so i'll repeat it.

i think he DOES care. i think that's why he basically gave jar-jar the boot after TPM. why he put jango fett in AOTC. why he made ROTS as dark as he did. he probably cares about the fan's opinions more than I or most fans do, who really mostly only care about our own opinions. sadly, i don't think he knows how to satisfy most of us the way he used to anymore. he, and we, would probably all be better off if he stopped trying.

I think there are age and era considerations to made. With the exception of Revenge of the Sith, they are largely family-friendly kids films. He's often said that's who he makes them for (and in the case of the new ones, his own kids). Kids back in the late 70s/early 80s were different to the kids of today.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:39 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I think there are age and era considerations to made. With the exception of Revenge of the Sith, they are largely family-friendly kids films. He's often said that's who he makes them for (and in the case of the new ones, his own kids). Kids back in the late 70s/early 80s were different to the kids of today.

What, smarter?
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby tapehead on Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:59 pm

RogueScribner wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:I think there are age and era considerations to made. With the exception of Revenge of the Sith, they are largely family-friendly kids films. He's often said that's who he makes them for (and in the case of the new ones, his own kids). Kids back in the late 70s/early 80s were different to the kids of today.

What, smarter?

Less repressed by conservatism?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:00 pm

Less ADHD and less misdiagnoses of ADHD
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby tapehead on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:33 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Less ADHD and less misdiagnoses of ADHD

better diets?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:46 am

The second part is key.

What's that? No boundaries set at home by parents? Drinking too much Sunny Delight?

Must be ADHD!!!
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:40 pm

Fried Gold wrote:

The second part is key.

What's that? No boundaries set at home by parents? Drinking too much Sunny Delight?

Must be ADHD!!!

i think Little Debbie alone is probably responsible for 20% of the diagnosed cases of ADHD

and on a side note, or rather, back on subject.....

i was subbing a 3rd grade class today and at the end of the day i asked the kids what movies they liked and one little girl said she loved the Star Wars movies because her dad loved them so much. so sweet. then after a minute more talking to her about it i realized that she was only talking about the prequels and had never even seen the OT. :shock: immediately afterward i submitted an abuse report to Family and Children Services.......

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:00 pm

Peven wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

The second part is key.

Must be ADHD!!!

i think Little Debbie alone is probably responsible for 20% of the diagnosed cases of ADHD

and on a side note, or rather, back on subject.....

i was subbing a 3rd grade class today and at the end of the day i asked the kids what movies they liked and one little girl said she loved the Star Wars movies because her dad loved them so much. so sweet. then after a minute more talking to her about it i realized that she was only talking about the prequels and had never even seen the OT. :shock: immediately afterward i submitted an abuse report to Family and Children Services.......

Similar situation last year....in one of those "end of term, put on a video" moments, I put on The Empire Strikes Back...and all bar one would rather have seen Attack of the Clones.

(note: only reason I put it on was because when I looked, I found out the OT were the only U-cert films I own)
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Official George Lucas Discussion Thread (Now w/ Civility..?)

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:05 pm

Where were you both to back me up when I said kids today liked the prequels?
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:54 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Where were you both to back me up when I said kids today liked the prequels?

there are definitely kids today that dig the prequels. my 11 yr old nephew is nuts for them as well as the OT. but, my kids are just kind of "meh" towards them, and it isn't because of any negative feedback from me. i was actually hoping for them to experience the same kind of Star Wars experience i had growing up as the OT was being released, bought the DVD's and everything, but they would much rather watch "Big Trouble In Little China" or "The Goonies" or a myriad of other titles rather than a prequel DVD.

i think that Peter Jackson and the LOTR films are to my kids and their peers what Lucas and Star Wars were to mine. i only hope Jackson doesn't squander the good will the way Lucas has

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:34 pm

I was 12 when Phantom Menace came out, I was obsessed with the podrace (did endless podracing on my bicycle - Sebulbaaa) and the Darth Maul fight. And I thought Jar Jar was funny, made that Spaced episode even funnier. Ofc, while I grew older and the later installments came out, I was less enthusiastic. But I can imagine that if you watch ep 1 2 and 3 from age 6 to 13 it can be quite an impressive experience.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:58 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Where were you both to back me up when I said kids today liked the prequels?

I don't know...when did you say that?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:17 am

What could have been . . .

I don't know if it really would have changed much, but it's interesting to speculate.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby tapehead on Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:27 am

RogueScribner wrote:What could have been . . .

I don't know if it really would have changed much, but it's interesting to speculate.

Bah! It's kinda just an update on the story that David Lynch almost got the gig directing ROTJ - true story, but a true story about what might have been...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Re: Official George Lucas Discussion Thread (Now w/ Civility

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:38 pm

ironic name wrote:http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment/movies/2011/01/18/16927446-wenn-story.html
man responsible for jar jar thinks world will end in 2012.

He should have said 2022 or 2023. How is he going to make money off of Star Wars in 3D if the world ends next year :?:
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:02 am

Cobra-Kai got a hold of an early copy of the STAR WARS Saga Blu-Set! And Harry has a theory about Lucasanity!
Hey folks, Harry here... I doubt seriously that I'll be getting one of these sets in time to write extensively about it. In fact, I'm betting I'll have to pick one up next Tuesday like the rest of ya that just can not resist. I know folks have been wanting me to write an angry diatribe about "Fucking Lucas" and "Stop Fucking Changing Our Movies," except - I've been serially abused optically and aurally by George. And I have a theory. It could be insane, but one of my hobbies is collecting stories about George Lucas. Anecdotal evidence that he isn't crazy. His personal humor is one of "getting your goat" - a teasing manner that is meant to elicit outrage and vocal dissent. George is passionate about film preservation, as much as any man has ever beat the drum for the preservation of our collective film history - George has done amazing things. He's changed the cinematic film experience forever through his financing of innovations in sound and image. SO why does George continue to pluck our shorthairs?

I believe that George feels, probably right to a degree, that most of you don't give a shit about film preservation. NOT YOU - but those folks out there that don't even know it is an issue. That have never experienced the censoring of the 1933 KING KONG, the re-edits of METROPOLIS or TARZAN ESCAPES. Or that lived through studios hacking the tops and bottoms off of films to then create fake CINEMASCOPE prints of movies - most infamously losing the greatest tree in film history - you know the one - in GONE WITH THE WIND. Well, the problem is, while George experienced this period - most of us didn't, still more of us have never really dug into the history of cinema in a manner where we would become passionate about Film Preservation.

Now George is an eccentric BILLIONAIRE - We know he has testified before Congress on this issue. Articles quoting George as being absolutely outraged about THE VERY THING he's been doing to his film. He defends himself with the PAINTING metaphor - about how many artists never finish paintings, just abandon them for a period of time. And this breaks down when you point at EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and RETURN OF THE JEDI, which he isn't even the director of record. Here, he is definitely manhandling others' work. But why? Why do this? He has got to know that a lot of hardcore geeks will bow out of this release as a result, but he is well aware that the larger audience - well, they're not even aware of the problems yet. He'll see a ton of these.

But let's get back to the eccentric BILLIONAIRE angle. George has STAR WARS - a series of films which have, without a doubt in my mind, the most devoted following ever. Over the last 20 years, George has been fooling around with his films. Essentially, every year that AICN has been around, I've had to deal with fans screaming about "Crazy ol George" - and at this point. It no longer phases me. I want to see his latest tamperings. I want to have friends over to experience it all with. We will scream, bitch & moan - but MAINLY we'll enjoy ourselves. There will be "WHAT THE FUCK" moments that leave us frustrated beyond words. BUT - I also have a feeling that one day, hopefully a long time from now, the person making the decisions about this property will not always be George. At that point, I'm convinced we'll see further explorations of the STAR WARS universe theatrically. I also believe at that point - pristine original prints of all these films will come to be. I have faith I'll live to see this, if not... I just don't see the need to get absolutely outraged about it. He has made it exceedingly clear that he's going to pursue his path. By all means - protest by not buying if you wish. In fact an enormous LACK of sales would be astonishing, but I'm telling you. There is no power that would keep me from getting this set. The supplemental material alone will melt my mind. Just seeing the improved CG Yoda in PHANTOM MENACE over that atrocity they previously had will be a smile.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:38 pm

so his "theory" is what? that lucas is purposefully trying to get people angry by constantly changing SW as a way of trying to get them interested in film preservation? that's ALF. almost as ALF as lucas's changes to the films.

no, i think my theory is closer to the mark. lucas hates SW, and he hates SW fans. it may even be a subconscious thing, but he resents the franchise, he resents the fans for not slobbering with gratitude over ever little SW thing he gives them, for the tepid reception of the prequels, which i think were much more personal films for him than the OT, and since we didn't act like they were god's (lucas') greatest gift to mankind since the OT, he'll just rub our noses in it. that's my theory.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:34 am

From TheForce.net:
Lucas Talks Red Tails & More With USA Today
USA Today's Marco R. della Cava posted a seven-minute video interview with George Lucas recorded at Skywalker Ranch. The article accompanying the video includes several highlights from the conversation, including this:

Mythology and movies:

"I've come to the conclusion that mythology is really a form of archaeological psychology. Mythology gives you a sense of what a people believes, what they fear. That's what I did with Star Wars. I took some basic psychological motifs and saw if people could still relate to them today. Oh, you feel this way about your father, and that way about your friends. After its success, I decided I liked the idea of doing films that spoke to and inspired young people, of saying things that needed to be said without being blatant. And that's where Red Tails fits in."

His passion for special effects:

"The reason I've invested so much time and money (creating Industrial Light & Magic, a premier special-effects house) is because art is technology. In the '60s, you were at the end of the (Lawrence of Arabia director) David Lean era, where you'd have 10,000 extras in a scene. That was getting too expensive. The norm became, 'Oh, I have a movie, it's set five years ago, has seven actors in it and we'll shoot on the streets.' So I could tell even then that if we pushed the technology we'd have so many more stories we could tell."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Lucas Retires

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:39 pm

George Lucas Claims He’s Ready to Retire from Blockbuster Filmmaking
“I’m retiring. I’m moving away from the business, from the company, from all this kind of stuff.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:28 am

From The New York Times:
George Lucas Is Ready to Roll the Credits
BRYAN CURTIS wrote:This was a new feeling for George Lucas. He made a movie about a plucky band of freedom fighters who battle an evil empire — a movie loaded with special effects like no one had seen before. Then he showed it to executives from all the Hollywood studios. And every one of them said, “Nope.”

One studio’s executives didn’t even show up for the screening. “Isn’t this their job?” Lucas says, astonished. “Isn’t their job at least to see movies? It’s not like some Sundance kid coming in there and saying, ‘I’ve got this little movie — would you see it?’ If Steven (Spielberg) or I or Jim Cameron or Bob Zemeckis comes in there, and they say, ‘We don’t even want to bother to see it. . . .’ ”

Lucas sighs. It’s true that the movie, “Red Tails,” is a biopic about the Tuskegee Airmen rather than a space opera starring the Skywalker clan. But the snub implied that Lucas’s pop-culture collateral — six “Star Wars” movies, four “Indiana Jones” movies, the effects shop Industrial Light and Magic and toy licenses that were selling (at least) four different light sabers this Christmas — was basically worthless. When “Red Tails” opens in theaters on Jan. 20, it will be because Lucas paid for everything, including the prints.

Lucas, who is 67 and still in possession of the full pompadour, told me his story of rejection on a cold December morning at Skywalker Ranch, in Marin County, Calif. He was sitting on a maroon sofa in the animation studios, wearing his standard billionaire-casual outfit — a flannel shirt with rolled-up sleeves, jeans and Nikes — while Padmé Amidala, the heroine of the “Star Wars” prequels, peeked down from two paintings arranged on either side of his head.

“I’m retiring,” Lucas said. “I’m moving away from the business, from the company, from all this kind of stuff.”

He was careful to leave himself an out clause for a fifth “Indiana Jones” film. But otherwise, “Red Tails” will be the last blockbuster Lucas makes. “Once this is finished, he’s done everything he’s ever wanted to do,” says Rick McCallum, who has been producing Lucas’s films for more than 20 years. “He will have completed his task as a man and a filmmaker.”

Lucas has decided to devote the rest of his life to what cineastes in the 1970s used to call personal films. They’ll be small in scope, esoteric in subject and screened mostly in art houses. They’ll be like the experimental movies Lucas made in the 1960s, around the time he was at U.S.C. film school, when he recorded clouds moving over the desert and made a movie based on an E. E. Cummings poem. During that period, Lucas assumed he would spend his career on the fringes. Then “Star Wars” happened — and though Lucas often mused about it, he never committed himself to the uncommercial world until now.

Sitting in a sun-drenched office, his voice boyish, Lucas talked about himself as if he were a character in one of his movies. He’s at the end of an epic saga; he’s embracing a new destiny (“Make the art films, George”); he’s battling former acolytes who have become his sworn enemies; and George Lucas is — no kidding — in love. Before he takes his digital camera with him into obscurity, though, Lucas has one last mission. He wants to prove that with “Red Tails,” he can still make the kind of movie everyone in the world will want to see.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: George Lucas the Producer: Labyrinth

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:53 pm

From IGN:
George Lucas the Producer - We explore the less celebrated films in Lucas' resume.
Jesse Schedeen wrote:One of the more significant releases in theaters last week was Red Tails, a WWII film exec produced by George Lucas. Though the film didn't exactly draw in Star Wars-esque numbers of viewers into theaters, it did enjoy a respectable weekend in what tends to be the slowest month of the year for Hollywood.

Red Tails is hardly the first film Lucas has lent his name to as producer. There are the Indiana Jones films and Star Wars Episodes V and VI (the franchises he created and is most famous for, of course), but also a number of other major and minor projects over the past several decades. It's those projects we examine in this feature. We explore what role Lucas had in films such as Willow, Labyrinth and Tucker. We also provide the box office estimates as determined by Box Office Mojo and the review aggregate scores from Rotten Tomatoes to chart each film's relative success.

Jesse Schedeen wrote:Labyrinth (1986)

Box Office Mojo: $12,729,917 | Rotten Tomatoes: 62%

George Lucas' name isn't the first to come to mind when thinking of the quirky fantasy film Labyrinth, as most people associate it with director Jim Henson and star David Bowie. Unlike many films in his production resume, Labyrinth wasn't an idea conceived by Lucas at all, but Henson. Lucas was one of several writers to step in and add to the script, which experienced dozens of rewrites over a period of several years.

Lucas' other primary contribution came later, as he assisted Henson with editing the final cut of the film. Labyrinth enjoyed a fairly lukewarm reception among both critics and audiences, which caused Henson to retreat from Hollywood in the last few years of his life. However, the film has maintained a sizable cult audience over the years and continues to sell well on DVD.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:52 pm

From Vulture:
The History of George Lucas’s Star Wars Rerelease Cash Grab
Adam Raymond and Matt Ruby wrote:Last weekend a newly reformatted 3-D version of Star Wars, Episode I — The Phantom Menace opened in theaters, adding another $22.5 million to the billions that George Lucas's endlessly repackaged space opera franchise has already taken in through its many forms. (3-D versions of the rest of the movies are supposed to be released annually over the next five years.) The history of and rationale behind Lucas's tweaks and highly touted revised editions — whether in theaters, on DVD or Blu-ray — is as twisty as a Princess Leia hair braid. But for all those Jedi fans who want a refresher course on the many ways in which they've spent their money over the years (each time assured that this is the definitive version!), click on to see this history in a form just perfect for Star Wars lore.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:25 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:54 am

TheButcher wrote:George Lucas Claims He’s Ready to Retire from Blockbuster Filmmaking
“I’m retiring. I’m moving away from the business, from the company, from all this kind of stuff.”

From /film Friday, June 1st, 2012:
Kathleen Kennedy Named as Co-Chair and Successor to George Lucas at Lucasfilm [Updated]
Germain Lussier wrote:Ever since George Lucas finished his Star Wars prequel trilogy, he’s said he’d like to return to the movies of his formative years. Small, experimental films in the vein of his student films and THX 1138. He sort of did that with Red Tails, a film he’d been wanting to make for a long, long time but it certainly wasn’t experimental, small, or particulaly good.

Now, it seems he’s finally going to really make that leap. In an upcoming interview with Empire Magazine (what isn’t in this upcoming issue?) Lucas says that he’s going to be “moving away” from his company, LucasFilm, to concentrate on making those kind of movies. Sounds like that retirement is finally going to happen. Read his quote and more below.

Update: Kathleen Kennedy has been named co-chair at Lucasfilm. She’ll leave the Kennedy/Marshall Co to run Lucasfilm. George Lucas will remain CEO and co-chair of the board at Lucasfilm, but Kennedy will be in charge day-to-day. A press release from Lucasfilm has been added after the break.

The Force.net pointed out the quote from the preview of the new issue of Empire:
I’m moving away from the company, I’m moving away from all my businesses, I’m finishing all my obligations and I’m going to retire to my garage with my saw and hammer and build hobby movies. I’ve always wanted to make movies that were more experimental in nature, and not have to worry about them showing in movie theatres.

That’s a hell of a declarative statement and I, for one, say “Bravo George.” I really hope he does it this time. No matter how you feel about the prequels, in recent months it’s become increasingly obvious that he needs to get away from the game and if spending his time in a garage making small movies for YouTube or whatever is going to make him happy, then do that.

Of course, everyone will quickly ask what “finishings all my obligations” to LucasFilm means for not only the Star Wars TV show but a fifth Indiana Jones movie, for which Lucas is the sole person who needs to sign on. As a fan of both franchises, I say, let it go. I’m fine with things just the way they are and have felt that way since the second I walked out of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Update: Here’s the press release announcing Kathleen Kennedy’s new position:
SAN FRANCISCO-Lucasfilm Ltd. today announced that Kathleen Kennedy will become Co-Chair of Lucasfilm. In an effort to move forward with his retirement plans, George Lucas will work with Kathleen Kennedy to transition into her new role. Lucas will become Co-Chairman of the Board of Lucasfilm and continue as CEO. Micheline Chau will remain as President and COO of Lucasfilm, and continue to focus on the day-to-day operations of the business.

“I’ve spent my life building Lucasfilm and as I shift my focus into other directions I wanted to make sure it was in the hands of someone equipped to carry my vision into the future,” said George Lucas. “It was important that my successor not only be someone with great creative passion and proven leadership abilities, but also someone who loves movies. I care deeply about my employees—it is their creativity and hard work that has made this company what it is today. As the company grows and expands I wanted to be sure the employees of Lucasfilm have a strong captain for the ship. I also care deeply about our fans and it was important to have someone who would carry on the passion and care that I’ve given the films over the years. So for me Kathy was the obvious choice, she is a trusted friend and one of the most respected producers and executives in the industry.”

Director Steven Spielberg said, “George’s prescience is once again proven by his choice of my long time producing partner, Kathy Kennedy to co-chair Lucasfilm. Kathy has been a member of both of our families going into a fourth decade so it does not feel like she is going to another galaxy far far away. She will get just as much support from me with Lucasfilm as George has given both of us all these years.”

“George is a true visionary,” said Kathleen Kennedy. “I’ve seen him build Lucasfilm from a small rebel unit in Northern California to an international fully integrated entertainment company. I’m excited to have the chance to work with such an extraordinary group of talented people. George and I have talked about the enormous opportunities that lie ahead for the company, and as George moves towards retirement I am honored that he trusts me with taking care of the beloved film franchises. I feel fortunate to have George working with me for the next year or two as I take on this role—it is nice to have Yoda by your side.”

Seven-time Academy Award nominated Kathleen Kennedy is one of the most successful and esteemed producers and executives in the film industry. As a producer she has an impeccable record with a robust filmography working with such filmmakers as Steven Spielberg, Peter Jackson, Martin Scorsese, Robert Zemeckis, Barry Levinson, Clint Eastwood, David Fincher and Gary Ross. As a testament to her standing in the film community, she previously held the position of governor and officer of the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) and currently serves as a member of the board of trustees. She is also a former President of the Producers Guild of America.

Kathleen will step down from her role at The Kennedy/Marshall Company, shifting her responsibilities to partner Frank Marshall. The Kennedy/Marshall Company is currently in post production on LINCOLN, directed by long time collaborator Steven Spielberg whom Kennedy also produced for on the INDIANA JONES and JURASSIC PARK franchises, and THE BOURNE LEGACY, written and directed by Tony Gilroy and produced by Marshall. Under the Kennedy/Marshall banner, the pair has produced such Academy Award nominated Best Picture films as WAR HORSE (six nominations), THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON (thirteen nominations) THE SIXTH SENSE, (six nominations) and SEABISCUIT (seven nominations), as well as blockbusters including the BOURNE series and THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN. Marshall will oversee the company’s current slate of projects and continue to expand it via their development deals with DreamWorks and CBS TV Studios.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:37 am

George Lucas Once Envisioned Four 'Star Wars' Trilogies
Edward Davis wrote:Ok, this is an odd one that no one seems to have noticed nor made much fuss about. In the latest issue of Empire magazine detailing the history leading up to "Star Wars: Episode VII," the publication says George Lucas originally envisioned four "Star Wars" trilogies and then dropped one in the late 1970s.

This may be old news to die hard fans, but evidently Lucas asked Mark Hamill to appear in 'Episode IX.' "You'll just be like a cameo," Hamill recalled Lucas telling him. "You'll be like Obi Wan handing the lightsaber down to the next hope." Perhaps, as teased by Mark Hamill in a 1983 interview, the mooted third trilogy was supposed to be more ephemeral with Luke Skywalker appearing on "another plane of existence" he said (and/or potentially as another character).

"The other one — what happens to Luke afterward — is much more ethereal," Lucas said in a 1978 Time magazine article that does outline 12 episodes in total. "I have a tiny notebook full of notes on that. If I’m really ambitious, I could proceed to figure out what would have happened to Luke.”

And that's all there is. To us, that's pretty new and an interesting what-if tease, but we assume 'Episode VII' will be nothing like that. Let's face it, Disney didn't buy a multi-billion dollar franchise so they could make an "ethereal" "Star Wars" film. 'Ep 7' is going to be very much in the action-adventure sci-fi world that we know.

Meanwhile, producer and LucasFilm chair Kathleen Kennedy, the woman with the keys to the "Star Wars" franchise, has said that some kind of announcement will be made in January which many presume will be the unveiling of who's going to direct the highly anticipated sequel. But one of those contenders you can likely count out is David Fincher. We've been hearing a lot of chatter about this series through various sources and it sounds like even though Kennedy and Lucas reached out to Fincher early on before the new trilogy was announced (Fincher worked at ILM and Kennedy produced 'Benjamin Button' -- so he was a good fit), he's not going to take the plunge.

And from the sound of it, don't expect any kind of mini or major auteur to take the helm. We've heard that while folks like J.J. Abrams and John Favreau have been approached, apparently George Lucas has been galvanized by all the buzz and is looking to become more involved again. This means the general thinking is probably less of a top-shelf director and likely one -- like Irvin Kirschner and Richard Marquand before them – who can simply execute a vision rather than bring a bold new idea to the table.

"It's like doing King Lear with Shakespeare in the room," Marquand said at the time of directing 'Return Of The Jedi.' Lucas was involved at every turn on that film, and was not willing to cede control. Here's the aforementioned Empire excerpt below, but all of the info seems to come from Lucasfilm executive editor J. W. Rinzler, the author of "The Making of Star Wars and The Complete Making of Indiana Jones."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:57 am

Edward Davis wrote:...apparently George Lucas has been galvanized by all the buzz and is looking to become more involved again. This means the general thinking is probably less of a top-shelf director and likely one -- like Irvin Kirschner and Richard Marquand before them – who can simply execute a vision rather than bring a bold new idea to the table.

Please don't let that be true. Doesn't he understand? The majority of the (positive) buzz is because he ISN'T so involved!!!!!
Ugh.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:24 am

Fievel wrote:
Edward Davis wrote:...apparently George Lucas has been galvanized by all the buzz and is looking to become more involved again. This means the general thinking is probably less of a top-shelf director and likely one -- like Irvin Kirschner and Richard Marquand before them – who can simply execute a vision rather than bring a bold new idea to the table.

Please don't let that be true. Doesn't he understand? The majority of the (positive) buzz is because he ISN'T so involved!!!!!
Ugh.

yeah george, keep your studly chins out of this! just watch all that buzz and excitement disappear once people hear you're trying to fuck around with these movies again.

hopefully disney was smart enough when they bought the rights to have some clauses inserted somewhere that allow them to limit his involvement as much as necessary. they're probably going to need to use them in full force.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:24 pm

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:22 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 15, 2014 1:59 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Thu May 15, 2014 10:16 am

lucas turned 69 yesterday.
tomorrow, his chins turn 40.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 15, 2014 12:43 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:33 pm

I revisited HOWARD THE DUCK. When I was a kid, my mum bought me a bargain bin VHS of this movie and I watched it several times during the VHS era. I always liked it. It had lots of stuff for a kid to enjoy: funny puppet characters, 80s pop music performances, some stunts etc. It wasn't until The Internet that I realized in what poor regard this film is held. People really don't like it. I get that it was a financial flop, but I would've thought by the time The Internet came into popular use for discussing movies, the film would've crept out of the shadow of its box office failure and people would've come to find some fun in it, but I guess not. I find it especially odd how people seem baffled that something like this would ever get made, acting like the idea is just terrilbe even on paper. I mean, movies like WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT? and more recently, TED, feature similiar ideas of a wacky animated/puppet animal character in a live action world and those were both big hits.

Anyway, this movie is still a lot of fun. I really enjoyed it. Even as a kid I always felt the last third dragged a bit when it turns into a jokey version of LIFEFORCE. The part in the diner goes on a bit long, the stuff with Howard doing stunts in that glider goes on a bit long, and the big showdown against the Harryhausen monster goes on a bit long. It isn't tedious by any means, but that whole run of sequences all overstay their welcome by a few minutes each. I prefer the first portion of the movie when Howard is working in the jerkoff spa, and goes to the welfare office, and gets into bar fights 'n shit. That stuff is just good pure absurdism.

The important thing is that everybody involved in this movie seems to get it. Especially Lea Thompson (who is so hot in this movie) and Jeffery Jones. Their performances are just pitch perfect.

Something I thought about this time was how they establish that the duck planet is almost identical to Earth. It has duck versions of all the same political and entertainment figures as Earth. I was wondering if Earth has a human version of Howard T. Duck, maybe named Howard A. Mann? Maybe this is dealt with in the comics. Or maybe if they'd made a sequel they could've explored this. Just a thought.

Anyhoo, Howard was the first Marvel hero ever to be adapted to the big screen. And now Marvel is heading back into the sci-fi comedy zone with GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY and there are rumours of a Howard cameo. I really hope he shows up in there.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:19 pm

‘Star Wars': George Lucas Explains Why He and Disney Disagreed on New Trilogy
The ‘Star Wars’ creator previously cited creative restraints as his reason for not participating in the creative process for the upcoming films.
“The issue was ultimately that they looked at the stories and they said, ‘We want to make something for the fans,'” Lucas said. “People don’t actually realize it’s actually a soap opera and it’s all about family problems – it’s not about spaceships. So they decided they didn’t want to use those stories, they decided they were going to do their own thing so I decided, ‘fine…. I’ll go my way and I let them go their way.'”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Director Discussion