Nicolas Winding Refn (Now w/ Only God Forgives)

Which director made the best films, made the best visuals, or smelled the best? This is the forum to find out.

Re: Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive, Valhalla Rising, Bronson et

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:14 pm

I had never heard of this Bronson guy before the film. Same goes for that movie CHOPPER.
Image
User avatar
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock
 
Posts: 7396
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:15 am
Location: ????

Re: Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive, Valhalla Rising, Bronson et

Postby Ribbons on Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:54 pm

Not I. Not... I.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13891
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive, Valhalla Rising, Bronson et

Postby Spandau Belly on Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:23 pm

Image
Image
User avatar
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock
 
Posts: 7396
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:15 am
Location: ????

Re: Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive, Valhalla Rising, Bronson et

Postby Ribbons on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:56 pm

The Sexiest Man Alive, people!

Looks... interesting? I just bought the soundtrack to Drive so I can feel like a badass while taking the car to Starbucks, and thinking about the movie has made me like it a lot more. The story is Roger Corman, B-level material at best, but there's something there... issues of identity, loneliness and rootlessness that stick with you.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13891
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive, Valhalla Rising, Bronson et

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:57 pm

Sometimes when I'm at work in the cooler working freight, I say to myself in my best Gos voice,"You...just got a little boy's fatha killed. You...almost got us killed....and now you're lying to me. From now on, every word outta your mouth is the truth...or I'm gonna hurt ya!"
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9897
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive, Valhalla Rising, Bronson et

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:29 pm

Refn's first movie, PUSHER, was remade (from what I understand loosely) in India two years ago.



Now we've got another remake, this time in England with a post-Danny Boyle raver look to it. They even got the guy who played Milo in Refn's original to play Milo again.



I can't believe this movie has already been remade twice, and neither remake has been American. The American version has got to be in the works. Who knew PUSHER would be the A STAR IS BORN of this generation? I guess it's a pretty universal story: drug dealer fucks up, owes the wrong people, goes on the run. Still, colour me surprised. I don't know if I'll bother checking out either of these remakes. Probably not.
Image
User avatar
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock
 
Posts: 7396
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:15 am
Location: ????

Re: Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive, Valhalla Rising, Bronson et

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:40 pm

Refn 'n The Goz put their dukes up in the trailer for ONLY GOD FORGIVES.

Image
User avatar
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock
 
Posts: 7396
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:15 am
Location: ????

Re: Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive, Valhalla Rising, Bronson et

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:48 pm

ONLY GOD FORGIVES booed at Cannes, receives scathing reviews and currently sits at 20% on Rotten Tomatoes. I still can't wait to see it.
Image
User avatar
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock
 
Posts: 7396
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:15 am
Location: ????

Re: Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive, Valhalla Rising, Bronson et

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:10 am

Nicolas Winding Refn Reportedly Working On An Adaptation Of Alejandro Jodorowsky & Moebius' 'The Incal'
Kevin Jagernauth wrote:When we caught up with Nicolas Winding Refn at the Cannes Film Festival last week, he remained coy on his future projects. This sexual thriller "I Walk With The Dead" with Carey Mulligan is "looking very good," he's "supposed to read a script" for "Button Man," he's still developing a comedy with Ryan Gosling and working on the TV series "Barbarella." But it seems that's not all Refn is brewing behind-the-scenes, as he's also tackling a project conceived by his pal Alejandro Jodorowsky.

France Inter also talked with Refn on the Croisette, and while they don't provide a direct quote, they do report that he's working on an adaptation of Jodorowsky and Moebius' comic series "The Incal." The original six book series launched in 1981 and is set in a dystopian future, detailing the battle over the powerful Incal crystal. The comic series is notable in that it followed the collapse of Jodorowsky's "Dune," and utilizes some of the similar designs that Moebius had created while working on the movie. (The forthcoming documentary "Jodorowsky's Dune" goes into more detail about that, and you can read our report on that flick right here).

It would certainly make sense for Refn to be taking this on; he's close with Jodorowsky and even dedicated "Only God Forgives" to him. However, further details on "The Incal" are scarce, and it's not clear if this is set up at a production company or studio, or if Refn is just working on it by himself at the moment. But it's not the first time an adaptation has been attempted, as animator Pascal Blais tried in the 1980s before the endeavor was abandoned. In 2011, he tried again but it's not clear how far he got with it. You can see results of both those efforts below (via Films Actu).

So will "The Incal" let Refn scratch the sci-fi itch that is currently not being fulfilled by the stalled "Logan's Run," which his bro Ryan Gosling exited last fall? We'll see, but it's promising stuff.
User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17418
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Re: Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive, Valhalla Rising, Bronson et

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:19 am

Oooh verrrry interesting! Wonder if Jodorowsky would consult on that adaptation if it moves forward?
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Re: Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive, Valhalla Rising, Bronson et

Postby Al Shut on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:06 pm

I've only heard good things about The Incal, yet I'm highly sceptical of Jodorowsky's ability to come up with a cohesive and consistent narrative and working with Moebius sure doesn't help. So naturaaly I'm also sceptical about any adaptation.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6218
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

Re: Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive, Valhalla Rising, Bronson et

Postby so sorry on Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:19 pm

Al Shut wrote:I've only heard good things about The Incal, yet I'm highly sceptical of Jodorowsky's ability to come up with a cohesive and consistent narrative and working with Moebius sure doesn't help. So naturaaly I'm also sceptical about any adaptation.



I think if you just smoke a bowl before you read it you'll easily understand anything those two come up with.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15628
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive, Valhalla Rising, Bronson et

Postby Al Shut on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:28 am

That's like trying to perform Drunken Boxing by actually getting drunk.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6218
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

Re: Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive, Valhalla Rising, Bronson et

Postby BuckyO'harre on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:44 pm

Al Shut wrote:That's like trying to perform Drunken Boxing by actually getting drunk.



You mean Jackie Chan lied to us? Twice? :(

Well there goes that last resort plan.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3724
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:14 am

Re: Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive, Valhalla Rising, Bronson et

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:12 pm

At its worst I thought Only God Forgives was self-indulgent, poorly-scripted, and underdeveloped from the character and story perspectives. At its best it had nice visual elements and was internally consistent, the way it *should* be. SPOILER to explain the last point: essentially that the two most important characters each live by a moral code, no matter how vicious their methods may be... although Gosling's character is tame for the most part. The movie depicts how the two are forced into confrontation by crooked deviant criminals and despite this, both of them come out perhaps not quite as "good" guys, but guys that live by a moral code that one can respect.

Not horrible, but sadly not very good... nowhere near the brilliance of Gosling and Refn's last collaboration, Drive. The above spoiler part aside, the film did unfortunately have an air of pointlessness to it.
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Re: Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive, Valhalla Rising, Bronson et

Postby BuckyO'harre on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:51 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:At its worst I thought Only God Forgives was self-indulgent, poorly-scripted, and underdeveloped from the character and story perspectives. At its best it had nice visual elements and was internally consistent, the way it *should* be. SPOILER to explain the last point: essentially that the two most important characters each live by a moral code, no matter how vicious their methods may be... although Gosling's character is tame for the most part. The movie depicts how the two are forced into confrontation by crooked deviant criminals and despite this, both of them come out perhaps not quite as "good" guys, but guys that live by a moral code that one can respect.

Not horrible, but sadly not very good... nowhere near the brilliance of Gosling and Refn's last collaboration, Drive. The above spoiler part aside, the film did unfortunately have an air of pointlessness to it.



I must respectfully disagree, although I will grant you the self-indulgent bit and acknowledge that it isn't quite as good as 'Drive'.

I felt the characterization was unconventional, but not underdeveloped. However, I should point out that I look at the film as having only one character: Julian. What we see is a blending of reality with his psyche, so the other "characters" are part physical entities, and part archetypes or spiritual forces. The point is the shaping of his soul through its interaction with these manifestations.

Maybe that's just a willful interpretation on my part and not intended, but given the Freudian aspects and karmic journey parallels, I think it's a reasonable enough view.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3724
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:14 am

Re: Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive, Valhalla Rising, Bronson et

Postby SooperPooperScooper on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:54 pm

FUCK OFF!!!!!!!!!!!
SooperPooperScooper
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:50 am
Location: On film sets.

Re: Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive, Valhalla Rising, Bronson et

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:59 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:At its worst I thought Only God Forgives was self-indulgent, poorly-scripted, and underdeveloped from the character and story perspectives. At its best it had nice visual elements and was internally consistent, the way it *should* be. SPOILER to explain the last point: essentially that the two most important characters each live by a moral code, no matter how vicious their methods may be... although Gosling's character is tame for the most part. The movie depicts how the two are forced into confrontation by crooked deviant criminals and despite this, both of them come out perhaps not quite as "good" guys, but guys that live by a moral code that one can respect.

Not horrible, but sadly not very good... nowhere near the brilliance of Gosling and Refn's last collaboration, Drive. The above spoiler part aside, the film did unfortunately have an air of pointlessness to it.



I must respectfully disagree, although I will grant you the self-indulgent bit and acknowledge that it isn't quite as good as 'Drive'.

I felt the characterization was unconventional, but not underdeveloped. However, I should point out that I look at the film as having only one character: Julian. What we see is a blending of reality with his psyche, so the other "characters" are part physical entities, and part archetypes or spiritual forces. The point is the shaping of his soul through its interaction with these manifestations.

Maybe that's just a willful interpretation on my part and not intended, but given the Freudian aspects and karmic journey parallels, I think it's a reasonable enough view.


I dig your interpretation, and must admit I had not put nearly as much thought into exploring those types of themes as you seem to have done... in any case, my original post was glib enough that your respect, while welcome and appreciated, was certainly NOT earned by me. In this manner you and I are like Gosling and that Thai police captain. Dibs on Gosling! :)
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Re: Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive, Valhalla Rising, Bronson et

Postby BuckyO'harre on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:48 am

SooperPooperScooper wrote:FUCK OFF!!!!!!!!!!!



WHAT MUST I WATCH TO MAKE YOU HAPPY, POOPY?!

This didn't have superheroes or giant robots.

Cinephiles cannot live on shark documentaries alone!
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3724
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:14 am

Re: Nicolas Winding Refn (Now w/ Only God Forgives)

Postby Al Shut on Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:56 am

Documentaries about shark populated weather phenomena, perhaps?
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6218
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

Re: Nicolas Winding Refn (Now w/ Only God Forgives)

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:40 pm

Image

ONLY GOD FORGIVES

I think there's only one criticism I have to make about this film, and that is that it is monotone. Nothing ever really becomes loud or fast. None of the scenes really go for a different tone (such as trying to be funny, or suspenseful, or romantic, or sweet). The pace and the tone are prettymuch the exact same dream-like trance the entire film and every scene is about brutality and dominance. I think it became slightly more lively during the part when they fire an uzi in a noodle restaurant, and Kristen Scott Thomas was the actor in this film who seemed most conscious during the time of filming.

The plot is pretty simple: gangsters try to kill a cop who killed one of their own. But I doubt anybody will miss that this film is supposed to be symbollic. I interpreted it as much more of a religious movie, most likely, because of the title. To me the cop guy represented God. Everybody in this movie who disobeys the cop's will, gets maimed. Everybody who challenges his authority, gets killed. He is absolute and cannot be reckonned with. Nobody in this film lays a scratch on him. And so, it is a story of Gosling being humbled before God, hence sacrificing his hands to God at the end.

Refn dedicates the film to Alejandro Jodorowsky, and ONLY GOD FORGIVES does have some elements in common with SANTA SANGRE (lots of severed arms, bullbusting mother figures), but the look and feel is pure David Lynch. Especially the parts where the cop guy performs kareoke and everybody in the audience sits transfixed on his performances felt exactly like Julee Cruise's performances in TWIN PEAKS. The film also has no shortage of long tracking shots down hotel corridors and plenty of fetishizing of hotel textures and surfaces. The sparse, soft-spoken (although vulgar) dialogue is accompanied by soft relaxing electronic keyboard music, and a general dream-like stillness. But Lynch usually changes it up a bit and doesn't stay the entire running time in White Lodge mode. Lynch usually employs a bit more variety by throwing in scenes with a different tone, such as some humour, eroticism, or even scenes that are just more talky. ONLY GOD FORGIVES is Refn aping just one side of Lynch's style, and using it for an entire movie. And as such it tended to lull me into a sleepy state of apathy from time to time.
Image
User avatar
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock
 
Posts: 7396
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:15 am
Location: ????

Re: Nicolas Winding Refn (Now w/ Only God Forgives)

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:50 pm

Sounds like I would really hate this film.

But I'll still give it a chance as soon as it becomes available in some form.

Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9897
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: Nicolas Winding Refn (Now w/ Only God Forgives)

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:53 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Sounds like I would really hate this film.


I guarantee that you will hate this film.
Image
User avatar
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock
 
Posts: 7396
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:15 am
Location: ????

Re: Nicolas Winding Refn (Now w/ Only God Forgives)

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:11 pm

It seems Spandau and I were wrong. I really enjoyed ONLY GOD FORGIVES.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9897
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: Nicolas Winding Refn (Now w/ Only God Forgives)

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:25 pm

Keanu Reeves joins the cast of Refn's next film THE NEON DEMON

It sounds like Elle Fanning is the lead character and the plot involves cannibal/vampire supermodels.

Christina Hendricks once again plays a supporting role.

It's weird, Refn used to be a filmmaker who really excited me, but without anything really going wrong, I've cooled on him a lot. I didn't hate ONLY GOD FORGIVES. And Refn's douchey appearance in JODOROWSKY'S DUNE wasn't unbearabley douchey or anything. But still, I've definitely cooled on him. And I'll admit, THE NEON DEMON sounds like a parody title and the synopsis sounds like something leftover from the Brett Easton Ellis era.

I will see this, though.
Image
User avatar
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock
 
Posts: 7396
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:15 am
Location: ????

Re: Nicolas Winding Refn (Now w/ Only God Forgives)

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:30 am

That plot synopsis actually makes me want to see it more than I have any reason to want to see a Refn movie.

Although I liked ONLY GOD FORGIVES a lot.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9897
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Previous

Return to Director Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron