Nicolas Winding Refn (Now w/ Only God Forgives)

Which director made the best films, made the best visuals, or smelled the best? This is the forum to find out.

Nicolas Winding Refn (Now w/ Only God Forgives)

Postby carls143 on Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:28 pm

:shock: http://www.bronsonthemovie.com/
http://www.empireonline.com/features
Vertigo Films will release the movie in Spring 2009
Nicholas Winding Refn will direct the movie. His previous films include the highly controversial and acclaimed PUSHER Trilogy and Fear X with John Turroro.
BRONSON is the evolutionary journey of Mickey Peterson into Britain’s most notorious and dangerous living prisoner CHARLES BRONSON. Originally sentenced to 7 years in prison for burglary, Charles Bronson has been behind bars for 34 years, 30 of which have been spent in solitary confinement. Charlie has forged an outrageous reputation through violence, hostage taking and rooftop protests to become a notorious figure in the British public’s conscious.
Taking the title role of BRONSON will be Bafta nominated actor Tom Hardy (Black Hawk Down, WAZ, RocknRolla) who has been described by critics as one of the most promising young actors today.

CLCIK THIS URL FOR THE TRAILER:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6szTZaVFEgA
carls143
GLIB

Postby John-Locke on Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:52 pm

I tried to get tickets for this when it was showing at the London Film Festival but I left it too late. Early word is it's rather good with one scene in particular where the mental patients are dancing about to the pet shop boys' " it's a sin" being described as a highlight of the LFF by Critic Jason Solomons.

Over here in the UK Bronson is a bit of a legend, not that people like him or what he stands for but just that such a nutty guy exists.

I even had a dog called Bronson (although he was also named after Charles Bronson & the Teacher from Grange Hill).

Anyways, can't wait to see this and thanks for the trailer link, looks like riveting stuff.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:00 pm

Holeeee shit, Refn and Tom Hardy doing the Bronson story with surreal flourishes and epic scope. I just came a little.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Kutulhu on Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:15 am

Is nothing sacred, there is only one Charles Bronson

Kutulhu
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby TroyMcClure on Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:38 pm

You mean we weren't talking about THE Charles Bronson this whole time? Son of a biiiiitch.

Death Wish RULES.
"Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You might remember me from other nature films such as "Man vs. Nature, The Road to Victory!" and "Earwigs...ewww!"
TroyMcClure
GLIB

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:40 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:41 pm

TheButcher wrote:From Twitch: [url]http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/thought-the-teaser-was-great-heres-the-full-trailer-for-nicolas-winding-ref#extendedHere’s The Full Trailer For Nicolas Winding Refn’s BRONSON[/url]

FAIL!

Come Butcher you are the master of links! I guess we all have an off day.

EDIT: Too slow!! :wink:
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:27 am

That looks positively brilliant. I love it when this shit just comes out of no where to beam me in the face.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:39 am

I have to second burl. That looks kick ass. Can't wait to catch it.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:40 pm

Awesome trailer.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby John-Locke on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:11 pm

This film looks Proper
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:56 am

Holy fuck, Picard's Romulan clone came a long way!
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:18 am

Man I am so excited for this. Refn is a major talent and the Pusher trilogy is brilliant.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Seppuku on Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:44 am

I've got tickets to a screening of this with a Q&A with the director on Friday, but I've got no idea who this Bronson guy is and I've never seen The Pusher Trilogy or, indeed, any of the director's previous films. It'd be kind of a waste if I went there without saying something. Anyone got anything they wanna ask him? If you don't, I guess I'll probably ask him if he's ever worn women's clothing or masturbated at work.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Peven on Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:21 am

i think he was great in True Romance and his role as Balki is....uh...you mean this isn't the Bronson Pinchot thread? my bad :oops:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby DaleTremont on Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:58 pm

Seppuku wrote:I've got tickets to a screening of this with a Q&A with the director on Friday, but I've got no idea who this Bronson guy is and I've never seen The Pusher Trilogy or, indeed, any of the director's previous films. It'd be kind of a waste if I went there without saying something. Anyone got anything they wanna ask him? If you don't, I guess I'll probably ask him if he's ever worn women's clothing or masturbated at work.

Please ask him to give Tom Hardy my phone number. It's 510-555-8976. You can also mention I'm easy and not unattractive. Thanks!
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Seppuku on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:20 pm

DaleTremont wrote:
Seppuku wrote:I've got tickets to a screening of this with a Q&A with the director on Friday, but I've got no idea who this Bronson guy is and I've never seen The Pusher Trilogy or, indeed, any of the director's previous films. It'd be kind of a waste if I went there without saying something. Anyone got anything they wanna ask him? If you don't, I guess I'll probably ask him if he's ever worn women's clothing or masturbated at work.

Please ask him to give Tom Hardy my phone number. It's 510-555-8976. You can also mention I'm easy and not unattractive. Thanks!

I can't remember, but I think Tom Hardy's actually showing up to the Q&A. I reckon the chances of him calling you up will prolly double if I mention your fingerbanging fetish, though.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby DaleTremont on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:30 pm

Seppuku wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:

I can't remember, but I think Tom Hardy's actually showing up to the Q&A. I reckon the chances of him calling you up will prolly double if I mention your fingerbanging fetish, though.

I hereby grant you my permission to work that in.

On a less-kinky note, I just noticed all the Pusher movies are available on insta-watch on Netflix so I'm going to insta-watch them right NOW!
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Re: BRONSON (Now w/ Pet Shop Boys. Also Trailer)

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:47 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:43 pm

Trailer looks great.

Hardy buffed up just a wee bit for this, huh?
Maui
WoWie

Postby John-Locke on Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Just got back from seeing this, it really is rather good (but not excellent). It's a very strange, odd & bizarre film. Hard to describe it really, the best I can come up with is it's like a Gilliam Directed version of A Clockwork Orange with Chopper as the main character. Excellent use of Classical and 80's Music, nice shot on film bleak cinematography and a truly outstanding performance from Tom Hardy who totally becomes Bronson, really is an impressive & memorable performance.

It's not going to be a film for the masses though, the subject matter, general off-keyness of the tone & story structure, dark humour & the deliberately slow pace at times will alienate a lot of people.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Seppuku on Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:12 am

Alright, a certain Dawson's Creek fan reminded me that I hadn't posted my thoughts on this film. This might have had something to do with the fact that I left the Q&A fuming at the fact that the host didn't just ask the Questions, he also Answered them too before anyone had a chance to get a word in edgeways. This same guy also introduced Bronson as the "best biopic since Raging Bull, and maybe even better," which is a weight of expectation that'll crush any film.

Bronson is the story of one of those feral balls of rage there seem to be a lot of in these isles. Men overflowing with passion and ambition but with no conduit of release, whose scant vocabularies barely suffice in expressing the emotions eating away at them. So it should come as no surprise when he gets thrown away for armed robbery. The sentence was seven years, but the real Bronson's still in chokey now.

I think the screenwriter might have written this to play as a pretty straightforward crime/biopic, but the director said he did everything he could to work around the screenplay, which apparently wasn't much to write home about. Definitely the right move. All the weirdly comedic moments are what make this movie worth seeing. It still hints at some of the themes in the original draft- like the need to make a name for yourself any way possible (i.e. being printed up in The Sun)- but this is more about the way it's being told than what's being told. Bronson narrates his life via a sort of Freddy Starr-style stage performance, which is a technique that must have been all Refn and that'll divide most of the audience. Those scenes were my favourite parts of the movie, personally. A completely naked Tom Hardy, built like a rhino, painted to look like Janus? Nice. Apparently most of the more out there moments of this flick were pretty heavily influenced by Kenneth Anger's movies (check out Lucifer Rising on Google Video and find out for yourself).

Tom Hardy did a De Niro in the two or three months between RockNRolla and Bronson and doubled in size. He also spent quite a bit of time going to the prison where Bronson was being held: he was the only visitor the real Bronson had been allowed to see for years (even the director didn't get to see him). All of this resulted in the kind of performance it's hard to tear your eyes away from, wondering who he's going to blap next. The Dumbledore 'tache only makes him even more frightening. You can tell there's a witty, artistic soul buried underneath all that brawn, it's just without the words or artistry to express himself, he's forced to rely on his body instead. It's definitely a career-making role, and the director didn't even want him to begin with. He thought he was an aggressive idiot so he went to Guy Pearce instead, who was more than a little bit concerned as to why Refn went to him to play this loonie.

I dug the '80s electro soundtrack, and the Scott Walker track played at the beginning, and I mostly liked the over-scored style (you know, Ride of the Valkyries playing while Hardy's walking down some tiny hallway), but there were a few techniques that got pretty annoying after awhile. I mean, did there really have to be that many shots of Hardy walking towards the camera? Also, if you're looking for any real insights into the Bronson story, I'd probably look elsewhere. This is more the I'm Not There style of biopic than Milk. But if you want a sometimes amusing, sometimes bemusing British crime film that has fuck all to do with Guy Ritchie, I'd definitely give this a view.

Also, I spent the whole movie sitting next to the guy who played the art teacher without even knowing it!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Hermanator X on Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:28 am

Nice write up Sepp.

Im pretty keen to see this one, as he is an interesting character, and one who got discussed a lot when I was at school with some of my mates, (The obligatory school kid tales of who had heard the craziest things he had done, probably 99% false, but it was fun). God knows when I will get the chance, and will more than likely be the DVD for me.

Lets hope for a Chopper vs Bronson buddy movie some time in the future.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:38 am

Cool review, Sepp. I'm really excited to see this, I was wondering actually, does the structure of the film - with Hardy performing for that suited and booted audience - feel like Refn is commenting on the sort of dual nature of people's revulsion and fascination with Bronson? Or that Bronson's infamy is down to how there's a huge market for legends of vicious violent men with an artistic streak?
TonyWilson

Postby instant_karma on Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:56 am

TonyWilson wrote:Or that Bronson's infamy is down to how there's a huge market for legends of vicious violent men with an artistic streak?

This is something I'll be going to the movie wondering about as well. I've always been dismayed at the british public's tendency to romanticise violent thugs (the fact that thousands of people turned out for Reggie Kray's funeral kind of made me want to leave this country) and I really hope the film doesn't play to that too much.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Seppuku on Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:58 am

instant_karma wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Or that Bronson's infamy is down to how there's a huge market for legends of vicious violent men with an artistic streak?

This is something I'll be going to the movie wondering about as well. I've always been dismayed at the british public's tendency to romanticise violent thugs (the fact that thousands of people turned out for Reggie Kray's funeral kind of made me want to leave this country) and I really hope the film doesn't play to that too much.

Apparently the Jade biopic's already started filming!

EDIT: And I wouldn't say there's much romanticising going on at all. That pisses me off, too. But I reckon getting a Dane to film this thing cut through all that Essex Boys bullshit a lot of Brit flicks succumb to.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Maui on Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:07 pm

Nice review Sepp!

Anyone know when this will hit the US? I haven't been able to find any dates anywhere....except in the UK.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:32 pm

Seppuku wrote:Alright, a certain Dawson's Creek fan reminded me that I hadn't posted my thoughts on this film. This might have had something to do with the fact that I left the Q&A fuming at the fact that the host didn't just ask the Questions, he also Answered them too before anyone had a chance to get a word in edgeways. This same guy also introduced Bronson as the "best biopic since Raging Bull, and maybe even better," which is a weight of expectation that'll crush any film.

Bronson is the story of one of those feral balls of rage there seem to be a lot of in these isles. Men overflowing with passion and ambition but with no conduit of release, whose scant vocabularies barely suffice in expressing the emotions eating away at them. So it should come as no surprise when he gets thrown away for armed robbery. The sentence was seven years, but the real Bronson's still in chokey now.

I think the screenwriter might have written this to play as a pretty straightforward crime/biopic, but the director said he did everything he could to work around the screenplay, which apparently wasn't much to write home about. Definitely the right move. All the weirdly comedic moments are what make this movie worth seeing. It still hints at some of the themes in the original draft- like the need to make a name for yourself any way possible (i.e. being printed up in The Sun)- but this is more about the way it's being told than what's being told. Bronson narrates his life via a sort of Freddy Starr-style stage performance, which is a technique that must have been all Refn and that'll divide most of the audience. Those scenes were my favourite parts of the movie, personally. A completely naked Tom Hardy, built like a rhino, painted to look like Janus? Nice. Apparently most of the more out there moments of this flick were pretty heavily influenced by Kenneth Anger's movies (check out Lucifer Rising on Google Video and find out for yourself).

Tom Hardy did a De Niro in the two or three months between RockNRolla and Bronson and doubled in size. He also spent quite a bit of time going to the prison where Bronson was being held: he was the only visitor the real Bronson had been allowed to see for years (even the director didn't get to see him). All of this resulted in the kind of performance it's hard to tear your eyes away from, wondering who he's going to blap next. The Dumbledore 'tache only makes him even more frightening. You can tell there's a witty, artistic soul buried underneath all that brawn, it's just without the words or artistry to express himself, he's forced to rely on his body instead. It's definitely a career-making role, and the director didn't even want him to begin with. He thought he was an aggressive idiot so he went to Guy Pearce instead, who was more than a little bit concerned as to why Refn went to him to play this loonie.

I dug the '80s electro soundtrack, and the Scott Walker track played at the beginning, and I mostly liked the over-scored style (you know, Ride of the Valkyries playing while Hardy's walking down some tiny hallway), but there were a few techniques that got pretty annoying after awhile. I mean, did there really have to be that many shots of Hardy walking towards the camera? Also, if you're looking for any real insights into the Bronson story, I'd probably look elsewhere. This is more the I'm Not There style of biopic than Milk. But if you want a sometimes amusing, sometimes bemusing British crime film that has fuck all to do with Guy Ritchie, I'd definitely give this a view.

Also, I spent the whole movie sitting next to the guy who played the art teacher without even knowing it!

All I can say after reading this is - WOW! The guy played the art teacher without even knowing it?!? What a retard!!! I bet they never even paid him!

Sigh. Not to bothered about this movie, but this review helps encourage me towards doing so.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:53 am

Another new trailer on Apple.com:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/magnolia/bronson/

It's a very interesting movie and should definitely be seen but may be more style than substance.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:31 pm

Stereos is right I think; It's good stuff, though it does stray into very stylistic and rather abstract territory at times - like an English Dumbledore disco riff on Chopper in a way. Been meaning to write up some thoughts since seeing it at a festival last month; it's already been and gone at cinemas here.

edit: Seppuku's review above is pretty bang on.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:02 am

Yeah well all this this and that and that and this about how well made or acted it is, is complete irrelevant. At the end of the day, it's another Chopper, a movie that still takes a violent monster in real life that we would hate, dresses him up and makes him all 'visually attractive' being in a movie, alters some facts, but most importantly, for the sake of 'entertainment' ends up making this guy too likeable and adrenalin pulsating to viewers.

When people were coming out of the theatre, mostly young indian chav wankers, they were all 'celebrating' the guy and acting out the movie and saying stuff like 'Ooooh aye, I'll beat you up and do a BRONSON on ya if you give me shit, here - POW!

Seriously, we gotta draw a line on these violent monster biopics. People think they're too 'cool'.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby John-Locke on Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:40 am

Have you even seen the film?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:26 am

Considering the film makes it rather clear Bronson is a repressed homosexual and/or transvestite who's trapped by his conformist upbringing and finds release in only violence or art, reducing it down to being another "aren't criminals cool" film is pretty myopic. There's also the issue that some violent criminals ARE exciting and make interesting figures for biographies, especially when the films tackle the inner conflict and reasons for the criminal/violent behaviour.
I absolutely loved this film and thought the highly stylised direction made perfect sense because it evoked Bronson's sense of flair, his operatic view of himself and situation, but it also helped undercut any sense of macho posturing or just making Bronson a cool aspirational figure because it was so flamboyant and demented there's no question that this is a deeply troubled, damaged and pitiful man.
TonyWilson

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:36 am

Sure he is. Moreso than his victims I bet people would feel. Tuts.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:55 am

Kirk, have you started getting daily injections of the Daily Mail or something? You do realise it's a FILM right? Not even a documentary, a very loose biography with more on it's mind than saying the already blindingly obvious "Bronson is a bad man".
TonyWilson

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:26 pm

You can't use the excuse that it's just a film therefore it doesn't matter if it's shit. That argument should NEVER be used. Sometimes all we need to know is that a bad man is a bad man. Do you want to see a Disneyfied version of flipping Hitler? Of course not.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:13 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:You can't use the excuse that it's just a film therefore it doesn't matter if it's shit. That argument should NEVER be used. Sometimes all we need to know is that a bad man is a bad man. Do you want to see a Disneyfied version of flipping Hitler? Of course not.

I'm not excusing it for anything, it's excellent all the way through as far as I'm concerned.
TonyWilson

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:15 pm

TonyWilson wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:You can't use the excuse that it's just a film therefore it doesn't matter if it's shit. That argument should NEVER be used. Sometimes all we need to know is that a bad man is a bad man. Do you want to see a Disneyfied version of flipping Hitler? Of course not.

I'm not excusing it for anything, it's excellent all the way through as far as I'm concerned.

I bet it's not.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:47 pm

Oh, touché.
TonyWilson

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:07 pm

Phew I'm glad I seem to be of the same mind about Bronson as most of you... it wasn't a bad film at all, and from the trailer I expected a non-linear storyline with the stagey elements. Unfortunately though, the final result leaves a bit to be desired. The film is pretty messy and all over the place, it's really difficult to get a handle on anything at all so while it is a stylish film I was almost never engaged while watching it.

And yeah, Chopper covered this territory before, and so have other British miscreant movies, so despite the fact that Bronson is an interesting character, the movie brought little insight to understanding or empathizing with the dude.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby travis-dane on Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:02 am

Tom Hardy's performance is great. The movie is good and I dont agree with Pacino, it gives you mucho insight and let's you know enough about the character.
In fact, Hardy has some brilliant scenes were he explains whats going on and why he does what he does.
The movie focuses on Bronson's only way of really talking to people and that is through violence. It's his form of "art".
Bronson, his real name is Michael Peterson, is a fucked up dude and you should check out his Wiki page to see what the dude has done.
I recommend the movie to everyone who wants to see one of the best performances of the year and who wants to see a fascinating character on screen.
7 out of 10 for the movie and 10 out of 10 for Hardys performance.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:50 am

Hardy was pretty great but I feel the movie buried his performance a bit... and I did read up on the real life Bronson, even checked out his website, and I stand by my review! The real life dude clearly has a mischievous quality about him, something which was not at all reflected in the movie.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:21 am

Pacino86845 wrote: The real life dude clearly has a mischievous quality about him, something which was not at all reflected in the movie.

Wha? I thought it was an extremely mischievious, impish kinda movie, by turns hilarious and squalidly operatic. It's not trying to be Chopper at all, imo.
TonyWilson

Postby travis-dane on Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:34 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Hardy was pretty great but I feel the movie buried his performance a bit... and I did read up on the real life Bronson, even checked out his website, and I stand by my review! The real life dude clearly has a mischievous quality about him, something which was not at all reflected in the movie.

See, I think the movie clearly showed his childlike side, always playfull and up to no good. I think the various kinds of narration work great and make the movie a stand out and different.
By all means Pacino, please stand by your review, I just dont agree with you at all.
And the movie did not bury Hardy's performance, Hardy's performance is the movie, he makes it work.

But I still think you're hot!
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:48 pm

HAHA, awesome!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:23 pm

I saw BRONSON last night and really liked it. I know it deals with an ultraviolent psychopath and the system's treatment of him and that's why lots of people are comparing it to Clockwork Orange, and it's obvious that the people making this movie had studied Clockwork Orange. And this film is also a true story about a famous prisonner who does insane things and nobody quite understands what makes him tick, so other people compare it to Chopper. But I will put in the Portrait Of An Asshole subgenre along with Raging Bull because I don't really feel the entertainment value of the film comes from its subject at all, but more from the way it tells the story. For me the experience of Bronson is more about feelings and visual sequences and atmosphere than about the facts of a man's life or social commentary. It rolled along very smoothly for me and kept me engaged the whole time.

I have also ordered the soundtrack.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Nicholas Winding Refn (Valhalla Rising, Drive etc etc)

Postby Hermanator X on Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:16 pm

Cannot fuggin' wait for this...

One-Eye (Mads Mikkelsen), a mute warrior of supernatural strength, has been held prisoner by the chieftain Barde. Aided by a boy, Are, he kills his captor and together they escape, beginning a journey into the heart of darkness. On their flight from bounty hunters, One-Eye and Are board a Viking vessel, but the ship is soon engulfed by an endless fog that first disintegrates as they sight an unknown land. As the new land reveals its secrets and the Vikings meet a ghastly fate, One-Eye discovers his true self.

Enough reading, get to watching some ultraviolence...

...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Re: Valhalla Rising

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:38 pm

Aw shit yeh, this will bury Gibson's Viking movie. It looks beyond badass and Refn is a master of ultraviolence.
TonyWilson

Postby Hermanator X on Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:41 pm

Shit yeh indeed, Mads looks to be on top form here. But what is it with that dude and eye problems? :wink:
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:47 pm

Is this about the Vikings discovering America? (There have been archival remains found of the Vikings' presence in N. America).

Either way, that was one of the craziest trailers I've seen in recent memory. I'm a fan of Gibson's directing, but if the rest of the movie's as messed up as that trailer it'll be hard for him to top.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Next

Return to Director Discussion