THE SIDNEY pLUMETting THREAD

Which director made the best films, made the best visuals, or smelled the best? This is the forum to find out.

Best SIDNEY LUMET movie?

THE HURRICANE!!!!!
No votes
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
No votes
Find Me Guilty
No votes
Gloria
No votes
Critical Care
No votes
Night Falls on Manhattan
No votes
Guilty as Sin
No votes
A Stranger Among Us
No votes
Q & A
No votes
Family Business
No votes
Running on Empty
No votes
The Morning After
No votes
Power
No votes
Garbo Talks!
No votes
Daniel
No votes
The Verdict
No votes
Deathtrap
No votes
Prince of the City
No votes
Just Tell Me What You Want
No votes
The Wiz
No votes
Equus
20%
Network
20%
Dog Day Afternoon
20%
Murder on the Orient Express
10%
Lovin' Molly
No votes
Serpico
10%
Child's Play
No votes
The Offence
No votes
The Anderson Tapes
No votes
Last of the Mobile Hot Shots
No votes
The Appointment
No votes
The Sea Gull
No votes
Bye Bye Braverman
No votes
The Deadly Affair
No votes
The Group
No votes
The Hill
No votes
The Mound (Prequel to The Hill)
No votes
Fail-Safe
No votes
The Pawnbroker
10%
Long Day's Journey Into Night
10%
Vu du pont
No votes
The Fugitive Kind
No votes
Stage Struck
No votes
12 Angry Men
No votes
12 Slightly Irritated Men (Prequel)
No votes
TOO MANY TO MENTION!!!!!!!!!!!
No votes

Total votes : 10

THE SIDNEY pLUMETting THREAD

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu May 05, 2011 9:14 pm

I was going to do a Sidney Lumet thread just before he died, but then I thought you gentlemen don't deserve one.

Then I saw 12 Angry men - and then Sidney Lumet die as a consequence of that. Not sure how it affected me to do one or not, but you gentlemen still didn't deserve one.

Then Bucky nearly killed me in the Thor thread, so I thought I'd do one here.

So, Sidney Lumet... discuss...

(I'll fill in the rest later)
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue May 10, 2011 12:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Re: THE SIDNEY LUMET THREAD

Postby BuckyO'harre on Thu May 05, 2011 10:24 pm

Good dog. :mrgreen:

I've been watching a lot of Lumet lately. So far I've seen 12 Angry Men,Long Day's Journey Into Night,The Offence,Serpico,Murder on the Orient Express,Dog Day Afternoon,and Network,but there's still plenty of goodies for me to discover. Fail-Safe,The Hill,The Verdict,etc.

Hell of a body of work.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu May 05, 2011 11:10 pm

For realsies, some amazing movies I didn't know he directed before a few months ago (12 Angry Men, Murder on the Orient Express, The Pawnbroker)
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby minstrel on Fri May 06, 2011 12:46 am

The Verdict. Maybe Paul Newman's finest work, and a great courtroom drama. And that final scene with Newman relaxing as the phone rings and rings is a brilliant close.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Bloo on Fri May 06, 2011 1:41 am

minstrel wrote:The Verdict. Maybe Paul Newman's finest work, and a great courtroom drama. And that final scene with Newman relaxing as the phone rings and rings is a brilliant close.

I've had that on my Netflix Instant Que for awhile, I may have to check it ou
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Al Shut on Fri May 06, 2011 4:14 am

THe movie of his I can remember strongest is 'Before the Devil knows your Dead' and that wasn't good at all. The whole fractured structure was a mess, often unclear at what point of the story a scene was taking place.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri May 06, 2011 7:47 am

Don't forget Q&A, that cop thriller starring Nick Nolte at his scariest, ferocious best. Like a big, intimidating bear that no one, not even Gangsters would dare answer back to 'cos they knew he'd kill them, this is the Nolte role that everyone talks about.

But it's that attention to detail, the terminology and how everything works in this world of police and internal affairs investigation that is one greater persuasion that makes you wonder just what involvement Sidney Lumet has in this profession. Did he work in any area of the law or police in his past?

The knowledge and insight his films showed you thought could only be found by someone who was deeply involved in that world. Turns out, no he was just a great theatre director and film director. That's being vague though. I want to know what work he did as just a 'great director' that lead him to have such intricate detailed information in his films about the criminal/police/law universe that he depicted.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby SilentScream on Fri May 06, 2011 8:56 am

Four outstanding films (from many) for me were his adaptation of Equus with Richard Burton and Peter Firth giving brilliant performances. Firth, in particular, is SPECTACULAR. A mate of mine thought this movie pretentious. I thought him a prat and told him to lay off the playstations a bit, read a few plays and expand his thought processes a bit. This flick is a mighty powerful and potent brew.
Network, another career best from Peter Firth and Faye Dunaway and by the far the best ever satire on the exploitative nature of televison and what lengths the people in that industry will go to in order to get their TV ratings up. And how gullible the viewing public are to such exploitation. Years ahead of it's time and it makes a great companion piece to Billy Wilder's monumentally classic Sunset Boulevard and Marty Scorsese's wonderfully deranged The King Of Comedy.
The Pawnbroker. Jeez, I remember seeing this and being bowled over by it. Rod Steiger plays a holocaust survivor making a shabby living as a pawnbroker and is forever haunted by his his memories from his time in the concentration camps. Deeply moving stuff and, for once, Steiger lays off the ham and gives, yes, another career best performance.
And how can I ever forget Dog Day Afternoon? What is there left to say about this flick? I never tire of watching it. There's Pacino, of course, and the late lamented John Cazale; but, better still, Lumet himself never treats the subject matter (a true story story about a bungled bank robbery by a guy who wanted the money so that his boyfriend could have a sex change operation) nor the characters with anything but respect, integrity and sympathy. A CLASSIC.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon May 09, 2011 12:41 pm

Sometime I think that you guys would rather see a Sidney Lumet directed shitfest blockbuster like The Wiz, rather than see one of his proper films, judging by your response.

OOoooOOOooohhhh Sidney Lumet not diwect enuff Comic Book moobees for you kiddies eh?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby BuckyO'harre on Mon May 09, 2011 12:59 pm

*puts on his pimp glove*

I don't see a poll,Kirk...
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Mon May 09, 2011 1:14 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Don't forget Q&A, that cop thriller starring Nick Nolte at his scariest, ferocious best. Like a big, intimidating bear that no one, not even Gangsters would dare answer back to 'cos they knew he'd kill them, this is the Nolte role that everyone talks about.

But it's that attention to detail, the terminology and how everything works in this world of police and internal affairs investigation that is one greater persuasion that makes you wonder just what involvement Sidney Lumet has in this profession. Did he work in any area of the law or police in his past?

The knowledge and insight his films showed you thought could only be found by someone who was deeply involved in that world. Turns out, no he was just a great theatre director and film director. That's being vague though. I want to know what work he did as just a 'great director' that lead him to have such intricate detailed information in his films about the criminal/police/law universe that he depicted.

Perhaps he read the newspapers? I've not seen Q&A , cheers for the rec. In return, track down this amazing book he wrote, its fantastic. In fact, I'm quite overdue a re-read myself!
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon May 09, 2011 6:47 pm

Checked it. Yeah I remember this book, sounds like it's the essential one to get!

Bucky, my rabbit warren still hurts! :( :P
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Re: THE SIDNEY pLUMETting THREAD

Postby BuckyO'harre on Mon May 09, 2011 7:58 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Bucky, my rabbit warren still hurts! :( :P

I only do it because I care,baby.
Now here, have a jaffa cake.

Wait a minute...

"You may select 1 option"?!
What the hell is that shit?
Obviously it should be at least three.

Am I gonna have to use righty on you,ho?
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon May 09, 2011 8:03 pm

No, just the Rampant Rabbit. ... And a threesome is created.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby magicmonkey on Tue May 10, 2011 10:49 am

Have you guys finished playing Starfish and Hutch? (I'll get my coat).

But, seriously...

I don't see "The Hurricane" on that poll! Ah well... I remember not being too impressed with the flick on release, but I really think it might be due another appraisal.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue May 10, 2011 11:21 am

What? It took me ages to copy and paste that list from IMDB!! You telling me there's MORE I left out? Anything TV I didn't put in.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby BuckyO'harre on Tue May 10, 2011 8:21 pm

If you mean the Denzel flick about boxer Rubin Carter,'twas directed by Norman Jewison,MM.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue May 10, 2011 10:20 pm

Is this a wind up, MM? I bet he'll say Star Wars or Walter and the Tigers and I'll believe him too. As I can't be arsed to research this darn thread.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Tue May 10, 2011 10:49 pm

Are you taking the piss? ARE YOU TAKING THE PISS?

I mean, it could be an honest mistake. Jewison does have a handful of Lumet-like movies on his resume: The Hurricane, In the Heat of the Night... uh... Rollerball...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby SilentScream on Wed May 11, 2011 1:14 pm

Lumet was a bit like John Huston. Very versatile with a great range of subject matter to his films. Sad this thread hasn't had a better response.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby magicmonkey on Fri May 13, 2011 1:30 am

BuckyO'harre wrote:If you mean the Denzel flick about boxer Rubin Carter,'twas directed by Norman Jewison,MM.

Oh shit. That is the one I'm talking about. Sorry Kirk...
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri May 13, 2011 3:03 pm

magicmonkey wrote:
BuckyO'harre wrote:If you mean the Denzel flick about boxer Rubin Carter,'twas directed by Norman Jewison,MM.

Oh shit. That is the one I'm talking about. Sorry Kirk...

Sigh. I've just been researching all the archives of Lumet's career and interviewing his family for what this film actually is. none of them had a clue.

Now I gotta rewrite the poll too.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Return to Director Discussion