Jacques Audiard (Un Prophète, De Rouille et D'os)

Which director made the best films, made the best visuals, or smelled the best? This is the forum to find out.

Jacques Audiard (Un Prophète, De Rouille et D'os)

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon May 28, 2012 10:09 am

I figured I would start a thread for Jacques Audiard, who is one of my favorite filmmakers to emerge in the last 20 years.

I consider A PROPHET to be a masterpiece and his best film to date.

I also really loved THE BEAT THAT MY HEART SKIPPED. He did an amazing job directing Romain Duris in that.

His new one, RUST & BONE, is tearing it up at Cannes right now. I can't wait to see it.

Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Re: Jacques Audiard (Un Prophète, De Rouille et D'os)

Postby so sorry on Mon May 28, 2012 10:17 am

Nipples.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: Jacques Audiard (Un Prophète, De Rouille et D'os)

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:40 am

RUST & BONE

So I did finally see this film. I think the first third of the film is solid, I think the middle third of the film is perfection, and I think the final third of the film goes in the wrong direction and left me unsatisfied.

It starts off with the slowburn natural character building that we've come to expect from Audiard. Nothing huge or showy, just subtly laying the groundwork and setting us up for a punch to the gut. We meet Matthias Schoenaerts and Marion Cotillard's characters. Schoenaerts is a thug taking low level jobs on either side of the law, constantly fucking up, running away, and generally living a life avoiding responsibility or commitment. Cotillard worked at a local marine park until an accident with a whale left her without legs or a reason to live.

The movie comes alive as their personal and professional bond makes them a strong team. They become lovers and as Schoenaerts proves to be a star of the gypsy bareknuckle boxing circuit, Cotillard seems to find vicarious passion by acting as his manager. I found the first sex scene to be really powerful, seeing them fuck with Cotillard's stumps sticking up in the air was a bold move, but when we get to the later part where Cotillard gets tattoos on her stumps, starts dressing like a gangster and getting on top during sex, I thought this was going to be my favourite movie ever. It seemed like it was heading into that zone of dirty sports masterpiece along the lines of Monte Hellman's COCKFIGHTER. Then it kinda shits it.

The movie splits up the main characters and that's my main problem with the final act. I would've probably prefered any final act that kept these two together. The film just seems to lose its focus and then they wrap it all up too quickly and with a narration that I found meaningless. The characters' actions in the final act are logical and consistent with their character, but still, it was somewhat unrewarding for me to see them spend this portion of the film apart and their renunion felt rushed and unrewarding.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Return to Director Discussion