Christopher Nolan is like M. Night Shyamalan

Which director made the best films, made the best visuals, or smelled the best? This is the forum to find out.

Christopher Nolan is like M. Night Shyamalan

Postby minstrel on Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:23 am

That might be an inflammatory statement. But look, both directors made a couple of really cool movies early in their careers, and have been on a downward slide ever since. We all know about Night's record, but step back and take a look at Nolan's. Interstellar is unwatchable. The Dark Knight Rises stinks. Inception is nowhere near as good as it could have been. Nolan's movies are sterile and bloodless, kind of like Kubrick's, except Kubrick always had a grander theme in mind whereas Nolan is just dicking around.

The only Nolan movie I really like is The Dark Knight, and that's pretty much only because of Heath Ledger's Joker. The Prestige is saved by Hugh Jackman, despite Christian Bale's desperate attempts to sink it.

Nolan is highly intelligent and intellectual in his moviemaking, but his career arc looks more and more like Shyamalan's.

Just thought I'd put that out there.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Re: Christopher Nolan is like M. Night Shyamalan

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:00 am

What a load of shit!

This is a joke right?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Spandau Belly on Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:51 am

I find these two statements at odds with each other:

minstrel wrote:Nolan's movies are sterile and bloodless, kind of like Kubrick's, except Kubrick always had a grander theme in mind whereas Nolan is just dicking around.

vs

minstrel wrote:Nolan is highly intelligent and intellectual in his moviemaking

It feels like in the first statement you call his work vapid and emptyheaded, like he's just posing as an intellectual. Then in the second statement you call him an intellectual.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Al Shut on Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:36 pm

Holy shit, is that what Scots sound like?

I see Nolan more on a bumpy ride than a downward slide, one or two bad movies away from calling for a Shyamalan comparison. But then again I haven't seen INterstellar yet and rate The Prestige significantly higher than minstrel does.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Ribbons on Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:25 pm

Right now I think the most likely candidate for the mantle of "New M. Night Shyamalan" is Neill Blomkamp
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby minstrel on Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:55 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:I find these two statements at odds with each other:

minstrel wrote:Nolan's movies are sterile and bloodless, kind of like Kubrick's, except Kubrick always had a grander theme in mind whereas Nolan is just dicking around.

vs

minstrel wrote:Nolan is highly intelligent and intellectual in his moviemaking

It feels like in the first statement you call his work vapid and emptyheaded, like he's just posing as an intellectual. Then in the second statement you call him an intellectual.

I don't see a conflict. It's possible to be intelligent and still just dick around. The first statement doesn't say that Nolan is just posing as an intellectual; he IS an intellectual, but he isn't really saying much. The main point is that Kubrick had a point, and Nolan basically just wears a classy suit.
minstrel

Postby minstrel on Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:57 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:What a load of shit!

This is a joke right?

Shut up, Kirks, you're out of your element. :)
minstrel

Postby minstrel on Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:59 pm

Ribbons wrote:Right now I think the most likely candidate for the mantle of "New M. Night Shyamalan" is Neill Blomkamp

You might be right. There's a definite comparison there. Does Blomkamp make all his movies in Philadelphia? :)
minstrel

Postby Ribbons on Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:17 am

Well, two in Johannesburg
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:36 am

It is borderline ridiculous to compare Nolan to M Night. As much as I personally enjoy Blomkamp's work I think in relation to box office performance Ribbons is correct

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:58 am

minstrel wrote:It's possible to be intelligent and still just dick around. The first statement doesn't say that Nolan is just posing as an intellectual; he IS an intellectual, but he isn't really saying much. The main point is that Kubrick had a point, and Nolan basically just wears a classy suit.

Okay, I guess I somewhat misunderstood what you were saying at first. You feel Nolan is maybe smarter than a lot of his movies.

Al Shut wrote:I see Nolan more on a bumpy ride than a downward slide, one or two bad movies away from calling for a Shyamalan comparison.

I agree with Al Shut. Warner Bros isn't done repaying Nolan for the money his Batman movies made them, so despite a lukewarm reception to INTERSTELLAR, they'll probably bankroll him another two shots at making whatever he feels like doing. Maybe one of those movies will reach LADY IN THE WATER levels of misguided judgement and completely discredit Nolan, but I doubt it.

At this point, Nolan is actually more consistent than Ridley Scott ever was, but I'd generally expect them to have similiar careers of ups and down.

Ribbons wrote:Right now I think the most likely candidate for the mantle of "New M. Night Shyamalan" is Neill Blomkamp

You could probably also throw the Wachowskis on that pile. I think most people forget about BOUND completely, think THE MATRIX was awesome, and then think everything since that first MATRIX movie has been shit. But I liked everything they did (to some degree) up until JUPITER ASCENDING.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:36 am

I don't think you will ever have to worry about Nolan killing a film critic in one of his films.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:54 am

how about casting himself as the messiah?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:34 pm

He cast himself as Leonardo DiCaprio, does that count?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to Director Discussion