The Venture Brothers: The Best Half-Hour On TV

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

The Venture Brothers: The Best Half-Hour On TV

Postby Coldfire24 on Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:55 am

I dare say I like this show more than Family Guy. Share your thoughts, ideas, or just plain geek love to this show.
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:14 am

Considering Venture Bros. is the first show I have ever seen in my life where just thinking about it causes me to break out in laughter, I would concur.

Images from every episode are etched in my brain for all eternity now, but the single best moment for me is cutting to those to Monarch Henchmen arguing about the genus of Smurfs right before Brock lays some violence on them.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Pissed-Off Crawdad on Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Great show. South Park is still my favorite half-hour of animation, though.
Pissed-Off Crawdad
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby PVIII on Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:51 am

Aqua Teen is my favorite 15 minutes. South Park and Family Guy are tied for 30, but I have yet to see Venture Bros. How's that Robot Chicken Show btw?

PVIII
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:08 am

Robot Chicken is one note. I found it dulle after episode one.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby The Ginger Man on Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:48 am

The 1st episode of Robot Chicken was pretty funny (kid being checked into a urinal by a hockey player). After that, it was more miss than hit.

But the Empire Strikes Back sketch was fantastic. It's Vader and Luke (w/ Hamill coming back to reprise his role) at the end of the film. It starts normally, Vader: "I am your father." Luke: "No! That's impossible."

Vader: And Princess Leia is your sister. Luke: No! That's....improbable?

Then Vader just keeps going. "And Ewoks will bring down the Empire. And the force is really just intelligent bacteria in your blood. And I built C3PO."

At which point, Luke walks out on Vader, saying "When you're ready to be serious, give me a call."
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Re: Venture Bros. Possibly the Best half hour on TV

Postby The Garbage Man on Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:07 pm

Coldfire24 wrote:I dare say I like this show more than Family Guy. Share your thoughts, ideas, or just plain geek love to this show.

Wholeheartedly agreed. The only show for which I have bought a t-shirt, and the express purpose for that was to proclaim my undying love for its glorious hilarity. Also the only show I've actively tried to get everyone I know to watch with me at some point or another.

Let alone the fact that it's hilarious, they also throw in so many great geek references that I find it impossible to resist. Plus, how can you not love Jackson Publick for working on The Tick?
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby unikrunk on Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:39 pm

Bump

This show is friggin geek gold. Where are the new episodes? What is happening here? Does anyone have any info?

Favorite episode is the one where Race Bannon gets taken out while parachuting. I almost passed out from laughing so hard. Then the episode goes on to imply that Race and Dr. Quest were ‘life partners’. Sweet Lord of Hosts, please give me more VB!
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:05 pm

I have loved it since the first episode featuring the techno-fetish ninja at the UN.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MadCapsule on Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:20 pm

I believe new episodes start in June.

The Venture Bros., Stroker & Hoop, and The Boondocks are probably my favorite shows on Adult Swim.

I also have a soft spot for Perfect Hair Forever and Squidbillies.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby unikrunk on Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:27 pm

New eps in June = smiley

12oz mouse is good, and I like me some Aqua Teens (to a point). Master Shake rules.

I live about three blocks from Williams St., so I get to see some pretty great local promotional stuff for Adult Swim.

BTW, I would give up my cushy office gig to be a coffee runner @ Williams St.

/Just putting it out there if anyone with the power to make this happen is listening.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Venture Bros. Possibly the Best half hour on TV

Postby raasnio on Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:22 pm

Coldfire24 wrote:I dare say I like this show more than Family Guy. Share your thoughts, ideas, or just plain geek love to this show.

Oh yeah, it's definitely better than Family Guy.

Now that you bring it up, I'll have to remember to get Season 1 on DVD (May 30, 2006). I'm hardly ever able to watch it, but I have seen 5 episodes or so and every one was amazing.

It's crazy, but there are more animated shows I love than live action.

South Park
Venture Bros.
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Sealab 2021
Futurama
Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby rebel299 on Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:05 am

Thats a homeboy. But be careful. That houses the souls of two foulmouthed rednecks!

I can watch every episode of that show anytime. So much better than a lot of the new drivel that Adult Swim tries to put on the air lately.
rebel299
GLIB

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:18 am

I love Venture Brothers, but can't find it easily in the UK without satellite. I downloaded torrents for it back in the day, but now it's harder to find. When the inevitable DVD comes out, I'm there!

The two scenes stuck in my head are two feckless henchmen being killed by Brock's ass and the Starman riff in the first ep.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Garbage Man on Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:12 am

Season 1 was released yesterday, and hoo-fuckin'-ra:

Season 2 starts June 25th.

The Venture Bros.: Open the door to Danger and his studly friend Excitement.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:14 am

I love me some Venture Bros.

I was a little skeptical at first...but this show is quickly becoming one of my favorites.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Coldfire24 on Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:15 am

If we lived close to each other...I would invite you over for a venture bros. spend the night party.
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:18 am

Coldfire24 wrote:If we lived close to each other...I would invite you over for a venture bros. spend the night party.

I would so be there.

You're in college right? Where do you go?

I'm at DePaul University in Chicago right now.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Coldfire24 on Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:19 am

Mississippi State....damn an allnighter venture bros party sounds Awesome! I'm going to do it and take pictures at school. your welcome to come of course...
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:22 am

One night we'll have to have a Drunken Zoner Meet-Up + Venture Bros. party in the Zone.

All are welcome.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Coldfire24 on Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:22 am

Holy shit is there like a chat room where we can play video and all be in it watching the same video and chatting cause if not I should get a patent.
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:24 am

Coldfire24 wrote:Holy shit is there like a chat room where we can play video and all be in it watching the same video and chatting cause if not I should get a patent.

I think you might be onto something.

Fuck Myspace...the real cash cow is right here!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Coldfire24 on Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:25 am

i'm serious there is nothing that can do that cause i'm thinking that would be good for power companies and geeks alike...
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:27 am

Coldfire24 wrote:i'm serious there is nothing that can do that cause i'm thinking that would be good for power companies and geeks alike...

You could be the new Tom!

I love myspace jokes.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Garbage Man on Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:28 am

I'm so there, if you know what I mean :wink:

Oh wait, wrong thread.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Coldfire24 on Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:29 am

Man ok next time there is a big zone meet up someone bring venture bros....
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:37 pm

words utterly fail to describe the infernal pleasures I derived from what has quickly become my favoritest 22and1/2minutes of utter insanity on the boob toob.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:39 pm

Coldfire24 wrote:Man ok next time there is a big zone meet up someone bring venture bros....

Ok I will but when are you coming to Austin?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby The Garbage Man on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:44 pm

Everyone needs to just come to Comic Con. You can sleep on the floor of my room or in my car or something.

C'mon, I'm poor and I'm going!
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Kilgore on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:55 pm

I dare say, I never knew there was a Venture Brothers thread, but I have long felt this is the best thing Adult Swim has ever put out. More people should be watching this...

New season starts soon...apparently the long delay in new shows is due to the fact that it's the only program Adult Swim does that is traditionally animated, and not reliant on computer animation to any degree. Plus, I believe the creator is a vet from The Tick.

Long live Dr. Girlfriend!
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby unikrunk on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:55 pm

I am picking this DVD tonight! Holy God, I fucking love this show - favorite episode right now is Ghosts of the Sargasso

"Tell my wife...I...Love Her"

"She Knows! Can you hear me, Major Tom?"

Also, if you have seen this preview for what is essentially a send-up of Thundarr The Barbarian, you will also have soiled yourself:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RTlYhSZbb5U&search=barbarian

Korgoth of Barbaria, Adult Swim’s second dip into action animation is set in a dark future wasteland where the cities have fallen, primordial beasts have reclaimed the globe, and thieves and savages populate sparse, dirty towns. Korgoth emerges from the frozen North, and his merciless savagery may be his only key to survival. Korgoth of Barbaria is an animated fantasy-action-adventure-comedy from Aaron Springer. The half-hour pilot episode will air in September.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:10 pm

Kilgore wrote:apparently the long delay in new shows is due to the fact that it's the only program Adult Swim does that is traditionally animated

I doubt that highly considering NoodleSoup does a great deal of Flash based stuff online. No one hand paints cells anymore.

As for Korgoth I have been looking forward to that for a while. A Conan/Thundarr send up looks hilarious.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Garbage Man on Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:09 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
Kilgore wrote:apparently the long delay in new shows is due to the fact that it's the only program Adult Swim does that is traditionally animated

I doubt that highly considering NoodleSoup does a great deal of Flash based stuff online. No one hand paints cells anymore.

That's where you're wrong. According to Jackson Publick himself, Venture Bros. is traditional animation done overseas, and they've lobbied hard to keep it that way. The show itself is produced by Jackson Publick and Doc Hammer's company, Astrobase Go!. It's not Flash, nor will it (hopefully) ever be.

Publick's blog is chock full of creamy behind-the-scenes goodness and I'd suggest checking it out if you're in any way interested in the show.

Kilgore wrote:Plus, I believe the creator is a vet from The Tick.

I dare say you're correct. From earlier in the thread:

The Garbage Man wrote:Let alone the fact that it's hilarious, they also throw in so many great geek references that I find it impossible to resist. Plus, how can you not love Jackson Publick for working on The Tick?
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:27 pm

Odd I could swear the first episode smacks of Flash...perhaps it was the pilot. What about The Boondocks? I don't think VB is the only traditional nonFlash show on AS. None the less it is great and I am glad to be wrong.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MadCapsule on Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:51 pm

Anyone else notice the Bill Seinkeiwicz artwork on the inside of the Season 1 set? Brilliant!
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby The Garbage Man on Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:34 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Odd I could swear the first episode smacks of Flash...perhaps it was the pilot. What about The Boondocks? I don't think VB is the only traditional nonFlash show on AS. None the less it is great and I am glad to be wrong.

The first episode may have been Flash, it's been a very long time since I've seen it and I know that by their own admission they did it quickly and weren't very happy with it.
I think The Boondocks is traditional, too. It's by some of the same guys who made Samurai Champloo, right? Those are the only 2 AS originals that I can think of.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:37 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:Odd I could swear the first episode smacks of Flash...perhaps it was the pilot. What about The Boondocks? I don't think VB is the only traditional nonFlash show on AS. None the less it is great and I am glad to be wrong.

The first episode may have been Flash, it's been a very long time since I've seen it and I know that by their own admission they did it quickly and weren't very happy with it.
I think The Boondocks is traditional, too. It's by some of the same guys who made Samurai Champloo, right? Those are the only 2 AS originals that I can think of.

I think it is traditional because the reason they kept having to push back the premier date is because of the animation. The delay is also why the topical stuff isn't all that topical.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Hollywood_Bob on Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:41 am

OK...I just scored the DVD....and am pushing the play.
"The only way to rid yourself of tempation...is to yeild to it." Oscar Wilde

Hollywood_Bob
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby buster00 on Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:30 am

unikrunk wrote:I am picking this DVD tonight! Holy God, I fucking love this show - favorite episode right now is Ghosts of the Sargasso

"Tell my wife...I...Love Her"

"She Knows! Can you hear me, Major Tom?"

Also, if you have seen this preview for what is essentially a send-up of Thundarr The Barbarian, you will also have soiled yourself:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RTlYhSZbb5U&search=barbarian

Korgoth of Barbaria, Adult Swim’s second dip into action animation is set in a dark future wasteland where the cities have fallen, primordial beasts have reclaimed the globe, and thieves and savages populate sparse, dirty towns. Korgoth emerges from the frozen North, and his merciless savagery may be his only key to survival. Korgoth of Barbaria is an animated fantasy-action-adventure-comedy from Aaron Springer. The half-hour pilot episode will air in September.

Holy Shit, I'm there. I'm SO fuckin' there.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:00 am

@baxter

there for Korgoth, the Venture Bros. DVD, or both?
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:27 am

unikrunk wrote:@baxter

Uh...did you mean me? The Baxter hasn't posted in here yet...

I was talkin' about the "Korgoth" promo.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:08 am

buster00 wrote:
unikrunk wrote:@baxter

Uh...did you mean me? The Baxter hasn't posted in here yet...

I was talkin' about the "Korgoth" promo.

yes, I was talking to you :oops:
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Hollywood_Bob on Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:28 pm

OK so I Bought watched and finished the Venture Bros, last night for the first time...I am sitting here in my office now still laughing aat the images and quotes from the series...freakin' killing me...lol

Hollywood_Bob
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Bean on Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:31 pm

I have the DVD in my hands, goin over to my cousin's soon to watch it. I LOVE THIS SHOW!
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Lurker Johnson on Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:53 pm

unikrunk wrote:Korgoth of Barbaria, Adult Swim’s second dip into action animation is set in a dark future wasteland where the cities have fallen, primordial beasts have reclaimed the globe, and thieves and savages populate sparse, dirty towns. Korgoth emerges from the frozen North, and his merciless savagery may be his only key to survival. Korgoth of Barbaria is an animated fantasy-action-adventure-comedy from Aaron Springer. The half-hour pilot episode will air in September.

This looks promising. Adult Swim has another winnah! Venture Bros is pretty damn funny. I liked the episode where Dr. Venture has the yard sale and all of his nemesii (is that even a word?) show up to purchase his unwanted technology. First-rate belley laughter abounds with this show.
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:04 pm

Some of my fav quotes...

Brock: (to UN guard after killing an alligator with his knife.) Go on....Take it from me...

Dr. Venture: So you see, by applying the basic principles of the scientific method to the matter, we learn very quickly that the myth of the chupacabra is just that - utter crap. Now, if you apply the same principles to Catholicism, an interesting thing occurs...

Henchman 1: Here is where you are wrong, my friend. This woman has killed before.
Henchman 2: Allegedly.
Henchman 1: Okay, whatever. But she was a big girl. We are talking about a large, healthy woman of questionable stability.
Henchman 2: Oh, you are totally underestimating the never-say-die scrappiness of a survivor.
The Monarch: Hey, guess what? Nobody cares who would win in a crazy fantasy fist-fight between Anne Frank and Lizzie Borden. We never should have brought the henchmen. We're going to be the only ones there with henchmen!

Henchman 2: Come on! They have one female servicing a large group of males. That implies a species that lays eggs.
Henchman 1: Oh my God, you're crazy! They're so obviously mammals!
Henchman 2: Please! She'd be in estrus 24/7 if she didn't lay eggs.
Henchman 1: Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:04 pm

Kilgore wrote:
New season starts soon...apparently the long delay in new shows is due to the fact that it's the only program Adult Swim does that is traditionally animated, and not reliant on computer animation to any degree. Plus, I believe the creator is a vet from The Tick.

Long live Dr. Girlfriend!

Hurrmmm...didn't know that bit about how "Venture" is the only fully traditional-animation show on AS. Fascinating.

And yeah, "Venture" creators Jackson Publick and Doc Hammer were indeed two of the main writers for the "Tick" cartoon (Publick also wrote for the live-action series). In fact, Hammer was roomies with "Tick" creator Ben Edlund at the Museum School of Fine Arts in Boston. He met Edlund through...wait for it...Jackson Publick.

"Venture Brothers" = Another one of the only things worth turning the TV on for.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Garbage Man on Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:22 pm

And Edlund also works for the show.

It's like a giant geeky circle jerk of hilarity!
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby raasnio on Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:56 pm

I stopped by Best Buy today to see if they had the Venture Bros. on sale. Not only was it not on sale, but it wasn't for sale at all.

It's on the BB site, why not in the store? Anyone else have this problem?
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Hollywood_Bob on Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:59 pm

I bought mine at Target last night...I do know that not all BB stores carry the same merchandise so that is what you may have run into

Hollywood_Bob
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Next

Return to Animation