The Venture Brothers: The Best Half-Hour On TV

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Re: The Venture Brothers: The Best Half-Hour On TV

Postby buster00 on Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:38 pm

Vegeta wrote:Have been getting into the Venture Bros. just recently. Very twisted and hysterical in a quirky way. Like a more adult version of the Tick.

Jackson Publick, the Venture Brothers creator, was one of the main writers on The Tick. Furthermore, Tick creator Ben Edlund has done some writing for Venture Brothers.

And that's...

buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:27 pm

Aw shit, what a great episode! But the death of #24 was a real shocker for me. :( Can't wait for the next season!
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby King Psyz on Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:25 pm

SPOILER MUCH!
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:28 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:Aw shit, what a great episode! But the death of #24 was a real shocker for me. :( Can't wait for the next season!

NOT JUST THAT, but what about Molitav' and Hunters' team up!!!!!!!!!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:13 am

King Psyz wrote:SPOILER MUCH!

Hey, it was already on TV, which means that you can't complain if you read spoliers somewhere. :D

BTW, I still stand by my opinion that the creators should send the last two episodes to the Emmy jury! Yes, they will probably be disgusted by all that cartoon violence ("The Cleaner") but I will be damned if this wasn't some fucking good television! NOT just "fucking good for a cartoon" or "fucking good for an Adult Swim show", I mean "fucking good television. Period."
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby hackett on Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:32 am

this was great... not sure what happens next...
http://vimeo.com/pandachase - now in technicolor
hackett
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Citizenkade on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:52 am

I'm just now getting caught up on season three off of iTunes, so far, I think it's my favorite! I could watch a show that was just Dr. Killinger talking and be entertained, though.
Citizenkade
GLIB

Postby hackett on Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:28 am

man, you just inspired for me to watch that episode again.
http://vimeo.com/pandachase - now in technicolor
hackett
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby whatakrok on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:43 am

The Venture Brothers is easily the funniest 1/2 hr on TV. The Trial of the Monarch is my still favorite episode. How is ti that Brock (Patrick Warburton) doesn't get more work? He's like Bruce Campbell ...insanely funny but not very busy. Doesn't make sense. BTW did anyone see Bruce in Bubba Hotep? Rent it ...it's hilarious.
whatakrok
GLIB

Postby tapehead on Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:16 pm

Onion AV interview with Jackson Public - Season Four is Coming!Season Three BluRay is Uncensored!(So I guess we get to see Sgt Hatred's and Sampson's Junk) 24 is dead definitely and truly , for keeps!
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:55 am

Toon Zone interviews Doc Hammer and James Urbaniak
Light on real spoilers and not really revealing, but we fans are happy about every single bit of Venture Bros stuff,
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby tapehead on Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:23 pm

'Im you from the future! We have to finish our TIme Machine before the angels of destruction find the portal!'

SEASON FOUR TRAILER.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby tapehead on Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:23 pm

Season Four Premieres October 18th - New Trailer on link which goes to Jackson Publick's blog.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Bloo on Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:55 pm

counting down...
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:51 pm

I really liked 4.01, except for the lame Indiana Jones joke right at the beginning. (Although I kinda liked the payoff line: "I got face all over me.") But I said it before and I will say it again: The Venture Bros always makes me cringe when they start to throw in popculture jokes. It's just lame and has no class. And it's even more painful, because the rest of the show is so fucking good!
And believe me, I really wanna know what happens next.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Bloo on Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:06 pm

It wasn't a horrible pop culture reference because it's from Raiders which is a classic and what a great way for Nazi's to die

but yeah it was a great set up to what should be a good season
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby tapehead on Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:35 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote: The Venture Bros always makes me cringe when they start to throw in popculture jokes.

Nobody mention The Adventures of Jonny Quest to DerLanghaarige!
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:43 pm

tapehead wrote:Nobody mention The Adventures of Jonny Quest to DerLanghaarige!

Too late. But this show became more than just a Jonny Quest spoof a while ago.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:34 am

I have to totally disagree with you on the pop culture references. I think that they are a great part of the show. In fact, it's like a breath of fresh air sometimes when the show is so far up it's own ass.

But the reason they are effective is because they are usually pretty subtle. They aren't played in a heavy handed way (a la Family Guy or the Simpsons). I bet about only 60% of the audience even caught the Raiders allusion. That was pretty clever, I thought. And if they didn't get it, then it was still a cool way for the Nazi's to die. And if they did, it's like a touch of added humor. Great execution, in my opinion.

Great show. Can't wait to see what happens next.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Bloo on Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:38 am

and usually the pop culture references serve a purpose they just aren't there for the purpose of being there

nad how many people remember the 6 Million Dollar man episode where Steve austin goes after bigfoot and yet that has played a part in what 2, 3 episodes?
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby tapehead on Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:05 am

DerLanghaarige wrote:
tapehead wrote:Nobody mention The Adventures of Jonny Quest to DerLanghaarige!

Too late. But this show became more than just a Jonny Quest spoof a while ago.

I prefer to think that whatever else it is, it will always be a brilliant satire of comic-logic and lore and boys-own adventure because of it's twisted take on Jonny Quest. Also, every ep is knee deep with pop-culture references; it's essential to the show's appeal, IMO.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:52 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:I have to totally disagree with you on the pop culture references. I think that they are a great part of the show. In fact, it's like a breath of fresh air sometimes when the show is so far up it's own ass.

In my opinion it's the popculture references that put the show up its own ass in the first place. Without the surprisingly complex and griping story that unfolded since the end of season 1 and the high hit ratio of the not-popculture-related jokes, I wouldn't even bother with watching every single episode.

But the reason they are effective is because they are usually pretty subtle. They aren't played in a heavy handed way (a la Family Guy or the Simpsons).

The Simpsons are still the masters of subtile popculture references. More than once I didn't notice when they did one, before they explained it in the audio commentary.(Of course that doesn't mean that The Simpsons doesn't rub them in your face from time to time.)

I bet about only 60% of the audience even caught the Raiders allusion. That was pretty clever, I thought. And if they didn't get it, then it was still a cool way for the Nazi's to die. And if they did, it's like a touch of added humor. Great execution, in my opinion.

The melting Nazis were one of the most memorable death scenes in one of the most memorable movies ever. So I'm pretty sure that there a way more than 60% (I say 95%) who got it. And it's as clever and subtile as making a bullet time shot when someone starts a jump kick, like in the millions of cartoons and movies who did during the last 10 years, just becuse they thought it was clever or funny to copy an iconic scene from an iconic movie.

Bloo wrote:and usually the pop culture references serve a purpose they just aren't there for the purpose of being there

Yes, there is a good reason why Dr. Impossible and his team look like the Fantastic Four. It's...oh, wait a moment. There isn't. It adds nothing to the story, except for the fact that the audience can point at the screen and yell: "Haha, this is like the fantastic four!" At least there was a good reason why the Scooby Doo characters are in one episode. It was because...no, sorry, they were just there to make the audience point at the screen and yell: "Haha, it's the Mystery Inc. only as adults and acting like famous serial killers."

nad how many people remember the 6 Million Dollar man episode where Steve austin goes after bigfoot and yet that has played a part in what 2, 3 episodes?

It's pretty much the most popular (and often parodied) episode of the 6 Million Dollar Man! And so far there wasn't an important reason why these two had to be there, apart from being a simple popculture joke.

tapehead wrote:I prefer to think that whatever else it is, it will always be a brilliant satire of comic-logic and lore and boys-own adventure because of it's twisted take on Jonny Quest.

It is without a doubt and that's the concept of it and I not just learned to accept it, the creators somehow managed to get the maximum out of that premise. However, I just can't stand it when they dumb their own show down by throwing in simple popculture jokes. It's lazy and feels to me like I would switch the channel in the middle of Breaking Bad, just to watch a few seconds of Robot Chicken. Maybe I'm spoiled, but if you wanna make me laugh with mentioning and making fun of movies, TV shows and comic books, you have to do more than just go: "Look, it's ________________!"
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:16 am

It's been such a long time since I saw the last season finale that I couldn't remember what was going on at the start. So I had to rewatch the finale, then go back to this new episode.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:35 pm

I was heavily amused by episode 4x02. You should think that a joke about a pedophile superhero would get old very quick, but it turned out that some people can seriously stretch it out to around 25 minutes, without making it boring. :D
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:14 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:I was heavily amused by episode 4x02. You should think that a joke about a pedophile superhero would get old very quick, but it turned out that some people can seriously stretch it out to around 25 minutes, without making it boring. :D

A lot of that should be added to the fantatic work of KEVIN CONROY...AKA...BATMAN!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:35 pm

That episode was rather good.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:02 am

Last nights ep with the Survived Abortion Dean had me rolling! I love the character progression that Hammer and Publick are making with the show. The Monarch, while still botching shit, seems to have finally developed a true villain edge to him self.

Hank Rebelling after Brock takes off, and Dean following in his fathers footsteps to a failed life of Super Science! (His Dark side of the moon side 2 coma was brilliant) ITs all FANTASTIC!

Even Sgt Hatred has really become a beloved character! I love the idea that a boy hungry pedophile is now bodyguard to the Ventures! ITs just..brilliant!
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:53 am

Another very funny episode, although I got my problems with the aborted Dean. The whole story had a "Treehouse Of Horror" feel, which is of course not necessarily bad, but y'know, there is this "evil twin", who lived all these years hidden in the same house with everybody else, but we not just saw him in this episode for the first, but also for the last time.
Anyway, it was a hilarious episode and I can't wait till next week.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:10 pm

Did I mention how much I love that show and all the characters in it? While Episode 4.04 didn't have any really big laughs (at least for me), it kept me constantly smiling and ended with one hell of a cliffhanger after the credits.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:19 am

Ep 4.05 was so far the weakest this season, but it was nice to see what happened to Phantom Limb and I love how the characters develope more and more. Seriously, this show is way too good for Adult Swim!
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:27 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:Ep 4.05 was so far the weakest this season

Okay, 4.06 was weaker. Although i somehow enjoyed the chemistry between all the boy adventurers, nothing really interesting happened.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:41 am

But now he no longer has an out Muhahahahahahahhahaha
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:09 am

Anyone catch the Monarch directly reference Aintitcool on the last episode? I thought that was kinda cool. If he would have mentioned the Zone, I would have flipped.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Bloo on Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:59 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:Anyone catch the Monarch directly reference Aintitcool on the last episode? I thought that was kinda cool. If he would have mentioned the Zone, I would have flipped.

yeah I caught that it was awesome, I probably would have peed my pants if the Zone had gotten a mention
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:54 am

Well, to be honest, I don't think it was THAT awesome. If you try to reference a geek website in your script, you just have to pick AICN, even if you have never been on it. I hate to say it, but Apatow telling the world about DannyGloversDickBlood on Conan was much cooler, because he made a specific reference instead of just saying "It was on Aintitcool".
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:06 am

Was this in the Boy Adventurers group therapy episode?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:47 am

Yes, in the scene after the credits.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:07 pm

Episode 1x07 was pure enjoyment. I just love Dr. Orpheus and together with the triad he's even funnier. It was also nice to see a little bit domestic backstory and the beginning of a possible Triana-centric story arc.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:48 am

DerLanghaarige wrote:Episode 1x07 was pure enjoyment. I just love Dr. Orpheus and together with the triad he's even funnier. It was also nice to see a little bit domestic backstory and the beginning of a possible Triana-centric story arc.

Agreed.. I'm really digging how they're expanding the cast and having them, well, Grow as characters.. Dean and Triana closing that door of forbidden love.. Hank kinda getting the idea that they're lame but trying to do something about it. And anything with Dr Orpheus is spot on!

Sad to see it end next week
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:22 am

I re-watched the first two seasons over the last few days. This show is all kinds of awesome (Well, maybe except for "The Incredible Mr. Brisby" and "Viva Los Muertos", which are without a doubt the two worst episodes of the show. Especially "Muertos", which is even for Adult Swim standards too painful to watch.)
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:33 pm

These new episodes are missing something. Can't quite figure what it is.

Perhaps a slight lack of structure (things just sort of tail off a bit) or perhaps not enough Brock.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bloo on Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:36 pm

man these 8 episodes just seemed to fly by
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:29 pm

Fried Gold wrote:These new episodes are missing something. Can't quite figure what it is.

Perhaps a slight lack of structure (things just sort of tail off a bit) or perhaps not enough Brock.

I don't know, I like Season 4 so far. It's all about growing up this year and it makes me wonder where this is all heading to. To be honest, I'm scared that Public & Hammer are trying to put this show to an end. Have you heard anything about a 5th season yet?* I didn't!

*I mean a REAL 5th season. Not the second half of Season 4 that is about to air somewhere next year.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:26 pm

Okay, I gotta admit that episode 4.08 didn't really work on a story level. For some reason none of the storylines really payed off, especially not the one about The Monarch getting double crossed. But apart from that it was packed with enjoyable moments. #21 shined alot in this episode. I loved that they came back to his crush on Dr Mrs The Monarch. I was seriously worried that he got over it when he became the geekiest badass ever. And I laughed very hard and long at the return of Speedy! It's also good to know that even Dr Mrs The Monarch seems to get sick of the moppets.
But one thing really distracted me: Am I the only one who thinks that Brock looked kinda weird? I don't know what it was exactly, but I think they changed something with his eyes.
So when will we see the 2nd half if this season? Spring? Oh fuck NO!
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:26 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:Okay, I gotta admit that episode 4.08 didn't really work on a story level. For some reason none of the storylines really payed off, especially not the one about The Monarch getting double crossed. But apart from that it was packed with enjoyable moments. #21 shined alot in this episode. I loved that they came back to his crush on Dr Mrs The Monarch. I was seriously worried that he got over it when he became the geekiest badass ever. And I laughed very hard and long at the return of Speedy! It's also good to know that even Dr Mrs The Monarch seems to get sick of the moppets.
But one thing really distracted me: Am I the only one who thinks that Brock looked kinda weird? I don't know what it was exactly, but I think they changed something with his eyes.
So when will we see the 2nd half if this season? Spring? Oh fuck NO!

He had bags under his eyes.. like he had not been sleeping well.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:00 am

What a cliffhanger ending too!!! I want to know what happens. But it was great to see Brock back and playing a more prominent role.

I thought that was the best episode of the season, probably.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Bloo on Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:07 am

yeah I thought it was a pretty good episode and a heck of a good cliffhanger

I liked the Monarch double cross because that's the sort of stuff that it seems The Guild does and the Manarc is always kind of bucking the guild
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:16 pm

Interview with Jackson Public. A nice read for fans.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Pacino86845 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:00 pm

I have watched none of season 4 so far, but apparently the show has gone on hiatus 'til August?!

So for that reason I will just wait 'til DVD, because I know I will watch it more than once and gosh darn it these fellas have earned my dollars!

I recently rewatched seasons 1-3, what an awesome and hilarious show.

IGNORE ME!!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:05 pm

Even though I love Venture Bros., I still feel that they've never topped the pilot episode.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

PreviousNext

Return to Animation