The Venture Brothers: The Best Half-Hour On TV

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Postby papalazeru on Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:43 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
papalazeru wrote:J ust witnesseed Series 2 episode 2. Am going back to watch the rest.
Has a hell of a lot of promise as a geek comedy show.

what's really neat is that for a seemingly non-sequitor filled, popculture referencing cartoon, they pay a lot of attention to continuity, to giving the season an arc. As the Garbage Man said, Publick and Hammer didn't really intend for things to go that way, but sometimes fiction takes on a life of it's own.

And as Locke said above, while it took him about 5 episodes from season 1 to get really into it (I was hooked from the get-go), it pays off big time.

So start at the beginning Papa, a lot of the self-referential jokes that you might've missed jumping in at season 2 will be explained.

And glad to have you on board as well.

GO TEAM VENTURE!

Have all intention of continuing. Will watch the beginning.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:22 pm

Kilgore wrote:For the record, I kinda like that Brock's mullet is gone this season, it's a good change of pace - now he has a blonde Lee Majors/Robert Urich as Dan Tanna style going. Hopefully for season three he'll go with a 'stache and feather the hair, ala Lee Horsely as Matt Houston.

Brock Samson and Feathered hair should not be in the same sentence. He is too manly to even contemplate taking more than 15 seconds to do his hair. A moustache would look cool though
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby John-Locke on Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:16 pm

This episode may have been my favourite yet, I swear this show just gets better and better.

Cocktease is indeed a cocktease, she may be animated but I'd fuck her. :)

Rusty trying it on and getting his ass handed to him, Brock being a badass and a nanny (checking for headlice was hilarious), Dean getting stabbed in the foot and the blood splurting, Hank dressed in Cobra Kai. I could go on. Great epidode.

I feel like rewatching every episode now, there really arent many things I like to do that with.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:09 pm

Classic stuff. I love the Chinatown bit.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Garbage Man on Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:07 am

"My pants are haunted!"

Another great episode. This show actually makes me look forward to Sundays.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Venture Bros. Possibly the Best half hour on TV

Postby bastard_robo on Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:11 am

What the fuck is going on with the fix, i keep going to it and its updated one minute, the next its not!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Bean on Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:01 pm

Guess what the title for tonight's episode is!

Can't wait :lol:
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:00 pm

nice! Mummies are sweet ::stoner chuckle::
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:00 pm

Bean wrote:Image

so fucking funny I watched it, then immediately re-watched it.

There are 3 sequences in the ep. that are among the funniest things I've ever seen from this show, and that's saying a lot.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:36 pm

Saw my first ep last night, and although I'm familiar with some of Christopher McCulloch's other work, and spent my fair share of time in the Aqua Team/Space Ghost/Sealab 2021 Adult Swim arena, this seems like something special - so all of you shift over, there's got to be a little room left on this bandwagon to jump on
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Re: Venture Bros. Possibly the Best half hour on TV

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:28 pm

bastard_robo wrote:What the fuck is going on with the fix, i keep going to it and its updated one minute, the next its not!

yeah, after I watched it the first time, inexplicably the next menu reverted to last weeks menu, with Assassinanny as the listed episode.

it still played the new one though, and as a bonus, that obnoxious Honda advert was thankfully omitted.

tapehead, 'bout damn time!

I go back to SGC2C, loved Aqua Teen, Birdman, Sealab, but I think Venture is the best of the bunch.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:49 am

"I taste my own genitals in my mouth. It's a conundrum."

LOL
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:01 am

I always wanted to put Poe in a headlock. That thing's like a pumpkin.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:49 pm

Good lord, every time I think they can't get any better, I am proven wrong; this episode was puerile genius on at least 3 levels.

The absurdist nature of the show was taken, to the limit, one more ti-i-i-ime.

Fave part (I think, it was all so good) was the shrinking of "Boy Genius" Master Billy Quizboy's lungs, and the ensuing fart joke.

As I said, puerile genius.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby raasnio on Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:29 pm

unikrunk wrote:Good lord, every time I think they can't get any better, I am proven wrong; this episode was puerile genius on at least 3 levels.

The absurdist nature of the show was taken, to the limit, one more ti-i-i-ime.

Fave part (I think, it was all so good) was the shrinking of "Boy Genius" Master Billy Quizboy's lungs, and the ensuing fart joke.

As I said, puerile genius.

Unfortunately for me I only started watching halfway through.

Fortunately I caught the shrink ray gun fun. It was hysterical. I've said it before, maybe in this thread, but I'll say it again: The Venture Bros are the best thing ever on Adult Swim.
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby unikrunk on Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:46 pm

@raasnio - seconded, shit, I would go as far as to say the best thing on TV today.

/but I am drunk, so...yeah
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:10 pm

Just watched it, LMAO.

Can't pick a favourite bit or gag but I know that seeing the look on Deans decapitated head atop of the Mummy made me smile.

Helper was back too, YAY!
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:32 am

IGNORE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUCKING BEST EP YET!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:15 pm

IGNORE ME!!!
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby raasnio on Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:47 pm

I loved it.

When the taxi rolled up I just about lost it. The whole Contact bit was great as well.
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby The Garbage Man on Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:01 am

My favorite episode of the new season.

Between The Grand Inquisitor, the return of the Impossible family, the return of the Ghost Pirate Captain (he and J.J. need their own spin-off!), Jonny Quest, etc. there was just so much to love.

IGNORE ME!
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Bean on Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:03 am

I'm STILL laughing about it, I'm watching it again because it is so fucking funny!!
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:57 am

[quote="Herc"]The hilarious “The Venture Bros.,â€
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bean on Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:48 pm

My signature isn't changing until I get a ORDER OF THE PHOENIX shot, the Galactic Grand Inquisitor demands it!
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby The Garbage Man on Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:32 am

Awesome. Just awesome.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby The Garbage Man on Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:14 pm

Suicide Girls has an interview with Venture Bros. creator Jackson Publick in which he talks about the shows origins, among other things.

Possibly NSFW! It's just an interview, but it is at Suicide Girls and there are less-than-work-safe banners about.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby zombieslayer on Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:35 am

when do the new episodes actually go up on fix? should I be up till midnight?
zombieslayer
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Tuffy on Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:07 am

Hi all, new here and psyched to see people like this show. I just started watching last week because I liked this Dr Girlfriend costume from Comic-con. I've since tracked down all the first season eps, so I'm dandy.

raasnio wrote:Fortunately I caught the shrink ray gun fun. It was hysterical. I've said it before, maybe in this thread, but I'll say it again: The Venture Bros are the best thing ever on Adult Swim.

Yeah, second that. It's got the best writing certainly.
Tuffy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:57 pm

"Real name. And I am into costume business, not costume play."

The Phantom Limb origin stories, junk wailing, dabbing, henching, nudity, how to acquire arch nemesis enmity.

Hank, Dean, and the henchmen, the most endearing dorks on TV.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:56 pm

Mess wit ze girl and you get ze Hitler!!!
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Kilgore on Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:52 am

'I am the Bat'
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:18 pm

"Wow. A girl President! How progressive..."

"And a Hitler! Boy things are really looking up."
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tuffy on Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:08 pm

So I introduced my friend to the show last week with the episode Midlife Chrysalis. When it ended he just went "yeah, pretty funny..." in this kind of pained way like, "eh, not that funny, please don't pester me about it." But THEN we happened to watch the latest episode and he LOVED it!

How weird is that? I thought Midlife Chrysalis was a great episode. It had Brock's license to kill, Dr. Girlfriend, and the Doc turning into a caterpillar. But maybe my friend liked it that they were actually *on* an adventure in the Underbheit episode, instead of at home, so the Jonny Quest send-up was more evident. Or maybe it was just funnier, I dunno.
Tuffy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Tuffy on Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:08 pm

also: smoking kitty eyepatch
Tuffy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby John-Locke on Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:17 pm

Brock telling the guard he found a lump was classic.

Another great episode.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby raasnio on Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:33 pm

What can I say? The lump, the smoking kitty and the female Hitler all combined to make this another great episode.

This show has consistency! :D
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby jussed on Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:49 pm

Hank: The Wallflower! So we meet again!
Reistance 1: Wha?
Brock: The Wallflower had that thing on his head.
Dr. Venture: Lamest. Villain. Ever.

This short part absolutely killed me for some reason.
jussed
GLIB

Postby Tuffy on Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:16 am

Double dang! I missed this week, and they don't have any Venture Bros on The Fix anymore! Now I have to wait for it to turn up on YouTube.

In other news: Live Action Mecha Shiva! ... Well, drunken, ridiculous, attempted Mecha Shiva. Still funny tho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrjZibsL-Sk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hur-p_0YUGI
Tuffy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:22 am

Tuffy wrote:Double dang! I missed this week, and they don't have any Venture Bros on The Fix anymore!

it was a repeat anyway, don't know why it's not on the Fix this week, but it shall return on Friday...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tuffy on Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:43 am

I think they only (or mostly) put new or struggling shows on The Fix. Like right now they've got a bunch of episodes of that heavy metal cartoon and "Sealab 2021."
Tuffy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby jussed on Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:09 pm

It's a WALKING EYE!!

Another great ep. Venture Bros season 2 has been just on fire.
jussed
GLIB

Postby John-Locke on Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:36 pm

It was mostly a great episode I just didn't really see the point in the small storyline involving the Monarch & the Hooker nor the Henchmen, they were funny but because they didn't tie in with the other story at all I got the feeling it was filler which is a shame because the main storyline could have been explored further.

I guess it will make sense next episode with The Henchmen if they are still thinking about leaving The Monarch.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:27 am

Yeah JL I think it was merely a way of pushing forward the Monarch's story.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby jussed on Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:51 am

The Monarch's descent into madness is almost complete ala Dollarhyde in Manhunter/Red Dragon after losing Dr Girlfriend aka Lady Au Pere. Wonder if possible roommate Baron Underbheit is involved? Looks like the Henchmen are wary of the Monarch losing his marbles.

Who wants a moppet?

JET BOY and JET GIRL!!
jussed
GLIB

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:53 am

I was on Family Double Dare and i swiped them.

Goodies and a life time supplie of turtle wax? OR THE POLAR BEAR FROM LOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:34 pm

maybe not the funniest episode yet, but certainly one that shows off one of the unremarked strengths of the show, namely the seemingly effortless ability to jugg(fuck)le multiple plot lines and the ever evolving cast list while still maintaining some semblance of narrative cohesion amidst all the chaos.

Welcome appearances from #21 & #24, Dr. Girlfriend (I can't wait to zoom in on her gymnastics routing through the lasers on DVD, I bet she waxes!), H.E.L.P.er (doesn't like "cock" rock, quotes Maya Angelou), The Monarch, The Master (as Catherine the Great's Horse ("Don't wince!")), Dr. O, and Brock (ass backward, badass fall through the car windshield). Not to mention the endearingly juvenile character moments from the wonderdorks, who, we find out here, can add molestation at the hands of Sgt. Hatred to the long list of child endangerment charges against their father.

What really made this episode standout was the two n00bs to the Venture universe, Myra Brandish (the moms?) and Dr. Henry Killinger. While the Myra bits are funny, it's Killinger who stands out. Since KISSinger was an evil, carpet bombing dipshit (fact), it makes sense that KILLinger, with his Magic Murder Bag, is a "sheep in wolf's clothing", a benevolent #2 who wants to improve the cocoon (fix the problems at home instead of mass murdering the enemy from the air) and play Mr. Fix-It with the Monarch / Dr. Girlfriend and Rusty / Crazy lady. Diplomacy is, after all, the cornerstone of love...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:52 pm

Is it wrong that I am sexually aroused by an animated Hunter S Thompson with breasts??¿
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Bean on Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:05 am

The subplot of 'Groovy' and the gang was hysterical, I loved this episode.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:00 pm

Cartoon Network / Adult Swim, re-up this show, toot sweet!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:16 pm

The two-part season ender kicked my ass, badly. Very, very, badly, to the point where even being in this thread is making PAMP.

Klaus Nomi and Iggy Pop as Phantom Limbs henchmen, and Bowie joining the Monarch/Venture, um, venture.

Best line, as always came from Brock

"I'll take out Spicoliâ€
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Animation