The Venture Brothers: The Best Half-Hour On TV

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue May 13, 2008 9:56 pm

Bean wrote:Season 3 preview

Fuck. yes.

Sweet link. It's only a couple of weeks away.... I can hardly wait.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue May 27, 2008 4:03 pm

Reminder! Venture Bros! This sunday!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue May 27, 2008 4:12 pm

Woo hoo. I have to set my DVR.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue May 27, 2008 4:17 pm

bad ass, thanks.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Nordling on Tue May 27, 2008 4:42 pm

Thanks for the reminder. DVR will be set.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue May 27, 2008 4:44 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Reminder! Venture Bros! This sunday!

or Friday on the adult swim website :!:

I'm positively atwitter with anticipation.

if any show can live up to my crushing expectations, it's The Venture Brothers...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Wed May 28, 2008 5:13 pm

Just got off the phone with my dealer. He's coming over Sunday night. WHOOP ASS
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat May 31, 2008 5:04 pm

well folks, be prepared for a relatively lackluster season debut.
oh, I chuckled quite a bit, but there wasn't a moment of utter hilarity that makes the best episodes stand out (and those best episodes have multiple moments of utter hilarity - this one kinda felt like the two "duds" of Season 2, "Love-Bheits" and "Guess Who's Coming to State Dinner", but each of those had a scene or two of side splitting, inspired zaniness - this one, not so much).

it felt a bit like a lark, in that several major characters don't even make an appearance...kinda like the Season 2 debut in that regard.

but it certainly answers the cliffhanger from the season 2 finale, and it further enriches the vast backstory and character interactions that is one of THE VENTURE BROTHERS major strengths.

it felt like a bit of place-setting as well, setting up further antics down the road for Season 3.
It did improve for me, somewhat, on second viewing (what, I've got no life to speak of), and maybe Publick and Hammer just wanted to get a weaker episode out of the way, or maybe they need an episode or two to fully get in the swing of things.

but, for better or worse, it's back, and for that, I'm grateful.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat May 31, 2008 5:12 pm

Are you folks aware of the Venture Bros T-Shirt club?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

The Venture Brothers: The Best half hour on TV

Postby bastard_robo on Sat May 31, 2008 5:24 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:well folks, be prepared for a relatively lackluster season debut.
oh, I chuckled quite a bit, but there wasn't a moment of utter hilarity that makes the best episodes stand out (and those best episodes have multiple moments of utter hilarity - this one kinda felt like the two "duds" of Season 2, "Love-Bheits" and "Guess Who's Coming to State Dinner", but each of those had a scene or two of side splitting, inspired zaniness - this one, not so much).

it felt a bit like a lark, in that several major characters don't even make an appearance...kinda like the Season 2 debut in that regard.

but it certainly answers the cliffhanger from the season 2 finale, and it further enriches the vast backstory and character interactions that is one of THE VENTURE BROTHERS major strengths.

it felt like a bit of place-setting as well, setting up further antics down the road for Season 3.
It did improve for me, somewhat, on second viewing (what, I've got no life to speak of), and maybe Publick and Hammer just wanted to get a weaker episode out of the way, or maybe they need an episode or two to fully get in the swing of things.

but, for better or worse, it's back, and for that, I'm grateful.

Season two was mostly "meh" on its first viewing...

The one episode that really had me rolling was TWENTY YEARS TO MIDNIGHT.. (IGNOR ME!)

but Venture bros IS ALOT LIKE The Simpsons in that regard. Theres so much stuff to the episodes that you dont catch them untill a repeate viewing. When I bought season 2 on dvd, I watched them all back to back and caught so much shit that I missed, and even to this day there is sitll stuff that has me rolling.

I havent watched the ep yet, Im waiting for the broadcast debut so that I can watch it on my tv (and my sound card on my comp is blown out too>)
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

The Venture Brothers: The Best half hour on TV

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:23 pm

Watched it twice last night.

I loved it.

It's every thing I was hoping for from VENTURE BROS. Though Im a bit pissed they didn't reveal Dr. Girlfriends news.

And new official best villain name.

JOSEPH AND HIS AMAZING TECHNICOLOR NIGHTMARE COAT!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:54 pm

Not a bad episode. I always like the part after the credits.

Take that, Man-o-tor!
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Re: The Venture Brothers: The Best half hour on TV

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:25 pm

bastard_robo wrote:Though Im a bit pissed they didn't reveal Dr. Girlfriends news.

mayhaps you should watch it a 3rd time then...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:45 am

What news? What the heck are you guys talking about? Is Dr. Girlfriend knocked up?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:48 pm

Midg-hitlers. That was funny...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Nordling on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:22 pm

What news? I missed that.

Loved the episode. I want a full-on Dr. Orpheus episode. Just Orpheus going to the cleaners is funny to me.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:40 pm

bastard_robo wrote:Though Im a bit pissed they didn't reveal Dr. Girlfriends news.

Her secret was that she had been under orders from the Council of Thirteen to make The Monarch stop arch-villaining Dr. Venture. I think that was it anyway.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:41 pm

Fried Gold wrote:

Her secret was that she had been under orders from the Council of Thirteen to make The Monarch stop arch-villaining Dr. Venture. I think that was it anyway.

Spoilers rock!!
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:39 pm

Is it wrong that I want Dr. Henry Killenger to take me as his concubine?

CHALLENGE: Find me a nice Killenger graphic so I can change my avatar! First person who finds me a good one gets to ban whoever they want*

*not really
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:58 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Is it wrong that I want Dr. Henry Killenger to take me as his concubine?

CHALLENGE: Find me a nice Killenger graphic so I can change my avatar! First person who finds me a good one gets to ban whoever they want*

*not really

Image? :?:
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:00 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:Is it wrong that I want Dr. Henry Killenger to take me as his concubine?

*not really

Image? :?:

fail!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:08 pm

I want Burl gone...

Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:09 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:I want Burl gone...

Its more of a sig...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:11 pm

A sig counts as a graphic, now chop chop with the banning.

Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:21 pm

I love killinger...

Last nights ep was the tits!

God I fucking love this show.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:16 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:A sig counts as a graphic, now chop chop with the banning.

Win!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:00 am

This was an awesome, awesome episode of Venture Bros... prolly a buncha youse saw where the story was heading, but the "twist" still came as a surprise to me!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:01 am

you may (or may not) get the chance to ban anyone you want, but for that, and many other things, you, good sir, are unbannable. Couple that with your sig underneath, and that's one of the funniest visuals I've ever seen here in the Zone.

Pacino86845 wrote:This was an awesome, awesome episode of Venture Bros... prolly a buncha youse saw where the story was heading, but the "twist" still came as a surprise to me!!

second Killinger showed up BP called it - I had nary a clue.

"Venchmen" and the bits with Hank, dear sweet disturbed Henry Allen Venture, were 'prolly my favorite bits.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:34 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

you may (or may not) get the chance to ban anyone you want, but for that, and many other things, you, good sir, are unbannable. Couple that with your sig underneath, and that's one of the funniest visuals I've ever seen here in the Zone.

Pacino86845 wrote:This was an awesome, awesome episode of Venture Bros... prolly a buncha youse saw where the story was heading, but the "twist" still came as a surprise to me!!

second Killinger showed up BP called it - I had nary a clue.

"Venchmen" and the bits with Hank, dear sweet disturbed Henry Allen Venture, were 'prolly my favorite bits.

How on earth could you leave out the use of the MAGIC MURDER BAG!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:46 pm

Killenger is responsible for Jimmy Hoffa's disappearance!
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:46 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:How on earth could you leave out the use of the MAGIC MURDER BAG!

was that an "homage" to the Adam West Batman films? I could've sworn I've seen something like that before.

I did like how their self-imposed banning of any and all Star Wars references only lasted 1 and a half episodes...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:47 pm

In the Batman movie, the Joker and crew dehydrate the U.N. council into colored mounds of dust.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:06 pm

I loved that episode. I laughed several times. I also didn't see the twist coming. When Killinger said "Venchmen" I was like, "That's would be a great name if Venture were evil," but I never connected the dots until the end.

The Killenger penis gag (ha, that's a damn funny pun, and I totally didn't mean it) was hilarious. It had me rolling.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby tapehead on Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:21 pm

Nothing to add but more praise - loved the major Johnny Quest / Hadji Freak Out early on. Killinger turning those dudes into coloured dust was the Adam West batman Movie reference that I picked up on (edit: like Retardo says), and it was great to see Jonas Venture Jr get his very own iPod billboard...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:58 pm

tapehead wrote:Nothing to add but more praise - loved the major Johnny Quest / Hadji Freak Out early on. Killinger turning those dudes into coloured dust was the Adam West batman Movie reference that I picked up on (edit: like Retardo says), and it was great to see Jonas Venture Jr get his very own iPod billboard...

What exactly happened at the beginning? My DVR cut off the first couple of minutes. All I caught was an image of Quest freaking, and Hadji was speaking on the phone or something, but I couldn't tell what it was all about.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:05 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:
tapehead wrote:Nothing to add but more praise - loved the major Johnny Quest / Hadji Freak Out early on. Killinger turning those dudes into coloured dust was the Adam West batman Movie reference that I picked up on (edit: like Retardo says), and it was great to see Jonas Venture Jr get his very own iPod billboard...

What exactly happened at the beginning? My DVR cut off the first couple of minutes. All I caught was an image of Quest freaking, and Hadji was speaking on the phone or something, but I couldn't tell what it was all about.

Me too! I am just going to reconfigure all my shows for manual recording so I can put a couple of minutes at the beginning and end so that I miss nothing. I am so tired of that...

And I know it the MAN making me have to watch the shows live so I watch the sponsors...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:16 pm

Hadji was talking with Jonas Jr. about not making the street date for some project, because Johnny was visiting and in a bad bad way.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:30 pm

NEXT WEEK!

BILLY QUIZBOY"S ORIGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:24 pm

bastard_robo wrote:BILLY QUIZBOY"S ORIGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not the only origin we get this week.

now this, this was The Venture Brothers I know and love.

a "Magnolia" reference morphs into a "Quiz Show" reference; "YO! S.I.", the hysterically funny O.S.I. as G.I. Joe as Village People parody ("oh yeah, The Village People called and they want you to go fucking kill yourself your prancy bastard!"); Race "is it safe"; Quiz-Doom (there really is only one thing that happened in 1215), and an all too brief snippet of wee little Hank and Dean.

one problem I've had with the continuity...if the boys are 16-19yrs. old, and they were born around the time the Monarch first started arching Rusty...then the Monarch and Dr. Girlfriend have been dating for a looooong time. Too long.

but aside from that, this episode, to paraphrase the dude, really ties the gestating origins and backstory of a lot of characters together, and does it in that particularly genius Venture Brothers fashion of homage, parody, outlandish zaniness, solid animation, witty musical montages and love for all the pathetic failures that populate the show...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: The Venture Brothers: The Best Half-Hour On TV

Postby hackett on Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:34 am

Codename Pussyface....best line of the series
http://vimeo.com/pandachase - now in technicolor
hackett
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:21 am

Was there an episode tonight? My fucking DVR!!!! Please don't let me miss one! I hate CableOne!
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:30 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:one problem I've had with the continuity...if the boys are 16-19yrs. old, and they were born around the time the Monarch first started arching Rusty...then the Monarch and Dr. Girlfriend have been dating for a looooong time. Too long.

You know they are clones , right?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:00 am

I love that we're getting a lot of the "BACKSTORY" this season. Last nights ep was just spades and aces!

The OSI/GI JOE had me gasping for air.

Hunter's prelude to becoming a woman "AND I WANT GIANT LUSCIOUS BREASTS!"

Billy's hand and the loss of his eye! The rise of the Guild!!!!!

OH GOD PETER HIT ME!!!!

— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:17 am

The simple parts make me laugh.

"Hey boy, you look like you could use a hand"

Cut to him literally getting a new hand. Good stuff.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:31 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:one problem I've had with the continuity...if the boys are 16-19yrs. old, and they were born around the time the Monarch first started arching Rusty...then the Monarch and Dr. Girlfriend have been dating for a looooong time. Too long.

you know Myra told them they were born 19yrs ago, and that, despite the crazy, her story has thus far, through prodigious flashbacks and the fleshing out of the backstory, been proven correct, right? You also know that Rusty is around 40, and that the wee boys were shown in H.E.L.P.eR.'s arms this past episode, right? You also know that the 40ish - 16-19ish equals 21-24ish, and that...well, since your soooooooooooo smart, I'm sure even you can see all the dates, information we've received, the time frame, all of it works out that the boys, despite being clone slugs and having been brought back from the dead 15-16x's now, were indeed born 16-19yrs ago, or, as I have to repeat for people like you sitting in the back of the bus, around the fucking time the Monarch first started arching Rusty.

which is around the time he and Sheila started dating.

which is a loooooooooong fucking time to date.

stop waylaying me with your jackassery, Kaga...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:48 am

I didn't catch this myself (thank you comments board over @ the Onion AV Club) but that corrupt O.S.I. redhead who assigned Brock to Operation Rusty's Blanket was named Haine. Seeing how it's a great movie, I should've put 1 and 1 together and realized that Haine is French for hate, and thus it's the toe licking, inappropriate touching Sargent Hatred...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:37 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:I didn't catch this myself (thank you comments board over @ the Onion AV Club) but that corrupt O.S.I. redhead who assigned Brock to Operation Rusty's Blanket was named Haine. Seeing how it's a great movie, I should've put 1 and 1 together and realized that Haine is French for hate, and thus it's the toe licking, inappropriate touching Sargent Hatred...

and THATS why this show is fucking great!
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:40 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:

you know Myra told them they were born 19yrs ago, and that, despite the crazy, her story has thus far, through prodigious flashbacks and the fleshing out of the backstory, been proven correct, right? You also know that Rusty is around 40, and that the wee boys were shown in H.E.L.P.eR.'s arms this past episode, right? You also know that the 40ish - 16-19ish equals 21-24ish, and that...well, since your soooooooooooo smart, I'm sure even you can see all the dates, information we've received, the time frame, all of it works out that the boys, despite being clone slugs and having been brought back from the dead 15-16x's now, were indeed born 16-19yrs ago, or, as I have to repeat for people like you sitting in the back of the bus, around the fucking time the Monarch first started arching Rusty.

which is around the time he and Sheila started dating.

stop waylaying me with your jackassery, Kaga...

Wow KCBC way to be a huge ass. I guess I expect better from a mod.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:26 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:the wee boys were shown in H.E.L.P.eR.'s arms this past episode, right? You also know that the 40ish - 16-19ish equals 21-24ish, and that...well, since your soooooooooooo smart, I'm sure even you can see all the dates, information we've received, the time frame, all of it works out that the boys, despite being clone slugs and having been brought back from the dead 15-16x's now, were indeed born 16-19yrs ago... which is around the time he and Sheila started dating.

'Cept we see a Sheila in this ep, sitting on Doctor Phantomo's desk, obviously a student, trying to flirt her way into an extension, no? I think there's still maybe a couple of years before she became Doctor Girlfriend to Phantom Limb, and maybe more before the Monarch made the scene.

I think maybe Brock's hairstyles and Venture's hairline are the only safe indicator by which to plot the chronology...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:39 am

tapehead wrote:'Cept we see a Sheila in this ep, sitting on Doctor Phantomo's desk, obviously a student, trying to flirt her way into an extension, no? I think there's still maybe a couple of years before she became Doctor Girlfriend to Phantom Limb, and maybe more before the Monarch made the scene.

I think maybe Brock's hairstyles and Venture's hairline are the only safe indicator by which to plot the chronology...

'cept we also see Myra being escorted off the compound and we know that Monarch was on the scene when she was still Rusty's blanket. Unless, of course, he took her back at some point, which isn't out of the question, and does keep up the pathetic-ness of Rusty that's already established...but, nah, that bitch is nuts, no way even he would take her back.

alls I'm saying is that despite the often brilliant myth making and backstorying going on, there are obvious discrepancies in the timeline, or at least some nagging questions about times and dates...well, nagging if you're a continuity nerd.

which I'm so not.

at all.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Animation