The Boondocks! (It's Back 2nd May!)

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

The Boondocks! (It's Back 2nd May!)

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:29 pm

Huey & Riley & Grandpa

My fave comic strip in print media today finally gets it's own show!

Anyone else read it? Interested in the show? I'm dying for any reviews and opinions on this, seeing how I have to wait till the DVD drops.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:32 pm

Wait, Regina King is the voice of the kids? WTF?

MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:36 pm

oh noes!

A woman doing kid voices in a cartoon! Egads! :lol:

Yeah, that news threw me a bit. But with all the supposed freedom given to Aaron, I bet she just nailed the voices he had in his head.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: The Boondocks!

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:04 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:Huey & Riley & Grandpa

My fave comic strip in print media today finally gets it's own show!

Anyone else read it? Interested in the show? I'm dying for any reviews and opinions on this, seeing how I have to wait till the DVD drops.

yeah, i'm really excited about this. i love the Boondocks strip. it's easily the funniest and most subversive comic strip going today. pretty much all i read in my daily paper is Boondocks and Doonesbury; Boondocks wins hands down....

side note: i think it's really interesting that McGruder uses a sort of hybrid anime/manga style for a wholly american "gag strip" kind of work. anime/manga truly has become the primary visual language of comics...

i also have a feeling this cartoon is going to hit big; but it's gonna piss off a whole lot of people too! McGruder definately keeps it real and keeps it subversive!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby The Garbage Man on Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:53 pm

Is the Boondocks strip posted anywhere online? I've heard good things, but none of my local papers will print it.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:31 am

The Garbage Man wrote:Is the Boondocks strip posted anywhere online? I've heard good things, but none of my local papers will print it.

Yahoo Comics carries it (along with Ted Rall, which sorta proves Yahoo is kinda hardcore)

Also check the Washington Post, their funny section carries it as well.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:17 pm

Rufus "Spielberg" Jenkins. heh.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:49 pm

The Cartoon Network show is awesome. I hope it lasts a while.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Pacino86845 on Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:10 am

I have no idea how the show is, but that strip has been a favorite of mine for a few years (probaby since it first saw print), and Aaron McGruder has some fairly large cojones. Very subversive stuff!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:43 am

The show is fantastic! And McGruder, god bless his subversive heart, has given us some of the most inciteful (yes, a pun) social commentary going today. i highly reccomend you watch it. it comes on Sunday at 11:00pm and is rerun the next Saturday at 12:00 -- right after Samuraii Champloo!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:22 am

Yeah this Show is hilarious & insightful at the same time, I'm suprised they get away with saying what they do at times.

Great Music too.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:12 pm

Haha, having Sam Jackson do the voice for a white man is a stroke of genius!

"I could use a tasty beverage."
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fievel on Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:23 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Haha, having Sam Jackson do the voice for a white man is a stroke of genius!

Hahahaaa exactly!!! And the whole "Say what again!!!" dialogue from Pulp Fiction was hilarious only because it WAS Jackson doing the voice. The Christmas episode was great too.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:27 pm

I'm gonna watch that now. They're only up to six episodes so far, right?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby kortanaskew on Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:17 pm

Last night's episode "Return of the King" was frickin brilliant.

This is definitely the best half hour on TV right now. Animated or not, it's one of the most insightful tv shows ever, Im glad that McGruder has been given the rains to take the show in his own direction. Instead of getting the Huey, Riley and Grandpa Comedy Variety show, we get a show filled great social satire thats not above the comedic hijinks one might find on South Park or the Simpsons.

This was my favorite of the new shows this season. I just hope cartoon network don't fuck it up.

If your poor ass dont have cable or are not savvy enough to acquire the episodes by any other means.

You can watch it for Free at the Cartoon Network Adult Swim website every Friday Night between the hours of 11 pm and 6 am ONLY.

http://www.adultswim.com/fridaynightfix/index.jsp
kortanaskew
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby John-Locke on Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:24 pm

Does it air on Fridays now on TV in the US?
I'm acquiring the new episode now, thanks for the heads up.

I do really enjoy the show but it doesn't make me laugh out loud as much as say South Park can sometimes, still it is some great TV, I even have the theme music as my Ringtone.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby The Garbage Man on Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:52 pm

New episodes are shown on Cartoon Network on Sunday, then rerun on Saturday night.

You can, as kortanaskew pointed out, watch sneak previews of new shows online on Friday night.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:02 pm

I was just wondering if the latest Rips I've downloaded were TV rips or (as it obviously turns out) Net Rips, I bet if I tried to go to the Adult Swim site to watch them it would stop me because I'm overseas.

My favourite episode so far was the Zaitochi homage with the Blind Dude fighting Grandpa.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby The Garbage Man on Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:33 pm

Heh, yeah the Zaitochi one was great, as was the Christmas special.

I think you're right about the net rips, especially if you're already seeing "Return of the King," which officially airs this Sunday. I have a friend who downloads the TV rips, which typically don't show up for him until Monday/Tuesday.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:43 pm

Yeah I got last weeks on a Saturday too, I'm not complaining, the quality is fine (not quite as good as a TV Rip) there is nothing to download on weekends at the moment after BSG & Masters of Horror anyway.

Ah, it's finished downloading now, I'll be back.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby kortanaskew on Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:21 pm

Does it air on Fridays now on TV in the US?

It airs on Sundays. But Adult swim's website has soemthing called Friday Night Fix. It airs the WHOLE episode on the web.

I was just wondering if the latest Rips I've downloaded were TV rips or (as it obviously turns out) Net Rips, I bet if I tried to go to the Adult Swim site to watch them it would stop me because I'm overseas

Look at the filename. If theya re posted early and are .wmv files then usually they are the rips from Friday Night Fix.
Some of these are posted up to 4 hours before friday Night Fix.

If they are AVI files then they are TV rips.
kortanaskew
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:05 am

kortanaskew wrote:If your poor ass dont have cable or are not savvy enough to acquire the episodes by any other means.
You can watch it for Free at the Cartoon Network Adult Swim website every Friday Night between the hours of 11 pm and 6 am ONLY.

thanks for the tip :D
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:19 am

The Return Of The King episode was the best episode yet.... and it wasn't even that particularily funny.
Here's McGruder on Nightline being interviewed by a woman who defines the phrase "stuffy white person" and is every bit the charicature that Boondocks or other satirical 'toons would portray white media folk..... ironic:

Windows Media
http://www.3030media.net/jan06/011606-mcgruder.wmv

Real Player
http://www.3030media.net/jan06/011606-mcgruder.rm
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Seppuku on Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:34 am

Great interview. Thanks for the link Fievel. We don't really have racism or injustice or unhappiness here in England so it's all kinda lost on me, but it's nice to see what's goin' on in the rest of the world.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:36 am

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Great interview. Thanks for the link Fievel. We don't really have racism or injustice or unhappiness here in England so it's all kinda lost on me, but it's nice to see what's goin' on in the rest of the world.

IPAMPILASH x infinity
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:52 am

Vern, on the Boondocks...bitches

Vern wrote:"I could be wrong but I don't think Ziggy even knows who the fuck Condoleeza Rice is let alone has an opinion on her."

rotfl!

"The Itis" was the first episode I've seen...I'm hooked.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby kortanaskew on Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:43 pm

We don't really have racism or injustice or unhappiness here in England so it's all kinda lost on me, but it's nice to see what's goin' on in the rest of the world.

seppukudkurosawa, I know you were joking about this.
But this is what I've always thought England to be, as no negative images of black people ever came across the pond from you guys.
I've always thought it's because the English were a more civilized group of people and racism was not prevalent in that part of the world.
But then I saw SNATCH, and I was like damn, they have "Niggas" too.
My first thought was too blame the U.S. I thought our rap culture had finally affected you tea drinkin' fucks.
But then I just realized you've been hiding your dirty laundry all this time.
The only country that isn't racist is the one that has only one race or religion in it. Even fuckign Antartica has Emperor penguins lording it over the King penguins, talkin' about "You Ain't Shit!"
But as bad as America is, europe is a 1000 times worse.
We just don't hear about it over here as much, cause frankly we think Europe is boring.

Recently I saw a sports special about soccer racism in England and the rest of Europe. When one of your best scorers gets the ball, the chants and banana throwing begins. I don't understand this? They claim to love soccer so much but sabotage their own team? The media claimed it was just a select group of Neo Nazi's who were doing this. But when the head coach of the Italian team was fined because he called another player a black piece of shit and it was printed in the newspaper, The Italians retaliated by having an ENTIRE stadium full of people do monkey taunts and throw bananas at one poor guy.
Now they can't tell me that there were 40,000 neo nazis enjoying a game of football on that particular day.

I don't shock easily, but I can tell you this was something that amazed me. 40,000 people behaving like children.

In the U.S. we might come across as an extremely ignorant and racist country, but the hate is at least somewhat contained.

When Fifty Cent has the hottest rap record in the country or Shaq scores another basket or Aaron Macgruder wrote the funniest episode of Boondocks we don't celebrate this by throwing bananas at them and having 40,000 people howling like monkeys at them.
We aspire to be like them, emulate their style, their skills their humor.
kortanaskew
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Seppuku on Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:01 pm

I can kinda see your point, and I do agree with most of what you said, but as a former resident of North America I can tell you the thought of Brits as being staid, stuffy and repressed always makes me laugh. Take our sense of humour for example, it's designed to push buttons, and make the person/victim grow as a result. I think you'll find the harshest of talkbackers are just sarky limeys doin' their thing. We don't need psychiatrists so much because we don't let things fester so much. Then again America's a big place, so all these generalisations amount to Jack really.

And England's thick with as many different types of people as you'll find anywhere on the globe, so to say that banana-throwing football fans reflect even 1% of us is a little off-the-mark. There sure as fuck are a lot of bigots on these shores, and I've known a few (I've got a Chinese friend who can't go a single day without being called Bruce Lee...after a while this becomes less and less of a compliment).

Good point about the fact that the smaller the amount of exposure to other races the smaller the racism.

I just don't think there'll ever be a perfect country, because there's only one way of life (and that's your own), and the more people you live with in this world, the more compromises you have to make.

Also, one little, incy, wincy, tiny, niggling thing...

kortanaskew wrote:humor

Humor ain't a word. Humour on the other hand though... :wink: :wink:
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby The Garbage Man on Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:45 pm

Last edited by The Garbage Man on Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:48 pm

Them [all]blacks are goin' down.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby kortanaskew on Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:10 pm

I've got a Chinese friend who can't go a single day without being called Bruce Lee

That's what happens when you have ONE chinese friend. They start with the "Ah, Welcome to the China Club, ah-chinga-chong-chan ah-chinga-chong-chin-chan!""

However if you live in San Franscisco wheres theres a ton of asians. These type of jokes aren't very common. I figure it's either because they're either used to them there OR they're afraid of getting their ass Chop Socky'ed by a GANG of ASIANS Bruce Lee Style. ;)

Also, one little, incy, wincy, tiny, niggling thing...

You said niggling, Goddamn Racist! ;)
kortanaskew
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Seppuku on Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:15 pm

Why is it you only use yellow emoticons...Goddamn Racist! :oops:
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby kortanaskew on Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:44 pm

Why is it you only use yellow emoticons...Goddamn Racist!

Because the white ones eyes are not slanted enough! Image
kortanaskew
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby MadCapsule on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:39 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:
"The Itis" was the first episode I've seen...I'm hooked.

Nothin' quite like hearing Ed Asner say "If you don't get outta my face with that bullshit, bitch...", huh? I love The Boondocks.

I like the episode with the lazy ho where Granpa gives his belt to the white lady with the wild kid in the grocery store; she runs after the kid and yells, "You must done los' yo' goddamn mind!"
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby jgraphix on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:42 pm

I liked the one where Grandpa has to fight the old blind man... That one and the Christmas ep were hillarious.

Dear Santa...You're a bitch nigga...

LOL
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby kortanaskew on Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:58 pm

Dear Santa...You're a bitch nigga

*scratches it out*

You're a bitch ass nigga.
kortanaskew
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby jgraphix on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:00 pm

hehe..yeah...

You goin ta git whats comin to ya santa
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:11 am

a repeat?!?!?

a motherfuckin' REPEAT?!?!?

I cut short my night of 'boozin for a REPEAT?!?!?

teh suck indeed.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:00 am

New episode this week...Let's Nab Oprah...a battlecry of mad villainy.

mild spoilers...

Bushido Brown!

"Swim Bitch!"

Black Power Fist - "thousands of bolts of imperialism stopping electricity!"

"Tell me where that bitch is...Somebody tell me where Oprah is on the count of 3, or...or, I'm gonna kill the oldest bitch up in here!"
"That's real fucked up Agnes."

end spoilers...

some satire, some movie references, some social commentary thinly disguised in adorable anime antics, Samuel L., maya angelou, bill cosby, kung-fu...I love this fuckin' show, but what was up with the corporate synergy?
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:19 pm

That was the best episode yet I think, the music was fuckin awesome, Sam Jackson was a funny mofo, and all that shit about nigga technology his character kept going on about was brilliant.

I guess this was one written after a few episodes if not sooner, once they knew they had a minor hit on thier hands and were willing to put some more money in to give the fans what they want, the animation was sweet, all the fights were really well done, man what a brilliant show this is, I've been pissed with it not being on the last few weeks.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Maui on Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:12 pm

Let's not forget "Guess Hoes coming to Dinner". When the grandpa dates a hooker.

I can't remember the name of the other episode I like, where they spraypaint all the houses.

Boondocks is hilarious.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:09 pm

When are the new episodes coming out?!?

Wikipedia says the first new eps air June/September 2007.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:03 pm

Fievel wrote:When are the new episodes coming out?!?

this past weekend!

wish I could write how the new season kicked off in high gear and that it eliminated some of the problems the show has.

alas, not to be.

oh, there were some moments, but overall, I was a bit let down. 'Course, since I view 'em for free on Adult Swim's (finally working!) site, the manga inspired animation (one of the shows strengths) is woeful looking and the choppy streaming took away from the hilarity of the Huey vs. Ruckus kung-fu hoe-down, that's for sure.

just too obvious in their (black)cultural bashing, though SOUL PLANE 2: THE BLACKJACKING! did have some funny bits, particularly the mealy mouthed mumblings of fitty-cent.

As a (crazy) devoted stan-boy of the strip, I cannot emphasize enough how the show needs to set more episodes in Herbert J. Hoover elementary, add the much missed Cindy McPhearson, and, of course, Huey's best bud, Michael "BROOKLYN!" Caesar.

don't fuck this up McGruder, white-y ain't gonna give you another chance!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:08 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Fievel wrote:When are the new episodes coming out?!?

this past weekend!

wish I could write how the new season kicked off in high gear and that it eliminated some of the problems the show has.

alas, not to be.

oh, there were some moments, but overall, I was a bit let down. 'Course, since I view 'em for free on Adult Swim's (finally working!) site, the manga inspired animation (one of the shows strengths) is woeful looking and the choppy streaming took away from the hilarity of the Huey vs. Ruckus kung-fu hoe-down, that's for sure.

just too obvious in their (black)cultural bashing, though SOUL PLANE 2: THE BLACKJACKING! did have some funny bits, particularly the mealy mouthed mumblings of fitty-cent.

As a (crazy) devoted stan-boy of the strip, I cannot emphasize enough how the show needs to set more episodes in Herbert J. Hoover elementary, add the much missed Cindy McPhearson, and, of course, Huey's best bud, Michael "BROOKLYN!" Caesar.

don't fuck this up McGruder, white-y ain't gonna give you another chance!

Drat drat double drat! I missed this. Yet another show to program on the DVR.
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:18 pm

I gave up on this show.

It never really lived upto it's promise. That and it seemed to be the smae jokes over and over again.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:20 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:I gave up on this show.

It never really lived upto it's promise. That and it seemed to be the smae jokes over and over again.

BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

You like Futurama? That's rather funny.
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:47 pm

Yeah that I enjoy a ton and am looking forward to the new stuff.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fievel on Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:20 pm

It WAS more of the same..... and that's alright with me.
Since the strip is gone, if this is the only Boondocks I can get now, I'll take it.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

The Boondocks!

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:34 pm

I"ve started watching this...bit by bit. My buddy is a whore for this show, and has been trying to get me to watch it.

It really good. I love how they disect black culture in it while being funny at the same time.

I watched the episode were the white washed black guy gets possesd by the dead old black guy and gose on a racist spree, trying to get revenge.

Good stuff.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby buster00 on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:14 am

The Boondocks Season Two DVD drops this Tuesday, complete with two banned episodes!

The episodes in question take aim at one of Aaron McGruder's favorite targets, The BET Network.

Would you like to see these banned episodes right now? Hurry and click 'em before they're taken down!

"Hunger Strikes"

"The Uncle Ruckus Reality Show"
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Animation