Neon Genesis Evangelion

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Postby MonkeyM666 on Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:14 pm

More movies!! See various details from various sorces below...

Rebuild of Evangelion - Prequel, rehash, sequal.... and more!

In September 2006, the October edition of the Japanese anime magazine Newtype reported that the new cinema series "Rebuild of Evangelion" will be released in the summer 2007. [1] On September 9, 2006, GAINAX's official website confirmed that "Rebuild of Evangelion" will consist of four movies. The first three movies will be an alternate retelling of the TV series (including many new scenes, settings, backgrounds, characters), and the fourth movie will be a completely new conclusion to the story. Hideaki Anno will write the scenario for the first movie and will be the general director and manager for the entire project. Kazuya Tsurumaki will direct the movies while Yoshiyuki Sadamoto will provide character designs and Ikuto Yamashita will provide mechanical designs. Shinji Higuchi will provide storyboards for the first movie. The first film will launch in Summer 2007, the second in January 2008, and the two final movies will be shown together in Summer 2008. [2]

Parts 1-3 will use some key animation sequences from the original TV series, with new backgrounds (settings) and music. It will be "neither a remake nor a re-creation, but a new work," but what that means is anyone's guess. There are hints that new characters will be introduced. Staff include General Supervisor: Hideaki Anno, Director: Tsurumaki Kazuya , Character Design: Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, Mecha Design: Ikuto Yamashita... In other words, the same team as the original Evangelion. It will be meant as a stand-alone work, so even viewers who have not seen the original show will be able to follow along and enjoy them.

[quote]Tonight we met up with Evangelion Producer Toshimichi Ootsuki in Akihabara. According to Ootsuki-san the “contentsâ€
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:04 am

More info on the upcoming movies. This time we look at the LIVE ACTION version. Weta Studios, Gainax and ADV are handling the live action movie in the series of, well I guess it's 5 movies about to be made. Info is a bit iffy considering it's been pencilled in for a 2007 release. The budget is estimated to be between $100 million and $120 million. No mention anywhere who the director is or anything more solid that what has been posted at the head of this thread.

Weta gets involved with all the cool movies :)

There's some great looking concept art and it looks like story boards below (the link to some of these pics have been posted before, but here's the actual pics + some more:))... Enjoy...

MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:41 pm

Main site has an article with a trailer for the new animated version.

The city going into defense-mode looks cool.
I'm also glad to hear they're still using (at least in the trailer) "Fly Me To The Moon".
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby LeFlambeur on Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:36 pm

I've been following this Evangelion rebuild thing and I'm still pretty ambivalent. Given Anno's lack of direct controll over this, and a lot of little things like the fact that they've changed the Eva designs slightly (enough so that they can create new lines of toys and promo merchendise) I'm getting a lets-milk-this-cash-cow-some-more vibe. I'm really not sensing any artistic impetus for the creation of this, I've even heard that Anno made the original movie sequels kicking and screaming. The movies are going to be directed I think by Tsurumaki Kazuya, Anno's protoge. FLCL was great, but his Gunbuster sequel wasn't nearly as good as the original. Diebuster looked great, but was a bit short on substance, which is why I'm a bit mistrustful of alot of this preview stuff, it looks great.
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby reapercussions on Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:05 am

I'm not sure what you're talking about ... Anno is the chief director of Rebuild, and he wrote the script for the first movie.
reapercussions
GLIB

Postby LeFlambeur on Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:32 pm

reapercussions wrote:I'm not sure what you're talking about ... Anno is the chief director of Rebuild, and he wrote the script for the first movie.

Yeah, but he's not actually directing the individual movies, save for possibly the last one. I was under the impression that on the other films he is more of a general supervisor than he was on the original series, but I could be wrong.
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:50 pm

Well although it's a really shitty video it looks good to me. But really how can you tell when the thing we're all really waiting for is the live action., That could have just been a recut compalation for the old stuff.... :roll:. I want some real news on this, what are they pissing about for.

As for Anno, I'm happy where he is in the scheme of the films. If he were to personally direct every film we would be waiting 20 years for anything. This way he can set the guidelines, get the chosen directors into the correct mindset then let them go, only checking up on the dailys and being asked about any big changes. It'll be faster, the themes and vibe will remain the same and we'll get slightly different views on the same film themes (with Anno checking out everything and making sure that it's cool.)Sounds ok to me... the man can't do everything and this way we'll get different POV's but the same direction, vibe and themes.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:01 pm

I'm sure there was a review of the first one on the mainsite in the last month or so - lemme see if I can find it (*shudder* this means using the 'search' function)
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby tapehead on Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:11 pm

Oh, that was easy!? Here it is.

I watched it on SBS back in the day Monks, So I really am looking forward to this.
Before Transformers, I really wasn't sure a live action version would ever eventuate - it would necessarily be on a massive scale and hugely expensive, but now it's a real possibility - it would have elements like narrative and characters over Bay's film, one would hope.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:19 pm

ahhh... SBS. Something I shall rediscover in due time.

The live action films are a lot like Where the wild things are. No media, no news... it's all a bit odd really considering how popular the series was (at least popular in VHS/DVD sales)
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:21 pm

Trailer for the second movie.

Anyone know if the first is on DVD yet?
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:05 am

Fievel wrote:Trailer for the second movie.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay late answer.

Um, no. I'm waiting for it to be released in the states too and waiting sucks.

It is a cool trailer though. :D
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:12 am

Spifftacular SquirrelGirl wrote:
Fievel wrote:Trailer for the second movie.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay late answer.

Um, no. I'm waiting for it to be released in the states too and waiting sucks.

It is a cool trailer though. :D

Better late than never!!!

And I challenge you to the waiting game. I am TOTALLY going to win!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:29 pm

I just watched the first movie of Evangelion Rebuild. Now, I'm going to say a lot of negative things about this movie, but don't let that fool you. I really enjoyed it. It's just that this is basically Van Sant's Psycho. A shot for shot remake of the original series, but without the insane genius of the original.

Well, it's not as bad as Van Sant's Psycho. They've managed to compact the original series into 4 tight movies. Maybe the other 3 are different, but the first looks like all the scenes from the main series with a few Angel battles cut out for time. The only addition to the original series that I noticed was a shit load of exposition and some fan service. The exposition is what really brings the movie down. I guess the new Evangelion team doesn't think its audience is clever enough to piece the whole story together on their own, so they littler a bunch of references and explanations about the characters and plot throughout the movie. If you've never seen the original series the spectacular revelatory ending won't be as much of a shock now.

The movie also goes out of its way to explain why Shinji is such a head case. Instead of just understanding the dysfunction that is his life, you're explained it. Then all of the supporting characters are a little bit more dickish as well. Misato is a total asshole to Shinji at first and her character is more in line with them typical Japanese echi girls. She screams in a high pitched voice and makes brash sexual jokes. The maternal relationship with the subtle sexual tension is all but lost as a result.

All these hang ups I have, are just my criticisms on why this new Evangelion isn't as amazing as the original. It is still highly entertaining and the animation is beautiful. Everything is so crisp and the fight scenes are as brutal as they can get.

I'll watch this series and when it's out on DVD in America, I'll probably buy it, but it's not replacing my original set. I'm pretty sure my original series is going to have that scene where Shinji beats it to a comatose Asuka in its disturbing entirety. The new movie will probably animate that scene with one of them Dumbledore sweat water droplets over Shinji's head as a doctor walks in on him or something cliche like that.
Last edited by Retardo_Montalban on Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Shan on Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:15 am

I was lucky enough to see the first new Evangelion Movie at the cinema in Japan and I agree, a lot of it is recycled with almost no new footage.

However, what is exciting is that it showed us that as each new movie comes out, it's going to diverge further and further from the original TV series (which in effect diverged a lot from *itself* with the different endings).

Also, what I got from this film is that it's a literal reboot that continues from the ending of the TV series when Shinji rejected the instrumentality project. The world was reset and it's all happening again.

Additionally, the new enhanced scenes with new animation and CGI were really well done.

So in itself, this film isn't largely different if you've seen the original series but it does set us up for what comes next which will be *increasingly* different.
Shan
MONKEY BUTLER

Re: Warhammer online__One game, one dream

Postby Seppuku on Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:48 am

seoceo2008 wrote:spamspamspam

I've decided rather than straight-up deleting spam, I'll quote the spammer then delete their post. This way we can turn their evil ways around on them and use them as auto-bumpers instead!

(This is not just an excuse to fluff up my post count. That's just an added boon).
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

NEON GENESIS EVANGELION 2.0: YOU CAN (NOT) ADVANCE!

Postby TheButcher on Sun May 10, 2009 5:26 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

EVANGELION: 1.0 YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:44 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: NEON GENESIS EVANGELION 2.0: YOU CAN (NOT) ADVANCE!

Postby TheButcher on Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:51 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: NEON GENESIS EVANGELION 2.0: YOU CAN (NOT) ADVANCE!

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:58 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby TheButcher on Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:14 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:58 pm

youtube:
Evangelion 2.22 Epic Scene

youtube:
Shinji wrecks Asuka

youtube:
EVANGELION: 3.33 English Language Trailer
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:18 pm

I've been waiting to binge watch once everything is out. Awesome.

And a big frown for seeing the WETA concept art again. :(
Oh what could have been.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:25 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Evangelion: Another Impact

Postby TheButcher on Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:53 am

Appleseed's Aramaki Helms 'Evangelion:Another Impact' Short
Ghost in the Shell/Yukikaze's Takeuchi designs new Eva for 12th Animator Expo short

http://animatorexpo.com/evangelionanotherimpact/

New Evangelion Anime Footage Debuts in 7th Animator Expo Short
Video by Evangelion team apparently set after Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:35 am

Funimation's Evangelion: 3.33 Blu-ray/DVD Slated for February 2, 2016
Director Hideaki Anno is working on TOHO's upcoming Shin Godzilla film, but said in April that he is making both that film and the new Evangelion film with all his effort.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Evangelion × Godzilla?

Postby TheButcher on Sun May 22, 2016 6:46 am

Godzilla's looking a little gassy in the first real 'Godzilla: Resurgence' trailer
Toho's kicking off their own rebooted franchise, and we've got our first real look at G in action
Drew McWeeny wrote: When they started work on this film, Toho put together what they called the “Godzilla Conference,” a number of creatives working together to plan an overall approach to future Godzilla movies. They’ve got a plan. There are rumors that Anno might be planning to collaborate with Toho, somehow combining Evangelion with the Toho kaiju-verse, but nothing confirmed.

Otaku Mode Apr. 2, 2016 03:07
Battle of the Century: Godzilla V.S. Evangelion Movie Announced!
Anno Hideaki, director of the new Godzilla movie coming to screens in Japan on July 29th has announced leading up to the hype that Toho Studios is also making a "Godzilla V.S. Evangelion" movie, pitting Anno's best known work "Evangelion" against the legendary monster.
While little details have been reveiled about this upcoming "Godzilla V.S. Evangelion" movie, we had a peak at the image boards during the press conference. Upon the backdrop of a ruined city are the familiar silhouettes of the monster and the robot. A fierce battle is brewing!

The official sites of New Godzilla and Evangelion both carried the new movie visual along with the catchcopy "The Savage God V.S. Giant Bio-Machine Mecha" on April 1st. Furthermore, the presale tickets for the movie "New Godzilla" to be released on April 23rd will come with a clear file that has the visuals of the "Godzilla V.S. Evangelion" seen above. Only 55,555 copies of this file will be distributed worldwide. On top of that, special collaboration goods including "Tenugui" hand towels, T-shirts, iron-on patches, key holders and more for fans of both series!

What makes it even more exciting is that some of the best createors in Japan will be working on this movie. It was revealed that the movie visual was specially illustrated by famous anime director Maeda Mahiro, who also worked on "Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo" among other titles. Who will be next in building up hype for this much anticipated movie?

The upcoming "New Godzilla" is the first Godzilla movie in 12 years and is staffed by many who were involved in the production of the Evangelion series, as well as big names in the industry such as screenwriter and director Anno Hideaki, as well as special effects director Higushi Shinji. In the lead role is actor Hasegawa Hiroki, who also starred in the Attack on Titan series.

ANN:
MechaGodzilla Figure Gets Familiar Color Scheme as Eva x Godzilla Cross Over Continues

Evangelion × Godzilla Crossover Continues with Another Eva-Colored Godzilla

ゴジラ feat.EVA-01
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:41 am

ANN 2016-09-16:
Anno also responded to a remark from an audience member saying that he/she would wait as long as it took for the fourth Rebuild of Evangelion film. He first thanked the audience, and then said, "I'll work hard on it. As a matter of fact, I'm already working hard on it."

ANN 2016-11-17:
Evangelion Animator: Final Evangelion Remake Film is in Progress
Andy Hanley wrote:Animation director Takeshi Honda (Neon Genesis Evangelion, Rebuild of Evangelion films) stated in an interview with the UK Anime Network in October that the fourth Rebuild of Evangelion film is in progress.

"We're actually working on the new Evangelion film right now," Honda commented. "We're working hard and it'll come out eventually, so thanks for all of your patience - please continue to be patient, because it's going to be the last episode."

At another point in the interview he expressed his hope that Evangelion will end properly before he retires, because drawing is getting physically more difficult as he gets older.

Director Hideaki Anno commented during an interview in July that he felt he could return to Evangelion now that he has finished directing Shin Godzilla. He had previously commented in 2014 that he was thinking of returning to Evangelion after doing something different, and mentioned there might be a four to six year gap between the third and fourth films.

The title for the final Evangelion film was announced back in 2012 as Evangelion Shin Gekijōban : ||, or Evangelion: 3.0+1.0. The ":||" at the end of the Japanese title is meant to be the symbol used in music to denote repetition after reaching the end of a measure.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:46 am

Colony Drop May 14, 2012:
FINALLY, CONCLUSIVE PROOF THAT HIDEAKI ANNO IS A FRAUD AND A LIAR: A.R.I.E.L.
Sean wrote:Stop me if you’ve heard this one: a scientist builds a humanoid mecha that can only be controlled by his offspring, who it turns out have no interest in actually piloting it. This is a bit of a problem, as this giant robot is the only thing that can stop the destruction of Earth by a mysterious alien force. The show in question takes place in a version of Japan much like the present day, and the show proudly wears the influences of tokusatsu and giant robot anime.

Sound familiar? No, it’s not what you’re thinking of… it’s A.R.I.E.L.

Once in a while you stumble upon an old anime series that has largely escaped the notice of Western anime fans, even though it probably shouldn’t have. That’s not to say A.R.I.E.L is an amazing OAV worth revisiting by everyone, but it is a bizarre proto-Evangelion, based on a 20-volume novel series published between 1986 and 2004, and the few mentions of it that I’ve found in English have completely skipped over the Evangelion connection.

The novels, penned by Yuichi Sasamoto (creator of currently airing Bodacious Space Pirates), served as the basis for a series of comics published in Cyber Comic magazine in the 1980s by Gainax’s merchandising arm, General Products. These comics didn’t last long, but the first and second A.R.I.E.L OAV series, released in 1989 and 1991 respectively, featured animation by a long-time Gainax collaborator, Takeshi Honda. Honda would later go on to have a major hand in the animation for Evangelion, working on the series all the way from the show’s opening animation to the more recent Rebuild movies.

The similarities between the OAV and Evangelion are numerous, but it’s difficult to figure out how much of it was direct influence versus similarities from common inspiration. Beyond the obvious similarities of the unwilling pilots, a titular humanoid mecha operated by a non-governmental organization named SCEBAI (pronounced sukebe) and mysterious alien invaders, you’ve got some not-so-obvious similarities as well. There’s a lot of realistic, detailed but monochromatic military hardware to contrast to the more fantastic mecha and aliens. The pilots attend a regular high school. A number of the cars and motorcycles are rendered surprisingly accurately (most notably a Caterham 7). The fighting takes place in a futuristic city that has defense systems pop out from hidden locations in parks and buildings. Perhaps most damning is the revelation that the A.R.I.E.L is based on the likeness of the creator’s late wife.

It’s also worth mentioning that a rocket launch scene in the beginning of the second episode apes Gainax’s Wings of Honneamise‘s launch sequence, right down to the ice fragments and coloring.

I’m not going to point a finger here and accuse Hideaki Anno of ripping off A.R.I.E.L to make Evangelion, as the actual truth is probably a bit more nuanced and not quite as exciting. If anything, it’s likely the fault of a lot of shared influences and related staff working together. Considering how overly-analyzed Evangelion is in the West, it’s odd to see A.R.I.E.L completely ignored — then again, those fans are an obtuse bunch of over-analyzers who chose to pretend Anno’s Bible references actually mean something, and refuse to admit the importance of Ultraman on their beloved series.

While the 1989 OAV, titled A.R.I.E.L Visual, isn’t too remarkable aside from the Evangelion connections, it has some clever touches that make it worth a glance. The first episode begins with a recap segment similar to what you’d see in a regular TV show, except it’s covering episodes that weren’t actually animated, and the first and second episode are actually referred to as Episode IV in the title cards. It’s not a bad way to skip boring establishing episodes you wouldn’t need in a short OAV, and I expect it’s based directly on the 4th episode from the novel (not to mention a possible Star Wars reference). Three audio drama volumes were released, and one English-language source claims they covered the first three “episodes.” The novel series was broken up into 52 “episodes,” mimicking the pacing of a year-long mecha TV series.

The first episode doesn’t accomplish much, as it serves mostly to establish A.R.I.E.L’s creator, Dr. Kishida, his two grand daughters and his niece, whom he forces to pilot the thing. The girls complain about being forced to pilot it, aliens with elf ears and forehead antennae plot their invasion of Earth and nothing much really happens. Touches like Dr. Kishida getting a ride to work in a Harrier and one of the girls having a Totoro keychain are amusing, but they can’t save an otherwise dull episode.

It’s clear the budget was being saved for the second episode, which is largely comprised of one long battle. As you might expect, the girls are persuaded into piloting the A.R.I.E.L against the invading aliens, and we catch the first glimpse of the titular mecha outside the opening and video cover. The A.R.I.E.L itself is a bit goofy, with a perfectly normal human face (opposed to something vaguely humanoid, like Macross 7‘s VF-11MAXL) and a full head of hair that gets revealed when her helmet is knocked off. The three girls pilot A.R.I.E.L much like a Super Sentai robot, and are forced to coordinate their efforts to perform attacks. Despite decapitating a number of alien beasts, things go awry for the girls until a guy named Saber Starblast shows up and saves the day.

While clearly being part of a bigger story, A.R.I.E.L Visual does right by its limited run time by portraying itself as just a couple episodes of a bigger series. This works a lot better than trying to cover too much in two brief OAVs, although I can’t help but feel sorry for the poor otaku who paid 7,800yen in 1989 for the first episode.

The second OAV, 1991’s Deluxe A.R.I.E.L, is another two-parter and really just more of the same. It clearly has a better budget and some of the designs have been reworked to look a bit more modern, but with much of the staff returning it feels very familiar. The story picks up right where the first OAV left off, with yet another alien attempt at attacking Earth. The higher budget and better pacing makes for a more entertaining experience than A.R.I.E.L Visual, although it’s still hard to recommend.

There are even more Evangelion similarities to be found, most of which are a little bit too close to be pure coincidence. Both episodes start with a character running late to school with a piece of bread sticking out of her mouth. There’s an abundance of train imagery. The idea of limited fuel really sticks out, as a monster in the first episode stops fighting because its energy supply has run out, and the second episode takes it a bit further, with an energy barrier used to protect Tokyo requiring all power within the Yamanote Line be cut off.

And just to bring things full circle, there’s yet another reference to an earlier Gainax title: one of the girls shows up to pilot the A.R.I.E.L in a bunny suit straight out of the DAICON films.

For whatever weaknesses the A.R.I.E.L OAVs have, it’s hard to argue with the apparent popularity of a franchise which spanned nearly twenty years of novels. Around the time of the OAV’s production, a number of audio dramas were released, and a quick look on Yahoo! Japan Auctions turns up stuff like A.R.I.E.L stickers and pencils — a sign that this title was probably popular at one point in time. With that said, aside from its place as a curiosity stemming from its connections to Evangelion, it’s not a noteworthy title today.

There are plenty of other largely uninteresting, mediocre OAVs from the early days of the medium, but most don’t make you feel like you’re watching Evangelion.

(Special thanks to duckroll for helping me uncover the Gainax/Honda connection)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:01 pm

This is a quote taken from the middle of the article:

I’m not going to point a finger here and accuse Hideaki Anno of ripping off A.R.I.E.L to make Evangelion, as the actual truth is probably a bit more nuanced and not quite as exciting.

And this is the title of the article:

FINALLY, CONCLUSIVE PROOF THAT HIDEAKI ANNO IS A FRAUD AND A LIAR

...pretty much sums up why Internet journalism is fucked.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:45 am

YouTube:
Folding Ideas - End of Evangelion and the Audience Author Membrane

YouTube:
Folding Ideas - End of Eva Follow Up
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:12 am

ANN:
Evangelion Studio Khara Confirms Next Shin Evangelion Is in Production
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:28 am

I have no interest in watching any of these new versions until the series is complete.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Previous

Return to Animation