Neon Genesis Evangelion

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby Fievel on Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:00 pm

Any word on this movie ever happening? The WETA designs from a few years ago brought hope..... but there's only been silence since then.

Must.... have.... giant robots.... on film...... destroying.... everything.... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! Oh, and a coherent ending please.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby EliCash on Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:02 pm

i was actually on the WETA site the other day, and on their neon genesis gallery (fucking ace by the way) it says that the film has been put on hold
EliCash
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:03 pm

Damn that sucks. I'm not huge on anime or manga, but I was really into this thing.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Iconoclastica on Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:04 pm

This is the most recent thing I've read: Here

damn, that would be one awesome mindfuck of a flick ^_^
Last edited by Iconoclastica on Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Ribbons on Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:14 pm

Here's a look at some of the sketches WETA's done for this project if anyone's innerested.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:15 pm

This upsets me.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Neya on Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:17 pm

Back during my anime nutso days I loved this series. I have no idea how the prospect of a live action film could slip past me, damn.

I dunno whether to get excited or scared. A 13 hour tv series with one huge story arc Im not sure would translate to a feature length movie well, but, wow, I think id like to see it anyway and decide.
~Tonight I go as a Nemesis bearing just and blazingly cataclysmic vengance.~

I bake a good pie too.
Neya
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Iconoclastica on Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:21 pm

I imagine that the movie would turn into a combination of Death&Rebirth (which was basically a feature length overview of the entire series) and End of Evangelion (which, when watched, quite aptly turns even the strongest minds into skull-fucked piles of sawdust . . . and I mean that in the most positive of ways ;))

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Crayotic Rockwell on Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:40 pm

Latest news i heard (about a month ago) is that ADV have roughly half (50-60 million) of the financing they feel is sufficiant to do it justice. So it is positive, yet still 50-60 million short

Personally, the only way I see this being done right is through a trilogy (oh, how cliche) of films. First one being pretty much blockbuster spectacle with not much to think about (get ass in seats), but with overshadowing of some of the larger themes and mindfuck to come..

*spoilers* Have the first end with Shinji/Steve/whatever they call him getting over his reluctancy and deciding to pilot Eva (this also allows it to be self-contained for if it bombs). Second is the Empire Strikes back flick which leaves everyone fucked over, Rei (supposedly) dead and Asuka in a mental coma.. and then the third being sort of an amalgam of the last part of the series with some bits from End Of Eva (the Asuka vultures fight is a must), plus a good dash of mind fuck *spoilers end*

EDIT: It's good to see that Richard Taylor considers this sort of a pet project tho, and not just something to get WETA some extra work.. I consider Richard Taylor to have a certain amount of credability (not to mention ties with a certain big name director), which ADV might not be able to muster up themselves
Last edited by Crayotic Rockwell on Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Anime Stock Exchange for all your anime tripe
Crayotic Rockwell
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:44 pm

this movie desperately needs to be made. i would shit my pants if WETA did an EVANGELION flick...

best psychotic existential buddhist deconstructed christian emotional breakdown rageaholic apocalypse child abuse nightmare with giant robots ever!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby EliCash on Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:51 pm

i heard a disquieting rumour when word first hit of the live-action concept that the leads would be anglicised? as in having Shinji played by Daniel Radcliffe or some shit
EliCash
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Crayotic Rockwell on Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:57 pm

I think that's most likely what will happen (along with the names).. Unfortunately, I just don't it's possible to make back 100-120 million dollars with an all Japanese lead cast.. personally, I'm not all that concerned with it, as I don't really consider the localisation that important to the storyline

Altho, there's no reason why we can't have Asuka be from Russia.. if everyone suddenly all hails from the same country then that is a little lazy and knee-jerk..

And on the subject of Daniel Radcliff (would be a big name, but he's got an awful smile), even Harry Potter is willing to mix up the race card now.. so there's not any reason to be complete bitches about it (those who would cast Eva)
Last edited by Crayotic Rockwell on Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crayotic Rockwell
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:58 pm

anglicizing the characters would suck, but i wouldn't be surprised. in fact, i kinda expect it. also, i don't think that would necessarily ruin it either. still,i agree, the characters should remain japanese. Rei, in particular, MUST be japanese. no ifs ands or buts. if Shinji turns to Stephen, that would be lame, but i don't think it would kill it for me...
Last edited by ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Iconoclastica on Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:59 pm

Yeah I heard a similar rumor that they were planning on anglicanizing/americanizing the character's names as well, i.e. Shinji=Shawn, Rei=Rachael, etc. Hopefully the delay in production will lend itself to the project as a whole ending up in the right hands, providing the respect that the source material deserves.

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Crayotic Rockwell on Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:04 am

It may very well come down to who comes on board as director/producer.. if it's some big name, and they have an actual *passion* for the material we could see things staying relatively true.. if it's just some director-for-hire or gimme-my-money-producer then we might not be so lucky.

Unfortunately, I think ADV would be pretty willing to cave to many demands if a studio strong-armed them about it
Crayotic Rockwell
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby scottgreen on Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:06 am

I agree that Weta Eva versus Angel fights could be something never before seen on the big screen, and would clearly be amazing, but does an Evangelion live action movie need to be made?

I know this would sound like everyone whose said that they'll never make novel or play XYZ into a movie, but...

Personally, I think anime was a phenomina that could only happen once. The issues that Anno had to get out his system. The creation process. The state of anime in Japan. The state in North America. They all contributed to Evangelion being what it was.

I don't think its something that can ever be recaptured.

Yeah, the Evangelion designs are great for this purpose, but for everything else, it would almost be better if they came up with a new concept.

It would require a seriously talented screen writer to fit in even just the Shinji/Gendo relationship into a movie script with the level of noise (noise being all the cool action, sci-fi, symbolist ect) of Evangelion without it being terribly pat. The other arcs (Asuka, Misato, Ritsuko) would almost certainly end up rudimentary at best.

Then again, I'm in the minority in loving the original TV ending.

In the end, if they get anything like the Direc Sea episode into a movie, I'll forgive the other faults.

Speaking of Eva, it anyone watching it on Cartoon Network? From what I've seen, its doesn't seem to be generating much noise.
scottgreen
GLIB

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:15 am

Asuka's battle with, and ultimate defeat by, the production model Evas is my favorite scene in the whole series. It is flawless and supercool beyond words... someone needs to start doing the animatics/pre-viz for that scene like now... hey, WETA, get back to work!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:16 am

scottgreen wrote:Speaking of Eva, it anyone watching it on Cartoon Network? From what I've seen, its doesn't seem to be generating much noise.

i think thats cause pretty much everyone who tunes into Adult Swim has seen it already!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby fried samurai on Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:12 am

I had mentioned this before in the talkbacks but I think David Cronenberg was born to direct an Evangelion film.

Nobody does the melding of the flesh and technology better than Cronenberg.Plus he's a great storyteller and knows how to work with fx.
fried samurai
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:19 am

oh yeah, i remember we were going on about that at length over at the TBs.
i agree that Cronenberg would a fantastic choice!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby HoodedAvenger on Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:02 am

I made the mistake of telling a mate that death and rebirth put an end to the series in a less confusing way

he tried to club me to death with a sonny chiba boxed set
I Tire Of This
HoodedAvenger
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:08 am

HoodedAvenger wrote:I made the mistake of telling a mate that death and rebirth put an end to the series in a less confusing way

but END wraps it all up pretty nicely. it all made sense to me.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby HoodedAvenger on Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:18 am

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:
HoodedAven ger wrote:I made the mistake of telling a mate that death and rebirth put an end to the series in a less confusing way

but END wraps it all up pretty nicely. it all made sense to me.

That is true .. i'm not sure he understood the series anyway
I Tire Of This
HoodedAvenger
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:23 am

btw, who is y'alls favorite character in Evanglion.

i have to go with Asuka. she's the most badass. her final battle is mezmerizingly cool. she's the polar opposite of whiney emo dork Shinji.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby HoodedAvenger on Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:34 am

Asuka less mopeing more killing
I Tire Of This
HoodedAvenger
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:46 am

also: Best "Death" Ever! She goes out in a seething blaze of rage-filled glory. awesomeness...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby HoodedAvenger on Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:20 am

Best way to go out indeed its the way I plan to go

just need to find a giant bio mechanical robot now
I Tire Of This
HoodedAvenger
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fievel on Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:37 pm

I loved the scenes whenever Misato (?) would come home and slam a beer. It seemed like such a cheesy old sitcom at that point with the silly theme song and everything..... then the story just went dark. Yum.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:31 pm

Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:46 pm

Wow.... I'm the only one that gets a warm feeling in my pants from this?

Sigh.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Al Shut on Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:27 pm

You are not alone, I was just busy doing a happy dance.

Can't wait for more news on that one, espescially which director they will choose.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby LeFlambeur on Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:14 pm

Why do we need to adapt everything? Can't we just leave some things alone? Evengelion was a great show, there was nothing wrong with it. I see no way that it could be properly translated from animation, anymore than I can see a good reason to do it.
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Fievel on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:09 am

LeFlambeur wrote:Why do we need to adapt everything? Can't we just leave some things alone? Evengelion was a great show, there was nothing wrong with it. I see no way that it could be properly translated from animation, anymore than I can see a good reason to do it.

Perhaps to simplify the ending? :lol:
I don't like to have to be completely sober to enjoy something!!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:26 pm

I don't think this movies has to be made either. You can't recreate Evangelion, unless you find a genius having a nervous breakdown to direct. I'll watch i though. I'll watch it for some cool mech fight scenes and Shinji choking the shit outta Asuka (they better put that in).
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Al Shut on Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:28 am

They don't need to recreate the series, I would already be satisfied if the series spawns a good (not necessarily genius) movie.

If I could choose between a brilliant series and no movie or a brilliant series and a 10% chance of a decent movie (with 89.9% crap and 0.1% sheer briliance) I would take the risk.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby dimnix on Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:44 am

As far as I know, Weta was only hired to do those designs for the time being (probably to help sell the film to a studio), though I reckon weta would probably work on the film if it ever went into production. Theres alot of fans of the material in the workshop.
dimnix
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Crayotic Rockwell on Sat May 06, 2006 12:35 am

So the latest Anime-AICN column has more tidbits on the Eva live-action.. ADV rekon they have 3 A-star directors lined up, and they'll most likely have one signed on by the end of the year

Obviously this spectrum is far and wide considering how little it takes to be considered an A-star director nowdays I imagine.. but who do you think would be good picks? (or if your womens intuition is that good, who do you think may have approached ADV for the job?)

Coz while I think the movies would obviously need someone that can handle the dramatic aspects with a deft touch, they also need to be able to do spectacular action if they really want to make sequel-sized ticket sales.. and surprisingly, Hollywood seems kinda bereft of decent action directors nowdays

I hate to say it, but It'd be reasurring to see The Wachowski's attached somehow. I think they've got stroke to protect it from the studios (altho i dunno exactly who's putting up the big money), they're obviously anime whores, and while i find their writing a bit shoddy personally, they should be able to handle it given the source material.

The biggest worry I'd have about them would most likely be in the casting area

Anyway, that's my pure speculation for now
Crayotic Rockwell
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Fievel on Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:50 pm

A new update.
It's going slow, but it's going to happen.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Crayotic Rockwell on Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:29 am

Nice.. i was actually wondering if the Transformers flick--if it's a hit--would help boost the interest levels of investors and what not

I mean we know that it's slightly different, but ADV could still pitch it along the lines of "giant robots & big destruction = big moneys 4 you!"
Crayotic Rockwell
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Logan5 on Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:26 am

I just wish that Anno would do a live action movie of EVA with the team that made Casshern.
Casshern has got to be the best live action anime to date. (although Anno's live action version of Cutie Honey is kick-ass.)
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Crayotic Rockwell on Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:05 pm

I just hope that the End Of Eva events have some kind of placement in this proposed trilogy.. I know a lot of people weren't fond of it or consider it non-canon (even ADV said something along these lines) but that's what really bumped it up a whole other level for me

We need more jerking off on hospital patients in cinema.
Crayotic Rockwell
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:25 pm

Crayotic Rockwell wrote:I just hope that the End Of Eva events have some kind of placement in this proposed trilogy.. I know a lot of people weren't fond of it or consider it non-canon (even ADV said something along these lines) but that's what really bumped it up a whole other level for me

We need more jerking off on hospital patients in cinema.

seconded. the choking too
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Fievel on Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:34 pm

http://comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=16442

Toon maker Gainax will produce four theatrical features in its iconic "Evangelion" series. The films, the first in nearly a decade, are based on the 26-part TV series that launched the worldwide "Evangelion" boom in the 1990s.

The first, helmed by Gainax veteran Shinji Higuchi, will be released in July, the second in January and the third and fourth on a double bill in June 2008. They'll be distributed by Klockworx.

The first three pics will borrow some images from the TV show, but with new backgrounds and soundtracks. The stories of the third and final will be brand-new, in response to the many fans who were dissatisfied with the ending of the two "Evangelion" pics directed by Hideaki Anno and released in 1997.

All four will incorporate far more 3-D animation technology than the original features and series.

The "Evangelion" series, about teenagers who pilot huge robot warriors against invading aliens while struggling with the issues of adolescence, began as a cult hit on Japanese TV.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:35 pm

I'm intrigued by the above announcement. I would have liked to have seen a kick-ass live version, but this could do just as good, and likely better. I don't think they would have been able to pull off the whole "kids going through hell" aspect of it in a live version.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:54 am

Fievel.. That is mighty news. I liked the final movies though, hell everyone died you can't get more dramatic then that.

Death and Rebirth, the compile of the whole series wrapup and the final tv ep, was C R A Z Y!
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:48 am

Can anyone who's familiar with the series break down its appeal for me? I've only caught an episode or two myself, and while I think that genetically-modified penguin is the shit, I don't really know a lot about it, and I feel like I want to.

I tried acquainting myself with the series via Wiki, but their article is way too dialogic and dry. I want to know what someone who's passionate about the show thinks.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:01 am

I'll pass on explaining about the whole series because I only saw Death and Rebirth and the final movie. It's a very gritty, obscure look at the end of days. Adam and Eve, all that kind of thing. I really enjoyed the directing and passion shown within each characters universe, their hidden personal problems causing conflict that the world/heaven/hell has to deal with.

I also find it interesting to see a Christian based story in Japanese form. The union with nature and the world taught against the destruction of everything we know. You can see the conflict with the writing team’s abuse of the planet. They push a point of view about western religion that is metaphysical, and makes you think about the deeper implications of the story beyond the cool ass robots and crazy aliens.

I like it...
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:57 pm

Neon Genesis Evangelion is:
-Future Earth
-Young Kids
-Aliens
-Mechs
-Kid trying to live up to father's expectations
-Sexy beer-drinking female mentor/superior
-A penguin
-Confusion
-Explosions
-Genetic engineering
-Lies
-Love
-Beethoven's Ode To Joy (from his 9th Symphony)
-Battles
-Death
-Hell
-More confusion
-A lot more

Seriously, this is probably the most difficult series to describe when asked what it's about. My list of things it has is in no way definitive (I'm probably wrong on one or two, it's been a while since I've seen it) and is also likely severly lacking. The purpose of the show (to me) seemed to shift several times, leaving me wondering what was possibly going to happen next. I think that's a fairly decent trait to have. In the end, I'm glad I watched it and look forward to watching it again sometime.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:36 am

Fievel wrote:Neon Genesis Evangelion is:
-Future Earth
-Young Kids
-Aliens
-Mechs
-Kid trying to live up to father's expectations
-Sexy beer-drinking female mentor/superior
-A penguin
-Confusion
-Explosions
-Genetic engineering
-Lies
-Love
-Beethoven's Ode To Joy (from his 9th Symphony)
-Battles
-Death
-Hell
-More confusion
-A lot more

Seriously, this is probably the most difficult series to describe when asked what it's about. My list of things it has is in no way definitive (I'm probably wrong on one or two, it's been a while since I've seen it) and is also likely severly lacking. The purpose of the show (to me) seemed to shift several times, leaving me wondering what was possibly going to happen next. I think that's a fairly decent trait to have. In the end, I'm glad I watched it and look forward to watching it again sometime.

Your right, all of the above and add cannibalistic bio-genetic robots and your getting close. You could also add *spoiler* that in the final moments of the final movie everyone dies. Every single member of humanity, their pets, their pets fleas everyone! Now that's a cracking way to end a series!

Reading all of this makes me want to sit down and watch it all again!
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:39 am

I just found this in wiki if anyone cares... it may help explain the actual plot, instead of the events throughout the series.

Plot
Main article: Plotline of Neon Genesis Evangelion
Evangelion's plot superficially revolves around the struggles by the paramilitary organization NERV to prevent the city of Tokyo-3 and the Geofront underneath it from being destroyed by monstrous beings called Angels. To this end, NERV enlists three teenagers, Shinji Ikari (the son of NERV's commander Gendo Ikari), Rei Ayanami, and Asuka Langley Soryu, to pilot enormous mecha called Evangelions into battle against the Angels. As the series progresses, it is revealed that the true purpose of NERV, the Evas, and the Angels is to bring about a forced evolution of humanity with potentially cataclysmic repercussions. The struggles of the central characters to overcome their personal issues and personality conflicts factors heavily into the events of the series, and become integral to the conclusion of the series.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Animation