Tales from Earthsea

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Tales from Earthsea

Postby Pudie on Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:37 pm

Last edited by Pudie on Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby jgraphix on Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:41 pm

Thats guy that did Howles Moving Castle and stuff, No?
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Pudie on Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:43 pm

Indeed
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Pudie on Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:47 pm

Actually, I was mistaken. It's Goro Miyazaki, his son.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby RoadBlock on Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:48 pm

Wasn't this already done by SciFi?
RoadBlock
GLIB

Postby Ribbons on Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:50 pm

I assume that this has something to do with these Tales of Earthsea? I've never actually read the books myself, but a Ghibli adaptation of some classic fantasy novels could be interesting.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Pudie on Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:55 pm

Indeed. And it will be in Japanese theatres July of next year.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby jgraphix on Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:59 pm

Well good for Japan.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:21 pm

Sounds sweet! Hopefully the talent is in the genes!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby MelaWolf on Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:52 pm

Wow, that looks amazing. If Miyazaki jr. is anything like the genius of his father, this will rock!
MelaWolf
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby scottgreen on Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:22 pm

Not to be down with on Goro Miyazaki's work, I haven't it, but I don't think many other people have either. He might be brilliant, but he definately doesn't have the extensive background his father did. He's been the director of the Ghibli Museum, not an animator.

He also has a very different personal history than the one that informed Hayao Miyazaki's work.

Reportedly Hayao Miyazaki didn't love the idea.

Personally, for the future of Ghibli, I'd like to see something else from the Cat Return's Hiroyuki Morita. It would be interesting to see what he's do with a heavier script.
scottgreen
GLIB

Postby MelaWolf on Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:27 pm

I agree. I loved The Cat Returns and think it's sadly overlooked.
You think you really know what's happening here, don't you? Well, I'll tell you something, you don't know shit, buddy.
MelaWolf
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Juno Reactor on Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:57 pm

Well, "Tales from Earthsea" (as they're calling it now in America) both worries and excites me.

First of all, everybody should check at the door any expectations of a faithfal adaptation of the book. Let's be realistic here, and NOT expect the book in film form; just dash those hopes right now so we don't have to listen to Earthsea fans bitch later. Just as "Howl's Moving Castle" followed its source material for roughly the first third of the film before branching out into all-new territory, I expect "Earthsea" will be the same, borrowing the premise but otherwise creating a whole new story.

Now then, what worries me is Goro. I don't have any reason to doubt him other than the fact that he is unproven, so don't get me wrong, he must have *some* potential to be entrusted with this task. I know he's been praised at storyboarding sessions by the likes of Evangelion's creator (what's his face?), and that fellow knows a thing or too about animation.

I suppose what's gnawing at me is how, in the few public comments he's made on the subject, Hayao seems to be distancing himself from his son's work because it creates "tension." Phooey! I say be a domineering father and make sure your son doesn't butcher it!

But, those grumblings aside, I'm excited by the idea of this movie, if for nothing else but the guaranteed beauty of its paintings and animation. You just *know* that that aspect of it will be nothing short of stellar, as will Joe Hisaishi's inevitable score. Now it just needs Hayao to inject his trademark touch of magic...
Juno Reactor
GLIB

Postby MonkeyM666 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:56 am

So has anyone actually seen this as yet? I've been searching for a copy and there are no dubs of it anywhere. I'd love to read a spoiler free review (As I've only read one of the earthsea books)
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:46 am

MonkeyM666 wrote:So has anyone actually seen this as yet? I've been searching for a copy and there are no dubs of it anywhere. I'd love to read a spoiler free review (As I've only read one of the earthsea books)

Is it even anywhere near release yet?
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:48 am

just checked IMDB and it says it has been released. I MUST find it!!!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:57 am

colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:57 am

It sure has been, and I've seen it but because I don't understand Japanese and there are no subs or dubs around for it was tricky. I actually gave up 10 minutes into watching it...

It does look pretty, but what I saw the imagery was very to the point and not very imaginative.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:58 am

Cool, so it has been out for a month...

I MUST SEE IT!!!
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:40 pm

In one word: Booooooooooooooooooooring!!!!

I would have added more o's but I'm afraid if I accidently stretch the thread I'll be kittyfied.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Fievel on Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:08 pm

I didn't make it past 10 minutes into the movie.
The animation looks on par with something released in 1982.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Al Shut on Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:10 pm

At least the first 10 minutes didn't take place on a farm, like 50% of the whole movie.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:52 pm

Ohh... really? That's a damn shame... I had such high hopes, high...*sniff* apple pie in the * sniffle* sky hopes... :cry:
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:12 am

Just finished the film and it's realy quite amazing. Not brilliant but still so much better then most animated films out there. The prelude drags a bit but once that is all done and set-up the film realy lifts off. It's not true to the book but it's an amazing achievement nonetheless for a first time director. And no matter how it compresses the movies stories to one widely accesible fantasy tale it does capture it's soul with great animation and incredible music. I give it a solid 8/10.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Al Shut on Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:14 am

Evil Hobbit wrote:Just finished the film and it's realy quite amazing. Not brilliant but still so much better then most animated films out there. The prelude drags a bit but once that is all done and set-up the film realy lifts off. It's not true to the book but it's an amazing achievement nonetheless for a first time director. And no matter how it compresses the movies stories to one widely accesible fantasy tale it does capture it's soul with great animation and incredible music. I give it a solid 8/10.

I couldn't disagree more.

I've never read one of the earthsea books so I don't know if my expectations were justified or unreasonable but when I watch a movie based on a popular fantasy novel I expect to see some fantastic settings and imagery. Tales from Earthsea gave me that for maybe five minutes during the indeed dragging set up, after that it's like a Bond movie set in an Amish village.

I also got the impression that some things were explained very poorly but I have to confess that might have bben my attention slipping.

The animation looks like the movie was 20 years old. That's not a bad thing on itself but combined with the rest it gave me a feeling of half-assness. And don't get me started on how some of the designs are lifted straight from Myazaki seniors work.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:11 pm

The animation looks a LOT like Nausicaa. Specially the wolf attack scene. But there's still some great character animation to it, with fantastic angles. The real animation treats are in the dreamlike sequences of a balanced world. With the dragons for example. I had higher expectations as well but still liked it a lot.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Re: Miyazaki's son announces movie - Tales of Earthsea

Postby Ribbons on Mon May 17, 2010 2:33 pm

From AICN: US Release [Finally] Scheduled for Ghibli Adaptation of Tales from Earthsea

Disney has announced that it will theatrically release Studio Ghibli's Tales from Earthsea (Gedo Senki) in the US on August 13th under its Touchstone Pictures banner. The movie, directed by Goro Miyazaki, the son of revered anime director Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away, Ponyo, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro) several books from Ursula K. Le Guin's series of novel. The feature premiered in Japan back in 2006, and hit other English speaking territories, such as the UK and Australia since then, but its US release has been delayed due to the Sci-Fi Channel's now expiring hold on the Earthsea rights.

Cast for the English dub includes Timothy Dalton, Willem Dafoe, Cheech Marin and Mariska Hargitay.

Reviews of the movie weren't especially positive, especially by the standards of the frequently lauded Studio Ghibli, and it is generally remembered a cause of friction between Hayao and Goro Miyazaki. Le Guin was likewise cold to the work

I didn't realize there was so much drama going on behind the scenes. That, plus the negative reviews, are dispiriting. However, I'm always interested in the voice cast Disney assembles for the English-language translations of Ghibli films. I'll probably end up checking it out eventually, even if it's not supposed to be very good.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:06 pm

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:52 pm

Looks super sweet. Strange cross cutting at the end of the trailer though... I can't remember if I've read any of the Earthsea stuff. Its a shame that the west hasn't made more "traditional" fantasy movies.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Re: Tales from Earthsea

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:56 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:47 am

Seems like that guy took a real dump on the flick... Was surprised to see that its been out though for 4 years in Asia. I always have this problem, I go to people "Yo, there's this amazing flick coming out from Asia" and they say "yeah, seen it, it came out 4 years ago"...
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:11 am

Coming Soon…to Your Living Room: Studio Ghibli Titles on Blu-ray
From Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, three Studio Ghibli classics -- ‘Tales from Earthsea,’ ‘Porco Rosso’ and ‘Pom Poko’ -- make their way onto Blu-ra
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Animation