Page 1 of 1

Could someone please explain Inspector Gadget's deal to me?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:08 pm
by mraig
So, was he entirely a robot, or was he a person who'd had some kind of surgery to give him those bionic arms and legs? I watched that cartoon a lot in my youth, and to my knowledge that was never explained. The fact that he has a (niece?) Penny seems to indicate that he was at one point a normal human being, but did he get mangled in a car accident and then the doctors decided to use a highly experimental technique to patch him up, or what?

If the live action movie(s) explained this, I'm sorry to waste everyone's time, but needless to say, I did not see either of those.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:14 pm
by Gheorghe Zamfir
The latter, part man, part machine, all cop. And you're right, it was never explained how he came to be, the ever useful wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inspector_gadget

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:14 pm
by The Garbage Man
Inspector Gadget is a cyborg. His robotic parts were installed by Professor von Slickstein, but it was never revealed why or how.

It is also still unclear if his "gadget dick" could indeed "whip that shit out."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:14 am
by buster00
I have seen the first "Gadget" live action movie. I'm here to tell you that it sucks about 17 different flavors of shit, but it does make up some backstory for the character. I never bothered with the direct to video sequel.

Maybe try this Wikipedia link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inspector_Gadget_spin off_incarnations#Live_Action_Movies

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:19 am
by Shane
That's too much thought for Inspector Gadget, he was just a Get Smart cartoon.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:23 am
by buster00
JUST a Get Smart cartoon, Shane?

Was The Flintsones JUST a Honeymooners cartoon?

Was Top Cat JUST a Phil Silvers cartoon?

Was The Jetsons JUST a Flintstones cartoon?

....That's what I THOUGHT you'd say.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:24 am
by Shane
um yeah

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:27 am
by ONeillSG1
buster00 wrote:JUST a Get Smart cartoon, Shane?

Was The Flintsones JUST a Honeymooners cartoon?

Was Top Cat JUST a Phil Silvers cartoon?

Was The Jetsons JUST a Flintstones cartoon?

....That's what I THOUGHT you'd say.


Calm down, William Wallace, no need to rally the troops. Easy, fella, easy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:31 am
by Shane
Didn't they do a couple movies of Inspector Gadget recently?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:08 am
by DennisMM
Yeah, as mentioned above, Shane. A theatrical pic with Matthew Broderick (paying for all those Jimmy Choos, I guess) followed by a direct-to-video sequel with French Stewart from Third Rock from the Sun.

Sorry if your question was sarcastic and I fucked up.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:12 am
by Shane
|I seemed to have missed a rash of cartoon movies about old cartoons.

I guess It was just lack of intrest for my age at the time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:20 am
by DennisMM
Shane wrote:|I seemed to have missed a rash of cartoon movies about old cartoons.

I guess It was just lack of intrest for my age at the time.


Who ever expected two live-action Gadget movies? What's next, Speed Racer? Chim-chim has to be digital. None of this baby-in-a-suit stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:29 am
by mikejonas
Did anyone else come have the same suspicion as me regarding Dr. Claw in the cartoon--that he was really the Police Chief, tired of having those self-destructing notes blow up in his face, trying to send Gadget to his doom?

The movies sucked bad. Real bad. Gallons of toothpaste inexplicably shooting out of his arms bad.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:36 am
by Shane
I'd rather see them do Smurfs all fantasy and dark,

could anyone pull that one off?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:56 am
by TheButcher
mikejonas wrote:Did anyone else come have the same suspicion as me regarding Dr. Claw in the cartoon--that he was really the Police Chief, tired of having those self-destructing notes blow up in his face, trying to send Gadget to his doom?

The movies sucked bad. Real bad. Gallons of toothpaste inexplicably shooting out of his arms bad.
I always thought the same thing.
Dr. Claw has to be Quimby. Gadgets a cyborg I got that. But what the hell is up with is his dog. Brain has to be some kind of We3 type of super dog. Penny was cool she had a laptop way back then.

Shane wrote:I'd rather see them do Smurfs all fantasy and dark,

could anyone pull that one off?

Luc Besson or maybe Mel Gibson.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:06 pm
by DinoDeLaurentiis
buster00 wrote:JUST a Get Smart cartoon, Shane?

Was The Flintsones JUST a Honeymooners cartoon?

Was Top Cat JUST a Phil Silvers cartoon?

Was The Jetsons JUST a Flintstones cartoon?

....That's what I THOUGHT you'd say.


I donna know about a those, eh? But I think that a the HB really broke a new grounds with a the JabberJaw... Totally unique!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:13 pm
by Chairman Kaga
Top Cat was Sgt. Bilco....just to narrow it down a little bit from all of Phil's work.

How about Yogi Bear as Art Carney/Ed Norton?..I find it a little better when the characters were just sorta ripoffs/mirror images of comedians rather than the entire situation being transported ala the Flintstones. Like the aforementioned Jabberjaw= Curly.....

Although I always thought the Jetsons was the best at not just directly ripping off some previous sitcom. Then HB just started knocking off their own work Scooby Doo begat Josie and the Pussiecats/Jabberjaw/Speedbuggy ad nauseum.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:30 pm
by DinoDeLaurentiis
Chairman Kaga wrote:Although I always thought the Jetsons was the best at not just directly ripping off some previous sitcom.


Dinna they just a rip-off a the Flintstones?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:41 pm
by Chairman Kaga
DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:Although I always thought the Jetsons was the best at not just directly ripping off some previous sitcom.


Dinna they just a rip-off a the Flintstones?

I don't think so....No kids until Pebbles as a baby on the Flintstones (while the Jetsons had a teen daughter and a young son from the start), Fred's boss didn't fire and then rehire him every week, George didn't hang out with a buddy like Barney doing get rich quick schemes (Same with Jane she didn't have a best freind like Betty), Fred wasn't always spying on or being wooed away from the Gravel Pit by a competitor like Cogswell, George didn't belong to something like the Waterbuffalos. While the dynamic of the Flintstones was obviously like the Honeymooners the Jetsons seems too different. I just can't think of a show that the Jetsons was a direct rip from either.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:45 pm
by DinoDeLaurentiis
Yeah, you make a the good points, eh? You prolly right.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:11 pm
by sleepflower
Was scooby doo a take on anything?

Apart from top cat and bilko, I never really got the link, mainly as the US shows werent so big over in the UK, yet all the cartoons were huge.

You guys get much Danger Mouse? Pissed all over mighty mouse.

Penfold with a sutcase of boiled eggs anyone?

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:12 pm
by Chairman Kaga
I loved Danger Mouse though I haven't seen it in years.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:31 pm
by Bob Samonkey
I own the DVD's and I gotta say it is still silly fun

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:38 pm
by Brocktune
buster00 wrote:JUST a Get Smart cartoon, Shane?

Was The Flintsones JUST a Honeymooners cartoon?

Was Top Cat JUST a Phil Silvers cartoon?

Was The Jetsons JUST a Flintstones cartoon?

....That's what I THOUGHT you'd say.


well its good to know that somebody else sees right through hannah-barbera's cheap chicanery like a greasy paper bag too. cheap bastards.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:12 pm
by Coldfire24
What was Yogi bear compared to?

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:28 pm
by Chilli
Coldfire24 wrote:What was Yogi bear compared to?


Babe Ruth

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:35 pm
by Bob Samonkey
Chilli wrote:
Coldfire24 wrote:What was Yogi bear compared to?


Babe Ruth


Image

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:52 pm
by Cpt Kirks 2pay
"Could someone please explain Inspector Gadget's deal to me?"

Well as far as I know, Mathew Broderick got like 6 million dollars to play him, and 4% of royalties from the film's earnings. This is calculated on how big Broderick is as a box office draw and how big they expected the film to open under his name. Does this help explain the deal to you?

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:58 pm
by Chilli
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:"Could someone please explain Inspector Gadget's deal to me?"

Well as far as I know, Mathew Broderick got like 6 million dollars to play him, and 4% of royalties from the film's earnings. This is calculated on how big Broderick is as a box office draw and how big they expected the film to open under his name. Does this help explain the deal to you?


He can buy a lot of hay with that money. Hay that can... :shock:

I nearly went to a bad place.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:04 pm
by Cpt Kirks 2pay
Chilli wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:"Could someone please explain Inspector Gadget's deal to me?"

Well as far as I know, Mathew Broderick got like 6 million dollars to play him, and 4% of royalties from the film's earnings. This is calculated on how big Broderick is as a box office draw and how big they expected the film to open under his name. Does this help explain the deal to you?


He can buy a lot of hay with that money. Hay that can... :shock:

I nearly went to a bad place.


I... don't get it?

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:08 pm
by Chilli
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Chilli wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:"Could someone please explain Inspector Gadget's deal to me?"

Well as far as I know, Mathew Broderick got like 6 million dollars to play him, and 4% of royalties from the film's earnings. This is calculated on how big Broderick is as a box office draw and how big they expected the film to open under his name. Does this help explain the deal to you?


He can buy a lot of hay with that money. Hay that can... :shock:

I nearly went to a bad place.


I... don't get it?


Its a whole strange joke where I implied in a thread that Sarah Jessica Parker's Grandmother was a horse..

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:11 pm
by Cpt Kirks 2pay
Well then her Grandfather must've been a moose then, as you know SJP is categorised as a Moose too. Logicly I would've thought that one of her grandparents must be another form of species as well then, seeing as Sarah Jessica Parker does simply fall into another category of 'Ugly Fucking Trollop'!!

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:28 pm
by Chairman Kaga
Coldfire24 wrote:What was Yogi bear compared to?

The Comedian Art Carney.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 6:44 pm
by Bean
I lol'ed at this on Wikipedia:
Inspector Gadget was apparently employed by the Metro City police department, and most episodes either took place or began somewhere in Metro City. However, his missions would often take him to a different exotic locale, generally without giving any explanation as to how a crime on the other side of the earth was of any interest to the Metro City police.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:00 pm
by Chilli
Bean wrote:I lol'ed at this on Wikipedia:
Inspector Gadget was apparently employed by the Metro City police department, and most episodes either took place or began somewhere in Metro City. However, his missions would often take him to a different exotic locale, generally without giving any explanation as to how a crime on the other side of the earth was of any interest to the Metro City police.


LMAO

MCPD motherfucker.