Renaissance is Useless...

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Renaissance is Useless...

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:25 pm

all thanks to the good folks at Twitch

Christian Volckman's Renaissance has the depth to match with the absolutely stunning images then we could be looking at the world's next major piece of sci-fi animation. This thing is positively jaw dropping, people.
It's set in Paris, 2054, and falls neatly into the fusion of sci-fi and noir that has been attempted surprisingly seldom since Bladerunner...

Here's a link to the films official website...http://www.renaissance-lefilm.com/accueil.htm where you can view the trailer.

Lazy fucks who don't want to check out the main site can view it HERE

Sin City meets Alphaville, with a dash of the supernatural?

whatever, the trailer looks fabulous. French speakers, can I get some translations?
Last edited by Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:17 pm

*cough* Pacino *cough*

I know you parlez vous, help a hermano out here, would ya. IT'S YOUR DAMN FORUM!!!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:47 am

HHaha, I only just saw this. Ok, my job is easy with this one, as there isn't much said:

"Health, beauty, longevity, Avalon! We are by your side for your entire life."

I'm like a total animation retard, anyways. I have to catch up on what's hot these days.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:58 am

The French, they get overlooked onna their contributions to a the science fiction genre, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby jgraphix on Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:05 am

I saw Immortal and it was OK...not really the greatest contribution to french sci fi but interesting nonetheless.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:08 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:The French, they get overlooked onna their contributions to a the science fiction genre, no?

I've been thinking of starting a French comics thread, since a lot of the modern classics from "Humanoides Associes" are being translated to English, and published by DC Comics if I'm not mistaken.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Brocktune on Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:01 pm

too bad it doesnt take place in robo france 29.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:18 pm

ok, just watched the trailer. wow. im sure this wont get a very wide release here in the states. but if it comes to one of our local art houses, im all over it.
i still have yet to see alphaville. its been on my netflix queue for a long time. but as my list keeps getting longer, no matter how many fucking movies i see, it can become really difficult to get it done. time to move it to the top.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby dimasok on Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:32 am

Teaser here (not sure if it's the same one, but if it is, then a direct link is an addition to the original post):
http://quicktime.allocine.fr/nmedia/18/35/79/24/18410789_fa2_h.mov

Here're some slides to give u an idea of the style:
dimasok
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby John-Locke on Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:39 am

Thanks dimasok, I missed this thread completely first time around, downloading the trailer as I type this, looks very nice.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Shane on Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:25 am

looks cool, would be cooler if I understood it.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:34 am

I translated it above, Shane. This is where reading previous posts comes in handy... :wink:
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:53 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:The French, they get overlooked onna their contributions to a the science fiction genre, no?

Quite deliberately, to be fair.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:59 am

Pacino86845 wrote:I translated it above, Shane. This is where reading previous posts comes in handy... :wink:

I saw,

I think I was trying to get to the point of I won't see it if It's not at least sub titled. But with anime I'd rather get and english dub.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Shane on Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:00 am

Doc Holliday wrote:

Quite deliberately, to be fair.

French films don't get enougf credit period. One of my all time favorite films is City of lost Children, and that was french. |But as to wether it was sci-fi or fantasy I don't quite know.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:01 am

I expect that sub-titled and dubbed versions will be released... it seems to me as though this hasn't even been released in France yet, so it'll take a few more months at least before we see an English-language preview.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Peven on Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:38 am

i dig the looks of this. something out of the ordinary; creative, imaginative story-telling. i like to see examples of film treated as an art form, when creators try new visual, audio, editing, etc. techniques, treating cinema as the ultimate expressive art form it has the potential to be.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:35 am

Wow those caps are wicked (note I am running out of adjectives). Thanks for the heads up on this project.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Evil Hobbit on Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:32 pm

This film looks extremely cool. I stumbled on this great article at animation world magazine. They chatter all about the making off the project and the technology.

Here's a little quote about the plot:

Renaissance is a futuristic animated thriller that’s filmed in motion capture, animated in 3D and rendered in flat black and white. In the year 2054 in Paris, police and the Avalon Corp. are trying to find a kidnapped researcher who holds knowledge that can transform the future of the human species altogether.

And another quote:

[quote]
Disney took the plunge, “It’s the first time that Disney pre-purchased a French film based on a script and a pilot,â€
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby unikrunk on Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:25 pm

I am in - this looks great. US release info?
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:20 pm

So should we consider this as a cool sci-fi knock off of Sin City, or something original? Because the first thing I thought when I saw it was "Sin City."
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:49 am

The article says this film was long in development before sin city. But of course every gritty black and white noir (animated) film will now be compared to sin city.

Dunno when it comes out in the UK, or US. But the French release dat is 15 March. I live in the Netherlands and we get it the 27th of April. 8)
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:33 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:I expect that sub-titled and dubbed versions will be released... it seems to me as though this hasn't even been released in France yet, so it'll take a few more months at least before we see an English-language preview.

I think they're just going to dub it...

shitty fucking Flash, but wow, badass.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:50 am

It got a very lukewarm response here in Europe... so much so that I couldn't be bothered to see it when it was in the cinema. I flipped through the comic adaptation and though it looks nice, the story seems to be a cross between Catwoman and Sin City (cosmetics company is the bad guy as per Catwoman, and the visuals as per Sin City).
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Al Shut on Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:26 pm

You use Europe in a very broad sense, no release in sight here in Germany.

But I will try to see it at the Fantasy Filmfest in August.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:33 am

Just watched the trailer for this at apple which you can view here and boy does it look awesome.

It looks like the release date here in the states is September 22nd...can't wait.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby raasnio on Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:57 pm

It seemed interesting until I saw the trailer. I can't remember when I watched the trailer, but it was probably a couple of weeks ago.

I can't stand the animation. Why not just make a movie? Or make the animation look good?

It's a matter of taste, I guess.
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:06 pm

raasnio wrote:Or make the animation look good?
It's a matter of taste, I guess.

wow, taste is subjective now :P ?
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby mistertim on Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:55 pm

Just got back from seeing it (London Zoners - it's on at Covent Garden) and it has to be one of my favorite films of the year, and I'm fairly confident it'll stand the test of time and go on to be a favorite, period.

The art direction is more 'Metropolis' than 'Sin City' if you look past the black and white rotoscoping, and believe me, it looks stunning. The story is awesome, gripping and thought provoking, the futuristic setting is a great twist on the usual elements of the noir-thriller genre.

Also, I was in two minds about seeing an english language dub - but the french version isn't on release. However, this really didn't turn out to be an issue at all. Daniel Craig, Ian Holm, Jonathan Pryce et al do a stunning job with the English script, and it doesn't detract from the film in the slightest.

If you can, please, please do go see this film!!!!
"That's why they sent me I am an expert."
mistertim
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:08 pm

Holy dystopia, PhillipKDickMan! This looks f*ckin' fantastic!!!

I love the high conrtast black and white! Reminds me of those
KMFDM videos / CD covers.

This one is definately goin' on the list of must sees (still haven't gotten to
see A SCANNER DARKLY yet, though... dang!)
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:32 pm

I'm not all that impressed with the tendency towards Mocap (technically not animation, even if it may appear so or have "touch up" work done on it), although it does have its place. Certainly in transferring works where concepts can be too oblique to grasp in film it has its place, as this and Scanner Darkly shows. I'm looking forward to this, even if it... to me, at least... doesn't QUITE work. Scanners 24 minutes showcased something uniquely at ease with the material, the b/w styling of this sits uncomfortably between 3D and 2D. But that's me.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:49 pm

they showed a trailer for it at comiccon, that was in english!. im even more keen to see it now.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:56 am

mistertim wrote:Just got back from seeing it (London Zoners - it's on at Covent Garden) and it has to be one of my favorite films of the year, and I'm fairly confident it'll stand the test of time and go on to be a favorite, period.

The art direction is more 'Metropolis' than 'Sin City' if you look past the black and white rotoscoping, and believe me, it looks stunning. The story is awesome, gripping and thought provoking, the futuristic setting is a great twist on the usual elements of the noir-thriller genre.

Also, I was in two minds about seeing an english language dub - but the french version isn't on release. However, this really didn't turn out to be an issue at all. Daniel Craig, Ian Holm, Jonathan Pryce et al do a stunning job with the English script, and it doesn't detract from the film in the slightest.

If you can, please, please do go see this film!!!!

will do.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:21 pm

BUMP/Continued from the PEFUME thread, so Havoc can review it later...

havocSchultz wrote:So I rented Renaissance instead...

prepare for disappointment. Even playing spot the reference to far superior sci-fi films (BLADE RUNNER, GHOST IN THE SHELL, BRAZIL spring immediately to mind) gets boring after a while, as the laughably inept dialogue and wildly vacillating characterization makes you wish they spent as much time on the script as they did on the visuals.

I would've thunk a b & w, ani-tech-noir-mation could at least keep me vested, but there's no excusing the stupidity and redundancy of RENAISSANCE.

but I would love to hear Kaga & other technophiles break down the rotoscoping/animation aspect of it, 'cuz at times it was simply breathtaking.

but so, so dumb.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:28 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:BUMP/Continued from the PEFUME thread, so Havoc can review it later...

havocSchultz wrote:So I rented Renaissance instead...

prepare for disappointment. Even playing spot the reference to far superior sci-fi films (BLADE RUNNER, GHOST IN THE SHELL, BRAZIL spring immediately to mind) gets boring after a while, as the laughably inept dialogue and wildly vacillating characterization makes you wish they spent as much time on the script as they did on the visuals.

I would've thunk a b & w, ani-tech-noir-mation could at least keep me vested, but there's no excusing the stupidity and redundancy of RENAISSANCE.

but I would love to hear Kaga & other technophiles break down the rotoscoping/animation aspect of it, 'cuz at times it was simply breathtaking.

but so, so dumb.

Love the animation but the movie was so dumb and predictable. Honestly thtough I did forget the inanity of the entire proceedings while watching the breathtaking high contrast animation. It was only in retrospect i realized what i watched should cause brain rot.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:32 pm

Hahaha...

Thnx for the bump ButtCare...

You guys summed it up pretty well...

While my high lasted - it was fairly enjoyable...

But moreso just from the visuals - and then halfway through I realized I hadn't paid much attention to anything else happening - so I was even more lost...

I'll probably write up a few more thoughts in the next day or so - but - either way - it was beautiful - but I kept finding myself wanting/wondering/dreaming of how much cooler and what-not it would look in a full, lush, color...

But who knows...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby DrGonzo on Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:05 pm

For one, I thought this was simply amazing. The only knock I had with it was the story took too long in getting started for the first 20 minutes or so. Perhaps I was the same way as havo because I was focused on the amazing visuals so much, but I still thought the story had a cool futuristic Phillip K. Dick sort of feel to it, which was enhanced (perhaps too much) by the visuals.

I do know that the visuals weren't really rotoscoping.... not really. I watched the feature and it said that they used standard animation, motion-capture and CGI all kinda blended together and such. I suppose technically it might be considered rotoscoping because they're animating over an actual person's actions, but it really doesn't look like rotoscoping, at least from what we've seen from Scanner Darkly or Waking Life.

I just think this rocked, plain and simple.
DrGonzo
GLIB

Return to Animation