Donald Duck

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Donald Duck

Postby Shane on Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:58 pm

http://goofy313g.free.fr/calisota_online/t...ucktreebig.html

now that link shows someone had too much time on their hands.

I used to watch ducktales and liked it, but how much of this is from that and where?

and who checks Disney continuity?

MOD - Fixed your link --Pacino
Last edited by Shane on Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Shane on Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:01 pm

is that link working?
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:02 pm

no, link no work

is this what you were talking about? (random guess)
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:51 pm

no this one was way more vast, I found the link here.

http://www.maroonx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic= 210

see if that link works, it's the link on the first post.

but that one was close.

damnit that link don't work either. |I give up.

someone delete this thread.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:03 pm

Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby Brocktune on Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:07 pm

thats the one
i thought i found that one a couple of days ago through mark evaniers blog, but then i went back to look fo it, and couldnt find it anymore (probably due to the fact that i am stupid). so i posted that link to that other one. good work, dude.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:12 pm

yeah you saved the day!!!!
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:38 am

The Duck family is awesome. I just love love love the Don Rosa Scrooge stories.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:53 am

This only proves my long standing theory that Huey, Duey and Luey are complete bastards.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby kortanaskew on Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:10 pm

used to watch ducktales and liked it, but how much of this is from that and where?

Very little of it is from Ducktales. Only some of the catoon absed characters are on this tree.
While the Carl Barks stories surely inspired Ducktales. It's not like they used every bit of info on the show and a lot of the times it was changed from the comics.

the Life And Times of Scrooge McDuck by Don Rosa is like one of the best graphic novels I read last year. It had me glued to my seat. Not every comci has to be about treacherous superheroes and rapist super villains.

This only proves my long standing theory that Huey, Duey and Luey are complete bastards

Especially since there seems to be a dispute somewhere that they are Daisy's nephews and not Donald's.
kortanaskew
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Shane on Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:29 pm

The life and times of scrooge McDuck?

What is that?

What's it about?
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby kortanaskew on Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:31 pm

Shane wrote:The life and times of scrooge McDuck?

What is that?

What's it about?

Sorry it took em so long to respond Shane.

Most of the Great Duck Stories were drawn and written by Carl Barks. Many of these would later become the basis for the Ducktales cartoon. Minus Donald of course. Cause no one could listen to him Quack on for a whole half hour. So they ahd to send him away. But in the comcis he was Scrooge's righthand man. He and the boys were in EVERY Uncle Scrooge issue. And he had his own regular series that had been running even longer, but this was mainly slapstick comedy. The Uncle Scrooge stories were Indiana Jones adventures but with Ducks. And theyve been runing since the 40's. Now whenever they had any sort of adventure. Scrooge would say. Well this reminds me of the Time.. Or I remember When..

Well Don Rosa is guy that many people consider to be the sucessor to Carl Barks, He decided to fill in those blanks and create a back story for Uncle Scrooge that made sense of all those tidbits Carl barks had simply thrown out there. And thus The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck came to pass. It tells of all the adventures he had before he became the Worlds Richest Duck. From how he got his first dime, to the first time he tussled with the beagle Boys.

While the Carl Barks Duck collections are incredibly overpriced and out of print. This Don Rosa TPB is just right, It's practically a steal at 11 bucks for 212 pages.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0911903968/103-2294123-5731836?v=glance&n=283155

Any Ducktales fan should get this. It a starter to the Carl Barks comics and it would open their eyes to a world beyond the show. Something that was definitely superior.

Compare it to watching the TMNT cartoon versus reading the Mirage comics.

Also it's interesting to note that the DUCK comics from the 40's weren;t the only quality Disney books being put out. There were also great Mickey Mouse tales being told that were the great film noir type crime mysteries. Mickey vs. The Phantom Blot. A criminal mastermind who would often put Mickey in life-threatening situations you weren't sure he was gonna get out of.

Unfortunately you'd never see anything like that in an actual Disney show starring Mickey.

Info on the Phantom Blot
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_Blot

Here's more info on The Life And Times of Scrooge Mcduck

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Life_and_Times_of_Scrooge_McDuck

kortanaskew
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:36 pm

Surely... being a family tree... this shows that cartoon characters procreate?

Doesn't this mean it should be called...

Fucktales?

OK, I'll get my coat.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Donald Duck

Postby TheButcher on Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:38 pm

Comic Book Urban Legends Revealed #133
COMIC URBAN LEGEND: The rolling boulder scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark was an homage to a Carl Barks’ Uncle Scrooge comic.

The fact that George Lucas and Stephen Spielberg’s Indiana Jones was at least partially inspired by Carl Barks’ classic Uncle Scrooge comics is fairly evident, as Indiana Jones’ globe-trotting searches for lost artifacts are extremely similar to Uncle Scrooge’s similar trips (along with his nephew Donald and his other nephews, Huey, Dewey and Louie). This fact was made quite clear when George Lucas wrote the introduction to the 1980’s collection of Carl Barks’ comics, Walt Disney’s Uncle Scrooge McDuck: His Life and Times, and spoke directly about the influence (as an aside - it is quite silly that that collection is out of print. Amazon is currently selling the PAPERBACK edition of the collection for a LOW price of $114!! If you want to see this baby back in print, please contact Celestial Arts here).

A oft-repeated story that is quite a deal less evident is that Lucas and Spielberg’s famous rolling boulder scene in Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark was an homage to a Carl Barks’ comic story.

Reader Jamie Coville (of Coville’s Clubhouse fame) asked me about the legend recently. Coville asked:

Here is an urban legend I’ve yet to see any confirmation of.

In Raiders of the Lost Ark there is the famous rolling ball scene. Apparently either Spielberg or Lucas was inspired by a Barks’ Uncle Scrooge story showing the same thing.

The Barks scene in question is from “The Seven Cities of Cibola,” from Uncle Scrooge #7, where the Beagle Boys, just like Indiana Jones, removed an idol that is on a pedestal, tripping a lever that sets off a trap that releases a giant boulder down upon them.

This homage is quite often passed off as an undisputed fact. Heck, noted Barks historian, Geoffrey Blum says of the homage - ” Every reviewer worth his salt knows of this borrowing,” and the homage is cited in Indiana Jones’ Internet Movie Database’s trivia page.

That said, as you can see, while the scene certainly bears a resemblance to the famous rolling boulder scene in the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark, it is not really a straight reproduction by any measure, so it is surprising that histories of Barks keep referring to it as though it is explicit, never with an actual source from Lucas or Spielberg. It is just “a given.” And, as Coville quite rightly points out, it really does not seem to be confirmed anywhere, just a lot of presumptions.

Luckily, I was able to contact Edward Summer, noted writer, filmmaker and journalist, who put together the aforementioned Barks collection, Walt Disney’s Uncle Scrooge McDuck: His Life and Times, the one with with the Lucas introduction.

Summer told me that he had been friends with Lucas for some time before Indiana Jones came out, and Lucas was definitely a fan of Barks’ work, but as to the specific scene, Summer recounted to me an incident that occurred while he was putting the book together (the comics were all specially prepared for the collection, including being recolored). Summer spoke with Lucas, and at the time, the specific comic that was being prepared for the book was “The Seven Cities of Cibola,” and Lucas told Summer plainly that yes, the boulder scene in Raider of the Lost Ark was a conscious homage of “The Seven Cities of Cibola.”

I would certainly say that Summer is a reliable source of information, being the editor of the collection and a contemporary of Lucas, so it is quite gratifying to be able to give you fine readers an actual confirmation that yes, the rolling boulder scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark was an homage of a Carl Barks’ Uncle Scrooge comic book.

Thanks to Jamie Coville for the question, and thanks so much to Edward Summer for taking the time to supply me with the confirmation of the legend.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:42 am

Fantagraphics Confirms Don Rosa ‘Donald Duck & Uncle Scrooge’ Collections
Chris Sims wrote:Fantagraphics‘ reprints of the classic Carl Barks and Floyd Gottfredson Disney stories are some of my favorite things in comics today, so when eagle-eyed fans noticed that a new line had been added for pre-order on Amazon, I got pretty excited. Now, Fantagraphics has confirmed that next summer, they’ll be publishing a series of hardcovers bringing the Duck stories by Don Rosa to America for the first time in a series of Don Rosa Library hardcovers.

Rosa is undoubtedly best known as the creator of the Eisner-winning Life & Times of Scrooge McDuck, a series of “Uncle $crooge” comics that pieced together all the history Carl Barks established into one epic origin story. As good as it is, though — and it’s a favorite — it’s only a small part of what Rosa did in twenty years as the leading creator behind Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge comics, which were primarily published in Europe. With Rosa’s retirement from comics earlier this year, it looks like a complete collection of his work is both possible and actually happening.

ComicsAlliance asked Fantagraphics publisher Gary Groth about adding Rosa to a line that already includes Barks and Gottfredson, and he mentioned the publisher’s longstanding relationship with the venerable cartoonist:

“I think I published Don in my fanzines when I was 15 or 16 years old; in 1981, Fantagraphics published Don Rosa’s Comics & Stories in two volumes, collecting his fan-drawn Pertwillaby Papers, and we even later serialized his ‘serious’ fantasy strip, Tagdenah in The Comics Journal. So, I’ve not only published him but counted him as a friend for over 40 years now! Little did I know that he would go on to become amazingly successful writing and drawing the adventures of Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge for so many years. We have a long publishing history together, and I can’t help but feel some wildly great karma’s involved in my publishing his magnum opus now.”

David Gerstein, the editor of the project, had this to say about his reasons for doing a full collection of Rosa’s work:

“The demand: Don’s duck stories are super-popular among modern comics fans, to the point where we’re asked about them all the time. So what’s so memorable? It might be the stories’ angstful moments, their snarky wit, the painstaking continuity from story to story, or the expansive (and often hilarious!) detail in the art. Or maybe it’s all four; comics fans all over the world can’t get enough of this stuff.

The quality: not only do fans love these aspects of Don’s work – so do Gary Groth and I, so we’ll personally stand behind the ducky goodness of all this.

The Barks references: well, it’s my feeling that Barks and Rosa can each stand on their own. Barks is his own man, and a great man. Rosa, meanwhile, while obviously picking up some plotlines where Barks left off, adds his own very unique twists. For instance, Don doesn’t *just* revisit Plain Awful, Barks’ lost land of square eggs from “Lost in the Andes.” Instead, Don picks up on Barks’ point that the Awfultonian citizens – mostly cut off from our world – are fanatically admiring of any outside culture they can get. This gives Donald, Scrooge, and Flintheart Glomgold the opportunity to influence an entire society with their behavior. What would you do with that kind of power? So… while starting out to craft a Barks sequel, Rosa takes the plot in his own, very funny direction.

And of course, not all of Rosa’s stories are sequels. Ever hear about the time Scrooge seceded from the USA and declared his money bin a separate nation? Or the day Magica De Spell turned gravity sideways? No Barks inspiration here – but still just as inspired.

In countries where humor comics define the genre, especially in northern Europe, Don gets mobbed at comic conventions, with limitless lines swarming up to his table. Here, where funny animals aren’t as white-hot, Rosa Ducks aren’t quite as well-known – but they’re enough of a best-kept secret that Don’s “Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck” sold upwards of 30,000 copies in 2005.

Why don’t we let that secret out a little more? We owe it to Don’s fans… and Don himself.”

The Don Rosa Library kicks off next summer with The Son of the Sun.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Life And Times Of Scrooge McDuck

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:51 am

NIGHTWISH's TUOMAS HOLOPAINEN: 'Life And Times Of Scrooge' Solo Album Track Listing Revealed

Tuomas Holopainen — the keyboardist and main songwriter of NIGHTWISH — has spent most of 2013 writing and producing his solo album based on a graphic novel called "The Life And Times Of Scrooge McDuck", written and illustrated by Don Rosa.

"Music Inspired By The Life And Times Of Scrooge - Written And Produced By Tuomas Holopainen" is scheduled for a release this spring via Nuclear Blast.

Holopainen comments: "This is my longtime dream come true, 14 years in the making. And a homage to one of the best storytellers of our time.

"Thank you for sharing this celebration of life and adventure!"

This 12-chapter book tells the life story of Scrooge, from his early years in the 19th century Scotland to his adventures all around the world until the 1950s. The story contains such immense depth, detail, wit and emotional power that the moment Tuomas read it nearly 20 years ago, it instantly became a story of profound personal interest and love for him. The initial spark of "coloring" this story with music, i.e. creating a kind of "soundtrack" for the book, came to him already in 1999, and has ever since haunted the back of his mind.

"Music Inspired By The Life And Times Of Scrooge - Written And Produced By Tuomas Holopainen" contains 10 songs, with total duration of approximately 60 minutes. The music is said to be in the soundtrack / classical / folk genre in the vein of Vaughan Williams, Michael Nyman, James Newton Howard and Enya.

Pip Williams did the orchestral arrangements for the "Life And Times Of Scrooge" disc, continuing his collaboration with Tuomas after the NIGHTWISH records "Once", "Dark Passion Play" and "Imaginaerum".

There are a number of guest musicians appearing on "Life And Times Of Scrooge", including the London Orchestra, The Metro Voices (a choir from London) and four lead vocalists: Alan Reid, Johanna Kurkela, Johanna Iivanainen and Tony Kakko. Other guest appearances include Troy Donockley (uilleann pipes, low whistles, bodhran), Mikko Iivanainen (guitars and banjo), Teho Majamäki (didgeridoo), Jon Burr (harmonica) and Dermot Crehan on the solo violin.

The recordings took place during August - October 2013, first at Angel Studios in London, then in various locations around Scotland and Finland.

The author of the book, Don Rosa, did the artwork for the album.

There will be a single release, for the track "A Lifetime Of Adventure", and a music video to go with it.

Holopainen recently spoke to Finland's YLE about "Music Inspired By The Life And Times Of Scrooge - Written And Produced By Tuomas Holopainen". Check out the report below.

Tuomas previously stated about how the idea for the project came about: "It was back in 1999, during the 'Oceanborn' tour, that I remember first having the idea of writing a 'soundtrack' to my all-time favorite piece of Disney comic, 'The Life And Times Of Scrooge McDuck', by Don Rosa, the apparent heir of the almighty Carl Barks. This book has had such an overwhelming effect on me throughout these years, and finally I have the means and the time to make that dream a reality.

"It all started with a story called 'Last Sled To Dawson', which was published in a Finnish Donald Duck magazine in the late '80s. It instantly became one of my favorite Scrooge/Donald stories and also introduced Mr. Don Rosa to my Disney universe. This story is not part of the actual 'Life And Times' opus, though, but 'a companion story,' set in between the chapters #8 and #9. Then when the massive 12-chapter piece was released in mid-'90s, I was completely and utterly hooked. It was similar to reading 'The Lord Of The Rings' as an 8-year-old, or seeing 'Raiders Of The Lost Ark' for the first time. Adventure, fun and the strangely familiar feeling of home.

"With Scrooge, there was also a much deeper level hidden between the stories and the gags.

"This is a book about life itself. What an unfathomable privilege it is, what are the things that truly matter during our existence. It's about the immense beauty of the world and its possibilities seen through the eyes of a very relentless, honest and complex character. It's about love and family, gain and loss, darkness and rebirth.

"And on top of that, well, it's just your good old-fashioned storytelling fun!"

"Music Inspired By The Life And Times Of Scrooge - Written And Produced By Tuomas Holopainen" track listing:

01. Glasgow 1877
02. Into The West
03. Duel & Cloudscapes
04. Dreamtime
05. Cold Heart Of The Klondike
06. The Last Sled
07. Goodbye, Papa
08. To Be Rich
09. A Lifetime Of Adventure
10. Go Slowly Now, Sands Of Time

Bonus track:

11. A Lifetime Of Adventure (Alternate Version)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:56 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:40 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: DuckTales Reboot

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:59 pm

New animated series based on "DuckTales" will launch on Disney XD in 2017
Jim Hill wrote:Yep. An all-new "DuckTales," an animated comedy series based on the Emmy Award-winning series treasured by a generation of viewers, has been ordered for launch in 2017 on Disney XD channels around the world. Set to be produced by Disney Television Animation, this new series will once again feature that feathered tycoon / adventurer Scrooge McDuck, his plucky grandnephews Huey, Dewey and Louie, and -- of course -- "Unca" Donald Duck.

" 'DuckTales' has a special place in Disney's TV animation history, it drew its inspiration from Disney Legend Carl Barks' comic books and through its storytelling and artistic showmanship, set an enduring standard for animated entertainment that connects with both kids and adults," said Marc Buhaj, Senior Vice President, Programming and General Manager, Disney XD. "Our new series will bring that same energy and adventurous spirit to a new generation."

Mind you, Disney's relaunch of this much-beloved Disney Afternoon series wasn't entirely unexpected. Ever since Capcom & Disney Interactive released that "DuckTales Remastered" game back in August of 2013 (Not to mention how Uncle Scrooge's Lucky Dime and Money Bin popped up as pieces of the Disney Infinity universe), there have been whispers that The Walt Disney Company was planning to return to Duckburg.

But today's announcement -- which confirms that not only will Scrooge and his family be back but virtually the entire original "DuckTales" supporting cast (As in: Scrooge's faithful butler, Duckworth; ingenious inventor Gyro Gearloose; crash-prone pilot Launchpad McQuack; Scrooge McDuck's arch-nemesis Flintheart Glomgold; greedy sorceress Magica DeSpell; Ma Beagle and her bumbling brood, the Beagle Boys. Not to mention the nephew's nanny Mrs. Beakley and her granddaughter Webbigail Vanderquack) -- is really more than fans of 1980s-era Disney Television Animation could have ever hoped for.

But as to whether this relaunch of "DuckTales" will be done in hand-drawn animation (which is what the original 100 episodes that Disney Television Animation produced from 1987-90 were done in) or in CG, or whether any of the veteran voice actors who originally voiced Duckburg residents (EX: Alan Young, June Foray, Tony Anselmo and Russi Taylor. To name just a few) will be asked back to return to voice these much-beloved characters for this next set of shows ... Disney Channel officials weren't willing to say. Not yet, anyway.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:35 am

Happy 80th Birthday to Donald Duck
Donald Duck first appeared in the 1934 cartoon The Wise Little Hen which was part of the Silly Symphonies series of theatrical cartoon shorts. The film’s release date of June 9 is officially recognized by the Walt Disney Company as Donald’s birthday.Donald’s appearance in the cartoon, as created by animator Dick Lundy, is similar to his modern look — the feather and beak colors are the same, as is the blue sailor shirt and hat — but his features are more elongated, his body plumper, and his feet smaller. Donald’s personality is not developed either; in the short, he only fills the role of the unhelpful friend from the original story.

Donald Fauntleroy Duck has appeared in more films than any other Disney character, listed as appearing in approximately 178 theatrical films compared to Mickey Mouse’s 137, and is the fifth most published comic book character in the world after Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, and Wolverine.

Donald Duck rose to fame with his comedic roles in animated cartoons. His distinctive voice was created by Clarence Nash, who performed the role for 50 years. It was his second appearance in Orphan’s Benefit which introduced him as a temperamental comic foil to Mickey Mouse. Donald had his own show. Throughout the next two decades Donald appeared in over 150 theatrical films, several of which were recognized at the Academy Awards. In the 1930s he typically appeared as part of a comic trio with Mickey and Goofy and was given his own film series in 1937, starting with Don Donald. These films introduced Donald’s girlfriend Daisy Duck and sometimes featured his three nephews Huey, Dewey, and Louie. After the 1956 film Chips Ahoy, Donald appeared primarily in educational films before eventually returning to theatrical animation in Mickey’s Christmas Carol (1983). His most recent appearance in a theatrical film was 1999’s Fantasia 2000. Donald has also appeared in direct-to-video features such as Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmas (1999) and The Three Musketeers (2004) as well as television programs such as DuckTales (1987–1990), Quack Pack (1996), and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (2006–2013).

21 Jobs Donald Duck Has Attempted
This week marked the 80th anniversary of Donald Duck, pretty much the most temperamental Disney character ever created. In the early days, Donald had an exaggerated waddle because the animators found it difficult, on paper, to distinguish between a duck and a goose—we’re assuming that’s what made him so cranky. But his waddle has never held him back from his ambitions. He’s tried many, many jobs. Somehow, though, nothing ever works out as planned.

Our friends at D23 sent over a list of 23 of Donald’s employment endeavors, (more of which will be celebrated on tour across the U.S. in this year’s D23 Disney Fanniversary Celebration road show, presented by Walt Disney Records The Legacy Collection). So let’s take a look at Donald’s many jobs over the years.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:38 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:11 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:42 am

Jim Hill Media:
Never mind about Christmas in July. Disney Television Animation started working on "Duck the Halls" back in August of 2015

Mickey & Friends Get Holly-Jolly in ‘Duck the Halls’ Christmas Special
Part of the Emmy- and Annie-winning Mickey Mouse cartoon series, Duck the Halls includes cameos by Uncle Scrooge McDuck, nephews Huey, Dewey and Louie, Professor Ludwig Von Drake, Gus Goose and of course, Santa Claus.

Tony Anselmo:
DuckTales (TV Series) (filming) Donald Duck (2017) (voice)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:53 pm

DISNEY XD RENEWS DUCKTALES REBOOT
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:46 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Wolfpack on Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:20 pm

TheButcher wrote:

Judging by the look on Donald's face in that second pic it looks like you might find Daisy if you pan the camera down a bit.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Re: Donald Duck 2017

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 19, 2017 1:15 pm

THR MAY 19, 2017 8:00am
Lin-Manuel Miranda Joins Voice Cast of 'DuckTales' Reboot
Kimberly Nordyke wrote:He joins Disney XD's animated series alongside David Tennant, Danny Pudi, Ben Schwartz, Bobby Moynihan and more.
Lin-Manuel Miranda is getting animated.

The Hamilton creator has joined the voice cast of Disney XD's upcoming DuckTales reboot.

Miranda, said to be a "lifelong DuckTales aficionado," will provide the voice of Gizmoduck, who was featured in the original series. Gizmoduck is Duckburg hero whose true identity is Fenton Crackshell-Cabrera, a brilliant young intern working for Scrooge McDuck's personal mad scientist, Gyro Gearloose.

"Lin came to mind instantly for the role of Gizmoduck," executive producer Matt Youngberg said. "His rapid-fire earnestness paired with his wide-eyed yet determined optimism made him the perfect person to yell 'Blathering blatherskite!'"

Added co-producer and story editor Francisco Angone: "Growing up as a Cuban-American comics enthusiast, I was always hungry for a Latino hero to call my own. In developing the new series, Matt and I leapt at the opportunity to adapt DuckTales' marquee hero into a young scientist character with Latin-inspired roots."

Like the original, the new DuckTales will follow the adventures of Scrooge McDuck; his curious and mischief-making grandnephews Huey, Dewey and Louie; the temperamental Donald Duck; and their trustyteam, Webby Vanderquack, Launchpad McQuack and Mrs. Beakley.

Miranda will recur alongside a voice cast that includes David Tennant as Scrooge McDuck; Danny Pudi, Ben Schwartz and Bobby Moynihan as Huey, Dewey and Louie, respectively; Kate Micucci as Webby Vanderquack; Beck Bennett as Launchpad McQuack; and Toks Olagundoye as Mrs. Beakley.

The series, produced by Disney Television Animation, has already been picked up for a second season ahead of its summer premiere.

The casting adds another Disney credit to Miranda's resume. He was nominated for an Oscar for best original song "How Far I'll Go," from the Disney film Moana, and has a role in the studio's upcoming Mary Poppins sequel.

"I'm Mary Poppins, y’all!"
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: DuckTales 1987 vs DuckTales 2017

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:31 am

io9 08/08/2017:
The New DuckTales Is a Perfect Example of How Today's Cartoons Are the Best They've Ever Been
Katharine Trendacosta wrote:Disney XD’s revitalized and rebooted DuckTales is a testament to the staying power of Scrooge McDuck and his nephews Huey, Dewey, and Louie. It’s also a grand showing of how far animation in general has come since 1987.

Comparing the TV movie that serves as the pilot for the new DuckTales to the first few episodes in the 1987 run is an interesting exercise, since the new show lifts the essentials from that story, while still being different enough in the details to be engaging. Scrooge still takes on the role of watching Huey, Dewey, and Louie very reluctantly. They still take to adventuring with gusto. Even a number of the same old villains from the first arc pop up again.

What’s changed a lot is the characterization. The new show’s synthesized the original show with some bits of the comics, while still coming up with its own version of the characters. Mrs. Beakley has gone from her more standard matronly character to a deadpan badass, for example. Webby’s gone from just being “the girl” to someone who is such a fan of Scrooge’s that she’s memorized all his adventures and has spent a fair bit of her life preparing to go on adventures. She’s still very upbeat, but it comes from a place rooted in knowledge. (Launchpad McQuack has regressed to being even weirder than his original incarnation, and he’s so out there it’s kind of amazing.) The biggest changes, however, come in the form of Scrooge McDuck and the nephews.

If you’ve followed Scrooge McDuck from comic book to 1987 cartoon through to now, you’d know that the character has undergone a fair amount of softening. The character’s original introduction was as Donald’s miserly uncle. The 1987 show gave him a hidden heart of gold where his family was concerned but retained Scrooge’s nasty distaste for the poor.

The new reboot has softened Scrooge even more. There are jokes in the original show’s first episode that make it nearly impossible for a modern audience to like him—one of first bits of dialogue is about how the poor don’t deserve anything. The new show focuses a lot more on Scrooge’s history as an adventurer who’s let his passion fall by the wayside, even as he hoards a truly staggering number of dangerous artifacts in his home.

While Scrooge still keeps track of all his money, the cruelty of the original Scrooge is downplayed—thankfully. There’s also a deeper, more interesting rift between Donald Duck and his uncle that the show uses to its advantage. (Donald just kind of drops the kids off at Scrooge’s because he joined he Navy in the original; Donald’s reasons are a lot more fleshed out and tied to the main story in the new show.)

Part of the joke of Huey, Dewey, and Louie was that they were identical and the only thing that separated them was the color of their hats and shirts. That’s extremely not the case in the new show. From the design alone, you can see more work has been made to distinguish the brothers.

Making Huey a planner, Dewey a middle child, and Louie a gung-ho adventurer not only gives them distinct personalities, but also opens up the sibling dynamic in a lot more interesting ways.

DuckTales does all that and still has room for a Scrooge who is “smarter than the smarties and tougher than the toughies” and, of course, does a swan dive into a vault filled with gold. The things no one wanted to change—like the theme song—remain intact, while the things that have changed only add to the show.

Is the 2017 DuckTales as transcendent a piece of animation as, say, Steven Universe or Avatar? No. It’s aimed a very young audience with an added number of references and Easter eggs for the parents who watched the original show to enjoy. But it’s an extremely smart update that knows exactly what to keep and what to change.

And most of all, the new DuckTales is emblematic of the larger trend of children’s animation getting more serialized and more emotionally honest. It’s mostly still made up of jokes and good, fun action, but adopting some of the newer animation trends has made this DuckTales even better than it was before.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Animation