TMNT

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

With 10 being the best and 1 being the worst, how would you rate TMNT?

No votes
10%
40%
20%
10%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
I'm waiting for DVD / TV
10%
No Shredder?! No Krang?! No Beepop?! No Rocksteady?! No F-in' way!
10%

Total votes : 10

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:46 pm

And here it is on You Tube
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:50 pm

After Spider-Man 3 and 300, I'm pretty certain this is the geek movie event of the year for me. As corny as a lot of the jokes are in the trailer, I can't even begin to tell you how excited it makes me to have a new Ninja Turtles movie, and one that looks to have such badass action.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:50 pm

I did laugh at the your mom joke. I will be the first to admit it.....
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:55 pm

I can't wait to see that.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:43 am

John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby colonel_lugz on Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:47 am

hmmmmmm still not convinced. Was hoping for some better action shots
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Phategod1 on Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:22 am

It looks very Kiddyish When the Turtles first came out in the Comic Book they where very dark and it was conveyed well in the First Movie everything else except for the last cartoon Circa 2003-05 has been for the kiddies this seems to be the same and ever since since "Cars" I'm sworn off CGI till Pixar wises up and Give me Icredibles 2.
"I go to the movies to be entertained."A common excuse for enjoying (and admitting to enjoying) SHIT.-President Evil
Phategod1
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:13 pm

John-Locke wrote:NEW TMNT Trailer in HD

Bless you, sir.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Dark Knight on Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:21 pm

I love the pull back shot with one of the turtles in front of a very bright red neon sign. It reminds of something movie wise but I just can't think of it right now
El Wray will find the missing reel, just watch...
Dark Knight
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:17 pm

Pretty solid stuff. I love the animation...reminds me of the Turtles cartoon I grew up on. I will most definitely be there opening day.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:15 pm

I just saw a new TV spot during Veronica Mars. I hate that they are calling it "TMNT". It just sounds so unnatural. Why can't they just call it Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Dark Knight on Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:20 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:I just saw a new TV spot during Veronica Mars. I hate that they are calling it "TMNT". It just sounds so unnatural. Why can't they just call it Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

I've been thinking that too, and esp considering how stupid the general public can be, will people even know what that stands for? I know there's turtles leaping around doing karate but dont underestimate the stupidity of the american public!!!!!
El Wray will find the missing reel, just watch...
Dark Knight
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby tb_fan6780 on Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:23 pm

The CGI effects look pretty good, but I'm wondering how it will fare against 300 and Meet the Robinsons.
tb_fan6780
GLIB

Postby LaDracul on Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:29 pm

Well, if Chris Evans is onboard as Casey Jones, you'll know I'll see it...besides, I liked the cartoon as a kid.

(Irma is talking to a group of sailors when April calls her over.)
Irma: I've been here all this time and I haven't met a single sailor!
April: What? But you were talking to four of them!
Irma: I meant a SINGLE sailor! They were all married!

Though I think the time the Turtles may have jumped the shark was the crossover with Power Rangers. Although you knew it would happen.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:59 pm

When did the Turtles cross over with the Power Rangers? Was that when Haim Saban had that live action show on with the female turtle?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:01 pm

Yep.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:04 am

Does that really count though?

Hey does anyone remember that Turtles live action concert thing? Where they had wireless head set microphones and like sang songs? I would love to see that again.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:17 pm

From the Knowing Your Target Market textbook:

Each of the Turtles has his own MySpace.

Let me know how they are. Can't be arsed.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:08 pm

Thank GOD they gave Michaelangelo back his numchucks. I was so pissed off when they took them bad boys away and gave him a turtle shell with a string on it. In the second movie they tried to pretend he had them by giving him some sausage links to beat up street toughs with.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby tfactor on Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:53 pm

holly hell!!! sorry if this was posted already but had to share and limited time available
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:39 pm

cool tfactor.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:47 pm

I liked the Morpheus voice-over at the beginning. Wonder how much money they had to pay for his services.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:38 pm

Well he's the film's narrator so I assume they don't pay him extra for the behind the scenes bits.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:41 pm

Oh, he is?

B'oh... :oops:
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:37 pm

TMNT comes out tomorrow! Yay!

I'll be out of town seeing an ill family member this weekend, so I won't be able to see it until next week at the earliest. Anyone else waiting with (genuinely) baited breath?

It's getting a pretty awful 17% on the Tomatometer, but that's only with twelve reviews thus far. Hopefully, it'll do better.

Not gonna lie, I hope this movie rocks hard.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:10 pm

As a CG animator and a TMNT fan I can't wait. If nothing else it looks far better than any of the previous films. To me the only really good incarnation (outside of the comics) was the recent Film Roman version that ended a few years ago when they went into the future. The old cartoon, though I grew up on it, is awful.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:03 am

The poor old UK Zoners have refused to see it with 300.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:18 am

Hey, hey hey.... who said that fried?? I might be keen. I LOVED the TMNT when I was a kid.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:24 am

30 reviews now up on RT... TMNT moves up slightly to 27% freshness rating... too bad, I was hoping this would be good.

Some favorite blurbs:

the story appears to have been made up as the filmmakers went along.

And how does this work for an animated film exactly?

the movie attempts to look polished and 'cool,' but the been-there animation can't compete with the then-cutting-edge puppetry of the 1990 live-action movie.

Ah, there's the problem: TOO SOON!!!!

Unlikely to achieve BFF status with the MMORPG set, this CGI feature is light on the LOL factor, heavy on the ADD action scenes, and, like, TOOIFM

OMG WTF?

The rubber suits are gone and they've been redone with fancy computer generated technology

Rubber suits made with "fancy computer generated technology"? The computer made the technology which was used to make rubber suits?

And for the UKers (re: Fried Gold's post above):
300 for kindergarteners
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:29 am

I spit on Rotten Tomatoes grave.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:31 am

Fried Gold wrote:I spit on Rotten Tomatoes grave.

HAHAHAAHHAHAHA ME TOO!!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:32 am

In all seriousness, I think this review snippet probably sums it up:

.....kids might like this product; but I warn all 20-30 years old who have fond childhood memories of the turtles to save their money for something else at the cinema. This mediocre unsatisfying excuse of a plot vaguely catches that old, nostalgic we all remember feeling when we were young.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:05 am

And what did we expect it to be like?
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:22 am

Exactly.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:54 pm

Shocking! It's a kids movie....Wait I mean Not shocking.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

TMNT

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:33 am

Just got back from seeing this.

Pleasently suprised!

I was a whore for TMNT growing up and I even got into watching the NEW cartoon that was on FOX not long ago (which btw was really good)

This movis plays along the lines of the new show and is very good.

The story is simple, but then again what turtles story isnt.

No spitting on the memory of a beloved show here. The charecters are all about the same as they were in the sows/ comics. The CGI is very nice. The movie paces along very fast and there isnt a slow moment.

Its not to kiddy, but its also not a full out "ADULT" fare. It strikes a nice balance.

I'll be seeing it again tomarrow and recommend that anyone who was a fan see thsi.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Flumm on Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:54 pm

[quote="Morarity did"]

[size=84]Y’know, I don’t buy into the idea that a film is only good or enjoyable if you’re already sold on a property. I’m perfectly indifferent to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as an overall property. I read the black-and-white original run of the comics (thanks to the insistence of my buddy Bill Rosemann, the biggest comics nerd I knew), and I enjoyed them as a goof on the world of Marvel, and DAREDEVIL and the various X books in particular. But I thought the live-action films were sort of disastrously weird. Yes, even the first one. And I had no interest at all in the animated series. Walking into the new feature film opening this weekend, I just wanted to see a film that was entertaining on its own, one that worked (or didn’t) no matter what my feelings were about the series overall.

Hats off, then, to director Kevin Munroe for making a film that somehow manages to pay tribute to the earlier films in the series and also invite in new viewers with no muss or fuss. I’ll be the first to admit that I watch films through a new prism now that I’m a parent, and I do think about how something is sold and whether it’s appropriate for young viewers or not. I’ve still got a few years before Toshi really starts watching films. For now, he seems content with watching PEE WEE’S PLAYHOUSE on DVD on endless repeat. But when he is ready to see films, then a film like this is perfect for him. It’s exciting, but it’s not violent. It’s a little scary, but it’s not gory. It’s funny, but it’s not so broad that an adult will feel punished for sitting through it. This is the exact definition of what a family film should be: it’s got a little something for everyone, and it doesn’t exclude any part of the audience.

For those who are unfamiliar with the basic premise, TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES is the story of four turtles who were exposed to something that turned them into mutants. They were trained by a rat named Splinter to be ninjas, and then they embarked on a career of fighting crime in New York while also hiding the truth about their identities. Basic superhero archetypes, but with tongue firmly in cheek. There are a few key human characters, like reporter April O’Neil or vigilante Casey Jones, but the emphasis has always been squarely on the family relationship between the four turtles, and that’s what Munroe has wisely chosen to focus on.

In fact, if I have any complaint about the film, it’s that the main plot falls into place a little too easily. There are thirteen monsters that have to be assembled, and they all sort of happen to show up at the exact right time and place to make things simple. Then again, that’s not really the most interesting part of the film. Instead, Munroe made the choice to split the Turtles up at the start of the film. Leonardo’s been sent on a mission to learn how to lead his brothers better, leaving the other three to fend for themselves in his absence. Donatello has become a customer support guy over the phone for computer repair, Michelangelo’s resorted to performing at birthday parties dressed up in a cheesy fake turtle head, and Raphael has taken up a new disguise so he can continue to fight crime every night. When Leo does finally return, everything’s set in motion for what eventually becomes the key scene in the film: Leonardo’s showdown against Raphael, his own brother. I may not be a raving TMNT fan, but I can respect that the reason this series works for fans is because they invest in the dynamic between these characters, and the Leo/Raph thing has been simmering as long as these characters have been around. Munroe pays that off in a fight scene in the rain that is dynamic and exciting, but which also carries a genuine emotional charge.

The greatest advantage that this film has over the New Line live-action films is simple: energy. I admire the attempt to bring the Turtles to life using martial artists in giant foam rubber outfits, but it’s pretty much silly from start to finish. Jim Henson’s Creature Shop did everything they could to make them work as flesh-and-blood, and it just... doesn’t. The martial arts were always perfunctory at best, and when you’re dealing with ninja superheroes, it seems like that should be a priority. Munroe’s team of animators, both American and Korean, have created something that has real kinetic kick, and there are a number of scenes here that convincingly make the argument that this is what Turtles fans have always hoped for but could never see until now. Check out that scene where Mikey skateboards all the way from the surface to the underground hideout. It’s something no live-action director could pull off, and Munroe makes it look effortless.

Voice work in the film is good, and I like the choice to use relative unknowns as the four main characters. It results in the Turtles coming across as unique characters and not just movie stars sitting in some recording booth somewhere. Even the “namesâ€
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MisterCynic on Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:12 am

i thought it was pretty bad. 1 laugh in the whole movie, some decent action but nothing great... meh. i prefer tmnt 2, and that's pretty sad.
MisterCynic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:58 am

But look at your board name....Should we expect anything less?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MisterCynic on Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:58 am

once again, a rose by any other name.

i thought it was a fun flick. if i were 13, i would have loved it. but when i was 13 i loved independence day, so take from that what you will.

the cg looked nice, the monsters were pretty cool, the foot looked like a badass bunch... but i find myself much more interested in a turtles v. foot movie than a turtles v. random monsters #1-4 movie.

and you must admit the script is completely awful... worst handling of exposition i've seen in quite some time.
MisterCynic
STEAK-A-BABY

TMNT

Postby bastard_robo on Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:42 am

MisterCynic wrote:once again, a rose by any other name.

i thought it was a fun flick. if i were 13, i would have loved it. but when i was 13 i loved independence day, so take from that what you will.

the cg looked nice, the monsters were pretty cool, the foot looked like a badass bunch... but i find myself much more interested in a turtles v. foot movie than a turtles v. random monsters #1-4 movie.

and you must admit the script is completely awful... worst handling of exposition i've seen in quite some time.

Dissagree. The script was far, far better than i could of expected it. One must remember that his is a "FAMILY" film. Its basicly in the vain of THE INCREDIBLES... While not as "SUPERIOR" as the Incredibles, its still up there. The script contains a few of the goofy lines of the original cartoon, but didnt have any real "CRINGING" moments.

Its a well made movie by someone who obviously knows the property well. A lot of love and effort went into this film and it shows.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Nordling on Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:52 am

I had a great time with it. The fight in the rain was the highlight for me - obviously inspired by Kurosawa and various other samurai films. I just wish that scene were longer.

As far as franchises go, there are better starts but a lot more worse ones. The fights, especially, I just forgot I was watching CGI. Considering there's a lot of elements to consider, how they renedered the combat at the end was very impressive to me.

Good movie.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:22 am

Good to read...checking that out this afternoon.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

TMNT

Postby bastard_robo on Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:57 pm

And apparently the public liked it enough for it to come in #1, knocking out 300 from the spot, and taking in a coll $25 mil.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Shane on Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:03 pm

I took my wife and kids to it. My wife liked it alot, which shocked me. My kids loved it. I liked turtles when they were big but not as much as some. I thought that this might have been the best turtles put on film or animated yet. I enjoyed it alot. I like the first movie but it just could not do what they did here, and getting away from most of the old villains is a good thing for me.

I'll be buying the DVD and watching it many more times when it comes out. This has been a good comic movie year so far.

Oh yeah and that fight in the rain was great.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby darkjedijaina on Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:10 pm

I just got back from taking my 7 year old to see this movie. It was really cute, and I think it is definitely what a TMNT movie should be.

For an adult, it's a little simple and things fall together relatively easy in order to defeat the bad guy... but, as Mori said, this is really about the brothers. It's about Leonardo and Raphael putting their differences aside and the brothers learning to work as a team again.

The fight between Leo and Raphael in the rain had a nice electricity to it. And it looked really good, too. I think that was definitely the best part of the movie.

10 for style, 8 for skill... 2 for stealth.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:19 pm

I saw it and really enjoyed it. It's a great looking film, the voice acting is good and the story holds up well (I thought it was a fairly complicated plot for a "kids movie"). It seemed like a well thought out continuation from the first Turtles movie.

The Leonardo/Raphael confrontation is the stand-out scene of the film. It gets quite emotionally charged and involves an excellently choreographed fight.

The only things which bugged me was the miscasting of Buffy as April O'Neill and that the Elias Koteas-model Casey Jones wasn't used. But they are minor things from what was a good experience.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:08 pm

ya know what? April has always been a horrible character. I cannot think of any incarnation of April Oneill that I liked. This includes the comic. She is annoying.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:31 am

I like this shot...that is all
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Nickelodeon's New Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:42 pm

From THR:
Ninja Turtles snapped up by Nickelodeon - New CG-animated TV series, feature film for 2012

Georg Szalai wrote:NEW YORK -- Viacom's Nickelodeon is making a $60 million bet that the 25-year-old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise has more left in the tank.

The company has acquired the global TMNT rights from the Mirage Group and 4Kids Entertainment and is developing a CG-animated TV series as well as a feature film in partnership with fellow Viacom arm Paramount Pictures. Both projects are set to hit in 2012.

The TV show will be the latest creation coming out of the Nick animation studio in Burbank, which is behind hit series "The Penguins of Madagascar" and an upcoming "Kung Fu Panda" series.

The acquisition is Nickelodeon's first franchise purchase, and it likely will look at similarly attractive entertainment brands with a built-in fan base.

Its goal with TMNT is to reintroduce the franchise to existing and potential fans across various media platforms. The deal also gives Nick all merchandising rights, and the company will continue to work with the franchise's longtime partner, Playmates Toys.

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shares a comedic sensibility with the Nickelodeon DNA, with added layers of action and fantasy that have kept this property an evergreen favorite with multiple generations of audiences," said Cyma Zarghami, president of Nickelodeon/MTVN Kids and Family Group.

For Paramount, the deal is a chance to add another popular 1980s franchise alongside "Transformers." Said Paramount president Adam Goodman, "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is a property that maintains a very passionate global fan base, is rich with opportunity for a tentpole movie and is exactly the right property for us to work together with Nickelodeon."

At Comic-Con in July, producers Scott Mednick and Galen Walker, who have been developing the new Turtles film, said that John Fusco, a martial arts enthusiast who wrote "The Forbidden Kingdom," had come aboard to write the screenplay. They said that the new live-action/CG movie would return to the franchise's roots and that in addition to action and humor of the first film in 1990, it would have the darker tone of the original comics.

Mednick served as exec producer on "300" and "10,000 B.C."; Galen was a producer on 2007's "TMNT."

The four TMNT films released between 1990-2007 -- three live-action and one animated -- have grossed $310 million in the U.S.

For the CW, the deal means that next summer it will lose its animated TMNT series, jointly produced by 4Kids and Mirage. It will continue to air on the CW4Kids Saturday morning programming block through Aug. 31.

In a memo to employees, 4Kids CEO Al Kahn said the move brings "mixed emotions, since our relationship with Mirage Studios and the property has been a long and mutually successful one, beginning with our relaunching the brand in 2002 to a new generation of Turtles fans."
Last edited by TheButcher on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Animation