TMNT

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

With 10 being the best and 1 being the worst, how would you rate TMNT?

No votes
10%
40%
20%
10%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
I'm waiting for DVD / TV
10%
No Shredder?! No Krang?! No Beepop?! No Rocksteady?! No F-in' way!
10%

Total votes : 10

Postby Speed Tracer on Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:27 am

I think this has potential... I mean, it's not the same creative team as Hoodwinked and Doogal, is it?

If Corey Feldman doesn't come back to voice Donatello, my pick's Sean Astin. And Seth Green could play any of them.
Speed Tracer
GLIB

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:30 am

Doogal was actually made here in the UK on a very tight budget and it remains faithful in looks to the original (French) Magic Roundabout, even if the plot, script and characterisation leaves a lot to be desired. For the US release all they did was bizarrely redub it with WORSE voiceovers by different actors you'd recognise such as Whoopie Goldberg and Jimmy Fallon. Apparently it "wouldn't sell" unless it was rebranded. Naturally the Weinsteins were responsible for that as they are the distributors who made the changes, Pathe were the original producers.

Original series info - http://magicroundabout.com/
English dub - http://www.the-magic-roundabout.com/main.html

They replaced Tom Baker! Jim Broadbent! Joanna Lumley! Ian KcKellen! BILL NIGHY FOR FUCKS SAKE as stoner rabbit! And added in a ton of movie reference jokes. In English, it's still not a great film, but still the dub makes more sense. But the American dub apparently lost any charm it had.

It's very easy to be aggressive towards apparently bad animation, but even stuff like Hoodwinked has a lot of talent behind it. Hoodwinked was produced on very, very, very little money... on another forum I've read posts by the director about his struggle to create it via outsourcing.

Anyhow... don't worry. The TMNT still wouldn't be representative of the final product. Even Flushed Away's unfinished CGI looks bad, an Aardman production, in the Wallace and Gromit DVD trailer. Simply put they are not far enough ahead to produce finished visuals. Whether or not they should release shots like that to the "uneducated" (not meant as a denigration) masses is another question, but I'm certain it'll look a lot different when out of previs concepts.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:35 am

Speed Tracer wrote:I think this has potential... I mean, it's not the same creative team as Hoodwinked and Doogal, is it?

If Corey Feldman doesn't come back to voice Donatello, my pick's Sean Astin. And Seth Green could play any of them.

Again, Hoodwinked and Doogal had totally seperate creative teams. Hoodwinked was an indie film. Doogal was European and originally had a totally different dub.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RaulMonkey on Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:03 am

Evil Hobbit in the dupe wrote:I realy dug that teaser. Looks incredible even, at least more incredible then I hoped for. Very fast and ninjaísch. As it should be. Remember dressing up like the turtles, me and my little brother paining our skin green and putting on masks. And then rampage the neighborhood.

I also remember the stupid bastards in Edmonton who climbed into the sewer to be like the Turtles and died. Or were they from Norway...?

It probably happened somewhere, somehow, but chances are it developed into an urban legend with slight variations. That's why I know it as happening to some kids in Edmonton. It's probably always happening to someone up the highway or across the Bay or those darn Shelbyvillians.

In any case, if you're thinking about going sewer-dwelling, ask Iconny for a primer on septicemia before you go down.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby tangerine on Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:09 am

Am I the only one who doesn't approve of that crappy trailer?
tangerine
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:26 am

No you are not. I was unhappy with the CGI, it looks second rate.

The one thing I did like about the trailer was that they tried to make it look like the original cartoon at the very start.

I don't think this one is for me, we didnt even hear any voice talent...and thats where it will sell.

And no Shredder? Not happy about that.

Now if they bring in Krang I'll be extremely happy.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby tapehead on Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:30 am

The other trailer in Roybertito's locked thread, which is also a lot more recent, looks much better - pretty good actually.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby RaulMonkey on Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:42 am

RaulMonkey wrote:...ask Iconny for a primer on septicemia before you go down.

Heh heh, just like all of her boyfriends should.

Sorry, "Willow," I had to go for it. I'll be at the Rose and Crown after nine tomorrow night awaiting your visitation. My family would prefer an open casket, so, you know... take it easy above the equator.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby EWS on Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:18 am

Quick question from months ago;

Was Doogal the same movie as The Magic Roundabout? Completly confused!

Anyway, I kinda liked the trailer. I don't care for great amazing graphics, but I think they captured the essence of what TMNT and it was a good introduction. You could always have the same old argument - it was only a teaser trailer and they still have time to touch up the CGI.

As for the voice actors - seems that not all are big names, and they are not releasing them as of yet for some reason.
monorail77 wrote:I officially vote EWS as way fucking coolest guy in the Zone

You know it makes sense!
Find out why
Remember, your new thread always belongs somewhere else!
EWS
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Shane on Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:48 am

Wow after that teaser trailer I'm looking forward to this. I think FF should have been done CGI. I think it was a good call to do it that way.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:03 pm

It's like Teenage Mutant Sincity Turtles.

Walk down the right back alley in Sin City and you can find anything. Even an anthropomorphic turtle.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:56 pm

Wouldn't it be more correct to say that Sin City is like TMNT considering TMNT was published 7 years before Sin City?

Anywho here is an interesting link to a video about the upcoming game for the PS3 and possibly other systems to tie in with the movie from next March. There is some glimpses of a Foot Soldier and some large mutant/monster. Also some of the gameplay seems very Prince of Persia: Sands of Time like what with the running across buildings etc.
Last edited by Chairman Kaga on Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sleepflower on Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:43 pm

Hollywood_Bob wrote:After everything they have done over the last few years....why can't people just hire WETA when it comes to CGI characters????

Because they charge a lot.

Because they specialize in making film effects and not animated movies.

This is a stylized low budget animated movie.

Weta are not the only good 3D company. Saying why don't they do it is like asking why don't Porsche make small economic town cars.

A company made this, that is their thing.

The still when I saw it looked dire, though having watched the trailer I haved changed my mind completely. The animation and camera work is stunning.

Stylized and very slick. In the trailer they obviously are going to add te humour in there too.

This film is around 9 months away, so there is a chance the character models wil look better come the final hing, as they can swap out the old with the new come to rendering.

Anyone know how long before release they start rendering these things for the final movie? Or do they render in sections along the way? No idea what order Pixar et al do it.

I wish they would make another live action film now that the technology is more advanced, a cartoon april never did it for me. Another redhead role and actress to go head to head with kirsten dunst's MJ would be great.
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:18 pm

Most times places render as they go once lighting, models and texturing are finalized.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:52 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Wouldn't it be more correct to say that Sin City is like TMNT considering TMNT was published 7 years before Sin City?

Possibly. I've not seen much early Turtles comic stuff, so I was only really refering to that trailer.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:48 pm

sleepflower wrote:Weta are not the only good 3D company. Saying why don't they do it is like asking why don't Porsche make small economic town cars.

Porche are owned by Fiat, ironically enough, who are the kings of small economical cars.

There a lesser known fact for everyone.

Ha! Im not just good at random bullshi.....oh! hang on........

Drat!
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:00 pm

Why don't Porsche make a small economic town car? That'd be a big seller.

Call it the Porsche Turtle.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sleepflower on Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:32 pm

papalazeru wrote:
sleepflower wrote:Weta are not the only good 3D company. Saying why don't they do it is like asking why don't Porsche make small economic town cars.

Porche are owned by Fiat, ironically enough, who are the kings of small economical cars.

There a lesser known fact for everyone.

Ha! Im not just good at random bullshi.....oh! hang on........

Drat!

Will have to check notes but I'm pretty sure you are thinking of Ferrari...

Also, I did not mean small car as in a lesser product, I meant as in a very different one in a similar market.
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:26 am

Jeez, you bitching fuckwads. It looks like the original comics before airhead sellouts got a hold of them and turned them into a million selling successful TV show with toy and film spinoffs. TMNT was originally very dark and some of the early comics were really quite something. I've got a copy by some alternate artists somewhere in the attic which is both beautifully drawn and very bloody... should dig it out...

The designs and animation work well within the context of what they're trying to do. I don't particualrly see anything shoddy about it as its consistent with their (very obvious) brief to take them back to how it was before they became gaudy television heroes. The animation is fluid, the backgrounds crisp, the framing consistently well done and the direction very good.

It's a brave move, and one that might not work, but it's the right one.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RockyDennis on Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:38 am

If this and Transformers are big hits we are going to see every mediocre 1980/90's afternoon cartoon on the big screen. I don't know if I'm ready for Madballs or Teddy Ruxpin movie. It's going to happen Hollywood has no new ideas and they are running out of comic books.
RockyDennis
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:50 am

Thanks be for world cinema!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:24 pm

If you look back to the start of this thread, I was one of the only people being positive about this film, but now it seems as if a few more people are coming around.

And in case you haven't seen them, here are the character one sheets.

http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=12253

I like how they're all serious except for Mikey, who's always such an ass. I can't wait for this.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:33 pm

Yeah, those character one sheets are awesome.

I was SUCH a Ninja Turtles kid when I was younger, and this has me giddy with anticipation now.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:50 pm

Pleasepleaseplease let Raphael go off on one. He was always such a moody sod, and you always got the feeling he might just break away and fuck the others over. Leo was a self-righteous Struggling Background Artist if I remember rightly... about the only one approaching normal was Don.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:06 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Pleasepleaseplease let Raphael go off on one. He was always such a moody sod, and you always got the feeling he might just break away and fuck the others over. Leo was a self-righteous Struggling Background Artist if I remember rightly... about the only one approaching normal was Don.

Really? I always thought Don was too stuck in his studies. I thought Mikey was the only normal one.

But I like how this looks darker than the live action films. If we get something sort of like the comics, it will be great.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:21 pm

I dunno, perhaps the geek in me favoured Don. Mikey was a dork.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:31 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:I dunno, perhaps the geek in me favoured Don. Mikey was a dork.

Donatello was the dork, hence the geek in you favoring him. He was always my favorite, yet I find myself siding with Leonardo at this point in life. Strong, focused, single-minded leader who can occasionally be a dick but only because he needs to be one to get your ass across the finish line.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:36 pm

I always figured a dork is someone who thinks they're cool yet continually screws up. Donatello is a geek! Get it straight MW! ;)
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:44 pm

I think I liked Michaelangelo when a kid.

All the cartoon Turtles are dickheads though. The movie versions would murder them. Especially Raphael.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:56 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:I always figured a dork is someone who thinks they're cool yet continually screws up. Donatello is a geek! Get it straight MW! ;)

I see. That would make you, sir, a douche.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:00 pm

Funny, I thought I was a wanker and Havoc was the douche.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:08 pm

What does that leave for wheredidmymindgo?
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:25 pm

Scrotfacker?
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:26 am

RockyDennis wrote: I don't know if I'm ready for Madballs or Teddy Ruxpin movie. It's going to happen Hollywood has no new ideas and they are running out of comic books.

Holy shit, I had forgotten all about Madballs! I Pissa My Pants, good fellow.

We'll cast Gary Oldman as Oculus Orbus. If anyone can play a disembodied eyeball, he'd be the man for the job.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:41 am

Madballs! That's what they were called! They were pretty freakin' sick. Not quite garbage pail, but close. Try selling those now!

And what about BOGLINS?
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:41 am

Boglins freaked me out a little; if any of my toys were to come to life and run amuck, it was going to be them, I just knew it as a child. Those fuckers did not stay out at night with the rest of my toys, they went into a drawer, which was firmly shut and checked at least 3 times before falling asleep.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:40 pm

Don't think I've seen this posted elsewhere:

TMNT Teaser
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:53 am

Okay, so its been ahiwle and here are a few tidbits.

Acutally there is some very cool shit below! :-)

The article includes new photos and says that Zhang Ziyi voices the villain Karai, who leads an evil army known as the Foot Ninjas into battle against the turtle brothers. Sarah Michelle Gellar is the voice of April, the human researcher who serves as the Turtles' tech-services worker and mother figure. "Fantastic Four" star Chris Evans is the hockey-stick-swinging Casey Jones, and Clerks filmmaker Kevin Smith also voices a cameo as a greasy-spoon chef.

I think Sarah Michelle Gellar is perfect casting for April and a baddy by Zhang Ziyi - can't contian my self on that one! ;-) and any Kevin Smith cameo is a good cameo by me! :-)

also this:

PatrickStewart.org is reporting that Patrick Stewart ("X-Men" movies) will voice the role of Max Winters in Kevin Munroe's CG animated TMNT. The site included the following plot:

In this film, after the defeat of their old arch nemesis, The Shredder, the Turtles have grown apart as a family. Struggling to keep them together, their sensei, Master Splinter, becomes worried when strange things begin to happen in New York City. Tech-industrialist Max Winters goes mad after he was wrongfully fired and begins amassing an army of ancient monsters. Realizing his plan is succeeding, he is no longer satisfied with vengeance against his ex-employer, but now has thirst for World Domination.

Niiiiiceeeeeeeee :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Moriarty on Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:51 am

Looks like I'll be visiting the set for this one tomorrow.

And by set, I mean "set," I suppose.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:12 am

Nice one! I hope to see details asap, Mori! Maybe even a teaser for the Zone first... heh ;-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Ninja Turtles CGI Movie Discussion Thread

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:13 pm

You know, after seeing the new trailer, im actually kinda pumped to see this now.

The look of the charecters blends well witht he CG animation. I actually have High Hopes for this film now.

I'll definatly be there opening day.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:24 pm

I will probably watch it, but i don't think i'll see it at the cinema... I devoted a good year in the turtles when they were big and i was little... so that will count for it being rented at some stage...

And a set visit???? that must be quite lame for a CG film, purely as there is nothing to steal and show off with???? I'm sure you'll prove me wrong though...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:05 am

NEW Hi-RES POSTER plus fucking kick ass pics here!

How good is that one of Leonardo in the rain!!! :-)

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=18 129
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:38 am

Me and my TMNT obsessed flatmate just looked. The Turtles look great, but fuck me if the humans look utterly awful. They look like frigging Kameo on the Xbox 360, I mean REALLY bad.

Plus it looks a leedle too computer gamey.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:42 am

Thats true but for me its all about the heroes in a half shell and I'll be damned if they do look cool as!

ALthough I don't hate the humans looK!

you see the post yesterday about the voices?
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Ninja Turtles CGI Movie Discussion Thread

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:07 pm

New pics released!

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby godzillasushi on Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:39 pm

Well that looks pretty neat-o. I mean, im not exactly expecting the greatest movie ever with this one but it looks like fun to watch.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:46 pm

Tons of Hi-res TMNT pics:

http://www.kino-govno.com/images.php?id=teenagemutantninjaturtles&show=all

Some of them look pretty cool. I'll probably check this out.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby buster00 on Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:21 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:Tons of Hi-res TMNT pics:

http://www.kino-govno.com/images.php?id=teenagemutantninjaturtles&show=all

Some of them look pretty cool. I'll probably check this out.

Jeez, you weren't kiddin'. That's a shitload of pix...and they do look pretty clean.

They brought back the Turtle Van, I see...
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:30 pm

Has anyone posted this yet? If so I could not find it on this thread...

Though some people talked about it.

New TMNT Trailer And I am sorry but that is one of the only places I can go at work.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

PreviousNext

Return to Animation