The Official Disney Thread

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

The Official Disney Thread

Postby bc1970 on Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:46 am

bc1970
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:47 am

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:54 am

Damnit! We need more companies in the field not less.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:07 am

The sky, she is a falling! The sky, she is a falling!

Hehehehehe....
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:09 am

Is "sky" really feminine in Italian?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:12 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:Is sky really feminine in Itlaian?

Well, it pisses on you, like all the best hookers.......I digress.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:13 am

More seriously - I know it would be cooler if they stayed separate entities - but from what I've been reading Lasseter has put down a few un-negotiable conditions if this deal is to be anything other than for distribution rights.

I think Disney know the mistakes they've made in the past on this one...so lets just hope eh?

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:24 am

I wonder if this will halt Disney's progression into 3D features. Would be a shame for them to close up shop when they are essentially just getting started.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:28 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:I wonder if this will halt Disney's progression into 3D features. Would be a shame for them to close up shop when they are essentially just getting started.

Very good point. Its conventional corporate sensibility to buy something thats already acknowledged to be excellent, than to learn the craft yourself. Which is a shame because often "learning" involves "experimenting" which in itself is often the hotbed from which new ideas spring forth.....

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:08 pm

This news makes me want to vomit.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:22 pm

The aritcle though just makes it sound like another distribution deal.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:28 pm

I read they are hoping for more than that - but full creative control goes to Lasseter and no other else all bets are off.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:33 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:I wonder if this will halt Disney's progression into 3D features. Would be a shame for them to close up shop when they are essentially just getting started.

yes - please don't halt their own progression... chicken little 2: electric fence boogaloo will PWN...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby MadCapsule on Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:58 pm

Bah! Disney can lick my balls with their "Hurry! This timeless classic will only be available to buy for a limited time before it disappears forever" bullshit. Lick 'em, I say!
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Pudie on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:28 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11003466/

LOS ANGELES - The Walt Disney Co. says it is buying longtime partner Pixar Animation Studios Inc. for $7.4 billion.

This is a developing story. Check back for more details.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Pudie on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:50 pm

Disney buys Pixar
House of Mouse is teaming up with Pixar in a $7.4 billion deal. Steve Jobs to become board member at Disney.
January 24, 2006: 4:31 PM EST

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - Walt Disney has announced that it is buying Pixar, the animated studio led by Apple head Steve Jobs, in a deal worth $7.4 billion.

Speculation about a deal being imminent raged on Wall Street for the past few weeks. Disney has released all of Pixar's films so far but their current distribution deal was set to expire following the release of this summer's "Cars."

"Disney and Pixar can now collaborate without the barriers that come from two different companies with two different sets of shareholders," said Jobs. "Now, everyone can focus on what is most important, creating innovative stories, characters and films that delight millions of people around the world."

As part of the deal, Jobs will become a board member of Disney, the companies said. And John Lasseter, the widely respected creative director at Pixar who had previously worked for Disney, will rejoin the House of Mouse as chief creative officer for the company's combined animated studios and will also help oversee the design for new attractions at Disney theme parks.

"The addition of Pixar significantly enhances Disney animation, which is a critical creative engine for driving growth across our businesses," said Disney CEO Robert Iger in a written statement
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:52 pm

HO.

LEE.

CRAPPA!

That's a the HUGE.
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby minstrel on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:01 pm

I already commented on this on the main page thread (using my alias over there, kai028). But I'll say this here, too: I think this is terrible for Pixar. The news report said Lasseter would be in charge of all of Disney's animation (good) but it didn't mention anything about any of the other lights at Pixar, like Brad Bird, Andrew Stanton, Pete Docter, Lee Unkrich, etc., whose creative contributions have been huge for Pixar over the years. I hope Disney treated these guys right, too ...
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Pudie on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:02 pm

Knowning Pixar, I'm sure it was on their tersm more then Disneys. I doubt they sold without getting at least a good majority of what they wanted.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Lady Sheridan on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:06 pm

I am very concerned about Pixar. Like everyone else here, I have loved every movie they've made. I don't want to see them forced into producing shiny dreck.

I really miss the good old days of Disney. The Little Mermaid was probably one of the best things about my childhood.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Pudie on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:09 pm

I think Jobs getting a chair posistion and Lasseter being in charge is a step for Disney back into the right direction. Hopefully they stop making Bambi 2 and Cinnderella 3 and actually go back to making good animation, with good stories. Like Pixar does. And I hope they still differrentiate the stuff Pixar animators do from the other Disney stuff. Don't market Cars as a god damn Disney movie, and don't say Lion King 5 is from the makers of Toy Story & Finding Nemo.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Peven on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:10 pm

do i hear taps playing?

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:15 pm

I wouldn't mind if they lump it all together if Lasseter and some of the PIXAR higher ups are put in charge of the umbrella of Disney Animation and whip it back into shape. I remember seeing rumors that PIXAR had purchased some of Disney's traditional/2D equipment after the slew of Studio closings/cuts Disney made a couple of years ago.....though I never found any confirmation. Either way I think this is more good then bad. I would love to see PIXAR push for a renewed interest in 2D animation from the Mouse to run parallel to their 3D work. I have no idea if they would or not.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:16 pm

I figured it out...

Joshua was replaced by Pudie...
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pudie on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:17 pm

To quote your signature .... what?
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Peven on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:18 pm

Fredo Jobs just sold out Pixar, imo.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:20 pm

Pudie wrote:To quote your signature .... what?

Oh, we used to have a newsbot around here that Doc wrote called Joshua. He ran rampant until Moriarty finally staked the fucker in his heart. Rumors have circulated since of his return, in a new form...
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pudie on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:26 pm

I'm no bot. I'm borg.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:28 pm

An interesting development. People say 2D animation is dead, but I say it's not the format it's the quality of the films lately. Is stop-motion animation dead? It seems to me that Corpse Bride did okay and The Curse of the Were-Rabbit did even better. Did anyone expect Home on the Range to be any good? No, the movie looked ALF. That's why it bombed. Go back to your roots Disney! Hire TALENT for your films, craft COMPELLING stories, and put some gorram INTEGRITY back into your products and they will come. Don't ruin Pixar with your corporate mentality. Help bring ART back into animated features again!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:36 pm

Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Garbage Man on Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:12 pm

Adam Balm wrote:I figured it out...

Joshua was replaced by Pudie...

NEWSAVALANCHEILASH!
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:02 am

Lady Sheridan wrote:I really miss the good old days of Disney. The Little Mermaid was probably one of the best things about my childhood.

Me too, eh? Like a seeing a the Snow White anna the Pinocchio up onna the big a screen...
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Agent Alonzo on Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:51 am

Damn, I only bid 7.1 Billion...
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:28 am

I'm not convinced that Disney is good for Pixar. I'm not even convinced that Disney is good for animation. Lately all they make is crass, aimless dreck, and if Pixar is forced to conform then our best hope of revolutionizing animation in America has just been bought and sold away.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:10 am

That is only pretty recent Ribbons. Disney was the leader in this field for well over 60 years before recent micro managing plunged it into a spiral.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:05 am

Don't get me wrong, I have a considerable amount of respect for Walt Disney and what his company accomplished. But I don't much appreciate what the House of Mouse has done since their formula-defying/making classics of the early '90s. They only sporadically produce good movies nowadays.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby buster00 on Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:26 am

Ribbons wrote:Don't get me wrong, I have a considerable amount of respect for Walt Disney and what his company accomplished. But I don't much appreciate what the House of Mouse has done since their formula-defying/making classics of the early '90s. They only sporadically produce good movies nowadays.

Agreed. The animation in Annapolis looks like shit.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Garbage Man on Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:52 am

At least Eisner's gone.

Does anyone know what Robert Iger is like? I've heard he's a good ice-skater and a gentle (some might say tender) lover, but I really don't know much about him.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Evil Hobbit on Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:54 am

Let's just hope disney desides to do some 2d animated musicals again. Like 1 every 4 years. Rising Menken from the grave and providing him with good stories instead of awfull cheasy home on the range vehicles.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Toy Story 3

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:39 am

Well Toy Story 3 is officially dead.
Thank God!!
http://latinoreview.com/news.php?id=225
As the subject line read, John Lasseter and Ed Catmill announced to Feature Animation employees today that the "Toy Story 3" production will end effectively today. They said that sequels should only be made if there is a really great story that demands it, and should be the domain of those who created the original film.

In other words, if Pixar wants to make a sequel to its films, it will. If Disney Feature wants to make a sequel to its film, it will. But the two will not cross.

http://movieweb.com/news/06/10706.php
Last edited by TheButcher on Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:01 am

That is cool.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pudie on Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:16 am

Ribbons wrote:I'm not convinced that Disney is good for Pixar. I'm not even convinced that Disney is good for animation. Lately all they make is crass, aimless dreck, and if Pixar is forced to conform then our best hope of revolutionizing animation in America has just been bought and sold away.

Do you really think Pixar would let itself be bought out by Disney only to become its bitch? Fuck no it wouldn't. Pixar is one of the most succesfull studios out there. There movies are pretty much guranteed to be huge. Theres no way in hell they would let themselves make the next Home On The Range. Pixar will still be Pixar and make great Pixar movies. Lasseter and Jobs getting the posistions they have not only ensures Pixar will still make grade A stuff, but also gives alot of hope to Disney becoming the great animation powerhouse it once was.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:37 am

TheButcher wrote:Well Toy Story 3 is officially dead.
...As the subject line read, John Lasseter and Ed Catmill announced to Feature Animation employees today that the "Toy Story 3" production will end effectively today.

Hehehe... there's a the NEW sheriff inna town, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Peven on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:08 pm

over at comingsoon.net

According to a poster at Animation Nation, Catmull and Lasseter "announced to Feature Animation employees [Tuesday] that the 'Toy Story 3' production will end effectively [Tuesday]. They said that sequels should only be made if there is a really great story that demands it, and should be the domain of those who created the original film."

An Associated Press article from Tuesday about the acquisition confirms the news:

One immediate sign of Lasseter's influence is that plans for Disney to make the long rumored sequel "Toy Story 3" on its own have been scrapped. If the film is made, it will be done by Lasseter and the other creators of the original film, the companies said.

so, Toy Story 3 isn't necessarily dead, just put on hold....for now.
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:10 pm

Well it's more like dead unless they come up with a story they like. I don't think they are interested in doing a TS3.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:01 pm

I don't think a whole lot is going to change. It really boils down to Disney wanting Pixar movies and Jobs wanting content for iTunes. I do hope that Lasseter has a bit of a free hand when it comes to his duties and is allowed to assemble a quality traditional animation unit and let them create free from the tyranny of the bean counters and market researchers.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:54 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:Well it's more like dead unless they come up with a story they like. I don't think they are interested in doing a TS3.

this just in, reported over at comingsoon.net...........

"It was previously reported that Disney's acquisition of Pixar also meant the end of production on Toy Story 3, and that if the film was ever made it would be done by the creators of the original film. Now it looks that is indeed the case, as Bloomberg reports on Walt Disney Company's First Quarter Earnings:

Iger said Disney would release about two Pixar films each year, an increase over Pixar's earlier goal of about one per year. Pixar will take over production of "Toy Story 3," a sequel that Disney's in-house animators had been working on, Iger said."

never say die with a franchise as bankable as Toy Story, and they can say what they want about Pixar being the one to make the call, but i think this is the first sign of Disney's infection of Pixar. next we'll see plans for Finding Nemo Jr, The Incredibles II, etc, as Disney turns Pixar into their own little whore. goodbye originality and creativity, hello to the Disney bean-counter mentality.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:59 am

Cars looks horrible, now Toy Story 3??? Looks like doom for Pixar...but I still have some faith that things will work out and they will get back to making great animated movies.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:26 pm

I bet ToyStory 3 is a total rewrite......I don't see the problem considering Toy Story 2 was vastly superior to Toy Story.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:33 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Cars looks horrible

Yes, but inna the States where a the NASCAR, she is a the huge, it's a gonna to be a the smash hit, eh? Holy crappa it's a gonna to make back double the budget inna the midwest alone, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Next

Return to Animation