The Official Disney Thread

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Re: Disney buys Pixar for 7.4b (Disney schedule through 2012)

Postby kayanat on Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:33 am

I'm pretty sure that Disney isn't saying that there won't ever be an Incredibles 2. The thing about Pixar is that they only release one movie a year so that they can put all of their resources into making each movie as good as they can. Pixar already has their schedule set for the next 6 years, and since Cars 2 was recently announced as the 2013 release I think there is good chance that we will see more sequels including Incredibles 2 sometime in the future.
kayanat
GLIB

D23

Postby TheButcher on Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:01 pm

http://d23.disney.go.com/

D23 Expo: The Ultimate Experience for Disney Fans!
03.10.09 - Imagine a place where every step you take immerses you further into the Disney movies, magic and memories that live so deeply in your heart.

That place will become a reality from September 10–13, 2009, when the D23 Expo comes to life at the Anaheim Convention Center. The Expo is the single largest gathering of all things Disney — so huge, in fact, it couldn't fit at the Disneyland Resort just across the street!

From Jim Hill Media:
Disney officials insist that D23 was created for the fans, not just for funds
Described as “The Ultimate Disney Fan Experience,” the D23 Expo is supposed to be so large that Baker & Co. couldn't figure out how to stage this event at the Disneyland Resort. Which is why this four-day-long event -- which is scheduled for September 10th -13th -- is now being held across the street at the Anaheim Convention Center. Months in the making, the D23 Expo (which reportedly cost the Company over a million dollars to stage) will feature celebrity appearances, film screenings, and a collector’s forum.

And just so you know, this is the first of four Disney Expos which will be held at the Anaheim Convention Center. The Walt Disney Company has already committed to holding this annual exhibition (which it eventually hopes will become the Disneyana equivalent of San Diego's Comic-Con International) in Southern California through 2013 and will then consider taking the D23 Expo on the road.

From Jim Hill Media: Monday Mouse Watch : Give the Geeks a Chance
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:54 pm

I dunno, personally I'm not liking this seeming sequel trend that Pixar seems to be developing (Toy Story 3, Cars 2, Monsters Inc. 2)... part of what I liked about them in the first place was that they were making original films.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby minstrel on Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:22 pm

Ribbons wrote:I dunno, personally I'm not liking this seeming sequel trend that Pixar seems to be developing (Toy Story 3, Cars 2, Monsters Inc. 2)... part of what I liked about them in the first place was that they were making original films.

I guess John Lasseter, for one, welcomes his new Disney overlords ...
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

The Bear and the Bow

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:30 am

Reese Witherspoon on The Bear and the Bow:

As you probably know, DreamWorks Animation’s Monsters Vs. Aliens is coming to theatres soon, so of course one of the film’s stars, Reese Witherspoon, is out doing publicity.

It seem inevitable that Reese would be talking about her next animated character after Ginormica, especially since she’s very excited to be in a Pixar film. This is what she had to say about the studio’s Winter 2011 release The Bear and the Bow and her character Merida:

"I get offered a lot of animated movies… [then] Pixar came along with [a] great character. A girl from royalty who would rather be a great archer? And she has a Scottish accent? Who could turn that down? You always go for the great character to play, even if she’s animated."

Sounds like Reese has caught the animation bug, and she’s loving it!
Read the full article over at the Orlando Sentinel.

source: Upcoming Pixar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:48 pm

minstrel wrote:
Ribbons wrote:I dunno, personally I'm not liking this seeming sequel trend that Pixar seems to be developing (Toy Story 3, Cars 2, Monsters Inc. 2)... part of what I liked about them in the first place was that they were making original films.

Except Lasseter is the overlord in question.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:01 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
minstrel wrote:

as long as they keep turning out movies like Wall*E, too, that is something i can live with

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:58 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
minstrel wrote:

I thought Iger or whoever was the Grand Puubah over at Disney, and Lasseter was just head of animation? Granted, my knowledge of the studio hierarchy is fuzzy at best
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby minstrel on Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:16 pm

alexeena wrote:What kind of Barbie doll would you like to see them come out with? If you wanted a special barbie to buy what would you like it to be. A Barbie Doll that has never been done,that you would like to see be done.

I would like a Barbie doll that doesn't exist. That way, it wouldn't take up any space in my house and I wouldn't have to see that stupid vacant expression on its stupid vacant face.

Alexeena, welcome to the Zone. But why did you post this in this thread?
minstrel

Postby BuckyO'harre on Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:10 pm

minstrel wrote:I would like a Barbie doll that doesn't exist. That way, it wouldn't take up any space in my house and I wouldn't have to see that stupid vacant expression on its stupid vacant face.

What about a Ken doll? :wink:
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:54 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:
minstrel wrote:I would like a Barbie doll that doesn't exist. That way, it wouldn't take up any space in my house and I wouldn't have to see that stupid vacant expression on its stupid vacant face.

Life size? Anatomically correct? With accessories?

Maybe we can talk about this ...
minstrel

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:32 pm

minstrel wrote:
BuckyO'harre wrote:

Life size? Anatomically correct? With accessories?

Maybe we can talk about this ...

Those are called Real Dolls.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

RAPUNZEL

Postby TheButcher on Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:56 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Dinosaur Bob

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:33 pm

From /film August 27th, 2009:
Is Pixar Working On a Movie About A Boy And His Dinosaur?
Peter Sciretta wrote:Could Pixar be working on a film about a boy and his dinosaur? If you take a look behind Pixar sculptor Greg Dykstra, you will notice concept drawings and photos on his office wall showing a dinosaur and a boy. Could this be a design for an upcoming Pixar feature or short film?

Upcoming Pixar reader Bryko614, who noticed the concept art above while watching B-Roll footage from the making of Pete Docter’s Up, took that question to Pixar story supervisor Ronnie del Carmen. del Carmen responded on Twitter by saying that he does know what they are from “But not telling. Nothing to do with anything Toy Story, tell you that.”

Some have suggested the possibility that the designs could have been created for earlier concepts for Russell the wilderness explorer and what eventually became Kevin the Bird, but neither of which appear in The Art of Up book, and both designs seem far too different from the final cartoony character design style of the film. So it doesn’t seem likely, and Ronnie’s response leads us to believe the designs are part of a future project.

There are many possibilities. The sculpting phase usually doesn’t happen until late in the process, after the designs have become more finalized, but before they start the heavy duty animation work. Past Pixar books have listed these sculpts as being 1 to 2 years before the film’s release, but not much more than that. Since these designs aren’t from Toy Story 3, and don’t seem like a likely fit for Newt (the upcoming 2012 film about the last surviving pair of a rare reptilian species known as the blue-footed newts), I would venture to guess that the designs were created for an upcoming animated short.

Anyone have any ideas?

Update: /Film commentor bsdseagle notes that “William Joyce (Storybook teller and concept designer) used to work for Pixar, he also contributed on the Blue Sky movie Robots. Now the interesting part is that he has a children book called Dinosaur Bob about a kid and a Dinosaur friend)” Could there be a connection?
Last edited by TheButcher on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Dinosaur Bob

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:26 pm

From /film August 27th, 2009:
Pixar Goes on a Dinosaur Hunting Field Trip
Last edited by TheButcher on Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

The Snow Queen

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:29 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:00 am

The last we heard about an animated The Snow Queen, I believe, was when Disney were last trying to develop it - perhaps as late as around March 2008. That appeared to be when it was last frozen (if you pardon the pun), following a few earlier dead ends, such as when Glen Keane infamously quit the project in 2003. Now, though, all signs are that the film is progressing nicely - though, at the moment, there’s no mention of it on the official Walt Disney Animation Studios site. I asked around - not actually at WDAS, but through the grapevine - and it seems that Alan Menken is working on the music for the film, possibly based on music he was developing for a stage production of the story. Nice.

Awesome. Good to see they're breaking free of the stereotypical Disney mold.

[/saracsm]
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:24 pm

Variety:
Disney covers 2D, 3D bases - Studio has hand-drawn, CGI toons in races
DIANE GARRETT wrote:Disney is singing more than one type of toon this awards season.

The three racked up a slew of nominations in the Annie Awards, the industry's annual kudosfest, with "The Princess and the Frog" leaping into eight categories, including best feature. The early recognition is heartening for directors Ron Clements and John Musker, who left the studio during Disney's fallow period for 2D.

The duo, who had directed "The Little Mermaid" and "Aladdin" for the Mouse House in headier days, were about to sign with another studio when Pixar creative guru John Lasseter lured them back with the promise of reviving hand-drawn animation at Disney after it acquired Pixar. "We hired back all these great animators that had been laid off," Lasseter says. "You've never seen a group with more to prove."

The "Princess" directors admit they have been particularly anxious about the reception of this toon, which took four years to make, given the stakes for 2D animation. "Certainly, we feel the value of hand-drawn animation," Clements says.

Musker, who first met Lasseter as a student at CalArts, says he and Clements took advantage of the expressiveness of 2D animation, and used different styles with fantasy and musical sequences. "That's something you can do in hand-drawn animation," he points out.

The directors used the work of Harlem Renaissance artist Aaron Douglas for Tiana's fantasy sequence about her restaurant, for example, and drew further inspiration from "Singing in the Rain" and "An American in Paris." The helmers used particularly colorful sequences for voodoo villain Doctor Facilier to convey his nefarious nature.

"You can be more impressionistic and suggest more with hand-drawn animation," Musker says. "It seems to fit fairy tales."

Lasseter, who now oversees all Disney animation, says Pixar animators could not believe Disney and DreamWorks would abandon traditional animation completely. "We felt 2D became the scapegoat for bad movies," he says. "There are certain qualities you can't get without hand-drawn animation."

He cites the toon's outlandish Louis the crocodile as the type of larger-than-life character you can't reproduce with CGI. Eric Goldberg, who animated the genie in "Aladdin," did the honors on Louis as part of the team on "The Princess and the Frog."

Lasseter, who forged his relationship with Miyazaki in the early 1980s, helped exec produce the English-language version of "Spirited Away" and has worked on the DVD releases of his toons, produced by Studio Ghibli in Japan. "I really want to get everybody at Ghibli a Disney deal," he says.

But what if "Princess and the Frog" does not rake in Pixar-style grosses? Lasseter insists the company is committed to hand-drawn animation. "I love it," he says, enthusing about a 2011 hand-drawn "Winnie the Pooh" feature that will try to match the look of Pooh films from the 1960s. Also in the works: a hand-drawn toon shepherded by "Surf's Up" director Chris Buck.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Fantasia, Fantasia World & Fantasia 2000

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:07 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Brad Bird's 1906

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:44 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Pixar’s Dinosaur Film

Postby TheButcher on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:03 pm

From /film February 19th, 2010:
More Dinosaur Concept Art Spotted at Pixar
Peter Sciretta wrote:You might recall that last August, Pixar fans spotted some concept artwork featuring a boy and his dinosaur, on sculptor Greg Dykstra‘s wall in behind the scenes b-roll footage for Pete Docter’s Up. Someone asked Pixar story supervisor Ronnie del Carmen about the artwork on Twitter, and he responded saying that he does know what the art is from “But not telling. Nothing to do with anything Toy Story, tell you that.”

Someone also noticed some interesting postings made by Pixar animator and paleontology buff Austin Madison on his personal blog recounting a trip taken by a group of Pixar dino enthusiasts, including Dykstra, to the badlands of South Dakota. Anyone who follows Pixar’s development process probably knows that the animation studio’s artists usually take research field trips while developing new films. For Ratatouille, they took a trip to Paris to study the city and eat in some of the fine restaurants. For Up, they took a trip to South America to study the the strange wilderness of the region. And it certainly looks like Pixar is doing some research on dinosaurs, and the concept art of Dykstra’s wall is definitely part of this upcoming project.

And now, PixarTalk has been sent a photo showing Up production designer Ricky Nierva standing in front of even more concept art from the project, showing the boy, a brontosaurus, a prehistoric alligator, a pterodactyl, and a mosquito. Check out the full photo (some of which can be seen above) after the jump.

We are unsure if this art is part of an upcoming unannounced Pixar short of feature film. It certainly didn’t look like anything that would fit into the few announced features that the animation studio is currently developing. If Dykstra is directing the project, it is likely a short (possibly attached to Toy Story 3?), considering he has not directed before. Pixar uses their short films as a training ground for potential future feature directors. For example, sound designer Gary Rydstrom directed the short Lifted (which played in front of Ratatouille), and was given the helm of the announced Pixar’s 2012 feature film newt.

From /film February 19th, 2010:
Pixar’s Dinosaur Film: Teddy Newton’s Night And Day?
Peter Sciretta wrote:We might have finally found out information about Pixar’s mystery boy and his dinosaur film. An anonymous source responded to our story last night and confirmed that is is a Pixar short film called “Night And Day“. Teddy Newton, a storyboard artist on The Iron Giant, Character Designer for The Incredibles and Presto, makes his Pixar directorial debut.If so, this might be the short film attached to Toy Story 3.

He is a Cal Arts guy, very respected, considered one of the most influential visual development artists in the field of animation. I did some internet searches, and found it listed on composer Michael Giacchino‘s unofficial website. Giacchino has been working with Pixar for some time, providing the score for The Incredibles, Ratatoille, Up, and short films Lifted and Partly Cloudy, so it makes sense that he might also be working on the company’s next animated short as well. In the late 1990′s, Teddy formed a partnership with Giacchino to make animated films, but they apparently couldn’t come up with the capital to make it happen.
Last edited by TheButcher on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Official Disney Thread

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:43 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:08 pm

Michael Jackson's 'Captain EO' returns to Disney

I was a huge fan of this when I was a kid (and still am). I saw it dozens of times in my youth and a crappy bootleg version resides on my laptop. I'd love to see it again on the big screen, but I don't reside in SoCal. Maybe if it returned to Disney World I'd have a shot, but who knows if that'll happen.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheButcher on Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:03 pm

From Blue Sky Disney:
Honor Hunter wrote:Well, it seems that a certain animation director has been seen in Emeryville lately and some are wondering is he coming to the Lamp? Could Henry Selick, the director of "Coraline" be planning on shaking up Pixar like Bird did? He could just be visiting friends, but he may be interviewing for a job. After all, even though he's known for stop-motion animation he's not a stranger to CG animation. If you haven't seen his short, "Moongirl" I'd suggest you take a look at it because that could be a preview to his future.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:33 am

From Blue Sky Diseny:
Honor Hunter wrote:Naturally, there's the talk of a Tron attraction at Disneyland and various other theme parks. WDI is working on concepts for a Tron experience, but don't expect a fully immersive Tron Legacy attraction by the time the film opens. Any attraction wouldn't be seen in Tommowland until 2012 at the earliest... but that doesn't mean there won't be surprises between now and then.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:23 am

From Jim Hill:
The TRON attractions that Disneyland almost got
Jim Hill gives you a peek at 1982 era expansion plans for the Happiest Place on Earth. Back when WED actually toyed with the idea of adding a TRON-themed ride & arcade to Tomorrowland
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:17 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:11 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:22 am

From Variety:
Henry Selick returns to Disney - 'Coraline' director signs deal to make stop-motion features
PETER DEBRUGE wrote:Henry Selick is coming home -- to the Mouse House, that is.

The "Coraline" director, who began his animation career at Disney in the late '70s, has struck an exclusive long-term deal to make stop-motion features for Disney/Pixar.

Disney Animation topper John Lasseter's decision to bring Selick into the Disney/Pixar fold is another boost for the painstaking hand-crafted technique, while representing expansion beyond strictly computer-animated fare for the company.

The reunion also is a personal one, putting Selick in business with a number of long-time friends, including Lasseter and "Ratatouille" director Brad Bird.

"I first met John Lasseter when we were classmates at CalArts," Selick said in a statement. "I've watched with awe and amazement as Pixar created a new way to make animated movies with computers."

The helmer, who's been spotted in recent months at Pixar's Emeryville, Calif. campus, will set up shop in the Bay Area, where he plans to write and direct features based on both original ideas and literary properties. Selick hopes to benefit from the Pixar brain trust and technology, but will continue to produce toons using his trademark stop-motion style.

Selick made his directing debut at Disney in 1993 with the Tim Burton-produced "The Nightmare Before Christmas," which has earned more than $75 million in box office receipts for the company. But his followup, "James and Giant Peach," was a box office disappointment and ended the studio's involvement with stop-motion.

"I'll quote Dick Cook right after 'James and the Giant Peach' was finished. He said, 'We don't believe this is a viable medium anymore, and we're not going to do it,'?" Selick told Daily Variety. "A few years later they shut down 2D. It's great that both of those things are back."

At least four feature toons were produced using stop-motion animation last year, including "Fantastic Mr. Fox," "Mary and Max" and "A Town Called Panic." "Coraline" was by far the most successful of last year's stop-motion crop. Directed by Selick at Portland-based Laika, the Focus-released film earned $75 million in its theatrical release and an Oscar nomination.

Selick's Disney/Pixar deal was negotiated by Ellen Goldsmith-Vein at The Gotham Group.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:31 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby blackcauldron85 on Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:20 am

http://twitter.com/Breznican

Lots of goodies to tweet from Disney movie presentation. Studio chief Rich Ross previews through 2012 ....

http://twitpic.com/1hmt4k

Monsters Inc. sequel coming Nov. 16, 2012. Live-action John Carter of Mars not yet dated, from Wall-E director Andrew Stanton.

Disney says May is for Marvel. Thor is May 6 next year, Captain America in July -- the The Avengers dated already for May 4, 2012.

Disney studio chief Rich Ross says he nixed a planned 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea remake because it was "too dark." May revisit someday.

Disney's Tangled (once Rapunzel, renamed for boys) truly aims for 'em. Trailer has thief climbing tower, beaten up by her DocOck-like hair.

Pirates 4 -- starts shooting in about a month with Johnny Depp, Penelope Cruz, & Ian McShane as Blackbeard. So says Disney chief Rich Ross.

New Muppet flick penned by Jason Segel loaded with celeb cameos in script. Disney says Segel got promises from all iwhile writing.

Strange boy brings deceased pup back from grave #Disney finally gets Tim Burton. He's making feature version of Frankenweenie as stop-motion

Disney Prom movie set for 2012 will be more authentic less squeaky-clean. More like John Hughes and Cameron Crowe. Hope so. (Director TBD.)

Cars 2, Monsters Inc. 2, Toy Story 3 ... All in the Pixar pipeline, all fun. But guys: what makes Pixar great is not knowing what's coming.

Disney's Prince of Persia clip: Jake G. flees swordsmen across rooftops. Feels familiar. ... When does Robin William's genie come in?

Disney's horseracing drama Secretariat surprisingly aims for women. Stars Diane Lane as "housewife" who comes to own champion horse.

Disney's Live-action Sorcerer's Apprentice has fun homage to Fantasia. Jay Baruchel makes splash getting mops & brooms to clean wizard lair

Disney preview's Tron Legacy trailer? Smeh. Still DYING to see this one, but nothing new shown today. The 3-D didn't feel super special.

What irony. Tim Burton was fired by #Disney for making Frankenweenie short in 1984. Now he's remaking it as a feature with stop motion.

What else --Muppet gets new character: Walter. No details, except he's made of felt. Secretariat foal played by his own great-grandson.

That's it for the Disney info dump. Consider yourself over-Moused.

and: http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2010/ ... tales.html

There wasn't that much new news at the press conference/event/whatever, I guess. I'm most excited for Tangled (and Toy Story 3, which I don't think was mentioned), but I'm also excited for the upcoming Pixar films. Tron Legacy and Winnie the Pooh, too. And The Sorcerer's Apprentice to some degree, but that could be due to my crush on Jay Baruchel.

So, breaking down the slide shown in the picture:

WDFA:
Tangled
Winnie the Pooh

Pixar:
Toy Story 3
Cars 2
(and Monsters, Inc. 2, which wasn't shown)
Brave (formerly The Bear and the Bow, which wasn't shown)

Live-Action (non-Marvel):
Prince of Persia
The Sorcerer's Apprentice
Secretariat
Tron Legacy
African Cats (DisneyNature)
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Prom
The Muppets
Real Steel

Live-Action (Marvel) (which aren't even Disney releases):
Iron Man 2
(something I can't read, but I think it says something about Marvel)
Thor
Captain America

other animation:
Gnomeo & Juliet (!!! I've been waiting for this for years)

I know that there's supposed to be a new Ron 'n John film in the works. And wasn't Joe Jump put back into production?!? And Yellow Submarine wasn't talked about (thank goodness...ugh). But, I guess this is just through 2012, so I shouldn't get my panties in a bunch just yet.
blackcauldron85
GLIB

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:58 am

From Variety:
Ross raises curtain - Disney chief sets 'Monsters' sequel, 'Brave' release date
MARC GRASER wrote:Rich Ross isn't known for being a man of few words. Yet outside of the occasional appearance at an awards show or premiere, Disney's studio chairman has kept mum since taking the job last fall.

It's been a surprising departure from the exec Hollywood is used to: As the head of Disney Channel, Ross was one of the Mouse House's most vocal cheerleaders.

He might be back. After spending the past six months assembling his new regime, culminating with this week's hire of MT Carney as marketing chief, Ross met with the media for the first time Thursday to unveil his blueprint to move the Mouse House forward.

It involves making 14-16 movies per year coming from Disney's live-action and animated divisions, Marvel and DreamWorks. All will be financed by the studio and continue its tradition of not relying on outside financing or partners on projects.

Ross announced a sequel for Pixar's "Monsters, Inc." for Nov. 16, 2012, and a June 15, 2012, release date for Pixar's "Brave," a project that had not previously been announced.

Carney will take the reins of marketing in mid-May with broader responsibilities, handling marketing for all pics from theatrical and through their homevideo releases -- "the whole life cycle of a movie," Ross said.

"Our job No. 1 is to make great movies, get the word out that they're coming out and deliver them to consumers the way they want it," he said.

"I need to make movies that are profitable and that's what I need to focus on," Ross said from the Disney lot as he unveiled new footage from a muscular slate of tentpoles skedded for this year that include "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time," "Toy Story 3," "The Sorcerer's Apprentice," "Tangled" and "Tron: Legacy," as well as "Secretariat," with Diane Lane and John Malkovich. He described that pic as one that "sends a signal of what Disney is and what Disney can be."

Pic falls into a category that Ross describes as a "targeted tentpole," one like the teen-skewing dramedy "Prom," that can be made at a lower pricetag and for a specific audience.

Ross said Disney would release "Gnomeo & Juliet," the Elton John-produced animated musical produced by Miramax, in early 2011, through the Touchstone banner. Pic had been one of several that had been in mentioned to be in contention as Disney negotiates with bidders for Miramax. Miramax's Jennifer Aniston comedy "The Switch"

will also bow this August through Touchstone.

"Cars 2," the fourth "Pirates," the next "Muppet" movie (which will intro a new Muppet named Walter) and DreamWorks' "Real Steel" also unspool in 2011.

Tim Burton's stop-motion pic "Frankenweenie" and Andrew Stanton's live-action epic "John Carter of Mars" also bow in 2012.

As for projects he pulled the plug on, "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" was just "too dark." But he added, it is "still a project we're considering."In the big picture, Ross said his priority was to bring a tight focus and diversity to Disney's film slate.

"We live in times where there are less opportunities to bring in revenue," he said. "While pet projects are fun, it's important that everyone is focused."

"What you see is a slate that will have a diversity of pictures," he said. But while there's an emphasis on the bottomline, "we're still in the movie business not the business business."

Studio also announced plans for a May 17 tribute to Jerry Bruckheimer in conjunction with the "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time" premiere.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:54 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby blackcauldron85 on Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:25 am

TheButcher wrote:Ross said Disney would release "Gnomeo & Juliet," the Elton John-produced animated musical produced by Miramax, in early 2011, through the Touchstone banner. Pic had been one of several that had been in mentioned to be in contention as Disney negotiates with bidders for Miramax.

Good. I was curious as to how this was getting distributed.

As far as Prom goes, I really don't know what direction they're going in; when I read about it a while back, the article(s) was/were more about how it won't be a musical, and talking about High School Musical and whatnot. Reading the article you posted, though, it made me think of the Disney comedies of the '60s, '70s, and early '80s (like The Monkey's Uncle and Midnight Madness. The latter has more "raunch" than the average Disney film, and although dated, maybe Prom would go down that route? Not that Rich Ross = Ron Miller, but still... I'm interested to hear more about the project, though.
blackcauldron85
GLIB

Postby blackcauldron85 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:51 am

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... begin.html

Additionally, “A Bug’s Life” sequel is slated for release in winter 2013.

Holy crap. I love all the Pixar films, and I'm not necessarily against well-made sequels, but holy crap. What is going on over at Pixar? Are they wanting to make extra money on the films, so they're going the cheaper route (since the character models should already be in the computer systems?)?!? Part of me is definitely excited to have another adventure with Flik & friends, but this is a shocker.
blackcauldron85
GLIB

Postby TheButcher on Wed May 12, 2010 1:19 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon May 17, 2010 5:33 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Disney’s Tangled

Postby TheButcher on Mon May 31, 2010 1:47 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:28 am

From AWN:
Sanjay Patel Talks Ramayana: Divine Loophole

From Jim Hill:
“Ramayana: Divine Loophole” is filled with inspiration for aspiring artists & animators
In fact, Sanjay did such a spectacular job with “Ramayana: Divine Loophole” that … Well, rumors have been flying lately that one of the feature length projects that Walt Disney Animation Studios currently has in development is a cinematic retelling of Ramayana.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:23 pm

From Blue Sky Disney Monday, July 12, 2010:
Sophomore Year, Medfield College...

Honor Hunter wrote:On this day, thirty-eight years ago, Walt Disney Productions "Now You See Him, Now You Don't" was released in theaters...

I loved watching these silly, flippant, and just plain fun films as a kid. I mean, really, how cool could a school be that Kurt Russell attended? The film, was the second in the "Dexter Reilly" trilogy of films featuring the wacky antics of some way out college kids, set in Medfield College. I would call it the Medfield Trilogy, but these are not the only films set in the well known, yet fictional college. "The Absent-Minded Professor" and "Son of Flubber" as well as the remake, "Flubber" were all set at the school. Bet most of you didn't know that, did ya? Also, the fight song of the school that we hear in the Fred MacMurray film was composed by none other than the Sherman Brothers.

In case you don't remember, here are the three films:

"The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes" (1969)

"Now You See Him, Now You Don't" (1972)

"The Strongest Man in the World" (1975)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:47 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:32 am

From Hitfix (by way of Facebook):

Pixar posts development art of their cancelled project 'Newt'

This movie will probably never see the light of day, but I think it's kind of cool that Pixar let people get a look at what they were working on, at least
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:30 am

Ribbons wrote:From Hitfix (by way of Facebook):

Pixar posts development art of their cancelled project 'Newt'

This movie will probably never see the light of day, but I think it's kind of cool that Pixar let people get a look at what they were working on, at least

Saw the pictures the other day.... interesting and all, but I really wish Pixar would develop other styles of animation, particularly with their humans.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: BRAVE

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:48 pm

From THR:
Pixar announces first female director - Brenda Chapman will also write animated film
Lindsay Powers wrote:Pixar has named its first female director, Brenda Chapman, who will also write the animated film, Brave.

Voicing characters in the movie, which is Pixar's 13th: Reese Witherspoon, Billy Connolly, Emma Thompson, and Julie Walters.

Disney says the flick, which was previously titled "The Bear and the Bow," is about a tomboyish royal named Merida who would rather focus on archery. After getting into a fight with her mom, she makes a reckless choice that has serious consequences to her father's kingdom, putting all their lives in peril.

It will be produced by Katherine Sarafian and is slated to be released on June 15, 2012.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:39 pm

From Variety:
Disney's 'Magic' ride - Theme park to star in film

Marc Graser wrote:While Disney is giving its more popular theme park attractions, like "Pirates of the Caribbean" and "The Haunted Mansion," the bigscreen treatment, what happens when it runs out of rides to adapt?

All roads may lead to the Magic Kingdom, with the Mouse House considering making one of its theme parks the setting of a family adventure similar to Fox's "Night at the Museum" franchise.

Ronald Moore, behind the recent reboot of the "Battlestar Galactica" TV series, already penned a script based on his own pitch for the project that Marc Abraham and Eric Newman will produce through their Universal-based Strike Entertainment shingle. The initial plot took place inside Disneyland.

But Disney and the producers are looking to develop "Magic Kingdom" further with a new scribe, who has yet to be hired.

While executives say the project isn't a top priority, it is one they're keeping their eyes on as a potential platform that could showcase a number of high-profile Disney characters, including Mickey Mouse and friends.

In other words, it would feature well-known Disney-owned icons rather than hint at them the way "Enchanted" did in 2007.

Disney's Hyperion already publishes Ridley Pearson's similar-sounding kidlit series, "Kingdom Keepers," where a group of Florida teens are transformed into holographic guides at Disney World and battle "Sleeping Beauty's" evil queen Maleficent as the park's characters come to life.

Idea of a park-to-pic adaptation is nothing to scoff at, considering the "Pirates" franchise has earned $2.7 billion worldwide since the first set sail in 2003.

But "Magic Kingdom" brings with it a number of complications, given the precious real estate and iconic characters involved -- one creative misstep could create one very expensive headache for a studio that's starting to get back on track at the box office.

Disney is keen on producing more family-friendly films that can turn into strong franchises for all of the company's divisions, and propel a slate of pics that also includes feel-good fare like the horse racing drama "Secretariat" and teen-skewing comedy "Prom."

"Magic Kingdom" had already been in development before Rich Ross took the reins of the studio and tapped Sean Bailey as president of production.

Some at the studio are referring to "Magic Kingdom" as Disney's own "Justice League" or "The Avengers" -- movies that need other films to rollout at the megaplex in order to introduce audiences -- especially younger moviegoers -- to a cast of characters or overall properties they may not be fully familiar with.

At Warner Bros., "Justice League" would star DC Comics icons like Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and the Flash, while Marvel's "Avengers" features Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and the Incredible Hulk -- characters that are getting their own pics first before teaming up. Paramount is distributing the actioner in summer 2012.

For now, Disney is focusing on launching "Tron: Legacy" in December, a reboot that will be prominently integrated into Anaheim's California Adventure park starting next week. A fourth "Pirates of the Caribbean" is lensing in Hawaii, while Guillermo del Toro is readying an adaptation of "The Haunted Mansion," and David Fincher is behind a new "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" actioner, whose original version was the basis of Disneyland's original submarine ride. Also in development are scripts based on the "Jungle Cruise" ride and "Tomorrowland," an outer space adventure that loosely ties in with the themed area of Disneyland.

Separately, Disney is eager to get new takes on classic characters like Maleficent that Tim Burton will helm after successfully relaunching "Alice in Wonderland" as a billion-dollar hit at the box office. A live-action retelling of "Cinderella" is also in the works, while the upcoming "Tangled" is an animated take on Rapunzel.

All could eventually wind up in "Magic Kingdom" in some form.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Pixar's Brave

Postby TheButcher on Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:55 am

Peven wrote:trouble at Pixar?

Brenda Chapman Exits Pixar's Brave
Source: Cartoon Brew
October 18, 2010

"Cartoon Brew has learned that Brenda Chapman, who was to be the first woman director at Disney•Pixar for Brave, is now no longer with the studio.

The site says that story artist Mark Andrews (who also co-directed the Pixar short One Man Band) has taken over directorial duties.

Chapman previously directed The Prince of Egypt at DreamWorks.

Brave is being voiced by Reese Witherspoon, Billy Connolly, Emma Thompson and Julie Walters.

Opening in theaters on June 15, 2012, it is the tale of impetuous, tangle-haired Merida who, though a daughter of royalty, would prefer to make her mark as a great archer. A clash of wills with her mother compels Merida to make a reckless choice, which unleashes unintended peril on her father's kingdom and her mother's life. Merida struggles with the unpredictable forces of nature, magic and a dark, ancient curse to set things right. "

From THR:
Pixar's 'Brave' Move: Reshuffling of Directors
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:26 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:31 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:50 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Bayouwolf on Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:14 pm

I can see it taking over space at EPCOT, but not the Magic Kingdom. They have a few "dated" rides in Tomorrowland but not the space needed for a full on new attraction unless they build it in the air (like the people mover). Besides, the house of Mouse needs to drive more people to the aging Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow (which is fast becoming today). I can see a TRON ride doing just that.

I hope it happens.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

PreviousNext

Return to Animation