Top 10 Animes!

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Postby Seppuku on Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:40 pm

Al_Shut wrote:
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl wrote:I don't know if it can be any worse than DBZ (sorry Vegeta if you're reading this ^^;).

In terms of wasting time sure. Or at least it's more obvious as most episodes have a timer. I mi9ght be exaggerating out of fuzzy memory but it takes the characters 4 to 5 episodes (22 minutes?) to do a 'mission' with an time limit of one hour. And overalol I found the series to lead completely nowhere.

I think I'm enjoying it more because I'm watching them all at once, so it doesn't seem so drawn out to me. Also, German dubs are even worse than American ones I hear. Or at least it seems that way whenever I change the audio track on one of my DVDs... I've watched German films, and I've known German people, no one in real life speaks like they do on those Godawful dubs. Mein Gott!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby papalazeru on Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:44 pm

The Spanish dub was actually quite impressive. That's how I got into DBZ when I was about 15.

I got a huge catalogue of the comices in Castillion and Catalan.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Al Shut on Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:16 pm

Usually I don't mind dubs and prefer them to the alternatives, although it's of course difficult to judge the quality without knowing and understanding the original.

The gantz dub however didn't strike me as awful
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Toonol on Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:21 pm

Off the top of my head:

Millennium Actress
Princess Mononoke
Paranoia Agent
Grave of the Fireflies
Lain
Last Exile
Whisper of the Heart
Full Metal Alchemist
Perfect Blue
Cowboy Bebop

I'm not as huge fan of some of the classics of the genre, like Akira or Ghost in the Shell. They're good movies, but I think they've been put on a bit of a pedestal... probably because they're the first encounter many of us had with serious, cool, anime.
Toonol
GLIB

Postby Fawst on Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:59 pm

Bite your tongue, sir! Akira isn't on a pedestal because it was what popped most people's cherry. It's on a pedestal because it's still one of the all-time best examples of traditional hand-drawn animation. Until Cowboy Bebop and Jin-Roh came along, it was also the best score out there.

That being said, most of us grew up with it and have a close place in our heart. It's still better than 90% of the cookie cutter shit that gets released today.

I think Cool Devices deserves a nod in here ;)
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:11 pm

I don't have a top 10, because I don't watch that many.

Sailor Moon
Full Metal Alchemist
Cowboy Bebop

For film: Paprika!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:24 pm

Cowboy Bebop
Metropolis
Akira
Castle In The Sky
Spirited Away
Appleseed Ex Machina (yes, I liked the sequel more)
Ghost In The Shell
Neon Genesis Evangelon
Wonderful Days(aka Sky Blue) - not the greatest, but DAMN is it pretty!

I'm sure I forgot something.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: Top 10 animes of all-time

Postby Snipes's Ghost on Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:09 pm

This was kind of tricky:

1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Nadesico
3. Samurai Champloo
4. FLCL
5. Naruto
6. DNA-2
7. Slayers
8. Lain
9. Evangelion
10. Berserk
Always bet on Snipes.
Snipes's Ghost
GLIB

Re: Top 10 Animes!

Postby JHawkXero on Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:54 am

1. BLEACH

2.Full Metal Panic! (ALL, most importantly though, TSR)

3. Full Metal Alchemist

4. Ergo Proxy

5. Neon Genesis Evangelion

6. Gungrave

7. Afro Samurai

8. Black Lagoon

9. Cowboy Bebop

10. Samurai Champloo

Movie wise, I haven't seen that many. Fav's gotta be

Vampire Hunter D (and Bloodlust)

Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children (if you count it as anime.)

Appleseed Ex Machina (Still needs to see Appleseed)
JHawkXero
GLIB

Postby whatakrok on Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:38 am

Here's my top ten (in no specific order):
Cowboy Bebop
Hellsing: Ultimate
Full Metal Alchemist
Ghost in the Shell: SAC (season 1)
Spriggan
Blood: The Last Vampire
Appleseed
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innonence
Dragonball/DragonballZ (GT sucked)
Read or Die (OAV)
It was pretty dificult to list only the top ten ... I'm sure I left a couple out, but it's hard to think with a head full of whiskey!!

Honorable mention:
Porco Rosso
Ninja Scroll
Berserk
Fooly Cooly
Akira (do yourself a favor and read the manga)
Ghost in the Shell (see above)
whatakrok
GLIB

Postby Nancy on Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:46 am

Mine would be-

10. Escaflowne
9. Trigun
8. Spirited Away
7. Neon Genesis Evangeleon
6. Vampire Hunter D
5. Princess Mononoke
4. Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust
3. Akira
2. Grave of the Fireflies
1. Cowboy Bebop
Nancy
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Seppuku on Fri May 22, 2009 5:32 pm

I've been watching one of Miyazaki's first projects, Future Boy Conan, after Scott Green name-dropped it in his column the other day. It's at least in my top 3 favourite things he's done, simply because of the sheer quantity of Miyazaki goodness: 26 half hour episodes.

This was written a little before Miyazaki started work on the Nausicaa movie and manga series of the same name (also in my Miyazaki top 3), so he's in his eco-friendly mode where it seems that the world is a character in itself. Technically it's an adaptation of a book written by the guy who wrote Escape to Witch Mountain, but from what I hear Miyazaki just used it as a launching pad to do his own thang. It's set in around 2008- which is to say 30 years in the "future" from when it first came out. The world got kinda fucked up. The blurb at the beginning of each episode reads something like: "A devastating war fought between two major nations with ultramagnetic weapons far greater than anything seen earlier brings about total chaos and destruction throughout the world, resulting in several earthquakes and tidal waves, the earth thrown off its axis, its crust being rocked by massive movements, and the five continents being torn completely apart and sinking deep below the sea."

It's pretty crazy to think that this is what kids were given for entertainment back in the late '70s. There's no pandering at all, a fair bit of swearing, and the main character, who must be about 10 or 11, gets beaten to a pulp at least five times throughout the series. But Miyazaki and crew inject so much life into these characters... Even the comic relief- a dopey sea-captain named Dyce and Conan's best friend, Jimsy, who kind of reminds me of a young Pigsy (from Monkey)- are written with empathy. Conan and the girl who washes up on his island, Lana, almost form a psychic connection as the series goes on. It's touching, eh?

I'm pretty sure Miyazaki cannibalized this work for a few ideas in his later movies. It most reminds me of Castle in the Sky. In fact, the two main characters in that one seem VERY similar to Lana and Conan. Except they didn't have 26 episodes in order to get fleshed out.

There's a bit of repetition, some there and back agains, and I guess some people might find the eco message a little preachy, as do a few detractors of Nausicaa... Also, the animation is a tiny bit more primitive than some of his later works (though he'll still drop the occasional backdrop that'll knock you out). However, Miyazaki's one of the masters of his medium and I don't see how any fan could pass up on the opportunity of seeing more of his work.

Technically there's been a DVD release, but the subtitles were pretty horrendous, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was of dubious origins. I'd recommend streaming the series on Veoh with fan subs. I find that anime loses surprisingly little when streamed. Hit me with a Pm if you want the link. It's definitely one of my Top 10 Anime series so far.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Ribbons on Fri May 22, 2009 9:14 pm

Damn, I have never heard of this. For a second I thought you were talking about that TV show "Case Closed" with the boy detective, since in Japan it's called "Super Young Conan Man" or something. Sounds pretty interesting, Sepp.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Seppuku on Sat May 23, 2009 5:22 am

Yeah, I hadn't heard of it until I saw it name-dropped in that piece Scott did on The Mysterious Cities of Gold (which also looks really good). It looks like there's a shitload of late '70s and early '80s anime (often co-European productions) that I really need to check out.

Case Closed also looks interesting, but I just saw that there've been twenty six seasons since 1996! I know I've got a lot of free time on my hands, but I don't think even I could manage watching all of those without my friends and family wondering if I'd done a Howard Hughes.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Al Shut on Sat May 23, 2009 5:54 am

Detectiv Conan (asssuming that's what you're talking about) is pretty entertaining but you really don't need to watch every episode. That would be like watching every episode of Law and Order.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Hermanator X on Sat May 23, 2009 6:15 am

If you havent seen cities of gold, go for it.

Its without a doubt the cartoon I have the fondest memories of as a kid, and the first "event" show for me, as such that I HAD to be in front of the box for it week in week out. It was a huge deal for me as a kid, and I can still recall a whole lot of it.

Im excited to show it to a kid of mine one day. Hopefully it holds up.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:40 am

Found this anime series called Kaiba by the director of the utterly awesome Mind Game that's [Larry David voice]pretty, pretty, interesting[/Larry David voice] if a little hard to make heads or tails off.

Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Re: Top 10 Animes of 2011!

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:40 am

From Hero Complex:
‘Summer Wars,’ ‘Fullmetal Alchemist’ lead Top 10 of 2011 anime
Charles Solomon wrote:Just as 2011 was the year of the sequel in American animation, many of the year’s best anime releases were sequels, continuations or reworkings of familiar properties. But the reimagined versions often improved on the original. The characters and story lines in many of the year’s top anime may be familiar, but the filmmakers have taken it up a notch—and in some cases, several notches.

1. “Summer Wars”:
In this imaginative science fiction tale, director Mamoru Hosoda juxtaposes the brightly colored CG cyber-realm of Oz with the drawn world of everyday reality. High school math ace Kenji must defeat a renegade AI program in the former and deal with his classmate Natsuki’s quarrelsome clan family in the latter. Hosoda’s deft blending of romance, comedy, action and distinctive visual imagery confirms his place as one of the most interesting directors working in Japan. Although it had a brief theatrical release here in 2010, “Summer Wars” made its video debut in 2011. (Read more)

2. “Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Parts 4 and 5″:
Director Yasuhiro Irie and his crew pull out all the stops to bring the re-imagined “Fullmetal Alchemist” to a slam-bang conclusion. The Elric Brothers and their allies must defeat the “Father” of the Homunculi and four of his soulless creations to prevent the deaths of thousands of innocent people. The climactic battle scenes boast spectacular effects, but the emotional impact eclipses them. Edward and Alphonse Elric demonstrate the depth of their commitment to each other in the dramatic and moving conclusion. (Read more)

3. “Neon Genesis Evangelion 2.22 You Can [Not] Advance”:
In the second installment in the four-feature reworking of his watershed series “Neon Genesis Evangelion,” Hideaki Anno diverges further from the original story line–and pushes the visual boundaries. The cinematography is more dynamic, the animation more polished and special effects more imaginative. The final battle, with its rainbow colors, titanic explosions and strange lighting will be influencing artists on both sides of the Pacific for years to come. (Read more)

4. “Eden of the East: The King of Eden” and “Eden of the East: Paradise Lost”:
The two “Eden of the East” features continue the story of the hit TV series. Takizawa vanished in New York at the end of the program; Saki must find him and bring him back to Japan to end the elaborate political game he’s a part of. “Eden of the East” focuses on the need for young people to revitalize the faltering spirit and economy of Japan, which seems prescient: Record numbers of students have volunteered to assist in the cleanup of the earthquake and tsunami. Director Kenji Kamiyama ends the saga on an appropriately ambiguous note.

5. “Fairy Tail: Part 1″:
Director Shinji Ishihara and his crew give the slapstick adventure series “Fairy Tail” a freewheeling insanity that’s hard to resist. When young celestial wizard Lucy joins the eccentric guild Fairy Tail, she’s paired with three of its zaniest members. Fire wizard Natsu is subject to violent motion sickness; ice wizard Gary keeps losing his clothes and fighting enemies in his boxers. Hot-tempered Erza is no saner than the other two. The outré quartet battles demons and evil wizards, but they inflict so much damage on the surrounding villages, they get into hot water with the Council of Elders.

6. “Bleach the Movie: Fade to Black”:
The supernatural adventure “Bleach” has enjoyed a loyal following since it debuted in 2004. “Fade to Black” is the most engaging of the theatrical features based on the series. It packs more of an emotional punch than “Memories of Nobody” and presents flashier battle sequences than “Diamond Dust Rebellion.” This energetic yet moving film is sure to delight fans of the long-running “Bleach” series–and Tite Kubo’s original manga.

7. “Trigun: Badlands Rumble”:
“Badlands Rumble” marks the long-awaited return of Vash the Stampede, the Humanoid Typhoon, more than a decade after the “Trigun” broadcast series concluded. Not surprisingly, he meets up with his old friend, gun-totin’ preacher Nicholas D. Wolfwood, and Meryl Strife and Milly Thompson of the Bernardelli Insurance Society. Some good deeds do go unpunished, and Vash learns that an apparently simple roll of the dice can have far-reaching consequences. (Read more)

8. “The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya”:

This theatrical feature reunites the characters, crew and vocal cast of the popular series “The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.” Directors Tatsuya Ishihara and Yasuhiro Takemoto build the suspense skillfully, playing on uncertainties of the long suffering narrator Kyon–and the viewer. “Disappearance” has a darker tone than the knockabout TV series, and it’s about 15 minutes too long. It’s a good film, but with some tightening, it could have been a great one.

9. “Transformers Japanese Collection: Headmasters”:

In 1987, the toy company Takara and the Toei studio created an alternate version of “Transformers,” with characters and story lines geared to the Japanese market, that has never been released in America. The familiar Autobots and Decepticons are replaced by a new cadre of transforming robots. As in the earlier series, friendships are forged, battles are fought, and good robots triumph over evil ones. The animation is extremely limited and the Japanese voice cast overacts shamelessly, but “Headmasters” offers “Transformers” fans a special mixture of nostalgia and new adventures.

10. “Rurouni Kenshin: The Movie”:
This theatrical feature bridges the popular broadcast series “Rurouni Kenshin” and its more violent prequel, “Samurai X.” Skinny, red-haired Kenshin Himura was the greatest assassin of the Meiji restoration; the scars on his soul mark him more decisively than the X on his right cheek. Kenshin abandons killing and strives for peace, with some help from a mismatched trio of friends. Director Hatsuki Tsuji builds subtle patterns from falling tears, fluttering bamboo leaves and the deadly stroke of Kenshin’s sword to create a striking film with an unusually satisfying resolution.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Animation