Grave of the Fireflies - Talk about it

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Grave of the Fireflies - Talk about it

Postby Juno Reactor on Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:19 pm

Hi everybody,

I'm close to buying "Grave of the Fireflies: Collector's Edition," and I was hoping that you people here could elaborate on why you love (or NOT love) the film to help persuade me one way or another.

A little bit about myself to help you with your recommendations (or words of caution):

- From Studio Ghibli, I've seen Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro, Porco Rosso, and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind... and of those, I own the first four on DVD (with Porco bound to follow, along with Totoro and Howl when Disney releases them in March; still on the fence about Nausicaa, though I will get it sooner or later for completion's sake)

- I love a good story, and most of all, one with humanity, which is what makes "Fireflies" look appealing to me. I am very sensitive to the suffering of others; I'm a pacifist, I detest capital punishment and torture, and I promote helping the needy, the downtrodden, and those discriminated against. This movie looks like it could strengthen my resolve...

On another note, how is the English dub? Do the voice actors sound good? Are the words synched well with the mouths?

Tell me everything you like and/or dislike about this movie. Tell me how it's moved you, what enjoyment you found in it, how profoundly it's affected you and those you know, how watchable it is and the quality of its artistry, soundtrack, attention to detail, and narrative. Just gush about it!

Thanks,
- JR
Juno Reactor
GLIB

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:49 pm

I love the movie. Its absolutely heartbreaking. Buy it, watch it, love it.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Iconoclastica on Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:24 pm

I actually have it on VHS with the English dub, and as someone who usually watches animes with fan subs, subs, or dub, I gotta say, I have no complaints. I'll warn you that it's one of the only couple of movies to ever make me shed a tear . . . and it's wonderful. You will be affected by this movie should you choose to buy it. I really don't want to share too much, seeing as we're bound to spoil it for you - just buy it, you won't regret it.

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:45 pm

It's also fascinating from a historical standpoint. A lot of people argue that the devastating attacks on Japan near the end of WWII have contributed a lot to the country's zeitgeist (all the anti-war movies, beginning with Godzilla). It's certainly an interesting contrast to the way Japan saw themselves before the war in any case. This is a snapshot of that point in time.

And it's unbelievably heartbreaking. The children are basically let down by everyone.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:13 am

The English Dub onna the collector's edition, she is a the good one, eh?

Is a the Disney planning onna to release a this title? Iffa so, I would a buy it now before a they re-dub a the movie, eh? Anna here's a why...

By not a recognizing a the voices as a the celebrities, it helps a the movie to convey a the sense that a these are a just a the kids, eh? (i.e. not a the Haley Joel Osmet or a some other putz)
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Iconoclastica on Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:47 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:The English Dub onna the collector's edition, she is a the good one, eh?

Is a the Disney planning onna to release a this title? Iffa so, I would a buy it now before a they re-dub a the movie, eh? Anna here's a why...

By not a recognizing a the voices as a the celebrities, it helps a the movie to convey a the sense that a these are a just a the kids, eh? (i.e. not a the Haley Joel Osmet or a some other putz)

I haven't heard anything, but I would imagine that they wouldn't be planning to, if only because it was released in 1988 . . . I've never heard of a major distribution company suddenly picking up a movie almost twenty years after its release, but I could definitely be wrong. Regardless, I wholeheartedly agree with you Dino - it would be a shame for the respectable way in which the movie was handled to be overshadowed by the Hollywood effect.

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Brocktune on Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:55 pm

the movie is a masterpiece. a real coup for anime, and animation in general. but the thing is, you are going to be slitting your wrists by the end, every time you watch it. i loved it, but ill be dipped if it aint the most depressing, heartwrenching, lump in your throat, youd better not watch it with your buddies lest you be forever branded as a blubbering sissy cartoon ive ever seen. i want to cry right now just thinking about it. love this movie!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LeFlambeur on Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:01 pm

Contains one of the best closing shots in the history of cinema. First we see the two children. Then the camera moves up revealing post war Japanese prosperity. Two effects of the war. The knife is twisted, the movie ends.
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Evil Hobbit on Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:29 am

Agree with all posts above, heartbreaking film. Even the thoughest egg will break while seeing this film. Beauty and masterpiece written all over it.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Al Shut on Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:26 am

For me the movie was too heartbreaking. I saw it on tv and missed the first couple of miutes so I had no idea how the movie would end and it really took me down.

The only movie I recomend everone not to see because its too good.

I for myself won't see it ever again.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Return to Animation