Page 1 of 1

Dragonball Z

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:24 pm
by colonel_lugz
Hands up who likes Dragonball Z?..........(Vegetas lone arm waves franticly in the distance)

I fucking love DBZ, and to a lesser extent DB, and I dont really like GT that much at all. I just wanted to express my love for this wonderful cartoon.....Cartoon!! I hear you say!! Surely you mean the comic????........NO, I never got into the comics, my only exposure to DBZ has been through the Cartoon Network (argueably the best channel ever!)

So.....those of you who know of what I speak i here by invite you to join me in the act of posting about all things Dragonball. Whos your fave character? Best ep? where the hell is the live action movie?? who would play which parts??

KAAAAAAAMMEEE................HAAAAAAMMMEEEEEE..................HAAAAAAAAA!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:34 pm
by ThisIsTheGirl
I also love DBZ - although most of the episodes I've seen were in spanish, with a friend translating on-the-fly. This is about 8 years ago, but it is indeed an awesome cartoon, and I have to say, the voices on the spanish one were loads better.

Plus, it's Vegeta, you putz.....

ETA: and the ep where he first turns Super Saiyan is my favourite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:02 pm
by CthulhuKid
I was really into DBZ, but lost it with GT.

Goku has always been my fav. I'm a sucker for a moronic hero I guess. :-)

Fav ep? I always liked the Kid Buu episodes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:05 pm
by Vegeta
Owww.... Owwww... Owwwww.... (waving arm frantically)

I am about exactly like you Colonel. I like Dragonball, love Dragonball Z, and never really watched Dragonball GT.

I was hoping for a live action film, but Matrix:Revolutions stole the look I think with the end fight between Neo and Agent Smith. I remember sitting in the theatre thinking "that's soooooo Dragonball Z".

As far as favorite characters, well, duh, Vegeta of course. But I love Goku too, because he's such an idiot sometimes. And who can't love Mr. Satan! Or good Buu.

Favorite episodes, now that's harder. I might just go with sagas. I love the Trunks saga, Andriod saga, the Great Sayiaman saga is just silly, I love the three episodes with the Junior wolrd Martial Arts Championship pretty much til the end of the show (I know it's like 80 or 90 episodes, but I like it damnit!) My all time favorite episode might be the last episode of the Cell Games saga where Trunks returns to the future and kills all the andriods and cell.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:07 pm
by colonel_lugz
Piccollo was always my fave, but i felt thet left him behind towards the end, he was meant to be badass but became the new guardian instead.


My fave saga has to be the Cell Games, followed by Garlic Jr saga.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:15 pm
by colonel_lugz
Vegeta wrote:
I was hoping for a live action film, but Matrix:Revolutions stole the look I think with the end fight between Neo and Agent Smith. I remember sitting in the theatre thinking "that's soooooo Dragonball Z".


thats EXACTLY what I thought when i watched that!!!!, great minds and all that, eh?

There was a lot of rumour flying around a couple of years ago saying Roloan Emerich was going to direct a live action version, a fake teaser poster even emerged which got me really excited. But,alas, no more has ever been mentiond. I honestly believe it could totally work as a movie, there is just so much to play with. When I eventually make it as a film maker thats gonna be on my list of things to do, but I hope someone beats me to it cos i'd love to watch it.

Who would you cast for which roles?, Bill Goldberg would make the best Nappa (it was rumoured that he was gonna play him)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:21 pm
by DinoDeLaurentiis
ThisIsTheGirl wrote:I also love DBZ - although most of the episodes I've seen were in spanish, with a friend translating on-the-fly.


You know, I remember a the time back onna the set of a Kong, when a Jeff Bridges, he gave a me some spanish-onna-the-fly... I dinna get a to sleep at alla for like a the 3 nights!. Goddamn putz, he told a me it was a the sedative, eh?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:39 pm
by Vegeta
colonel_lugz wrote:
Vegeta wrote:
I was hoping for a live action film, but Matrix:Revolutions stole the look I think with the end fight between Neo and Agent Smith. I remember sitting in the theatre thinking "that's soooooo Dragonball Z".


thats EXACTLY what I thought when i watched that!!!!, great minds and all that, eh?

There was a lot of rumour flying around a couple of years ago saying Roloan Emerich was going to direct a live action version, a fake teaser poster even emerged which got me really excited. But,alas, no more has ever been mentiond. I honestly believe it could totally work as a movie, there is just so much to play with. When I eventually make it as a film maker thats gonna be on my list of things to do, but I hope someone beats me to it cos i'd love to watch it.

Who would you cast for which roles?, Bill Goldberg would make the best Nappa (it was rumoured that he was gonna play him)


I think Goldberg would be perfect for Nappa. If that's the saga they would want to do.

Tell you what, in my head that would be a very difficult movie to cast...
Sean Astin as Krillen?
Hugh Jackman as Vegeta?
?????????????? as Goku?
?????????????? as Picollo?
?????????????? as Gohan? (young or adult?)
?????????????? as Yamcha?
?????????????? as Tien?
?????????????? as Bulma?
?????????????? as Chi Chi?
?????????????? as Goten?
?????????????? as Trunks?

Who should the baddie be? That would make a big difference in ages of the characters (especially Gohan, Goten, and Trunks)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:50 pm
by colonel_lugz
Jackman is far too tall for Vegeta (to tall for Logan too if you really want to know), Vegeta is the ultimate angry short man so you'd need an actor who would reflect that. But as far as casting goes in general would you go for the american acotors to make it something more 'Hollywood' or go with Asian actors with a few big names?? or just a groupf of unknowns from all areas of the globe?? the last one is my personnal choice as that is what the 'Z' fighters are all about.

I would like to see them go from the start with the Saiyan Saga, and I would emit certain characters like Chow Tzu (spelling?)

Not to sure about Astin as Krillin, i really like the character and was a bit miffed that they turned him into a complete joke of a man towards the end.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:00 pm
by Vegeta
colonel_lugz wrote:Jackman is far too tall for Vegeta (to tall for Logan too if you really want to know), Vegeta is the ultimate angry short man so you'd need an actor who would reflect that. But as far as casting goes in general would you go for the american acotors to make it something more 'Hollywood' or go with Asian actors with a few big names?? or just a groupf of unknowns from all areas of the globe?? the last one is my personnal choice as that is what the 'Z' fighters are all about.

I would like to see them go from the start with the Saiyan Saga, and I would emit certain characters like Chow Tzu (spelling?)

Not to sure about Astin as Krillin, i really like the character and was a bit miffed that they turned him into a complete joke of a man towards the end.


I think you'd have to get like a midget wrestler to play Krillen then. He's pretty small, like kid sized.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:51 pm
by Chairman Kaga
I like when things actually occur on DBZ which can be few and far between.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:01 pm
by cinephile2000
I love this show and also was totally thinking that was goku and vegeta going at tiin the matrix. I think a movie would use the Freeza saaga. But that also introduces a whole new planet so I don't know. It would be an awesome movie.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:33 pm
by colonel_lugz
Dragonball Z in a nutshell

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=31681

you'll love this Vegeta!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:42 pm
by Al Shut
I always liked Dragonball more than Dragonball Z, especially the tournaments.

Any live action Dragonball should be helmed by Stephen Chow. He could do the right mix between silly humor and over the top cartoon action.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm
by colonel_lugz
Al_Shut wrote:I always liked Dragonball more than Dragonball Z, especially the tournaments.

Any live action Dragonball should be helmed by Stephen Chow. He could do the right mix between silly humor and over the top cartoon action.


WOW!, you are bang on there!!! Stephen Chow has the perfect style for this knid of thing, cant wait for Kung Fu Hustle 2!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:49 pm
by Vegeta
colonel_lugz wrote:Dragonball Z in a nutshell

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=31681

you'll love this Vegeta!


IMPAMPILASH!!!!! That was too damn funny, and fairly true.

Looks like I die (for the first time, that is) on Monday nights Dragonball Z on Cartoon Network 9:30 pm CT. The episode is "Death of a Prince", pretty good for the uninitiated!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:50 pm
by Vegeta
Al_Shut wrote:I always liked Dragonball more than Dragonball Z, especially the tournaments.

Any live action Dragonball should be helmed by Stephen Chow. He could do the right mix between silly humor and over the top cartoon action.


I agree! He would own that movie!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:13 pm
by cap
Vegeta wrote:
colonel_lugz wrote:Dragonba ll Z in a nutshell

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=31681

you'll love this Vegeta!


IMPAMPILASH!!!!! That was too damn funny, and fairly true.

Looks like I die (for the first time, that is) on Monday nights Dragonball Z on Cartoon Network 9:30 pm CT. The episode is "Death of a Prince", pretty good for the uninitiated!


That is nuts. I will start having to watch it more intently. Ignoring the long pregnant pauses with nothing going on.

Seriously I will start watching it more.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:26 pm
by Al Shut
Vegeta wrote:
Al_Shut wrote:Any live action Dragonball should be helmed by Stephen Chow. He could do the right mix between silly humor and over the top cartoon action.


I agree! He would own that movie!


One the other hand while the style of his movies wolud be a perfect match for Dragonball, I can't really see him playing a role in it. Most of them require a ridiculous amount of muscles.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:55 pm
by Vegeta
Vegeta wrote:
colonel_lugz wrote:Dragonba ll Z in a nutshell

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=31681

you'll love this Vegeta!


IMPAMPILASH!!!!! That was too damn funny, and fairly true.

Looks like I die (for the first time, that is) on Monday nights Dragonball Z on Cartoon Network 9:30 pm CT. The episode is "Death of a Prince", pretty good for the uninitiated!


Looks like Cartoon Network is showing that episode tonight instead of last night.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:04 pm
by minstrel
I've only ever watched maybe one episode of DBZ. I didn't like it. I prefer actual animation to "drawing a picture and panning and zooming a camera over it while doing funny things with lighting".

I don't like modern anime at all for the same reason.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:07 pm
by dislexsickNik
I only ever got Briefly into DBZ but i know alot of peeps who are crazy on it.

i do like some of the merch that is out for it a freind bought me a GoKu inflatable punch bag once that was cool

Dragonball Z

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:58 am
by bastard_robo
Image

MUCH DBZ LOVE HERE!

Watched every episode! (except for the end of GT.. lost interest by then)

But never has there been a show with this insane style of fighting in the animation. Nothing has yet to live up to it.

Image
Image
Image

BTW.. has anyone picked up the SEASON 1 or 2 sets yet? Im curious to see how much they put back in to the series that was edited out so poorly.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:42 am
by MonkeyM666
Oh man, I LOVE DBZ! Dragon Ball was ok... and GT I never bothered with, but know the story well. It has to be the greatest display of episodic padding ever seen! I mean it was like 8 eps for Goku to become SS for teh first time. I mean who has the skill to do that and not make the audience bored??!?!?


I LOVE IT SO MUCH!! But I have one bad thing to say about it. I've never seen the full Cell Saga (I’ve seen up to where Cell is fighting Vegeta for the first time)! Or any of the Tournament Saga (Buu) :( I own all of the rest in DBZ but alas... I haven't been treated to the delights of Buu.

I have a soft spot for Brolly for some reason, as well as Turtle….ahhh… and the Monkey Magic nimbus :D So many things to love. My absolute favourite is King Kai! And Gergory…. Love those guys :D:D:D

Image
Image
Image
Image

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:46 am
by colonel_lugz
Dude!

You HAVE to finish the Cell Saga!!

Perfect Cell Vs Gohan is the best fight EVAR

It is literally the BEST Saga!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:34 pm
by MonkeyM666
I will...

I'll be hunting for a copy this weekend... I'd forgot my love until this very moment :D

Dragonball Z

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:28 am
by bastard_robo
The end of the Cell games is perhaps the best in the overall story! Gohan going apeshit mad over the death of 16 and going SS 2 is perhaps the high point of the series!

The Buu saga is great too, but so much happens that it feels a bit clutterd for a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:44 am
by kid on an escalator
I've only read the manga because I can't stand the anime. Sooooo slow and they add too much crap that shouldn't be there.

The best saga is Cell by far imo. Toriyama should have ended it after that. Buu saga is kinda meh in comparison.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:52 am
by Vegeta
As I said earlier in this thread (like a year and a half earlier) the end of the Cell saga is awesome. The fighting is amazing and the very last episode is such a nice capper (future Trunks finishing the job in the future!)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:03 pm
by King Psyz
I have gotten back into it recently by playing the latest Budokai game for PS2. Something like 120 characters to unlock and they smartly make you play through the full story in chronological order to unlock everything.

Took a few days of marathon playing just to unlock SS Goku, now everyone crumbles before me in tournament :P

Re: Dragonball Z

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:49 pm
by papalazeru
I'm just rewatching through Dragonball and Dragonball Z. When I say rewatching - I mean Back2Back, literally. I went through Dragonball in like 2 weeks (150 odd eps)...and now I've been ploughing through Z like a Destructo Disc through butter.

The one thing that bugs me....Chi Chi, lovely woman, but why since she married Goku did she turn all housewifey?

It's such a waste of a strong female role? You have a woman who literally wants to fight her prospective husband to get him, and when she does...does she ever understand than him or her son? NEVER!!!!

Two of the hardest fucking people in the known universe and yet she wishes to impose her will on both of them for a normal existence.

I'm sure after that sentence, there are quite a few men turning their eyes down and to the right with an inner monologue going 'Story of my life'.

Why can she never understand what is going on? I know it's comedic value and everything but it really falls short. I suppose I'm more disappointed that, given that it's a kids show and it has a good level of maturity behind it (it deals with death and the foreboding of possible mortal extinction - even though they do come back a few times), why the hell would you have such a character? It doesn't make sense to me. Surely she would understand at least some of their motivations. CHRIST! She married a fucking fighter?!?!?! He puts his life on the line regularly to save the planet and the universe!!!!