Best Disney Cartoon

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Best Disney Cartoon

Postby Shane on Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:42 am

Now Disney has put out tons ofthese cartoons, not the new Pixar ones, but the old ones like Cinderella, Pinocchio, Black Cauldron, Fox and the Hound, and more recently The Lion King.

I hate these movies.

I hate singing animals and they bore me.

But

Iwatched Fox and the Hound today and it just brought backtose memories of watching it in the theatre with my mom as a Child, and decided to see which Disney Movie Was everyone's favorite.

Maybee I'll start a poll.

My favorite

The Fox and the Hound
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby colonel_lugz on Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:45 am

Emporers New Groove.....soooo fucking funny and truely underrated!!!

"More Broccolli??"
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:52 am

Alladin and Little mermaid, just for the songs *Shane scowles at Lugz*

A wholde New Worls and Part of You World are masterpieces Alan Menkin wrote all the best Disney songs, I have the album
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:58 am

Yeah wow. singing animals. oh well I asked for it.

I don't think I've really seen much of Emperors new groove, but my wife loves it. Maybee I'll watch it with her after hearing what you said about it.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby psychedelic on Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:00 am

Either Cinderella or Lady and The Tramp. Beauty & The Beast is good too; the "Be Our Guest" number is classic.

But my favorite all time favorite Disney stuff are Donald Duck cartoons and Goofy's How-To shorts. These will always be hilarious.
psychedelic
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:09 am

I think I'd have to go with Beauty and the Beast.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:19 am

My favorite classic era Disney movie is Pinocchio. Modern Disney would be Beauty and the Beast. I think they hit a bit of a dry spell in the late '60s through the late '80s.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby buster00 on Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:23 am

For my money, if I'm gonna watch a Disney movie, it's gotta be something pre-death-of-Walt.

My favorite's The Jungle Book. It was the first movie I ever saw in a theater. It also happens to be the last animated feature to have been overseen (in part) by Disney himself. Go fig.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:42 am

My favorites from the old days include Snow White, Pinocchio, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Lady and the Tramp and Alice in Wonderland.

Newer ones include The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Everything else falls between mildly interesting (Robin Hood) to abyssmal (I'm looking at you Pocahontas).
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby MiltonWaddams on Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:21 am

Sword in the Stone anybody? It's old school Disney, but it's also a fabulous cartoon. Bill Peet did the story and character design, coming from writing children's books. I will say this one time only: Bill Peet is the Bruce Lee of children's books.

Emperor's New Groove is new-school Disney's most enjoyable release. I let the kids at school pick when we watch movies, and it's almost always that one.
Urer yvrf Z.J.
Xvyyrq ol ungr naq vafvqr wbxrf.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON

Postby dislexsickNik on Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:01 am

the black cauldron

It's the best disney by far in my eyes

i also think oliver and Company was another good one that didnt do aswell as it should have
dislexsickNik
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:06 am

I dig Sleeping beauty. Just for the Evil Queens speech to ol' Prince Charming, abot how he's only going to lay his eyes on beauty when he's old and haggard and limp dicked. HAHAHAa...
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Chilli on Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:45 am

Robin Hood
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:22 am

Good to see THe Fox and the Hound getting a shout out - I remember going to see it at the cinema and really enjoying it. Who started out on that as well - I think it may have been Tim Burton's first pic?

Anyhoo - over the years it's come in for some criticism, which I think was a bit harsh.

Old School Disney? Jungle Book closely followed by Peter Pan. Jungle Book has just the funkiest score and too many iconic characters to mention - Peter Pan, I dunno...just a strong early childhood memory...it was the first ever film that had me feeling tingly coming out, not just going in.

Maybe it was that whole Big Ben sequence.....just made it feel a bit closer to home.

Modern Disney?

Well....if the Genie had been more Genie and less Adrian Cronauer then it would have been Aladdin (and yes, I know Robin williams celebrated turn did more to bring Disney up to date than any teapot, candilibre et al - but I personally didn't enjoy his performance on account of the rest of the flm took a back seat as a result - as most RW movies normally do).

So I state The Lion King instead. The stampede sequence was an important one in terms of 2d technology.....as redundant as that may sound......and as an ensemble piece it paid enough homage to traditional Disney standards whilst taking it into a new milennia at the same time.....
Last edited by Doc Holliday on Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:26 am

FANTASIA

Which proved that the mouse had his nose in some sweet
(and extremely powerful) mushrooms.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:30 am

Robin Hood was great fun... i always have a soft spot for Sports Goofy - man did i wear out that Beta Tape... and the little mermaid was cool cause it's when the disney babes started to be real fucking hot... :wink:

but Beauty and the Beast was great - and i love the fact that it was actually nominated for Best Picture... that would've been cool if it'd won...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:34 am

Onna pure artistic anna craftsmanship level, you canna deny that a the every frame of a the "Snow White," she is a packed full of a the story, no? From a the graceful animated movements of a the Snow White to a the shenanigans of a the dwarfs to a the set design of a the dwarves' cottage (i.e. look at alla the details inna the woodwork, eh?), you can a see a the love anna the care that alla the animators, they put inna to a the film, eh?

"Beauty anna the Beast," she donna even a come a close. Donna get a me wrong, I love a that movie too, but it donna match a the standard set by a the first Disney feature.
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:38 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Onna pure artistic anna craftsmanship level, you canna deny that a the every frame of a the "Snow White," she is a packed full of a the story, no? From a the graceful animated movements of a the Snow White to a the shenanigans of a the dwarfs to a the set design of a the dwarves' cottage (i.e. look at alla the details inna the woodwork, eh?), you can a see a the love anna the care that alla the animators, they put inna to a the film, eh?

"Beauty anna the Beast," she donna even a come a close. Donna get a me wrong, I love a that movie too, but it donna match a the standard set by a the first Disney feature.

plus - Dino was around when Snow White first came out...

SteamBoat Mickey was always a favorite of mine too...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Shane on Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:36 am

I would have to say that Beauty and the Beast is my favorite of the newer ones.

Reading everyone else's posts, I'm re-thinking my origional statement, there were alot more good disney films than I recalled.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Alex DeLarge on Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:36 am

No love for Dumbo in here?

Some of my favorites are The Lion King, Dumbo, 101 Dalmatians, Bambi, and The Jungle Book

Some of the new ones that i thought were alright were Atlantis, The Emporers New Groove and Tarzan.
Alex DeLarge
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:38 am

Alex DeLarge wrote:No love for Dumbo in here?

"When I see an elephant fly........."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:38 am

Atlantis?

I've never even heard of that one.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:45 am

Wow, no votes for FANTASIA?

Damn.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:53 am

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:Wow, no votes for FANTASIA?

Damn.

I could do with watching it again, but this time as an adult. As a kid I was always "too young" to appreciate it: the first time I saw it I was just bored (Why isn't Mickey talking? Why he not make with the funny so much?) and the second time I was if anything faintly annoyed by it (You were told to leave it alone...this is silly. Followed by - he's trying to make good but nothing is doing as it is told, this is a stitch up, life is unfair).

The elephants were just confusing...and.....dare I say it....boring. Like the Laugh-a-lympics cartoon but without the laughs.

To a kid...I caveat all this with "To a kids eyes"....

I vaguely remember in my teen years, the Dad of a good friend..who was and remains to this day mad about film....well, he tried to drive home to both of us what a significant role Fantasia played in the history of animation.

Unfortunately it was the eighties so I was probably day-dreaming about hiring Action Jackson out or something....

But this provokes the question - is Fantasia remembered more for being a very important chapter in the development of animation....or is it very good regardless. As a kid, I thought it sucked.

I'm guessing I know your answer already Zombie... :D
Last edited by Doc Holliday on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:00 am

Doc Holliday wrote:But this provokes the question - is Fantasia remembered more for being a very important chapter in the development of animation....or is it very good regardless. As a kid, I thought it sucked.

I think its known primarily for being the most insanely perfect and
amazing consonance between music and animation ever made.

For me, even as a kid, I was awed. 'Specially the whole crazy
demon apocalypse / cosmic angelic redemption at the end?
Amazing! Scary as shit too!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby JabberJaw on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:01 am

Old school would be Snow White

modern, Lion King gets my vote.

i also like the rescuers
ImageImage
JabberJaw
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:01 am

It's a too bad about a Disney's "Atlantis: The Lost Empire" anna "Treasure Planet," eh? Both of a them relatively good a films, with a not a the musical number inna site, with a the lots of a the adventure anna even a some character deaths... anna they bomb inna the box office, eh?

"Treasure Planet," she was a the first-class uppa'grade to a the original RLS "Treasure Island," anna "Atlantis," she was a surely more epic inna scope than a most of a the kiddie-fare... but, the peoples? They wanna the singing animals making with a the funny, no?

Anna admittedly, the merchandising potential, she is a much a more potent with a the funny animals.

So Disney, she try to branch out anna make a the animation for a the slightly older audience, only to find a that she donna exist.
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:11 am

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:But this provokes the question - is Fantasia remembered more for being a very important chapter in the development of animation....or is it very good regardless. As a kid, I thought it sucked.

I think its known primarily for being the most insanely perfect and
amazing consonance between music and animation ever made.

For me, even as a kid, I was awed. 'Specially the whole crazy
demon apocalypse / cosmic angelic redemption at the end?
Amazing! Scary as shit too!

....and this is exactly why I should rewatch as an adult! I defer, Zombie....

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:12 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:It's a too bad about a Disney's "Atlantis: The Lost Empire" anna "Treasure Planet," eh? Both of a them relatively good a films, with a not a the musical number inna site, with a the lots of a the adventure anna even a some character deaths... anna they bomb inna the box office, eh?

"Treasure Planet," she was a the first-class uppa'grade to a the original RLS "Treasure Island," anna "Atlantis," she was a surely more epic inna scope than a most of a the kiddie-fare... but, the peoples? They wanna the singing animals making with a the funny, no?

Anna admittedly, the merchandising potential, she is a much a more potent with a the funny animals.

So Disney, she try to branch out anna make a the animation for a the slightly older audience, only to find a that she donna exist.

I keep forgetting all about Atlantis, without ever really having much of a sense of what direction they took it in. Gotta say Dino, from your summary I am pretty interested to catch this now - thanks! :D

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:21 am

I've seen Fantasia 2000 laying around, is it the same film as Fantasia or isit a different movie all together?
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:24 am

Doc Holliday wrote:I keep forgetting all about Atlantis, without ever really having much of a sense of what direction they took it in. Gotta say Dino, from your summary I am pretty interested to catch this now - thanks! :D

She also has a some good character designs from a the Mike Mignola, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Alex DeLarge on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:27 am

Yeah, its too bad all of Disney's animated adventures bombed(Treasure Island, Titan A.E., Atlantis, Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas), I would have liked to see more. .
Alex DeLarge
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Shane on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:27 am

Well reading everyone's posts here I am deciding on what my boys will be watching for a while. |I'm starting togain intrest inDisney films.
Mike Mignila did character designs for Disney?
holy crapI had no Idea.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:28 am

Alex DeLarge wrote:Yeah, its too bad all of Disney's animated adventures bombed(Treasure Island, Titan A.E., Atlantis, Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas), I would have liked to see more. .

Yeah, especially when a the putzes chalk uppa the bombs from a the other studios (Titan A.E., Sinbad) to Disney! It gives a them a the bad name, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Shane on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:30 am

I loved Titan A.E. but that's kind of off track.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:31 am

Shane wrote:Mike Mignila did character designs for Disney?

He also did a some a work for a the Hanna-Barbera, eh? He totally reinvigorated the Mignilla Gorilla character, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Shane on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:32 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

He also did a some a work for a the Hanna-Barbera, eh? He totally reinvigorated the Mignilla Gorilla character, eh?

When? Where?

Wow I think I under estimated these cartoons maybee.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:33 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
Alex DeLarge wrote:Yeah, its too bad all of Disney's animated adventures bombed(Treasure Island, Titan A.E., Atlantis, Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas), I would have liked to see more. .

Yeah, especially when a the putzes chalk uppa the bombs from a the other studios (Titan A.E., Sinbad) to Disney! It gives a them a the bad name, eh?

PWN3D! :lol:

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:34 am

TARZAN

J/K, never seen it, was never really a big fan of Disney Films, especially the new ones althought Beauty and the Beast was good apart from the songs.

My all time favourite has got to be Snow White, absolutley brilliant, and scary in places too, Notable mentions go out to Pinnochio, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo and Fantasia.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:36 am

Shane wrote:I've seen Fantasia 2000 laying around, is it the same film as Fantasia or isit a different movie all together?

Different movie altogether. And nowhere near as good as Fantastia.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Alex DeLarge on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:38 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:I keep forgetting all about Atlantis, without ever really having much of a sense of what direction they took it in. Gotta say Dino, from your summary I am pretty interested to catch this now - thanks! :D

She also has a some good character designs from a the Mike Mignola, eh?

Almost all of the characters and most of the plot was stolen from Nadia: secret of Blue Water.
web.neomedia.it/queensquier/nadia-atlantis-I.htm
I still like it though
Last edited by Alex DeLarge on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex DeLarge
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby John-Locke on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:39 am

Shane wrote:I've seen Fantasia 2000 laying around, is it the same film as Fantasia or isit a different movie all together?

I thought it was the same film just given the special edition treatment, I've never seen it but thats what I was lead to believe.

Over to IMDB I go.

I want to see that short Disney did with Dali, looks weird.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Alex DeLarge on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:41 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

:oops: My bad
Alex DeLarge
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:44 am

Shane wrote:
DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

When? Where?

Wow I think I under estimated these cartoons maybee.

:shock:

It's a like a shooting the little fishies inna the barrel, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:44 am

Wow this is a hard debate.....Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 are great flicks but are so vastly different from either their musical or adventure fare I am not sure you can compare them to the rest of their catalogue. Fantasia is also noteworthy for introducing the first truly stereophonic sound system to movies infact the sound system was designed to be portable with the film rather than forcing cinemas to install all new tech.

I can agree with Dino on the care taken in Snow White but in hindsight I dislike the inconsistency between the rotoscoped humans and the (in my opinion much better animated) dwarves.

I like Song of the South though it is far from PC. Make Mine Music is an interesting sort of follow up to Fantasia.

because I haven't seen it listed yet how about 101 Dalmations (animated not those tripe live ones), The Rescuers or The Great Mouse Detective.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:45 am

Oh snap....
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:46 am

John-Locke wrote:
I want to see that short Disney did with Dali, looks weird.

The baseball one? Never went anywhere.....all that exist are some preliminary art work.

I disagree here......well the live intro sections could have used some punching up but the animation and music selections were very good.
Last edited by Chairman Kaga on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:47 am

The Great Mouse Detective Basil, I used to love that, I forgot all about that one.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:48 am

Alex DeLarge wrote:Almost all of the characters and most of the plot was stolen from Nadia: secret of Blue Water.

Yes, I donna doubt it... I remember reading a something about a that back inna the day. You also gonna to find a the LOT of a the similarities to a the "Kimba the White Lion" anna the "Lion King," no? You got a the Kimba/Simba name, the exact a same look of a the Pride Rock, the hyenas, anna you got a the Rafiki/Baboon character, for example, eh?... lots anna lots of a the similarities...
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:51 am

Dino wasn't that some issue where the author had worked for Disney at the time he wrote Kimba and as a result their "we own everything you produce while employed here" clause kicked in?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Animation